Nine

11:11

    “-And this is why an easy trick is just to put the right angle on the right, and have point A be the leftmost vertex. Then you can plug into sine, cosine and tangent without any issues.”  Youjung was practically begging for Soorim to understand it by now. It was not the first time that the two had turned to tutoring; Youjung was naturally a prodigy it seemed, in mathematics. Soorim was more artistic, making it hard on her for choosing to major in medical science. The Academies had a grueling policy that you were not allowed to change your academy; either stay in your current major, or change back to your local high school. It was not surprise why so many students left by their last year if the found a passion in an outside topic from their major.

    “Oh! I think I kind of get it now. Gomawo, unnie,” Soorim said cheerfully, blissfully unaware of the fact that Youjung would have most likely ripped out her hair if Soorim had any other response. Hyebin was typing away at her laptop, swinging her legs. The trio decided to spend the warm weather outside in their free time; school was back, and the workload, although lighter than their first year, was stacked with the ridiculous amount of required electives.

    “Finally! Hyebin-ah, are you okay? You’ve been a little weird these days,” Youjung directed her attention to the youngest of the three. Since a week before school started, it was true that Hyebin was acting a little out of it. She was clumsier, less focused and aware of what went on. Soorim had originally suggested it was from the stress of coming back to their little “Hell”, but Youjung had differing thoughts, especially from living with the said girl. She knew that the girl was not the type to say it aloud, and that she disliked giving away personal weakness; it was shown just by her past with family problems that took almost a month of coaxing to understand the girl completely.

    “I’m fine. I think I need some sleep though, or just coffee. I’m going to go buy some. Be right back.” Hyebin got up abruptly and left. These days, sleep did not come by, but headaches had. She began her nights at the cafe because school began, much to the delight of the granny who ran it. She got the grades she wanted now, which was a relief, but it required more effort. Her second year schedule had more free time, but it felt like less with the amount of time she committed to track and field, which she started for sprinting, as well as the amount of time she poured into studying. She walked into the second floor cafeteria, stopping by the iced coffee vending machine. She sighed, reaching into her pockets for the 1000 won needed to pay, before she heard the machine create buzzing sounds, signalling that someone paid.

    “Go ahead, I’ll pay.” Hyebin felt herself tense. She didn’t want to turn and face him. After the last time they had met, it felt a little awkward. Their original close relationship felt unsettled. “Come on, shorty.”

    “Gomawo.” She hit a random button, knowing the products from every button was the same, before ducking down to grab the cold can, and did her best to leave without facing him. Junhoe’s cologne scent still brought joy to her, and she could feel her heart beat a little faster at the comforting smell.

    “I missed you.” He said in a matter of fact tone. I missed you too, Hyebin thought to herself. She didn’t say it aloud. He certainly did not change from his blunt and straightforward words. “You avoided me the whole break, didn’t you?” You didn’t even make an effort to see me, did you? Hyebin felt her hands clench into fists, but it was not out of anger. “If you have free time today, let’s go out. It’s been awhile since we had a best friend day. What do you say?” It was so tempting to say yes, and the answer left her lips before she could stop herself.

    “Andwae. I have something today, and I can’t break the promise.” She finally turned to face him, and he looked at her, trying to analyze her like she had seen him do with choreographies. Although she did not admit it, she had passed by the first floor cafeteria and used the second floor one in hopes to pass the dance studio and see the boys of iKON, or more specifically, Junhoe. She remembered all those detours she made in her first year to do that. Looks like old habits really did die hard.

    “Something more important to you than you and me? Even Jisoo asked where you were these days,” Junhoe’s eyes never left hers, and she took the initiative to duck away first. She was slightly surprised that she even had the ability to turn him down; he meant the world to her.

    “I have to go on a date today with Jinhyeong.” The words poured out of her lips, and she almost wished she could swallow them back again. Junhoe’s face was practically priceless; his eyes were huge, and his mouth was parted in shock. He looked partially betrayed that he didn’t know, although she was not sure if it was because she did not tell him, or if it were that Jinhyeong had not brought it up to him either.

