Chapter 15

Unexpected

“- so he ended up having to buy a new coffee machine for the lunchroom.” Hoseok waved his hands about as he recounted an employee’s mishap with a coffee machine.

“You didn’t get someone to replace him?” Seokjin raised his eyebrows at Hoseok across the table. “You are the HR manager, and I thought you didn’t like things like that happening.”

Hoseok shrugged, grinning at Seokjin. “I’m trying to be nicer,” he called over the chatter. He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped mid-thought. “Hey, Seokjin, didn’t you say your assistant was gonna be here?”

Seokjin sat upright and glanced around, a frown settling on his face. He’s right… Namjoon isn’t here? He reached for his phone and scrolled through his contacts for a few seconds before realising he didn’t have Namjoon’s number.

Hoseok looked at him, one eyebrow raised.

Seokjin shrugged despite the twinge of worry in his mind. “He’s probably just late.”

 


Namjoon was late.

Again.

Currently, he was running for the bus, which was just about to leave.

Barely making it through he doors, Namjoon hurriedly paid his fare and slumped down on a seat, breathing heavily. He was headed downtown to the restaurant district for the party Seokjin had mentioned, and he was already almost an hour late.

After fifteen minutes of staring listlessly out at the passing buildings, Namjoon finally arrived at the restaurant district. He scanned the streetful of busy restaurants before spotting one that kicked up some form of recognition- the Bulgogi. He sidled towards the doorway and entered as unassumingly as he could.

Apparently, he had not been unassuming enough. Seokjin had seen him the moment the door twitched open and was now waving him over, a smile on his face.

Namjoon walked hesitantly up to the table, glancing around at the faces and only recognising Seokjin, the purple haired male and the boss. “Um… good morning. S-sorry I’m late.” He gave a small apologetic bow.

Seokjin waved a hand dismissively. “Don’t worry, what’s important is that you’re here. Sit down.” He pulled the chair next to him out.

Namjoon took the proffered seat and introductions were made all around, with everyone cheering it was Jimin’s turn.

The boss grinned at Namjoon with a raised eyebrow. “So how are you finding the job? Seokjin’s not making you work too hard?”

Namjoon shook his head. “The job’s pretty fun.”

A good-natured scoff sounded from Min Yoongi. “As shown by your detour into gaming a few weeks ago.”

Seokjin frowned. “That was the one time, boss.”

The group chatted back and forth, with Namjoon being roped into conversations at random. He learned that Taehyung was exactly as weird as he seemed, that Hoseok was the head of the HR department and had been the one to suggest to the boss that Seokjin needed an assistant, and as well as having an interest bordering on obsession with the Avengers, was a dance teacher on the side.

Namjoon learnt that Jungkook was a rich kid pushed into getting a job by his parents who wanted him to experience the real world and make a living for himself, and that Jimin was actually extremely outgoing despite his current shyness and un-opinionated position from everything to politics to cats vs dogs.

Namjoon learnt that Seokjin was overly competitive when it came to video games, liked dogs better than cats, was a good cook, watched dramas, and was easily moved by dramas (and anything else that was even remotely sad).

Min Yoongi seemed to be the type of boss who was friendly with his employees, and he dove into whatever conversation caught his attention. Despite the boss’ frequent smiles, Namjoon noticed he didn’t laugh much. He left soon after for a meeting with a real estate agent.

Time flew by quickly, and before they knew it, it was three in the afternoon. Jimin stood up and thanked everybody, which was met with cheers and another rendition of ‘Happy Birthday’ (Namjoon noticed that he was a lot more outgoing, unlike before). People began filing out slowly until it was only Jimin, Seokjin, Taehyung, Hoseok, Jungkook and Namjoon.

Jimin suddenly dropped into a deep bow. “Thank you all so much for this!”

Hoseok pulled Jimin upright. “No problem, man. It is your birthday.”

Taehyung suddenly leapt forwards and crushed both Jimin and Hoseok in a bear hug. “GROUP HUG!”

Jungkook, chic as ever, refused until Seokjin laughed and smooshed him in between Jimin and Hoseok, wrapping his arms best as he could around the bundle of people.

Namjoon stayed to the side, standing awkwardly. He sidled to the door and stood by it, not sure whether to leave or not.

The others detached themselves from one another and started negotiating the bill (they refused to let Jimin pay a single cent). After handing over the correct sum to the cashier, they bundled into their coats and headed out the door, helping hold Jimin’s presents.

Seokjin noticed Namjoon standing by the door as he was gathering up his bag, and a twinge of guilt snuck into his heart as he realised Namjoon hadn’t been included in the hug.

Seokjin stepped up to Namjoon and studied the other’s face for a moment. “Sorry about that… do you want a hug now?”

Namjoon’s head jerked back in surprise. “Wha- why?”

Seokjin gestured at the spot the group hug had happened on. “We excluded you from that, I feel sort of bad for it… so… oh! But if you don’t want to hug, then that’s fine as well.” Seokjin stepped back a pace.

Namjoon blinked, then swallowed when he realised that he did in fact want a hug. He looked at the floor. “I… I wouldn’t mind…”

A smile bloomed on Seokjin’s face, and he stepped forwards and lightly rested his arms around Namjoon’s torso. He heard Namjoon inhale sharply, then felt Namjoon slowly wrapping his arms around his waist.

“Thanks.” Namjoon’s voice was so soft.

“It’s no problem,” Seokjin replied, equally as soft.

 

Author’s Note:

I HAVE FINALLY UPDATED

AND I HAVE UPDATED ALL THREE FIC THINGS I HAVE INCLUDING THIS ONE ON THE SAME DAY WOOHOO

well! here’s a bit of progress for you guys~ well that took long enough

*awkward out*