Chapter 12

Unexpected

Seokjin shuffled into his apartment, still wondering why and how he fell asleep at that particular time, on that particular night. He closed the door behind him, taking his shoes off and placing them neatly by the door.

 

He went over to the kitchen, opening the fridge and pulling out a tub of low-fat yogurt. Seokjin had read somewhere that having light snacks before bed would help him sleep. Peeling back the paper seal, he took a spoon from the rack by the sink and sat on the sofa, spooning yogurt into his mouth.

 

Seokjin could feel his fatigue dancing behind his eyes, a yawn bubbling up in his throat but never quite making it out. He rubbed his eyes tiredly with the pads of his fingers, then scraped the last bit of yogurt into his mouth. Getting up, he padded to the bathroom, dropping the tub into the bin on the way.

 

Stepping in front of the mirror, Seokjin frowned at his reflection. The moonlight cast on his face made his dark circles stand out more against his sallow skin.

 

Seokjin pulled open a drawer under the sink. A few bottles of pills rattled about, filling the small bathroom with hollow, clicking sounds. He picked one up, holding it up to his face. Sleeping pills again…

 

Leaving the bathroom, Seokjin unscrewed the lid of the bottle and tapped a single white pill into the palm of his hand. He tossed it into his mouth, chasing it down with some water from the kettle.

 

Moving to the bedroom, Seokjin undressed and slipped into some rarely-used pyjamas. Falling into bed, he waited for the sleeping pills to take hold.

 

Seokjin had been diagnosed with sleep-onset insomnia when he was seven, and he had trouble falling asleep ever since then. His mother had tried almost every doctor, every treatment, but the amount of money that went into that had nearly their bank account dry.

 

But on the night Namjoon had driven him home, he had fallen asleep so easily, it was as if his insomnia had vanished without a trace. Granted, he had had no sleep for the two nights before, but sleep is still sleep.

 

Seokjin pulled the blankets to his chin and lay awake for another hour, pondering the causes for his impromptu sleep that night. Finally, the merciful veil of sleep fell over his thoughts.

 

 


Seokjin stepped into the office the next morning, a bottle of mineral water in hand. He looked around in surprise, realising that he was earlier than Namjoon for once.

 

Stepping over to his chair, he settled in and opened his laptop, replying to a few emails then getting to work drafting out a duplex of apartments.

 

The door swung open fifteen minutes later, disgorging Taehyung and Hoseok into the room. Taehyung strode to the assistant tables and leapt on top of them, standing with his hands on his hips. He glared down at Seokjin, who grinned up in amusement. “Hey, we heard you signed in for work! I thought we were supposed to be discussing Jimin’s birthday party?”

 

Seokjin’s brow crumpled. “What? I thought we were planning it next week.”

 

Hoseok walked up behind Taehyung, poking him in the back of his knee. “Get down, you doofus. Change of plans, Seokjin. On Jimin’s birthday week he’s going to his parents’ place to celebrate.”

 

Seokjin’s hand leapt to his face. “Dammit, I forgot about that. I had a busy week, and my schedule’s packed for the next few days… how about we plan it over the weekend?”

 

Hoseok nodded. “Okay. Hey Taehyung, move it. Seokjin’s busy.”

 

Taehyung glared, mock-kicking at Hoseok’s chest. “You don’t tell me what to do. I am my own boss.” He turned to Seokjin, waving his arms. “Byyye, Seokjin. See you at lunch.”

 

Hopping down from the table, Taehyung ran out of the room after Hoseok.

 

Namjoon appeared in the doorway after Taehyung’s noisy footsteps faded away. He glanced down the hallway with a puzzled expression then stepped inside, dropping his bag on the asistant tables and sitting down. “Sorry I’m late Seokjin-shi, I think I was a little hungover this morning...”

 

Seokjin chuckled and waved his hand. “It’s okay, my bad for taking you out on a work night.”

 

Namjoon pulled his laptop open. “It’s okay… um, why was that guy running from your office?” He glanced curiously at Seokjin.

 

Seokjin laughed, running a hand through his hair. “That was Taehyung. We were supposed to plan for a friend’s surprise birthday party this morning, but something came up, so we’re going to move the party to an earlier day…”

 

Namjoon nodded and made a ‘aah’ sound. He turned back to his laptop.

 

Seokjin started guiltily. “O-of course, you can help if you want.”

 

Namjoon shook his head. “No, It’s okay.”

 

Seokjin frowned a little. “At least come to the party? Half the birthday boy’s entire floor is going to attend. It’ll be fun.”

 

Namjoon peeked up through his fringe at Seokjin. “O-okay, if that’s alright with you…”

 

Seokjin grinned. “Okay! So that’s a definite yes?”

 

Namjoon nodded. “Yeah."

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

wOW the last bit is awkward sorreh haha (⌒_⌒;)

 

welp. I think I put a bit too much emphasis on namjoon’s agreeing to go to the party… that was unintentional, sorry ><

 

also, birthday boy jimin? wait…? hold on lemme check my calender something isnt right

 

 

IT WAS. KOOKIES BIRTHDAY

 

i missed it dammit

 

um, well

 

happy… happy belated birthday, jungkook? //weak smile//

 

*awkward out*