Chapter 18

Unexpected

Seokjin opened his eyes to soft sunlight, feeling strangely rested and content. Breathing in deeply, he stretched luxuriously before sitting up and checking the time. 10.40, Saturday morning.

After one last stretch, Seokjin got out of bed and padded out of the bedroom, his mind already planning out breakfast, lunch and dinner. He moved to the kitchen and started up the kettle.

As Seokjin turned to the fridge for the carton of eggs, he noticed the strangely empty couch and a roll of blankets on the ground in front of it.

…?

Letting go of the fridge door, Seokjin cautiously approached the blanket roll. He spotted a tuft of purple-blonde hair poking out of one end and relaxed, shaking his head in amusement when he realised that Namjoon had probably rolled off the couch.

Crouching down, Seokjin shook the blanket roll. “Namjoon, wake up. You fell off the couch.” He shook once more.

Slowly, Namjoon’s head appeared at one end of the blanket roll. He squinted groggily up at Seokjin. “Uuh…? Wha’s the time?”

“It’s nearly eleven,” Seokjin laughed. “Do you want to get up yet?”

Namjoon nodded sleepily before digging himself out of the blanket roll, his movements slow and clumsy. The puppy also unearthed itself from the blanket roll and launched itself into Seokjin’s arms, making him fall on his with a huff of surprised laughter.

Amused, Namjoon reached out to pet the puppy (more specifically, a golden retriever). “Why do you destroy my place but not his?” he asked, his voice still scratchy from sleep.

Seokjin grinned and scruffed the wriggling puppy’s neck. “It knows I have better food than you.”

 


 

Namjoon stepped out of the bathroom, a towel over his head and dressed in his own clothes from the night before, still warm from the drier. He smiled when he saw Seokjin already eating at the table, the puppy wolfing down some beef by his side.

“Thanks for letting me stay the night, Seokjin-shii,” Namjoon said, taking a seat at the table. He pulled the towel down around his shoulders, hoping the morning sunlight would dry his hair.

Seokjin smiled and shook his head. “Don’t thank me, it was common courtesy. Here.” He handed Namjoon a bowl of rice.

The two males conversed over green tea and egg rolls with slivers of purple onion in one end, made to look like Namjoon in his blanket roll (Namjoon laughed for a long time at that).

After the last egg roll was eaten, Seokjin laid down his chopsticks and took a sip of his green tea. “So, when do you want me to drive you home?”

Namjoon blinked, then put his hands up. “A-ah, it’s fine… I can take the bus home.” He searched his pockets and pulled out a few coins.

Seokjin shook his head, hoisting the puppy up onto his lap (it kept whining and walking back and forth close to Seokjin). “I insist. Just say the word, okay?”

Namjoon nodded, slightly awed by Seokjin’s hospitable nature. “O-okay.”

Seokjin tilted his head, a light, slanted smile on his face. “Since we don’t have work today, is there anything you want to do? Or do you want me to drive you home now? The puppy can stay here if you want.”

At that moment, the puppy whined and plopped its head on the tabletop, its eyes darting from Namjoon to Namjoon's plate. "Or the puppy can stay here if it wants," Seokjin said, laughing.

A surprised smile spread over Namjoon's face. “You’re more easygoing than I thought.”

Grinning, Seokjin stood up and put the puppy down (it immediately ran off to investigate the fridge). “You know, I’ve been wondering how good you actually are at Mariokart. Join me for a game?”

Namjoon smiled and cracked his knuckles. “Oh, it’s on.”

 

Author's Note:

COMPETITIVE GAMING START!

this chapter was sort of wishy-washy, I feel… the bit of my brain responsible for writing has been knocked out of place. (it will go back, don’t worry) (eventually lol ;-;)

I apologise for my sporadic updating ><  here’s my other shin. //sticks a kick me sign on knee//

*awkward out*