Chapter 20

Unexpected

Taehyung startled from his sleep as the phone on his desk rung, his drool-smeared face jerking up to the afternoon sunlight streaming in from the spacious windows opposite him. Fumbling for the receiver, he nearly dropped it in the wastepaper basket twice before managing to put it to his ear. “H-hello?”

“Hello, this is Min Yoongi-shii’s assistant?”

Taehyung recognised one of the receptionist’s voices and nodded sleepily before realising that he was on the phone. “Yeah, this is him.”

“A courier just arrived for Yoongi-shii, he says that it’s high priority.”

Taehyung quirked an eyebrow in confusion- couriers with important things for Yoongi would usually deliver to his residence, not his office. “Well, uuhm… send him up, I guess? Tell him to be patient with the lift.”

“Right, hold on.” Taehyung heard some muted words being exchanged between the receptionist and the courier, and after a few seconds she came back on the line. “He’s coming up now.”

Taehyung mmed and put the receiver down, leaning back in his chair with his hands behind his head.

Just then, Yoongi himself strode out of the office, obviously in good spirits. Humming, he turned to Taehyung. “Hey, Tae. Put on the noticeboard that everyone gets an extra two free days to cash in.”

Yoongi turned to go, but Taehyung called out to him. “Boss! Stay here for a bit, a courier’s coming up right now.”

Turning and raising an eyebrow, Yoongi grinned. “A courier? My birthday is months away.” He dropped into one of the comfy chairs in front of the windows opposite Taehyung’s desk and started fiddling with his phone, the sound of Taehyung typing away on his desktop in the background.

After a few minutes, the lift announced its arrival with a ding. The courier stepped out with a big giftwrapped box in his arms, blinking in awe at the spacious, marble-floored, high-ceilinged, wood-panelled, naturally lit waiting room with the boss’ own assistant as the receptionist. “U-uh, delivery for Min Yoongi?”

Yoongi stood up, huffing a laugh when the courier moved back a pace, clearly intimidated. He stepped forwards to take the box, cocking his head at the lack of a clipboard. “Don’t I need to sign for this?”

The courier shook his head. “It’s been remotely signed for. Have a nice day.” He tipped his cap and scampered back to the lift.

“Huh.” Yoongi looked down at the intricate bow on the box quizzically. “There’s no sender tag.”

“Yah, do you need me to burn it for you? It’s too much like some plot that involves a bomb or poison or something,” Taehyung piped up from behind, his typing not pausing.

Yoongi laughed and turned to go back into his office. “In both cases, fire would be a bad idea,” he said, managing to pat Taehyung’s shoulder without dropping the box before shutting his office door.

Yoongi moved several steps to his desk and put the box on the lacquered cherrywood surface, his eyes too used to view of the pulsing city center, its surrounding high-rises, and sprawling buildings beyond the giant glass window to register it. He plucked at the blue ribbon before pulling it away, watching with interest as the bow on top unraveled, and propped himself on the edge of the desk as he ripped away the wrapping.

A simple cardboard box was left, a messy “Happy Birthday, my love” scrawled across the lid. A sick feeling began pooling in Yoongi’s stomach. He slowly opened the box.

A cake spread with green icing and decorated with swirls of whipped cream sat in the box. To the side was a bundle of candles tied together with twine and a pale green envelope.

Yoongi swallowed heavily and reached for the envelope, pulling out the delicate paper inside with shaky fingers.

 

  To my darling Iseul

Happy birthday, my love. I bet you thought I forgot, didn’t you? Even though we haven’t seen each other in a while, I didn’t forget. It’s strange that I can’t seem to remember anything, but any memory with you within preserves in my mind.

Do you remember this cake we made together for Yoongi? I hope I made it right. It should taste the same- our Yoongi always liked the taste of green tea.

I hope you are able to be with Yoongi on his birthday, March 9th if I remember correctly. How is he doing? You must tell me when you visit me again, my darling. Meanwhile, enjoy your birthday. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to send you anything more than this cake.

  Your loving husband,

  Min Kyung Hei.

 

Yoongi was stock still, his blank, downturned face hiding the turmoil in his mind. The paper slipped from his slack fingers and floated to his feet.

He thought I was Mother again.

 

Author's Note:

right! a super late update with an angsty, confusion-causing element. nice going, author-nim. *does a yikes face at myself*

well, idk what to say... man I should organise my time better ;-;

props to my friend Lucifer for editing this and making it better than I could ever have made it! ^^ (even tho she doesn't have an account here whoops)

*awkward out*

P.S I've realised about a month ago how fitting 'awkward out' is for me... I'm an extremely socially impaired potato *does another yikes face at myself*