    “So you do like him. That day at the cafe, you said maybe.” Junhoe crossed his arms over his chest. Hyebin did not even need the coffee to feel awake. The situation jolted her to realize how many things seemed off in the situation; she should not be confronted by Junhoe about this topic, nor should she have let herself come to the second floor cafe.

    “Maybe I do, maybe I don’t.” She repeated the phrase once again. “My answer didn’t change from that day to now.” It truly had not. She did have her heart still yearning for Junhoe secretly, but on the outside it appeared that she truly did have something growing for Jinhyeong. And perhaps it was just that. The selfishness on the chance for her to try and move on from Junhoe, and for her to give someone else a shot.

    “He’s a good guy. He’s tall, he’s sweet, he’s close to you. He’s smart and hardworking too. A lot of people see you two as a potential thing. Don’t let this chance go,” Junhoe said with a smile, as if to show that he too supported it. “Although as your best friend, I hope he knows that I’m still priority number one, and that he better not treat you wrong.” She nodded in agreement; of course he was still of utmost importance.

    “I have to go.” Hyebin left once again in a hasty manner, not wanting him to catch up to her. She would rather lack the company of others, and she forced herself to smile at a few of the peers she passed in the hallways, before ducking into a staircase, and walking to the small space under the stairwell. It was amazing how no one seemed to occupy these spaces, and although even in the heat of the summer it was still cold, she welcomed it as a companion as she hugged her knees close to her chest. The iced coffee was next to her, almost like a souvenir from her first legitimate conversation with Junhoe since his birthday.

    I have to go on a date today with Jinhyeong. Those were her exact words. She felt her eyes close as she rested her head on the painted cinder block walls. She remembered that day in the park vividly; of course it was only a week ago, but not a detail slipped her mind.

    “I’m saying that I like you, babo. More than just a close friend. Will you give me a chance?” Jinhyeong looked thoroughly embarrassed at this point, and Hyebin was still feeling undeniably uncomfortable. This was not meant to happen; Jinhyeong was one of her closest friends, and she did not want him to like her in this way. He was the crush of many other girls, despite not being quite as popular as iKON, and she knew he deserved a good girl. One who loved him with her whole heart and soul, a sweet girl to take care of him when he was sick, someone to hold his hand on their walks through the hallways or in the park. Not her, who had her mind and heart split between grades and Junhoe, not to mention her own best friends.

    “I- uh. Um,” Hyebin tried to formulate her own sentence, but it was to no avail. He chuckled at her loss in ability to speak, while she felt her face burn in agitation.

    “I know you like Junhoe, and that you have school to worry about. But just one day, and we can see how it goes from there, can’t we?” Jinhyeong had a pleading look to his eyes, and Hyebin felt herself nod before she could stop it, before turning away. She needed to think rationally; this would make Jinhyeong feel better temporarily, but she did not, in any circumstances, want to lead him on. She knew it was not right, but at the same time, she also knew she needed to let go a little of Junhoe. He was dating Jisoo, and there was an obvious nature about the pair that they were a solid couple. Perhaps Hyebin should try to live life a little more and take Jinhyeong’s offer.

    “Only once.” Hyebin finally said, and Jinhyeong beamed. He always had one of the nicest smiles, and it definitely showed. There was something that seemed to tug at her heartstrings; was this so wrong to let him be happy with just one date, even when he was fully aware of her liking Junhoe?

    “I promise you won’t regret it, and it won’t be uncomfortable. We can just go out for dinner after school, and I’ll walk you home, neh? Nothing big, and if it’s okay, then maybe I’ll ask you out for a second date. Only if it’s okay with you,” Jinhyeong hastily added the last sentence as he remembered how she seemed a little uncomfortable. Hyebin nodded, trying to smile sincerely back at him. It was hard; she never expected once in a thousand years for Jinhyeong to like her of all boys.

