Eleven

11:11

    “Junhoe?” The phone line was crackling from the rain and stormy weather interfering. There was something very wrong about the situation. He had called her, and Hyebin had answered cheerfully, but she was not sure why he would not respond. She knew he was on the line, however, because she could hear his breathing, which was uneven and ragged. Finally, the sound of a sob came from the other end, and Hyebin froze, her body tense. “Junhoe? What’s wrong?” She was panicking at his actions. They had a peaceful few months, and winter was making it’s arrival once again. November was chilly, and the last of the beautifully colored leaves clinging desperately to the trees.

    “Can we meet at the cafe?” Hyebin was already up by the time she heard it. She knew that despite the weather, she was willing to tough it up and get out into the storm to go to Junhoe.

    “See you in five.” She hung up, threw on a rain jacket, and called out an incoherent excuse to leave the apartment. She didn’t even know what she had said; something about wanting patbingsoo and going to get it. She doubted Youjung would believe it, but she also knew that Youjung would have no way to prevent her from leaving because she was already out the door in her pajamas, a rain coat, and sneakers, carrying only a small bag,  sprinting down the halls towards the elevator.

    It stung, feeling the cold rain hitting her in the face. Wind made her hair slap and cling to her face, but she did not slow down for a moment. Anyone would have thought she was crazy, but she could not care less what others would see. Multiple times, she had asked her friends what they would have thought if she still liked Junhoe, and the answer was always the same: why would you, when you should’ve moved on by now? Or why would she, if he was unaware of her feelings? And maybe that made the situation seem more biting; here she was, sprinting in a thunderstorm at a night in the middle of the late fall, to a boy who was someone else’s.

    Still, she shoved the thought away as she heaved the door open, scrambling into the cafe. It bothered her greatly that he was not the typically cheerful or indifferent boy he had always been; what was strong enough to break Junhoe down?

    “Junhoe?” Her voice was gentle, almost like the wind in spring that would tug at the flowers in a field. He had his back facing the door, hunched over with shoulders lowered in submission. That was the first difference she noticed; he was not his normal dominating figure that she had always been used to seeing him as. It made all the difference, and made him seem as though a great wolf had become a harmless puppy. She ran over to him, dropping her bag of junk foods that she knew he loved (Chocopies and chocolates).

    “Hyebin? Gomawo, for coming,” he sounded tired. Tired of school, tired of work, tired of life. It tore at her heart to see him so lifeless.

    “Of course I would come, you arrogant toad. What’s up?” She had to word it lightly. If there was anything she had deduced about Junhoe when he was stressed, it was that he did not usually take to pity. Or rather, he would not reply until he felt that no one was looking down on him.

    “It’s my parents.” The three words seemed to have a lifetime of struggling behind them, and Hyebin understood. Frankly, any of the iKON boys probably knew what this life was like. The expectations of parents who were in the highest of positions, only expecting their children to come to accept that role. It was tiring, to say the least. Hyebin stayed silent, waiting for him to continue.

    “I’m one of the youngest in my cousins. I actually have an older brother, but that’s besides the case. Everyone in my family is the same; a doctor, a lawyer, the head of some huge company. I think you can tell I’m not about that life.” Hyebin nodded, remembering all the times he seemed so indifferent during their medical science classes, but the way a spark of passion would come to him during his times in the dance room with iKON. “I love music, I really do. It’s just that I knew if I did apply for the music academy at this school, my parents would have definitely whipped me. They love me, but they don’t really know about raising children.”

    “You remind me of someone I know. Maybe I can introduce you two someday,” Hyebin thought about her brother, Yongguk, who was probably in his studio right now, late in the night, figuring out the next hit song for one of his artists. She could easily envision the two getting along; they had a similar air of confidence; of reassurance that they both knew where they were heading.

    “Please do. I’m sick of this.” He gestured vaguely around him, and Hyebin assumed it was of his constricting lifestyle. Children of this society either went one way or another; they let themselves become obedient puppets, as Hyebin had, or they fight for their life, just like Yongguk had. It would hurt Hyebin more to have Junhoe restrained than to probably never see him again in her life.

    “Anyways, here’s a little present.” Hyebin picked up the forgotten plastic bag, before pouring the chocolates and Chocopies out. Junhoe chuckled, although a little bit stiffly. Hyebin examined him a little closer; he was wearing a collared sweatshirt that covered the bottom of his sharp jaw. She reached over without warning, yanking it down. He looked at her in surprise, before she felt a sob choke out.

