Chapter 6

Unexpected

It was nearly two hours after Namjoon had picked up the first paper, and the two had gotten through exactly 9% of completely clearing up the office. The cleaning lag had started when Namjoon had found a Charmander keychain behind a box of watercolour palettes ten minutes after they both got stuck into the mess. That led to a heated argument over which was the best Pokemon, which led to another heated argument over which was the best MarioKart character and kart combo, then to who was the best in MarioKart, then to an highly intellectual discussion of Gameboys, then to the best game on the PS2.

The two were still comparing Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword and Final Fantasy X when a red-haired male poked his head around the door. “What are you two doing here? It’s past twelve.”

Namjoon and Seokjin froze for half a second, then scrambled to stand up and bow. Yoongi stepped into the room, raising an eyebrow at the clutter on the floor. He glanced at the pile of Pokemon collectibles on the desk, and at the messy sketches of characters from MarioKart and various other things from video games.

Seokjin rubbed his mouth, shifting uncomfortably. “We- uh, we were cleaning up the place, but we were sidetracked.” He glared at Namjoon, who shrugged and smiled sheepishly in return.

Yoongi huffed out a little laugh. “I can see that. I think you two should be going home now, though. You can clean up this lot in the morning.” He walked out of the office.

Only then did Seokjin feel the sleep pushing at his system. He blinked blearily, his eyelids suddenly heavy. Oh, right. I didn’t get any sleep since two nights ago.

He shuffled to his desk and collected his laptop and the printed designs that Namjoon had worked on, flicking the lamp off. Namjoon did the same, tucking his laptop and notebook into his messenger bag. The two men shuffled through the debris on the floor, trying not to step on any loose pens. Seokjin picked up the alpaca plushie which was sitting near the door.

When they reached the ground floor, Namjoon noticed Seokjin stumble a little out the lift. He had stayed up clear through from dusk to dawn enough times to know the telltale signs of fatigue. He reached out and put a hand on Seokjin’s shoulder. “Seokjin-shi, are you going to drive to your house?”

Seokjin clutched the alpaca and his laptop and designs to his chest, and nodded heavily, burying his face into the alpaca. It almost seemed like the man had fallen asleep standing up. Namjoon shook him a little. “Seokjin-shi, you’re not gonna be able to drive in your state. How long have you been awake? I’ll drive you home. Where’s your car?”

Seokjin nodded a little more and began shuffling to the revolving doors, swaying. Namjoon tightened his grip on his shoulder, afraid that he would fall over.

The two made their way down the lamp-lit street, Namjoon tightening his grip every so often to right the other man. Seokjin stopped at one of the few cars parked on the street, an old green Toyota Yaris in need of a paint job. He pulled the keys out of his pocket and dropped them.

Namjoon gave a little sigh and leant Seokjin on the passenger door, bending and retrieving the keys. Unlocking the car, he opened the back door. Brushing takeaway containers and food wrappers off the seat, he tried to nudge Seokjin in, but Seokjin just rolled over the doorway and stood leaning against the car. Namjoon gave another little sign and manhandled Seokjin into the car as gently as he could. The end result was Seokjin sprawling all over the back seat with his legs sticking out of the car.

Namjoon pulled Seokjin into a sitting position, clicking the seatbelt in place across his body. He couldn’t bring himself take the alpaca away from him; Seokjin looked like a tired little child, with his chin buried in the alpaca’s head and his arms wound around it.

Namjoon slid into the driver’s seat and put his bag on the passenger side, a little nervous. He hadn’t driven for a while now, and the last time he did he grazed someone else’s car. He adjusted the seat and pulled the lever, getting used to the controls.

Namjoon twisted around. “Seokjin. Seokjin! What’s your address?”

Seokjin hummed into the plushie, trying to wake up enough to answer Namjoon. “Uuh… the officetel. On the other side of the city.” He rubbed one eye and buried his face back into the alpaca, tilting into the car door.

Namjoon faced the windscreen again, turning the key in the ignition. He had been around that side of the city enough to know where Seokjin was talking about. He pulled carefully out of the parking space.

 

Author’s Note:

i’m actually a little tired too its 1 34 over here

welp, the ‘dumb bonding time’ wasn’t actually much (sorry T~T)… i was planning on more detail but it worked better this way… tbh i’m not into pokemon or gameboys or the video games mentioned but i really love mariokart hehe^^ (creds to my friends for helping me with the dumb bonding part)

*awkward out zzzzzz*