Yes, many nameless faces had confessed that they found her hardworking nature attractive, or the fact that she was single triggered their interest, but it was always about her image; the innocent and inexperienced one. Only a few guys could see past it: iKON and Jinhyeong. And that was why she was surprised he liked her even when he saw her greed for good grades, and how desperate and depressed she could be when she was not in school.

“What day?” She asked, trying to take the initiative to be interested. It was the least she could do for the boy who was there as emotional and mental support when Junhoe had first dropped the bomb on her birthday.

“How about one week from now? That way we can get settled into school, and you can have some time to back out if you really need to.” Jinhyeong said with an understanding tone to his voice. And maybe that was the reason why to this day, the D- day, she did not back out. Because it was Jinhyeong, who knew so much about her. Because it was him, who saw her bad side and still chose to ask her out. She felt comforted that knowing at least they agreed to not risk their friendship for the date. And that date, she realized, was in less than half an hour. It was the end of the school day, and she had no track practice either. She pulled the tab of the iced coffee can, hearing the pop sound as it opened, and took a sip, relishing the sweet flavor. Her sweet tooth always made her feel better.

When she opened her eyes again, the time read that it was already 5:21 pm. Her eyes widened, and she bolted from under the stairwell and out into the open and deserted hallways. She was supposed to have met Jinhyeong by her locker six minutes before, when everyone else had left the building for their homes or clubs, or whatever was the case. She sprinted around the corner, and let out a small sigh of relief as she saw the said boy, who was nervously retying his tie for his school uniform.

“Mian. I fell asleep,” Hyebin said as she jogged over, lightly out of breath from the sudden run. He sent her his famous smile that sent most of the girls head over heels for him.

“It’s fine. I couldn’t even notice. Come on, let’s get going.” He offered his arm to her, and she hesitated, before linking on. They left the doors in the hallway, and stepped out into the warmth of May, where the sunlight greeted them with the songs of birds and a comforting breeze. It was not awkward for Hyebin, especially because it wasn’t the first time she had linked arms with Jinhyeong. They had been that close previously.

“Which restaurant are we going to?” Hyebin asked curiously. Their school’s location was convenient; only a five minute walk to a small shopping centre with restaurants and shops, and a two minute walk away from a main road with a variety of small snack shops and boutiques. Jinhyeong pointed towards the mall.

“I thought it would be better to stay at a mall. There would be a lot to do in between dinner and dessert.” He said with a cheerful tone, and the two walked in a silence. It was not one of those silences that made others cringe, but one that would make onlookers assume the two were naturally close. The walk helped her take out whatever stress was built up previously in the day, and helped him organize his excited mind. When they arrived at the restaurant in mind, a popular place for many students to go on dates, Jinhyeong took the lead and told the waitress that there were two, and got everything going. Hyebin appreciated his efforts immensely.    

“I like this place. The decorations are very nice here. And the menu is amazing. I hope you know that I’m not letting you pay for me,” Hyebin said as she flipped through to see what the venue offered. He began to protest, but she shot him a glare, before flipping through once more. There was no way she was letting herself be one of those girls who let the boy do everything- besides, she was fairly wealthy, and he was too. They both knew that there was no dent to their wallets.

“May I take your orders?” A waitress came by with her notepad, and Jinhyeong nodded, before gesturing for Hyebin to order first.

“Can I have kimchi fries and a coconut bubble tea?” Hyebin handed her menu to the waitress as the order was taken. The waitress then looked at Jinhyeong, who was waiting patiently for his own turn.

“May I have a tonkatsu and chocolate bubble tea?” The waitress left, and the two were left alone. Hyebin began to felt a little pressured. This was not the first time the two had ever hung out after a school day together, but it was the first time without the others at a restaurant, and the first time she went on a date with a boy since her days in middle school dating Chanwoo. She had forgotten what it was like to go out to a restaurant with someone who had asked her as a romantically interested way, especially since all her time with Junhoe at the cafe was a silent and mutual agreement.