    “What happened to you?” She felt tears beginning to form, but she wiped them away. He rubbed his hair awkwardly, before pulling the collar back up, covering the ugly bruise that was blossoming.

    “I’d love to eat, but I don’t think I can do that easily right now. My dad just got a little mad when I talked back. I guess Junsu never fought back.” Hyebin let out a small hiccup, brushing the last of her tears away with the back of her hand. She felt anger bubble in the pit of her stomach- how dare his father do such a horrendous act? “Oh right, this might be one of the last of our nights at the cafe for a while.”

    “M- Mwoh?” Hyebin stared at him dumbly, unable to even think about what he had just announced. Their second year had gone on relatively smoothly- he was getting decent grades now, and Hyebin was pulling her own weight with her grades. It was almost a dream come true with how happy she was feeling these days in comparison to the days in her first year where she looked like a depressed puppy.

    “You see, my dad saw my grades. And then he came over to the penthouse, pulled some crap, and told me that I’m moving back to the other side of Gangnam. I’ll still be at school, but not so close to you anymore. Hey, at least I can see Jisoo, right?” He let out a forced chuckle, and she had almost a migraine. It was not about Junhoe dating Jisoo anymore, nor was it about the fact that she was just ‘the friend’. It was about him moving almost half an hour away.

    “No more nights with you at the cafe? Or spontaneous outings after school with the boys and girls?” Hyebin asked somberly. He took a chocolate, unwrapping it carefully, before handing it to her with a smile.

    “I’ll be allowed to stay on Friday nights and over the weekend until Sundays. Maybe I can’t spend every night with you because that would be unfair to the guys, and they would whoop my , but I’m sure I can definitely make some exceptions. That’s what best friends are for. Besides, I think I can trust Jinhyeong to babysit you.” Hyebin stuck out her tongue as his words. It was comforting that despite it being his last night, he chose to spend it with her. It was probably one of those few things that she could count on him to do instantly: give her peace with his easy going personality.

    “I don’t need a babysitter,” Hyebin mumbled, before getting up. She moved towards the kitchen, grabbing a small plastic bag and filling it with ice, before wrapping a hand towel around it. She came back to give it to Junhoe for his bruise, and he was eyeing her suspiciously.

    “You look like you’d need once though- you’re short enough to be a choding,” he grinned, and she narrowed her eyes, glaring at him. She raised her hand, ready to smack his arm, before he shrunk away. “Okay shorty! Let’s not beat up this beautiful being into pulp!” He grabbed the ice pack and pressed it onto his jaw.

    “What are you going to do without me?” Hyebin asked him, feeling giddy for a moment to see her dandy work helping him. He looked up at her from his seated position, as if to analyze something about her. There she was, his best friend. The girl who ran through a thunderstorm in the late autumn just to hear his crappy life story, and still managed to bring his favorite junk foods. The girl who made him loosen up by making the weirdest of wishes.

    “I’d be lost. You’re stuck with me forever. Even if we aren’t in a relationship romantically- which would be really weird as best friends- you’re still my soul mate,” he gave her a smirk at his words, and her heart was fluttering. His soul mate. She was his soul mate.

    “Are soul mates different from the love of your life?” She asked aloud, curious at what Junhoe thought. She was sure that between illustrating the emotions in so many dances and lyrics that he would have a satisfying answer.

    “Soul mates are a pair of people who are naturally inclined to be there for you no matter what, and can be a best friend or the same gender. The love of your life is just that; the love of your life. I think I have both,” he pointed at her, before picking up his phone and showing the lock screen’s image was him and Jisoo. While there was a pang of disappointment in her stomach, Hyebin did not let it ruin the atmosphere. Perhaps as much as she needed Junhoe, he needed Hyebin.

    “So what do you want to do our last night together, soul mate?” She let the word roll off of her lips, unsure of how it felt. He grinned at her question, before pointing at the clock.

    “It’s a Friday night, and that means that noraebang is still open. Let’s go.” She laughed, and obliged.

    “I hope you have money, because I’m broke.” She said, and he took out his wallet, rolling his eyes at her comment. They left the cafe, locking up the doors, before making a dash down the sidewalks in the rain, which was only starting to lighten up. There was laughter, as they playfully shoved each other, and when they arrived, it was as if they had taken showers in their clothes. Not even Hyebin’s raincoat saved her pajamas’ from the sopping mess she had become, but it just caused more laughter. They were ushered into a room, where Junhoe cranked up the heating, trying to save the two from catching a cold.

