Look Deep

Hidden Voice

 

Baekhyun's p.o.v

I opened the door and poked my head out into the dark, empty hallway. I swept back inside and changed out of my pajamas into a navy blue shirt accompanied with a white and light blue striped jacket. I didn't have a lot of clothes, probably just a few plain old, tattered shirts and pants. The mirror, which was old and had many small cracks, reflected my attire and bedhead.

 

Suddenly, I heard a loud bang and turned around to see what it was. To my surprise, I saw nothing but a bed and a drawer with a single candle on it, illuminating the room. "What was that sound? Was it the old hag? But it's still early in the morning, so she shouldn't be up yet," I reasoned. Deciding it was just my imagination, I ignored it and turned back to my reflection.

 

Another bang goes off and I trembled in fear as I realized it was not my imagination. There were no hiding spots in such a cramped room. My breathing was getting heavier by the second. "Oh no, what should I do?" I panicked.

 

Chanyeol’s p.o.v

I climbed out of bed sweaty and quickly changed my clothes. I didn't wear anything too fancy, just a white shirt with a gray hoodie over and black skinny jeans. My red shoes contrasted from all the dark clothing. The mirror in front of me reflected my uncombed, disheveled dark hair and deep brown eyes that gleamed.

 

I took a deep breath and walked out of my room. As I walked to the main hall where the front door was, I was greeted by the many maids and butlers that works here, which I responded with a smile and a light nod.

 

I wandered outside to where the garden was: the sun shining down on me, blocking my vision, making it to see clearly. I can barely make out an arch that blended in with the green leaves and flowers, vines drooping down along with lavender lillies. I walked forward, closer to the beautiful archway and further into the deep green garden. Nothing but the bushes, flowers, and grass surrounded me. As I continued down deeper, a certain brunette with puppy-like eyes came back into my head.

 

Who is he? Why was he by lake in the first place? Barely anyone went by the forest again ever since there was a fire. Because of that many people restrained themselves from wandering in there, my family being one of them. After the fire incident, my father restricted me from ever going near the forest.

 

So many questions clouded my head, but there was one that bothered me the most. Will I be able to see him again? Completely distracted by my thoughts, I tripped on something hard and fell onto the rough, concrete stone floor.

 

I groaned and looked down at my hands, blood now dripping onto the floor. "What the heck did I trip on?" I asked myself, looking around. A dull, silver handle was sticking up from the ground. "What the heck is this? A trapdoor? I don't remember this ever being here. Then again, I rarely ever go to this part of the garden." Curious about what's on the other side of the wooden door, I gripped the handle tightly and pulled on the uncooperative door. It must have been a long time since someone last opened it because the trapdoor was sealed shut onto the ground; I had to use all of my strength to open it.

 

Once the door eventually opened, I peeked my head into the darkness. The sun provided me with some light, but not much.

 

"I won't be able to see anything at this rate," I said to myself in a melancholy accent. All I need is some source of light. I stood still, thinking; a few minutes later, I ran back into my house and grabbed the candle lantern on the drawer beside my bed.

 

As I was reaching the front door, my dad stopped me, "Where do you think you're going?" He asked in a hoarse tone.

 

"Just going to walk around in the garden," I nodded and exited. I sighed and stopped to catch my breath after running to inside and back out.

 

The trapdoor was so much farther than it seemed last time. Walking closer to the still open door, I was bothered whether I should go in or not. After thinking for minutes, I finally decided to man up and go in. "That's the reason you got the candle in the first place," I told myself.

 

The entrance was narrow, but my thin figure was able to fit through. I didn't expect the hole to be this big and fell onto the dry, rough dirt. My white shirt now brown and my legs scraped, resulting in a bleeding cut. I managed to get up and dusted some of the dirt off.

 

 

Relieved and also surprised to see that the candle didn't blow out, I looked around, "What is this place? Does dad know about this?" Curious, I wandered around in the tunnel. It was painful to walk, not to mention I also forgot to eat breakfast. "Does this even lead to anywhere?" I continued walking the long, rocky path, until I was reluctant to go any further. Before I could head back, I saw light peering through a small hole on the woodened wall.

 

 

Feeling the need to look through, I told myself, "After all, I didn't walk all this way for nothing." I couldn't see anything through the hole because some kind of cloth was blocking my view; however, the smell of smoke was lingering in the dusty air.

 

 

"Is something burning?" I sniffed, coughing a little because of the dust. The smell wasn't too strong, so I assumed that it was just a candle burning. I started pushing on what appears to be a trap door. It was difficult considering it was on the ceiling of the cave. Luckily I was tall and managed to open the door smootly, climbing up to see what was above. To my surprise, when I got to the top, I saw a pale boy who looked oddly familiar.

 

 

"Ah! You're the one from the lake!" I gasped, before feeling a sharp pain on my head.

 

Baekhyun's p.o.v

I kept walking around, trying to find where the noise was coming from. The thumping was getting louder as I got closer to the wool carpet. I bent down and leaned my ear onto the ground. "It's definitely coming from here," I whispered. Of course, curiosity got the best of me and I lifted the carpet, and to my surprise, saw a trap door. "Has this always been here? Does stepmother know about this?" I questioned. When I went to open the door, it suddenly moved. Someone is definitely trying to open it. My whole body was trembling as I stepped away and grabbed the candle-stand, the best item in this empty room that I can try to threaten to use as a weapon. I slowly walked closer back to the trap door. It was obvious that the person on the other side couldn't open it. My grip on the candle tightened and I opened it as fast as I could.

