Chapter 24

Unexpected

The next morning, Seokjin was awoken from a light sleep with a notification alarm on his phone. He blearily felt around for it before squinting at the screen.

Bring car to servicing place today at 11am, register doggy at 3pm

Seokjin checked the time- 9.30am- and groaned. He had only gotten maybe three hours of sleep, despite the pills he had taken the night before.

Struggling out of bed and into some decent clothes, Seokjin went to the kitchen to make something to eat. He laughed as he saw the puppy curled on the carpet of the living area again instead of the dog bed he bought for it a few days ago.

After a light breakfast, Seokjin brushed his teeth and left some canned food for the sleeping puppy before locking up the apartment behind him. He reminded himself to buy a leash and a couple of toys for it on the way back- it couldn’t get its exercise through tussles with Seokjin forever.

Seokjin got to the service garage fifteen minutes early, which was pretty lucky because his car decided to surrender to the gunk in its engine just as he pulled into driveway of the building. He payed the fee and agreed to collect his car after a week, then stood at the bus stop across the street for five minutes before he realised he didn’t have the slightest clue on how to catch a bus.

He stared at the bus timetable, trying to make sense of it, then tried to access the transport system’s website on his phone to figure out which route he should take to get back to his neighborhood.

 Sorry, website under maintenance.

Seokjin groaned and slumped on the bench, wondering why in all his three years of university he had only used public transport for a grand total of twice. He sat pondering all the other things he missed out on in life for a while before an idea struck him, and he pulled out his phone and tapped a contact.

Namjoon picked up after five rings. “H-hello, Seokjin-shii?”

“Uh, good morning.” Seokjin paused, a little embarrassed. “Actually, Namjoon, I want to ask you something.”

A rustle sounded on the other end, as if Namjoon was rolling over in bed. “...Sure, what is it?”

“Do you use public transport a lot?”

“Yeah…”

“The thing is, I need to catch a bus back to my apartment and I don’t know how.”

There was silence on the other end of the line before Seokjin heard a guffaw. “That’s a pretty rare achievement, how did you manage that?”

“I don’t know... I was one of the few who could afford a car after I got out of high school.” Seokjin smiled as he remembered penning his signature on the sale contract, his mother hovering happily at his side.  “I was proud of that because it was money I earned on my own, so I just drove everywhere, I guess.”

The line was silent for a second, before Seokjin heard Namjoon let out a breath. “Whoa, that’s pretty impressive. I’m...”

Seokjin’s brow crinkled at the pause. “Namjoon?”

“Huh? Oh, you need the bus route, right?” Seokjin heard more rustling and the snick of Namjoon’s laptop opening. “Where are you right now?”

”Uh, opposite General Mechanics on Six street. In the south-ish part of the city.”

“Six street? That’s not far from my place.” The keyboard clacked for a few seconds, then stopped. “Actually, I could walk over to where you are in ten minutes… do you want me to accompany you?”

Seokjin stood agape for a millisecond before replying. “I-If  you want to- I mean, if it isn’t any trouble-”

Namjoon laughed over the line. “That’s okay, I don’t have anything to do anyways.” Seokjin heard the laptop snap closed and a creak as Namjoon got out of bed.


Seokjin watched as Namjoon puffed over the hill, hair unkempt but outfit snappy. He stumbled onto the bench, out of breath. “H-Hey, I’m late.”

“Hi late, I’m Seokjin.” Seokjin extended a hand to Namjoon, partly as a part of the joke and partly to help the other stand up. “Why did you run here? We have plenty of time.”

Namjoon shook his head as he took Seokjin’s hand and pulled himself up. “Actually, we don’t, I miscalc- look! That’s the bus we need to take.” He pointed down the road to where a bus was cresting the hill.

They boarded the bus and sat down near the back, Seokjin waving from the window seat to his car in General Mechanic's garage. One of the employees waved back, and the bus pulled from the stop.

“...So, you’re finally fixing that car?” Namjoon glanced at Seokjin from the corner of his eye, fingers toying with the edge of his jacket.

Seokjin nodded. “It was about time, the engine was dying on me every second day.”

“Aah.” Namjoon nodded.

The bus took a left past some squat apartments.

“U-Um, so how’s the project coming along? It’s almost been a week.”

“I’ve finished drafting the layout and a few rooms… but I still don’t understand why our client needs so many rooms? I mean she told the boss she lives alone.”

“Maybe she has guests often?”

“Yeah, maybe.”

The bus went right, left, stopped at a traffic light.

Namjoon sat frozen in his seat.

Why does this feel so awkward?

“Uhh, have you-” Namjoon turned to Seokjin and his words caught in his throat when he saw the other slumped against the bus window, eyes closed and head drooping in sleepiness. He froze for a second before freaking out silently, his hands flailing around and head reaching out for a course of action. What!? Oh god do I wake him up? Do I let him sleep? The window’s cold he’ll get sick- wait! He can sleep on my shoulder because that’s warm wAIT no that’s creepy, oh hold on how about my jacket?

Namjoon quickly pulled off his jacket and draped it over Seokjin’s torso, tucking up one of the sleeves between the cold glass of the window and Seokjin’s skin. He sat back, relieved, then immediately shivered in the air-conditioned space.

 

Author’s Note:

it’s kind of ridiculous, but sometimes in winter the buses here have their aircon on ;-;

also this is kinda a ridiculous chapter but it leads somewhere i swear T-T

oh, about my earlier outburst on bangtan’s songs in You Never Walk Alone: sorry, false alarm lol ^^’

speaking off bangtan which is literally all i have been doing throughout the fic bc its a fic about bangtan, dID YOU SEE SPRING DAY AND NOT TODAY?? WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO MY HEART???? FANTHEORIES HERE I EFFING COME OMG

AND!!!! THEYRE!!!!!! HAVING!!!! A CONCERT!!!!! HERE IN SYDNEY!!!!!!!!! so if there are any deities or gods or higher powers out there: please grant me the strength to fight through the horde of online ticket purchasers ;;;;;;;

*awkward -freaking- out*