The Chosen

Kimchi and Ice Cream

The concert started off well and Sungyeol was glad that there were no bumps to the automation of the lighting board. Sungjong was still very attentive at the back while peering through his binoculars. 

"I wonder what this announcement's going to be about." Sungjong finished his bun after those words. "They're definitely up to something strange."

Everyone was thinking the same thing out in the audience area. "Could it be that they're adding a third person?" someone blurted out. Speculations were causing a buzz in the crowd. By the last song, it was apparent, even to Sungyeol who did not have binoculars, that the two boys were tired. Sungmi was quite surprised that the two of them can actually sing, and sing pretty well. Something was special about Woohyun's voice, but Sungmi brushed it off as she had never heard his voice clearly before. 

"ENCORE! ENCORE!" The crowd shouted at them. Myungsoo signaled them to quiet down.

"For all of next week, Woohyun is going to be spending his time with a special fan!" Myungsoo announced. The crowd gasped in response and more mumbling could be heard:

"What does this mean?" 

"Woohyung wants to date one of us?"

"Are we doing a school version of We Got Married?!"

"WHAAAAAAT." Sungjong blurted out inside the booth. "This was completely unexpected!" His bangs fell from being side-swept. The sudden sound shocked Sungyeol and he accidentally turned of all the lights on the stage. 

"Gah, you scared me!" Sungyeol flailed and managed to find a spotlight for the stage.

On stage, Woohyun whispered to Myungsoo. "Whoa, you found a good helper for the lights this time."

Myungsoo was surprised as well. "And he told me that it was his first time doing it." He cleared his voice for the audience. "So Woohyun will approach the special person starting next week! We won't give any hints until that time!"

The remaining two days of the school week was overloaded with rumours and speculations. 

"I wonder who it could be." Seulbi talked over lunch with Sungmi. 

"I'm new to this school, remember? I'm not familiar with statuses and such." Sungmi took a sip of her soup. "And I don't like this idea. It's like they're playing with emotions."

"Maybe he really does like the girl?" Seulbi suggested. "I mean, they have been at this school for over two years and Myungsoo pretty much knows all of the fans in the school. It's highly likely that they found someone they like."

"Doesn't it sound too sudden though?" Sungmi grew even more suspicious.

"I overheard others in our class saying that it could be Pamii in our grade."

"Pa-who?"

"Pamii" Seulbi repeated. "I don't think it's her actual name but people just call her by that. She comes from a pretty wealthy background."

Sungmi began to tackle the rice. "Haven't peopled learned from k-dramas that it's not always the pretty, wealthy girl that gets the guy?"

"Yeah but it sometimes actually happens in real life!" Seulbi ducked towards Sungmi. "Have you had any crushes in the past?"

Sungmi remembered one time in grade 3 when she really admired a classmate of hers. She tried to send flaming hearts to him, but had no clue why the boy cried and she never saw him again. "Nothing special in particular."

"I really do like Woohyun." Seulbi blushed. "Ever since the first year we met I felt a special connection with him. I never had the courage to confess to him though. Now it might be too late." She started to fidget. "Have you heard about the rumours about him?"

Sungmi nodded. "Do you think it's true?"

With a pondering look, Seulbi answered, "People can say what they want about it. Only Woohyun knows the truth. People are scared about asking him, but that's the only to know for sure."

"What if he lies about it?"

"He's not a bad guy." Seulbi started to grin. "You just have look behind the face."

That was a tough pill to swallow for Sungmi. "So far I haven't seen a single good thing about this guy." Though his singing is pretty good. Wait why am I thinking that?

"Oh stop it." Seulbi frowned.


On Monday, the halls of the school completely changed. Sungmi noticed that almost every girl was dressed nicer than usual: shirts tucked, skirts ironed, hair styled, etc. Make-up was not allowed, but you could tell some girls had some natural-looking products used on their faces. 

"This is so weird." Sungmi was walking beside her brother. "This is SO weird. Why the heck did our parents send us to this school?!"

"You think this is weird?" Sungyeol couldn't help but look around. "All the guys seem extra depressed today. Even the ones with a girlfriend."

Suddenly a huge crowd gathered around Sungmi's classroom. The siblings briefly looked at each other before hurrying to the scene. 

"Yeollie I can't see! Tell me what's going on in there!" Sungmi was hopping up and down.  

Sungyeol could easily peer into the classroom. "Woohyun's right beside someone's desk."

"Which one?" Sungmi wanted to punch the people in front of her. Why am I suddenly getting anxious?

Sungyeol did not have to answer her sister as whispers travelled along the crowd, sending a message:

"It's Seulbi!"