 

"Ah! You're the one from the lake!" the stranger said. Before I could even hear what he said, I swung the candle down as fast as I could, without even looking to see who it was. "Uwah!" I heard someone scream along with a loud thump. The person's voice sounded familar. I turned to face the person, who was now lying on the ground inside the hole. I stood there, frozen, realizing who the stranger was. 

 

"You!" I pointed, my eyes widening at the shock. 

 

He opened his eyes and looked up to see me, his eyes widening,"So it is you."

 

I knelt down and reached out my hand to him. He stared at me for a second and accepted my hand. I pulled him up, which was hard to do, considering he was a giant. When he finally managed to get up, we both laid on the ground, both our eyes closed. After what felt like a minute of trying to catch our breath, we finally got up. We stared at each other until he said, "This is a big coincidence." 

 

It was a big coincidence. Did he stalk me here? "Why are you here and how did you find that place?" 

 

"I honestly don't even know. I found this trap door in my backyard and sorta fell down. I was actually really curious, so I followed where it led to and I ended up here," he explained with a big smile on his face, brushing off the dirt that stained his shirt. 

 

Silence then filled the room, the creaking of the floorboard was heard lout and sharp. I could hear the footsteps from far away gradually coming closer. 

 

"Oh no," I panicked, realizing who was coming. I opened the closet and grabbed a handful of clothes, throwing them underneath my bed. 

 

"Wh-what's going on?" the black haired boy asked, as I pushed him into the now empty closet. 

 

"Just stay here until I tell you, you can come out." I shut the closet door shut and laid back onto my bed.

 

The door swung open and my stepmother stared at me suspiciously. "What are you doing?" she asked sternly, voice loud and clear. 

 

"I just woke up," I answered my head facing downwards. 

 

"Well get up. You're supposed to be downstairs cleaning the kitchen," she ordered. 

 

"I'm sorry. I'll be there right away," I bowed as she slammed the door and walked away. "You can come out now," I said, as the elf-eared boy's head stuck out of the closet door. 

 

Chanyeol's p.o.v

"You can come out now." I heard the small boy say. I pushed my closet door and saw his cute face, obviously stressed out. Bags were mocking his tired brown puppy eyes and he was ghastly pale. 

 

"What happened?" I asked. 

 

"I have to do chores real quick, I'll be right back," he said as he made his way out the door. He turned back to me and added, "And don't leave this room or make any loud noises. If someone comes in, hide." 

 

I just nodded my head and he closed the door gently, leaving me alone, alone in his room."That was so awkward," I sighed, "Who would've thought my garden would lead me to his house." I thought about all that happened from the lake to now, when I realized I still didn't know his name. I'll ash him when he comes back. I laid down on his bed and smiled. "At least I can see her again." My eyes closed as I fell into a deep sleep, thinking of a brown haired puppy. 

 

Baekhyun's p.o.v

I went to the kitchen with a mop and a bucket of water. What am I? Cinderella?! Gosh, I'm going to run away one day and hopefully I'll find my prince charming. I huffed at the thought of that, as if that'll happen. Anyways, that boy better not steal anything; well, it's not like I have anything of value. I quickly cleaned the tiles, when Boram, Meiko's neice came in looking for food. As she walked to the counter, she left behind a trail of mud and water. "Can you please take off your shoes next time if you're going to play outside and come back in?" I asked, annoyed that I have to clean it again. 

 

"Oh sorry," she took off her shoes after grabbing a slife of bread and left. I watched her exit out the wooden door as I thought to myself that she doesn't isn't anything like her aunt. Soyeon, her aunt,was strict and mean, nothing like little Boram. Boram was a sweet, kind nine year old girl and I hope she stays that way. Although, I wished she would help me clean the mess she made, but she hates doing the chores and there's only one broom. 

 

I wondered what it would be like Soyeon was as kind and caring as Boram. Immediately after I finished cleaning the kitchen floor, I ran back to my room as fast as my skinny legs could take me. 

 

"Sorry I took so..." my voice trailed off as I saw him sleeping soundly on my bed. I closed the door behind me softly and went to sit on the side of my bed slowly, careful not to wake him up. A smile unconsciously crept on my face at the image of the boy's sleeping face. Cute. 

 

Even though it was afternoon and I just woke up not too long ago, my eyes were slowly closing itself shut. As I drifted into sleep, my head laid on something warm and comforting. "I don't even know you're name yet," I realized as drowsiness engulfed me. 

 

------------------------------

AN: Sorry it took a while to update this. Right after I finished finals, I had to pack up because I was going to Hong Kong. While at Hong Kong, I didn't have any WiFi so I couldn't upload at all. Then when I finally came back, I started typing this chapter down but then AFF crashed and I had to redo the whole thing. orz. Hope you guys had a great fourth of July. Saranghae <3

Btw there's a reason why the font changes right in the middle of this chapter which has nothing to do with the story. I just typed half of it only Google Docs and copied and pasted but then it changed back to the original font as I was typing. TT