Opening the Curtains

Kimchi and Ice Cream

It was an hour before the performance and the line-up to enter the gym was already longer than a typical high school concert line. Backstage, Woohyun and Myungsoo was getting dressed and styling their hair.

"I got these at the shop you said you liked to buy from before in Myeongdong next to the 7-Eleven." Myungsoo pointed at the shirts. "I'd think they look good on us."

"Of course you'd pick them in black!" Woohyun scolded as Myungsoo just gave him a sweet smile. Woohyun took a good look at the songlist again. "You know, some of these songs might sound good with a rap added in."

His comment almost made Myungsoo choke on his water and had to sit down. "Neither of us can come close to doing a good rap. Let's just stick to singing for now." Myungsoo looked around for a helper. "Hey you! Go check on the tech booth to see if they're ready. I'm not going to take a no for an answer." The helper panicked, nodded and quickly left. 

"Myungsoo, you don't have to act that way too..." Woohyun bent over to his sitting partner. "I'm sorry it's hard on you."

"It's not your fault." Myungsoo placed his drink down. "We've been friends since kindergarten and I'm not going to let some problem that we had no control over ruin it. Plus, I take this as jump-start practice towards my acting career."

"Still..."

The hemp bracelet on Woohyun wasn't any regular bracelet. Similar to Sungmi's bracelet it inhibits his ability to use his powers, however it also inhibits his emotions from showing directly to other people. One of the ways he can still convey them is through singing. You could even say the bracelet is more advanced - unlike Sungmi's there is no physical way to unlock it. It's not uncommon for ability users to have a confidant - but common people confidants are unusual. Myungsoo and Woohyun met at a very young age, and they were very open to each other from the start. 

"If you feel bad about it then hurry up and solve the problem." Myungsoo stood up to get changed. "Speaking of which. Hasn't another four years passed already? You still have time to find someone else to spend it with."

Every four years on Woohyun's birthday, the bracelet's inhibitors are temporarily disabled. This has only occurred once before, but the previous time he spent it in his apartment with Myungsoo. 

"Oh please. These people can't see anything beyond our image. And we both know that." Woohyun pointed at the stage curtains. 

"Maybe if you actually let them get a little closer to you." Myungsoo hinted. "Like that Seulbi. She seems nice enough from what I've heard from others. Just give it a try this year."

Woohyun fell silent. Maybe this will work...?

"If you're not giving me any objections I'll get that sorted out." Myungsoo looked accomplished. 

At the tech booth, Sungyeol was fiddling with every button he could find. He hasn't exactly used a lighting board before, but he has watched videos on the subject. Sungjong was sitting at the back on a stool while munching on a bun. He had a pair of binoculars hanging around his neck. 

"Hyung are you sure you'll be able to handle this?" Sungjong peered around. 

"It should be automatic when the show starts. I just have to make sure the automation doesn't go haywire." Sungyeol turned around. "And what are those binoculars for?"

"We're at the opposite end of the gym!" Sungjong started to explain. "I need to see if there's anything suspicious happening up close. Hyung pass me a pair of headphones I need to listen in too."

"So demanding!" Sungyeol casually threw him a pair. 

The audience was finally allowed in. Seulbi was dragging Sungmi to the front row. 

"Can you actually see anything other than their feet in the front row?" Sungmi huffed. 

"You can hear their actual voices the best up front." Seulbi insisted. She grabbed glowsticks from her bag. "Do you want one? The blue one is for Woohyun and black for Myungsoo."

"Uh, no thanks." Sungmi politely declined. "Wait...how are there black glowsticks?!" 

There was no time for an explanation as the gym was filled with excited squealing and yelling when the curtains lifted up. There were two wooden stools, a guitar on a stand and two microphones on stage. Woohyun entered the stage from the left while Myungsoo came from the right. Myungsoo grabbed the guitar and situated it nicely in a resting position. 

"After our concert I have an exciting surprise to tell everyone!" Myungsoo announced and his eyes made contact with Woohyun's.