Car Ride

Hidden Voice

Baekhyun's P.O.V

Once Chanyeol left the room, I released a breath that I unknowingly held. Shutting my eyes tightly, I thought of the events that just occurred.

I can't believe I broke into someone's house. Isn't this illegal? But then again it's Chanyeol's own house, so I guess not?

Still feeling anxious while chanting in my head for Chanyeol to hurry up, I looked around at the room I was currently in.

My eyes widened when I realized how big the room was. This was definitely ten times the size of my tiny room. Feeling embarrassed at Chanyeol seeing my room compared to his, I wandered around the spacious area.

Not only was his room much bigger than mine, his bed could also be considered ten times bigger. Chanyeol was after all a giant.

I instinctively climbed onto his bed, surprised to feel the soft and fluffy mattress, allowing me to sink slowly down into its comforting warmth.

This day had been exciting, but nevertheless exhausting. Never had I done so much exercise since I was little, yet I was still able to maintain my slim figure. Probably because Soyeon gives me little to nothing to eat.

I snuggled tightly with the warm comforter. Hugging onto one of Chanyeol's pillows, his scent lingered delightfully on the cozy cotton. Reminded of Chanyeol, I smiled at all the events that happened being together with him.

Memories of a certain curly boy’s soft lips on mine filled my mind before I gladly welcomed the inviting darkness. My eyes slowly closed, blurring my vision of the elegant decor in the room.

Before I could lose consciousness, my eyes shot wide open as I heard someone banging in the door repeatedly. Chanyeol? But he told me that we would knock three times.

Fear and anxiety was taking over me as I peeked from behind the blanket to look at the sturdy door. I stared at the wooden white door, hoping the person on the other side will leave; but the banging only intensified. The knocks were getting harder; I wouldn't be surprised if the door actually breaks down. It's been over a minute now and the person stubbornly kept knocking.

They say fear drives a person to do crazy things. Fear of getting caught; fear of getting arrested for breaking and entering; fear of separating from Chanyeol.

I got out of the bed, the cold tiles stinging my warm feet. I slowly crept to the door, the banging was now getting louder with each step I took.

My wide eyes focused on the door in front of me. Hoping to not make any noise, I tiptoe my way to the mocking door. I gripped the cold metal handle firmly. Before I could unlock it, the banging suddenly stopped. Instead, I could hear people talking.

My eyebrows furrowed and I leaned my right ear pressed against the door to hear what the people behind the door were saying.

In a deep booming voice, the man on the other side was saying something about going to the city. “Chanyeol.” I perked my ears at the mention of Chanyeol's name.

I was tempted to open the door, hoping to see the giant elf. Instead, I pressed my ear closer against the door.

“I'm going to be staying in city for a while for business. Would you like to come with me?”

I felt my heart skipped a beat when I heard Chanyeol's voice. “I was actually planning on going to the city too. I'm going to a friend's house.”

There was complete silence after. After a minute of uncomfortable silence, I heard the man speak in a demanding low voice. “Who?” I immediately shivered, feeling the goosebumps on my arm.

“It's just Sehun and Luhan,” Chanyeol replied.

I heard the man sigh and I let out a quiet breath I unconsciously held. “Okay. Then let's get going. I have a meeting in two hours and I have to get ready.”

“Actually dad, I'm going to go a little later today. You go first, I have to finish up some summer homework.”

I could hear footsteps getting further away. Chanyeol's dad must be leaving. “Oh and dad. I'm going to stay at my apartment, so I won't be going to the house.”

The man said nothing and his footsteps were once again gradually getting softer. I heard Chanyeol sigh. He must not have a very good relationship with his dad.

I heard three knocks on the door momentarily and immediately opened it.

Chanyeol’s eyes were bigger than usual. “Were you listening?”

I nodded my head, staring at the floor. “I’m sorry.”

Chanyeol stared at me and pulled me into an embrace in his strong arms. “It's okay. It's not like I want to hide anything from you. Like I said before, I want to get to know the you now and you should get to know the me now.” Chanyeol smiled warmly.

I smiled and nodded my head in understanding. “So then are we going to go later since you have homework to do?”

“Hm? Oh no. I just told him that so I could get an excuse to go with you. My dad wouldn't be too fond of the idea of bringing someone he doesn't know with me. Anyways we can go now.” Chanyeol grabbed my hand and led me out the room.

“Wait,” I stopped in my track, “What about the ladder?”

“Oh yeah. I forgot you can't be seen. Alright, I'll go down first.” Chanyeol pushed himself out the window and disappeared.

I looked down the open window and saw the top of Chanyeol's curly hair. The cool breeze hitting softly against my cheeks.

“Baek, come down,” Chanyeol called.

I pushed myself up over the window and tried to find my balance on the ladder. I climbed down slowly and looked down every now and then. I can see Chanyeol watching me intently with a worried expression. When I finally reached the bottom, my feet were planted firmly to the ground.

Chanyeol had a proud smile on his face. “Nice job. I'm going to put the ladder back and then we can head to the garage to get the car.”

I nodded my head as I watched Chanyeol take down the ladder with care. I grabbed the other end of it, giving Chanyeol a small smile, which he responded with a toothy grin.

The ladder was heavier than I expected, but I knew Chanyeol was at the other end to support me. We gently placed the ladder down with ease and sighed. Chanyeol turned to my direction, “garage is this way.” He pointed to a small building, attached to the main house.

