Chapter 16

Unexpected

Namjoon shoved his hands deeper into his pockets and quickened his pace, intent on getting home before his housemates came back and trashed the place. He cursed his bus for being being packed too tightly with passengers as the freezing wind picked up again.

After several blocks and a few minutes recalling random details about the party, Namjoon spotted his building. He quickened his footsteps to a jog-

 -and tripped over a box on the pavement.

A box that squealed.

Namjoon turned to look at the box.

“Huh?”

 


 

Sneaking into your room with a puppy under your coat and a watchful landlord was extremely overrated, Namjoon decided. He had only just managed to make it up the stairs when some drunk hurtled into him, nearly making him fall straight into the arms of the landlord. As well as the fact that the puppy was noticeable under Namjoon’s coat, it was whimpering pretty loudly too.

Namjoon leant against the kitchen counter, watching the puppy scarf down some leftover chicken he had set down on a plate. It seemed to need the meat, if the protruding ribcage and bedraggled fur was anything to go by.

The puppy finished off the crumbs on the plate before peering up at Namjoon, fear in its every movement. It whimpered once, then curled into a ball, its eyes darting around the room.

Namjoon sighed, frowning down at the puppy. It seemed to have been left for dead in that box, before he came stumbling over it (and nearly stepping on its leg).

Squatting down, Namjoon held out a tentative hand to the puppy. It sniffed him once before lowering its head between its paws again.

Gently the puppy’s head, Namjoon wondered aloud.

“What am I going to do with you?”

 


 

Seokjin frowned as Namjoon stepped into the office the next day. He looked like a mess; his shirt was untucked, his hair was mussed, and to top it off, strange floaty bits were flying off him everywhere.

Namjoon bowed, a flurry of fluff whirling to the ground. “Sorry I’m late.” He went to his chair and slumped down, pulling his laptop out of his messenger bag.

Seokjin stood up and moved over to Namjoon’s seat, handing him a bottle of iced mocha. He noticed the bags under the other’s eyes. “Bad night?”

Namjoon sighed and took a swig of his drink. “Yeah. I couldn’t sleep, and I missed the bus.” He rumpled his hair, sending more bits of fluff into the air.

Seokjin brushed some of the stuff of Namjoon’s shoulder with a frown. “Namjoon, what is this stuff? Is it fur?”

Namjoon looked down at his shirt and groaned, standing up to brush himself off. “There was this dog on my street, and I sorta took it in… It made a mess once it got used to me.”

Seokjin laughed. That seems like something Namjoon would do. “Are you going to keep it?”

“Maybe, if nobody else can take care of- bleug.” Namjoon coughed as a bit of fur went into his mouth. Seokjin immediately started slapping at Namjoon’s arms and back, trying to get rid of the fur.

After a few minutes of flailing around and sweeping the floor, both men were finally settled at their desks and absorbed in their work.

 


 

Namjoon opened the door to his room after a long day of work with a sigh, thoughts of a long shower and a long sleep floating in his mind. He dropped his bag by the door--

   --and was promptly attacked by a ball of fur.

“Aaargh!” Namjoon stumbled over the puppy and fell on the back of the couch, the puppy trying to climb up his leg. He felt cotton in his mouth and realised with dismay that the cushions on his couch were torn up, the stuffing scattered around the room.

Picking up the dog, Namjoon glared as fiercely as he could. “You know, for a malnourished puppy, you’re far too energetic for your own good.”

The puppy only panted happily and wriggled about.

 


 

Things continued like this for a few days, with Namjoon coming home to find something or the other destroyed. At night, the puppy insisted on sleeping under Namjoon’s blankets, which led to bite marks on fingers and a tired, grumpy Namjoon in the morning.

A constant struggle for Namjoon was trying to keep the puppy away from the prying eyes of his landlord. Despite the fact that the puppy had never so much as whimpered during its entire stay, Namjoon was sure that crashing sounds would be heard when he was away at work, resulting in the discovery of the puppy and an eviction notice.

At one point, Namjoon decided to give the puppy a bath. He prepared the water tested it with his elbow, then carefully lowered the puppy into the tub.

Things were going pretty well, until halfway through scrubbing the puppy with soap, a bubble popped out of the tub. The puppy leapt up, scrabbling at the air with its paws and splashing Namjoon with water in the process.  Namjoon stood up with a yell, knocking over his stool while the puppy fell to the ground and zipped after the bubble.

One thing led to another (lamp knocked over, water everywhere, Namjoon’s dinner all over the floor) until some other tenant complained to the landlord that too much noise was coming from room 14.

Namjoon had just managed to catch the puppy when the door slammed open, framing a fuming landlord.

The landlord glared first an Namjoon, then at the puppy in his arms. “So this is what you’ve been up to. I thought I made it clear that no pets were allowed.”

He stepped up close to the trembling Namjoon, avoiding the mess on the floor.

“Either this puppy goes, or you do.”

 


 

Seokjin was in the middle of cooking dinner when the doorbell rang. He tilted his head, wondering who would visit at this time of the night. Putting down the spatula, Seokjin went and opened the front door.

“Hey, Seokjin-shii.” A wet and shivering Namjoon smiled awkwardly, cradling a puppy in his arms.


 

Author’s Note:

I GOT MY MOJO BACK haHA

… um

sorry for not updating in oNE TRILLION YEARS i was hit with a massive writing block after I finished the last chapter because I didn’t know how to continue it haha sorry ^^”

so. happy late birthday seokjin <3 and the pt 2 comeback im in so much pain :))))))

*awkward out*