“So how was your day?” She began awkwardly. In the background, music from some of the most popular music groups were playing, and the TV screens showed one of the music shows going on. Jinhyeong let out a light chuckle.

“Don’t be so uncomfortable with me. I don’t like seeing you like that. Oh, and Girl’s Generation is up. Isn’t YoonA so pretty?” He let out a sigh of admiration, and Hyebin rolled her eyes. She was a fan, but she was biased towards Seohyun for being her true role model.

“Seohyun all the way! She’s so young, but she’s so hard working and smart,” Hyebin stated, before staring up at the screen to see them performing their latest hit, Run Devil Run. Although the comeback was over, it was a special rerun of the last stage.

“Just like you,” Jinhyeong complimented her, and Hyebin felt herself flush. She stayed silent, and the two watched as the stage ended, before continuing to Lee Hyori. The two continued to watch, until their waitress arrived again with their food, and the pair thanked her before paying attention to their food.

“Let’s dig in. Don’t mind me if I steal from you,” Hyebin said with a playful smile. He laughed before snatching one of her fries before she could even pick up her utensils. She let out a gasp, pretending to be offended by his behavior, and tried her best to snatch a piece of his cutlet. Before the two knew it, they were back to their comfortable behavior.

 


 

“Today was fun,” Hyebin admitted as she tied her hair up. She was back in the safety of the cafe, her stack of homework next to her, and the moon high in the warm night.

“That’s good. I was hoping you’d feel better,” Junhoe said. She did not expect to see him at the cafe, but she could not just leave after she stepped in already; it would have been obvious that she was trying to avoid him, as well as the fact that he announced he was waiting for her for an hour. She sat down wordlessly with her backpack, before the two fell into their first year ways: her working hard and him playing computer games and watching videos of dances.

“Do you care that I went on a date today?” She asked, her eyes still on the trigonometry paper in front of her. He was eating some of his frozen yogurt, before pausing thoughtfully.

“Of course I care. I’m the king, and I didn’t even give you my royal persmission, you peasant. But in seriousness, I think it’s nice to see you smile. Are you two finally a thing?” Junhoe asked with a lopsided grin. Hyebin smiled back at him, looking up from her homework. She missed these nights of chatter, and of his company, and she missed hearing those stupid jokes. And maybe that was why…

“No. I told him my honest feelings. I don’t like Jinhyeong that way, and he understands. But he made me promise that if by our last year, during our Graduation Dance, if I don’t have anyone propose to be my date, then he was taking it.” She said with a smile. Yes, she had turned him down. The two had an undeniably pleasant day, but it was only after they had returned to acting as friends. For Jinhyeong, she was a girl he liked, but probably not enough in a romantic way. For Hyebin, Jinhyeong was only a close brotherly figure, just like the other iKON boys were.

“You always surprise me to no end. You unpredictable short girl,” he said, shaking his head. “Breaking hearts left and right like a boss.” Hyebin laughed at his words, shaking her own head at his childishness.

“Then how about I do something predictable? It’s 11:11, let’s make a wish. The first one together of our second year,” she proposed, and she watched the boy she truly loved close his eyes, and she mimicked him. “I hope we have many more years of friendship to come.”

--

Hello my lovelies! I'm finally done with this chapter! I'm surprised so many of you thought I was going to make Jinhyeong ask Hyebin out, because I honestly had no idea I was going to do it until I randomly did. But as much as I love Jinhyeong (and I really do love him and I cried when he didn't get into iKON), Junhoe still won out. And I think I just wanted people to realize that it's wrong to lead others on, and that I know some of you may have liked Jinhyeong and Hyebin as a a pair, but in the moment, they're too close of friends. Junhoe is still her true love, although he's only seeing Jisoo. It's one of those situations that I think is unavoidable, but we always take a different way: whether it be continuing to lead the guy on, trying to move on, or trying to sabotage the other relationship. We'll let Hyebin figure it out. I loved all your comments, and please do upvote and comment more because I love you all so much <3