I nodded and silently followed him. The silence wasn't awkward, but I still felt the need to say something. “That was exciting,” I blurted out.

Chanyeol stared at me, but continued walking. Once again the silence engulfed the two of us. I let out a soft gasp when I felt Chanyeol's hand lacing themselves with mine. I looked towards Chanyeol with widened eyes, but he acted as if nothing happened. A small smile graced my face and we continued walking with the heat of our hands interlaced.

We were at the garage not too long after and I noticed that it was just an average size garage compared to the gigantic mansion Chanyeol resided in. You’d think with a big house there’d be a big garage. However, the garage door slowly opened, revealing what's inside.

Speechless, I stared in awe at the three cars, the flat screen TV, the luxurious white couch, the mini refrigerator, the organized rack of shoes. This is a garage? This is more like a house!

Chanyeol must've seen me gawking and chuckled. I glared at him before walking to one of the cars. Unlike the other two, this one was less flashy and expensive looking. It was a white convertible with tinted windows; inside were cream leather seats, contrasting with the light brown carpet.

“We can ride in that car if you want,” I heard Chanyeol say from across the garage. He grabbed one of the car keys hanging on the wall.

I didn't say anything and waited for Chanyeol to unlock the door.

“It's unlocked you know,” Chanyeol chuckled lightly.

To my embarrassment, I hung my head down and pulled on the car handle. True to his words, the door was unlocked and opened smoothly. I quickly went inside to hide my flushed cheeks.

Chanyeol came in a second later after opening the garage door. He stared at me with a worried expression, “Are you sure you're fine with going to the city?”

It was my turn to chuckle softly at how caring Chanyeol was. Ever since my parents died, there wasn't anyone who bothered to care about me. The warm feeling Chanyeol was giving me felt relieving and comforting. “I'm positive. I'll be fine. Besides, I really want to meet your friends too,” I smiled to show that I was really fine with going.

Chanyeol gave me a small smile and nodded. “Okay, but if something happens or you don't feel comfortable just tell me. Pinky promise?” Chanyeol said as he stuck out his pinky towards me.

Hearing Chanyeol say that with a serious yet cute face made me laugh louder than I intended. I saw Chanyeol pout, his pinky still waiting to be interlaced with mine.

“Baeeekkk. I'm serious,” he whined.

I swiped away a fake tear and looked him in the eyes. I hooked my pinky with his and smiled at his innocent and childish act. “I promise Chanyeol.”

We stared at each other in a daze, neither one of us breaking the silence. Chanyeol cleared his throat, breaking the silence, and turned towards the wheel. “We should get going. It's a long drive from here.”

I nodded my head in agreement; my heart was thumping loudly against my chest.

Chanyeol started the engine and slowly backed out of the garage. After a minute of driving, no words were exchanged between the two of us; Chanyeol was busy concentrating on the road. The silence wasn't awkward, in fact it was comforting.

The comforting silence, however, was disturbed when I said out of nowhere, “Thank you.” I stared straight ahead towards the road, not wanting to look Chanyeol in the eyes.

I could feel his stare on me that only lasted for a second before he turned his attention back onto the road. “For what?”

I thought about what to respond; I was thankful for so many things Chanyeol's done for me. “For being a part of my life.” I smiled at him.

Chanyeol sighed, still focused on the road. “Aish. Have you always been this cheesy?” Chanyeol then gasped, “Oh yeah.” He pulled to the side of the road, despite still being in the middle of the forest with absolutely no other cars around. The silent road and the cool breeze swaying the thin trees captivated my attention.

Suddenly, I felt a weight on my lap and looked down to see a neatly wrapped up sandwich. It was then that I realized how hungry I was. I guess I was too excited about the whole sneaking into Chanyeol's house that I forgot about my growling stomach.

“Did you forget how hungry you were?” Chanyeol chuckled, making my cheeks turn a slight tint of pink.

I looked down to hide my blush. Chanyeol took my unattended sandwich from my lap and unwrapped it. Worried that he was going to eat my sandwich, I quickly turned to grab it back. “Hey-” I called out before he stuffed the sandwich into my mouth.

“Eat. A cheese sandwich for a cheesy person,” he teased.

I frowned, “did you bring one for yourself?”

Chanyeol dug into his pocket and pulled out another sandwich.

“You have a big pocket.”

Chanyeol shrugged and took a big bite of the sandwich. I didn't realize I was staring until Chanyeol turned to me with a weird look, “Why are you staring at me? Eat your own sandwich instead of watching me eat mine.” He shoved my sandwich in front of my face.

I grabbed my sandwich out of his hold. “I wasn't staring,” I mumbled loud enough for Chanyeol to hear. I turned to look out the window, taking small bites of my sandwich.

I missed the small smile plastered on the curly haired boy’s face. “Is it okay if I go to this one place first before we go to my friend’s house?” Chanyeol asked for my permission.

I contemplated whether it would be a safe call.

Chanyeol must've seen my anxious look. “You don't have to worry about meeting Soyeon.” He gave a reassuring smile which made me slowly nod my head. With that, Chanyeol started the engine again and we were off to whatever place Chanyeol had in mind.

I was still a bit worried of the possibility of running into Soyeon, but those thoughts quickly vanished when I felt a warm hand grabbing onto mine. I smiled, knowing that Chanyeol would always be beside me along the way. Chanyeol's right, I really am a cheesy person.