Chapter 5

Guāng (Light)

“Baekhyun?” his mother whispered. It was dark. Too dark to see anything, even his hand was swallowed in the darkness. He whimpered, reaching out for her. Her hand gripped his tightly, comforting him. “Why is it so dark mom?” he asked. “I don’t like it.”

     She sighed. The bed creaked and groaned as she sat down beside him. Baekhyun felt her wrap her arms around him. “Don’t be afraid Baekhyun,” she whispered into his ear. “Even when you cannot see it, there is light in all places.”

 

      Slowly Baekhyun regained consciousness. He groaned. His head felt like it was on fire. What the hell had hit him? Oh yes, a dodge ball that had literally been on fire. A moan slipped from his lips. He’d been right in thinking he was going to die at Greystone Alpha Academy.

     “Hey there,” a voice called out, cutting through his pain. Baekhyun opened his eyes. He was lying in a cot in what he assumed was the Nurse’s Office. He turned his head to see a boy around his age sitting on another cot. He had brilliant red hair and a scar above his eye. The student’s foot was in a cast. Another student leaned up against the wall. This one had blonde hair and a smirk on his face.

      Oh great. “Hi,” Baekhyun said. “Did I die?”

     The red haired one laughed. “No,” he said. “But the dodge ball Sungmin threw at you knocked you out. The entire school’s abuzz over it.” He went to stand up. The blonde one rushed to help him balance with his bad foot. “I’m Key and this is Taemin,” he said.

    “I’m B-“

     “You’re Baekhyun,” Key laughed. Taemin helped him to the door. “Everyone knows who you are.”

    Then he waved and they vanished out the door. Baekhyun groaned and let his head back onto the pillow. At least the two hadn’t been outright hostile. That was improvement at least. He remembered his whacked out dream though. It had been forever since he had dreamed of his mother…..not since he was a small kid. What had brought it on? Never mind it was the ball. But still, he didn’t remember that memory. When had that happened?

    There’s light in all places.

    The door creaked open and his group of friends stuck their heads in. Kygunsoo smiled and ran in to throw himself down on the cot next to him. “You idiot,” he said. “Why didn’t you duck?” Baekhyun shrugged painfully. “I didn’t even see it coming,” he said. “It was a blur and then nothing.”

      Luhan let out a short, panicked laugh. “That’s alright,” he said. “They shouldn’t have been aiming at you like that anyway…it was a dirty trick.” Baekhyun nodded, leaning back to dull the throbbing pain in his head. Xiumin reached out to place a hand on his forehead. Immediately a thin layer of ice formed over his skin, relieving the pain. Baekhyun smiled at the pale boy. “Thank you,” he said. Xiumin nodded. “You’re welcome,” he said. “Try to stay out of the students way though alright? Now we know they’re trying to hurt you.”

     “It’s a dark day when people with powers go after mortals,” Lay said quietly. The thought made them all grow quiet. It had been a ball this time, but it had knocked Baekhyun out. What if next time it was something harder? Something more dangerous? Baekhyun shivered. Xiumin took his hand off his forehead. “There’s light in all places,” Baekhyun murmured.

     They all looked at him curiously. “What’s that?” Tao asked. Baekhyun shrugged. “I don’t know,” he said. “It was just something my mom once told me.” 

Baekhyun sat at lunch, "Hey what aren't you eating" Xiumin asked "Huh oh um I'm not really hungry" Baekhyun answered "Is everything alright" Kyungsoo asked "Yes" Baekhyun answered. "It's just I've been thinking" He said "I haven't had a dream about my mom since I was a kid" Baekhyun said. "Are you homesick" Luhan asked "I don't I guess" Baekhyun answered poking at his food. Baekhyun got up and walked to his room and sat on his bed holding a photo on his parent and him as a kid, Baekhyun felt tears rolled down his cheeks. He held the photo to his chest "I miss you" Baekhyun said he placed the photo next his bed, he climbed into bed and then drifted off to sleep, His braclet glowed and made a humming sound as he slept. 

_____________________________________________________________________________