Birthday Gone Wrong

Kimchi and Ice Cream

"Thanks for coming with me to get a cake and present for tomorrow." Seulbi said to Sungmi.

Sungmi simply sighed. "I still don't understand why you're still okay with how he's acted to you for this week. But, you're my friend so I'll help out if I can." 

"Should we go for a plain cake?" Seulbi browsed the selection carefully.

"Maybe half-chocolate, half-vanilla. I think that's the safest method." Sungmi pointed at a small round one. Hrm I wonder if I can finish that one entirely on my own.

"Okay, I'll pick that one then!" Seulbi was calling a server over (who was Sunggyu), but Sungmi placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Shouldn't we pick up the present before walking around with the cake, in case it gets squished?"

Seulbi giggled. "Oh, that's right. Silly me!"

"What are you even planning on giving him?" Sungmi was slightly curious. I-I'm just wondering what others give for presents, that's all! She reaffirmed herself. 

"I was thinking of an accessory so that he could wear it during a live." Seulbi started to fidget. Maybe a thick leather bracelet or something...?"

"Up to you." Sungmi began to imagine Woohyun wearing such a bracelet. Ahh...get out of my head! She whacked a side of her head. "Let's go then."

Sunggyu looked at the two. "Hrng, maybe Woohyun's going to be back to normal a lot faster than I thought." Though his suspicions caused him to grow a little worried. 

That night, Woohyun was texting Myungsoo. 

MS: Are you sure you'll be fine without me tomorrow?

WH: I hope so.

MS: Want me to come by sometime during the day? I have a present for you too. kekeke

WH: How about in the morning? Don't you go surprising us in the middle of the day.

MS: Okay okay. Feel free to text me any time. Night.

WH: Night. 

Woohyun placed his phone down and stared at the ceiling while lying on his bed. He only had a faint memory of who he was in the past. Being free every four years for a duration shorter than the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics was painful. He wanted to make a joke once again; he wanted to be himself again. No one could understand how much he is enduring inside. As the clock ticked towards midnight, Woohyun closed his eyes. When the seconds hand struck number 12, he could already feel that he was more relaxed than ever. 


"Heh, this looks just as weird as last time it happened." Myungsoo flopped onto the couch. 

Woohyun pretended to throw a pancake at Myungsoo to which he 'dodged'.

"Don't waste the food!" Myungsoo laughed. 

"It'd be a waste if I gave it to you!" Woohyun joked. "Hurry up and finish breakfast before Seulbi comes over."

"I'm still a little sad about not being able to spend this day with you." Myungsoo pouted slightly. 

"Think about it this way." Woohyun offered him a plate. "Once we get this all cleared up we can be like this every day."

"EVERY DAY?! That'll get boring quickly." Myungsoo started to eat breakfast. "You can open the present later."

"I probably already know what it is." Woohyun threw him a napkin.

After breakfast was done, Myungsoo headed out the door. "Best of luck today." When Woohyun was alone, he was coming up with ideas of how to surprise Seulbi. Should he slowly transition, or simply give her an upfront ta-da! when she comes? He was wearing brighter clothing today in order to complement his mood. 

Something was bothering him though. He still felt no attraction towards Seulbi. "I thought that the bond with Sungmi would be disabled for today?"

Meanwhile over at Sungmi's apartment, Sungyeol was ready to head out. 

"Why am I even helping him pack his stuff? He should have packed it last night." Sungyeol complained.

"Oh be nice." Sungmi flicked her finger onto his arm. "It'll liven up our place with a rentee."

"Couldn't we have chosen someone other than Sungjong?!" Sungyeol kept whining. 

"Just pick the boy up."

Sungyeol looked defeated. "We'll be here after lunch."

Sungmi smiled and waved goodbye.

When Sungyeol closed the front door he heard a chuckle in the hallway. "That sounds a lot like Myungsoo..." Indeed when he walked to the elevators he was standing there smiling to himself. When Myungsoo realized he had company, he briefly coughed and stopped laughing. Inside the elevator the two of them didn't dare speak out and one else was taking the elevator at this time, so awkwardness ensued. By the time they reached the first floor, Sungyeol finally took a breath as he walked out. 

"Oh hello!" 

Seulbi was holding a cake box and a wrapped present. Sungyeol didn't recall that it 
was his sister's birthday. So if Myungsoo is here, as well as Seulbi...

"Yup you got the address right." Myungsoo gave her a pat on the back. "Woohyun's waiting for you."

I knew it! Sungyeol walked past them. 

Seulbi hesitated to ring the doorbell when she arrived in front of Woohyun's unit. She double checked her appearance with her phone. Without even pressing the doorbell the door opened. A really happy Woohyun appeared in front of her. Seulbi's eyes opened wider than ever. That was Woohyun standing there, right?

Woohyun slid behind her and lightly pushed her into the living room. Seulbi felt a completely different vibe from Woohyun and started to worry. "A-are you feeling well today?"

"Me?" Woohyun pointed at himself. "Never felt better than this!"

"I-I don't know, something doesn't feel right..." Seulbi hesitated, but handed him the present. "Here you go, Happy Birthday!"

"Aw, thanks Seulbi. Can I open it now?" Woohyun really couldn't hide his excitement even if he wanted to.

Seulbi took a step back. "Um, sure."

It was the accessory that Seulbi had mentioned previously to Sungmi. "Thank you so much Seulbi. It really warms my heart."

Seulbi couldn't take it any longer. "I'm uh- I suddenly remembered I had to meet my parents today for a mock exam." She shuffled quickly to the entrance. 

"Wait! Seulbi!" Woohyun placed his gift down to chase after her. "It really is me..."

"I'm sorry, I can't do this." Seulbi was very uncomfortable with the situation and Woohyun picked up on it. He stopped in front of the door and watched her leave.