Acceptance

The Part Timer

 

The four hyungs have rally with the maknae soon after Sunggyu and Dongwoo entered the building. With some quick identification, they finally realize the target is the same person who has mystically appeared everywhere in their lives. The five of them are presently hustling along the aisle in the supermarket, trying to be as inconspicuous as possible but at the same time, monitoring the couple with their hawk like eyes. It’s almost proven mission impossible, with their less than stealth actions except that the two males who are being followed are wrapped in their own happy bubble, much oblivious to their surroundings. They only have eyes for each other, or rather the tidbits in each other hands.

 

“Gyu, I found it! The new strawberry yoghurt bar you wanted!”

 

Dongwoo shows the prized find to Sunggyu, who has been busily scanning the shelves searching for the same item. The elder’s expression brightens considerately. He has been craving for it since the ridiculously enticing commercial appeared on television. He joins the younger who is doing a celebratory dance, earning curious glances from the nearby shoppers. Sunggyu soon snaps out of his triumph dance and begins emptying the boxes of yoghurt bars into his trolley but his action is interrupted by Dongwoo. He glares at the younger, anyone standing between him and his snacks, is his enemy. The younger scratches his head and smiles disarmingly at the elder.

 

“I thought we agreed too much sweet stuffs aren’t good for you. You should eat moderately, I don’t want to see you sick. So let just get one … ah two boxes?”  

 

The younger decides to compromise when he sees Sunggyu’s eyes turning into slits. He fixes his best puppy eyes on the elder while Sunggyu seemingly ponders over his suggestion. Sunggyu finds it impossible to hold on to his resolve of emptying the shelf with Dongwoo looking at him so pitifully. He reluctantly nods his head and the younger immediately returns the additional boxes back to the shelf, having a little tug of war with the last box that’s in Sunggyu’s hand. The older soon realizes his childishness and finally releases the item in his hand, giggling.

 

The laughter dwindle though with a glance at his watch, realizing there’s not much time left before he needs to be home. They have spent too much time on their way here with the stops at the café and the snack carts, although it was really enjoyable and totally worth the time. But now, he really need to hurry and finish his shopping. Sunggyu quickly signals for Dongwoo to follow him with the trolley to the next section, unaware of the five guys peeping through cans of baked beans, prying on them in the adjacent aisle. Myungsoo is the first to speak up after the two males are out of hearing range.

 

“Sunggyu hyung looks so happy and carefree.”

 

The rest remain solemn at Myungsoo’s words. They know Sunggyu being the oldest, has taken up the caring of the five of them since a young age which resulted in his serious character. Only in recent years with all of them grown up, the oldest has finally begun to let go some of the responsibilities. But Myungsoo is right, it has been a long time they have seen their hyung acting so care freely.

 

“I’m surprise the dino guy didn’t indulge hyung by buying him the whole lot of snacks. What’s more, hyung even listens to him!”

 

Sungyeol’s outburst reminds them of another unexpectation. Their hyung has one weakness; the inability to control himself with anything related to strawberry. They have all witnessed the stubbornness when Sunggyu is confronted in similar situations but that guy doesn’t even have to ask twice before their hyung surrenders his possessions. They don’t know whether to be happy or sad; happy that someone is finally able to curb Sunggyu’s addiction or sad that someone is not any one of them. Sungjong is the first to decide not to dwell on the matters, moving off to follow the two males, leaving the rest trailing behind him. They hide in a corner and continue their spying a short distance away from the pair.

 

At the meat section where Sunggyu is browsing, Dongwoo scans the contents that Sunggyu has piled into the trolley. There’s a variety of pork parts; cutlet, ribs, trotters, belly and loin. Basically you name it, you probably find it inside the trolley. He can’t help but wonders is that another addiction of the older.  

 

“Do you like pork as much as strawberry?”

 

Sunggyu looks up with a blank expression; unable to comprehend the younger’s question. He follows Dongwoo’s gaze and breaks out in laughter when he finally understands what prompts the younger to ask such a question. He kindly explains to the confused younger.   

 

“Of course not! It’s just that the boys like different things. Woohyun only eats pork loin because it’s the leanest part. Hoya is also watching his weight but he prefers the cutlet. Yeollie absolutely adores pork belly while Myungsoo only wants ribs. The trotters have plenty of collagen which Jongie loves.”

 

The same thing happens as they round up the rest of the items in the groceries list. Sunggyu shares with Dongwoo all the likes and dislikes of his brothers. In the end, the only items in the trolley that are the elder’s preference are the strawberry flavored snacks. Dongwoo grabs onto Sunggyu’s hands before they move to the cashier.

 

“You are such a caring brother. You love them a lot, don’t you?”

 

Sunggyu blushes, partly because of the compliment but mostly due to Dongwoo looking at him seriously while holding his hands. He answers truthfully.

 

“Of course I love them, they are family.”

 

“Can I be family too? You can continue buying everything they like and I will buy things you like.”

 

The five that have been following them overhear everything. Sungjong sighs and motions the other to follow him out of the supermarket. The last thing they see is the overlapping hands on the trolley handle and the blinding smile on the couple’s face.

 

*

*

*

*

*

 

Sunggyu arrives home with bags of groceries and notices his five brothers are all seated in the living room, apparently waiting for him. Woohyun speaks up before he can excuse himself to the kitchen to unpack the things.

 

“Hyung, we want to have a family dinner this weekend. Ask your friend along.”

 

“Which … friend?”

 

“The dino looks alike guy. The one you are shopping with in the supermarket.”

 

Hoya decides not to beat around the bush.

 

There’s only pure shock in the eldest expression. His secret is out.

 

“Don’t worry, we aren’t going to do anything to him, unless he’s a jerk.”

 

Sungyeol kindly informs Sunggyu and the oldest sees Myungsoo nodding his head.

 

“I have one question though.”

 

Sunggyu jumps a bit when Sungjong speaks up. He looks timidly at the maknae, his heart pounding so hard as if he is waiting for his death verdict.

 

“Why is he appearing everywhere we go?”

 

“Ah … cos he’s the part timer.”

 


 

Pop the champagne! I'm finally done! This is by far the longest, almost 1.5 yrs, I took to complete a story.

Thank you so much if you are still waiting and reading this^^ If you have the habit of reading A/N, you probably know this story should have ended at Chapter 8 which is how it was planned out in my mind initially. Thus, the mind decides to go on strike after that and this got dragged on.

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading the last chapter and I look forward to your comments!

p.s : I just started another Infinite story, Hogyu this time. Hope to see you there! (http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1151399/)