    “We have a lot of time to kill. The night is still young. Any songs?” He asked, before thinking for a moment. A realization seemed to shake him. “Oh gosh! I just remembered that you were good at singing. I am too, if I don’t say so myself,” Junhoe winked, and Hyebin pretended to hit him with a tambourine. He tossed her one of the two mics, and she caught it, before she saw him typing in songs. 2010 was a year of good songs, and Hyebin was sure that he could find many things. His song choice gave her a moment of hesitation before nodding, determined to nail it. It was no other than GD & TOP’s ‘Oh Yeah’, featuring the amazing girl vocals of Park Bom. Hyebin waiting, nervous about her own part. Of course she recognized that Junhoe was a fantastic vocalist, but she had never experienced him rapping. His voice was unique, and while it wasn’t bad on the ears, Hyebin secretly wanted him to sing.

    Eumneulcheoreom byeori bitnaneun bame. Haengunui yegami uril bureune. Areumdaun soriro jilleojwo. Like this like this like this.” Hyebin belted each note as well as she could, and she felt almost sorry to Park Bom for ruining her song. Regardless, when the song ended with the score of 89, Junhoe looked impressed.

    “Maybe you aren’t Park Bom, but if I could ever stand on stage, I hope you know that I’d want to sing with you sometime. You should choose a song for me, and I’ll choose one for you,” he gave her the remote control, and Hyebin let all the songs she could think of from the year flood into her memory. What song was she dying to hear from him? The song hit her, and she typed it in, before passing the remote to Junhoe, who seemed to have his own thoughts about what song to make her sing. He punched in his own song, before he pressed the button that began the songs. His came up first, and he seemed a little surprised. It was ‘A Confession of a Friend’ by 2am, and it was probably what she wanted to say to him. She let herself enjoy his rough voice, which was soothing at the same time. He did not disappoint.

    “As a friend, to remain as friends , I had to push the confessions down my throat. . .” The lyrics pricked her heart. Yes, she did have to push down confessions. She did have to stay that way to remain as friends. She valued the friendship too much to do otherwise. She let him finish the song, which earned a very well deserved 98, before she picked up her own mic, standing up to get ready. She stared at the screen in disbelief as the title came up. ‘Good day’ by IU. What was Junhoe even thinking of?

    “I have high expectations, shorty. Don’t screw it up!” He shouted gleefully as she began. She was flustered to say the least, but she gave it her best; the lyrics were pretty soothing. She did like Junhoe, who was an oppa. She didn’t know how to express it. It matched up, although unintentionally, and by the time the famous three notes came out, Hyebin was already deep into the performance.

    I’m in my dream.” She dragged the note out, feeling a strain in as she pushed for the next note, and then finally the last one. It wasn’t completely in pitch, but it was not so bad that Junhoe had to leave the room. With a little practice, Hyebin felt like she could be able to do it, although she was sure she would lose her voice.

    “That was satisfying. Although you might need a tuner,” Junhoe grinned at her, and she cuffed his head lightly. Only an hour and a half before, he was an angered and upset boy. How he had changed! She was with someone who did not seem to have been in a fight with his father recently, but someone who was out for a night of carefree fun- something she was not good at, but something he was excellent at.

    “Give me a tuner and I’ll gladly break it over your face. It might make you better looking,” Hyebin plopped herself next to him on the seats, and watched as her score came up. 91. It was not bad. She let out a soft yawn, and he noticed, smiling at her sadly.

    “I think we should get someone home before she becomes a heavy potato that I’m supposed to piggy back. Whenever I come back, we should come here more often. I think I’d really like to stand on stage with you.” He picked up his sweatshirt, pulling it back over his head, and Hyebin smiled.

    “Did you make a wish before?” She asked him. He nodded, looking a little hesitant, before glancing at the time.

    “I think I’m not supposed to say this, but I really did wish to stand on stage with you someday. Let’s make it happen, please?”

--

HELLO MY LOVELIES! I am so sorry for not updating in a while- I was incredibly busy and I couldn't even find energy to type when I had the time. But I still loved all of your comments, even if I don't reply. Thank you so much for loving this story. I wanted to shed some light on Junhoe as a character- I made him the same sassy iKON member we all love, but I find it necessary to not just leave it at that. He has his own back story, and I was dying to begin to let some of it out. Some of you caught on fast with how I didn't let you know what her letter to him was on the ferris wheel, or what their wishes were. I'll let you know later on in the story because I assure you I did not just get lazy. Please continue to comment and upvote and subscribe <3 (And this is unrelated, but I might be thinking up of a next story when this is done, so let me know what you guys think about a BAP story because I was abosultely touched and crying when Bang Yongguk's 'AM 4:44' was released).