Chapter 3

Unexpected

“Pleased to meet you, I’m Kim Seokjin.”

 

“Pleased to meet you too… I’m Kim Namjoon.”

 

Seokjin snorted in disbelief. “We have the same surname? What are the odds of that happening?”

Namjoon half-smiled, showing one dimple. “Apparently there were six other Kims on the shortlist.”

 

They both bowed to each other and released their hands, suddenly feeling the awkwardness. Seokjin waved-pointed his hand vaguely in direction of the lift. “Uh… well, I’m gonna… go back up. You know which floor my office is, right?”

 

Namjoon nodded. “Seventh floor, office 2B.” He motioned toward the company cafe, which was full of chattering employees and clinking cutlery. “Um… I’m going to eat. I’ll see you later, Seokjin-shii.”

 

Seokjin nodded curtly and headed off towards the lift.

 

Namjoon entered the cafe and was immediately hit with the babble of conversation and the scent of coffee, cake and various other expensive-smelling dishes. He approached the counter, scanned the array of gourmet sandwiches, cakes and macaroons, and promptly choked on his own saliva at the high prices.

 

The cashier (who also seemed to be a bartender, if the way he was tossing drinks around was anything to go by) gave him a toothy grin.

 

“Hello, what would you like? Can I interest you in today’s special?”

 

Namjoon shook his head and pointed at one of the cheaper sandwiches. “Can I just get that?”

 

The cashier/bartender put the drink on the counter and slid it down to a waiting customer. “Have a nice day!” he called out. He turned back to Namjoon. “Would you like a drink with that?”

 

“No, thank you.”

 

“Okay, your order will be ready in five minutes.”

 

Namjoon thanked him and moved to the pickup end of the counter, slouching on one of the lounges set up around the area and absently playing with one of his sleeves. He felt extremely out of place in this swanky building with its marble floors and private cafes- he was more used to grubby apartments and McDonalds every night. He watched people pick at their expensive food and leave it half-finished, only to be swept up by immaculate waiters and leave the table sparkling, as if the person and the plate had never been there. A blank slate. He reached for his notebook.

 

...Huh?

 

Namjoon realised with a start that he had left his messenger bag up in Seokjin’s office- and his wallet too, for that matter. He got up and went to the counter to tell the cashier that he was getting his money when someone tapped his shoulder.

 

Namjoon turned and saw Seokjin with his bag dangling from one hand. “I think you left this upstairs. You seemed like you were going to buy from here, so…” Seokjin held out the bag.

 

Namjoon’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. He stammered out a bunch of ‘thank yous’ and a ‘sorry for bothering you with this, I was just going to come up and get it’. Seokjin smiled, shaking his head slightly. “It’s no bother. I was coming down here to meet some people, anyway.”

 

Namjoon bowed again, taking his bag from Seokjin, their fingers brushing slightly. From behind, the cashier called out an order for a beef salad sandwich. Namjoon jerked upwards and hurried to the pickup counter, pulling out a twenty as he went.

 

Seokjin chuckled and went into the cafe, calling out to the bartender. “The usual, thanks.”
 

“You got it, boss.” he answered cheerily.

 

 

Author's Note:

 

sorry that I haven't updated for a while but stUFF HAPPENED >.<

 

I'm also sorry at the lack of namjin and lack of moving-along-the-storyline-developments but I want to get everybody on the scene first so yeah ;~;

 

and this chapter is pretty short too T.T //bows in apology

 

*awkward out*