The Fire

Hidden Voice

Baekhyun's p.o.v.

"What happened in your past?" He asked. My eyes widened as I remembered a painful memory. Thinking of what happened in the past made me cry and I couldn't stop. "Hey. Hey. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry," the curly-haired boy said. For a second I almost forgot he was there. I wiped the tears away, crying in front of someone was so embarrassing.

 

"I'm sorry. It's not your fault," I assured him.

 

"But, why would you be sad? I mean I'm sure you have a great family that loves you and takes care of you," he said.

 

"I did," I responded nonchalantly.

 

"You did? What do you mean you 'did'?" He asked. "Oh sorry! If you don't want to talk about it then I won't force you to."

 

I was reluctant whether I should tell him or not. In the end, I just blurted it all out. I couldn’t keep it all in forever, I needed to let it out. "My family died by a fire when I was eight and I was the only survivor," I told him.

 

He asked, "how did you survive?"

 

"I was outside. The house wasn't too far away, so while I was out, I smelt something burning. I ran back to check on the house, and then, I saw it." I choked back a tear.

 

"Are you okay?" He frowned. "If you don't want to say anymore then I understand. Don't push yourself too much."

 

"I'm fine," I waved it off. "But, my house was on fire, and I couldn't even do anything about it. The firemen arrived; I was so scared. I ran inside of the house, desperately trying to find my family. I didn't want to believe they were dead, but if they were, I wanted to die with them. Before the fire engulfed me too, one of the firemen saved me. I didn't want him to. I wanted to die with my family. I don't want to be alone. I wanted to die. I wanted to die so badly at the time," I couldn't hold back anymore and started crying. I felt two arms wrap around me.

 

"You're not alone, from now on I'll always be with you. I promise," he comforted me.

 

I looked up at him and hugged him. "Thank you," I said to him. It felt good to finally say it all out to someone, although it was to a random person. We sat next to each other for awhile in silence. It was getting rather late, so I stood up and smiled, "I got to go. It's getting late, and I'll get in trouble if I don't get home soon."  

 

He responded, "yeah, I got to go too, but..um.. Do you want to maybe come here to meet again tomorrow?"

 

I looked at him for a while, surprised by the sudden invitation. I finally said something in response. "Yes," I smiled.

 

He smiled back and we went our separate ways. While I was walking back to the house, I kept thinking about him.

 

I sighed. "Why did I tell him about my past? I don't even know him, but he was nice and he did comfort me," I thought. While still thinking about him, I smiled. My smile turned into a frown when I reached my house, or as I like to call it, hell. I stepped inside and then felt a sharp pain across on my right cheek.

 

 

Chanyeol’s p.o.v.

I was walking back home, and I couldn’t get those puppy brown eyes out of my head. His smooth, polished brown hair gently blowing in rhythm with the wind. I sighed, “he must be going through a lot.” I really did feel bad for him. I decided that I will always be there to help and support him. “But what if he doesn’t like me. Or maybe he doesn’t trust me. Well, we are strangers. What if he doesn’t come back tomorrow?” Thoughts were going through my head, making me worried. But all of my worries about the brunette went away and new worries came rushing to me. In front of me was an enormous house, my house. I bit my lower lip, took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. A girl in a maid dress opened the door. She had blonde, twin braids, deep brown eyes, and fair skin.

 

“Welcome back, young master,” she greeted with a smile. I nodded. “The master would like to see you in his study,” she informed. Ugh, I know she’s just doing her job, but why did she have to tell me that the moment I get back, I thought as I followed her to my father’s study. When we reached the room, the maid bowed and left. I took a deep breath, yet again, and opened the door.

 

 

Baekhyun’s P.O.V.

Right when I walked in, something slapped me across my face. I touched my stinging right cheek with my hand. I was shocked and surprised by the sudden hit. I looked up to see the one who hit me. I saw a woman in her thirties. This woman was supposed to take care of me, but instead she does the exact opposite. I guess you can say I’m like Cinderella, except without my prince charming and a happily ever after.

 

 

Chanyeol’s P.O.V.

I walked into a big, spacious room. There was a desk and a chair at the end of the room. Behind it was a large glass window which barely lit the room, since the sun was setting, along with a few candles.

 

“You wished to see me father?” I asked. There was a man looking outside through the window, which I could only see the back of him. When he turned around I could see his muscular face, light brown hair, and hazel eyes. His tired eyes were a flaw to his handsome features.

 

“Yes, I did,” my father responded. He looked me straight in the eyes and asked, “where were you?”

 

“I was taking a walk, Father,” I told him.

 

“To where?” he asked strictly.

 

My father is an honest man and always help those who are in need, but he’s also very strict. He wasn’t always like this. Ever since my sister was murdered, he’s been strict and hard of me lately. My sister was fifteen years old when she died, one year older than me. We were really close to each other, and I loved her, but when I found out she suddenly died a mysterious cause, I was devastated. Not only did my mom died of a disease when I was little, I also lost my sister. I barely ate or drank anything and rarely got out of my room. The servants were worried about me. After months have past, I was finally over my sister’s death, but not completely, I was still going to treasure her in my heart. After my sister’s incident, that’s when my father started becoming strict.

 

“To a lake,” I responded.

 

“Did you see anyone?” He questioned.

 

“Just one person.”

 

“Who was it?!” he asked loudly.

 

“It was a boy, but he was small and seemed harmless,” I reassured him.

 

“Just because he seemed harmless that doesn’t mean he is. He could’ve killed or kidnapped you.”

 

“But he didn’t,” I cut him off.

 

“Don’t ever go in the forest again,” he said dangerously low.

 

“But--”

 

“Don’t!” he screamed angrily.

 

I was mad at my father. How could he be so unfair? He didn’t even meet the small boy yet and he’s already assuming that he’s bad. I groaned loudly and stomped to the door. I opened the door and walked out of that room, frustrated. I slammed the door shut and hurriedly walked to my room, needing to be alone. The fragile boy was all that I thought about. How am I going to see him now? Will I be able to see him? Is he going to be mad at me for not seeing him tomorrow? He’s going to think I lied to him.

 

“Ugh, this is so unfair!” I shouted, laying down on the bed. It was dark outside and there were so little stars out. I was exhausted. Maybe I should rest a little. My eyes slowly closed itself and I allowed myself to succumb to sleep.

 

------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Hi! Thank you so much for subscribing~ ^^ I've been sick this whole week and my grades have been dropping as a result. But I'll still try to update as soon as possible to not keep you guys waiting. I tried to make the part about Baekhyun's past sad, but failed. Chanyeol's father won't let him meet Baekhyun tomorrow. Hohoho. Deja vu. Chanyeol can't go to the lake and Baekhyun will be alone again.. just like nine years ago...Anyways, thanks again so much for reading!~