Twelve

11:11

To say that she was waiting for this day to come was not true. Her birthday was never something she could look forward to. Ever since that night, Hyebin had seen and spent a significantly less amount of time with Junhoe, but also with Jisoo- after all, his girlfriend had only came to this side of their town for him. The lack of both of their presences gave her both an emptiness but also a chance for her to pick up her life once more where it should be: dedicating herself to her studies. Perhaps it was her being such a coward to escape, or that old habits truly did die hard, but Hyebin was ensnared into the life where she would forever be obediently waiting for her parents’ approval. It was the society’s standards in which she had been raised under, and there was no way she could let that leave from her systems so fast.

    However, while she did not look forward to her birthday, or the fact that maturity was becoming inevitable at this point because she was turning sixteen, Hyebin realized that there was chance for her to see Junhoe once more. She felt more at ease, thinking of him as a soul mate even if he could not be her love. That night was just a reminder, yet again, of how Junhoe seemed certain that Jisoo was his girl forever- he had said it himself by calling her the love of his life. Jisoo had also taken the initiative after that night to come to Hyebin, and to thank the slightly younger girl. She had said that despite knowing Junhoe for such a long time, he had never opened up his personal issues to her, and that she felt comforted knowing Junhoe could go to Hyebin when Jisoo was not an option. It made Hyebin feel more privileged.

    With her birthday coming up fast, as well as the one year anniversary of Jisoo and Junhoe, along with the New Year, Hyebin was definite that there would be no celebration. There was the possibility of a cake, and delayed presents from iKON, Jinhyeong, and Soorim and Youjung, not to mention some message from Yongguk, but Hyebin had no real expectation. Instead, she decided to spend her New Years Eve simply with her friends, who were reunited at the penthouse. Jisoo and Junhoe were able to join, as were Soorim, Youjung and Jinhyeong. There was no banner that gave away evidence of anything related to her birthday, and Youjung had promised a girls day out with her and Soorim, but it was forgotten.

    “Can I borrow my short soulmate for a moment?” Junhoe gave a smile that was worth millions, and at his words, Jinhyeong rolled his eyes in a playful way.

    “Gosh hyung, don’t be such a player. You already have Jisoo, let Hyebin be mine for a moment.” It was jokes like this that made Hyebin still feel apologetic towards Jinhyeong, who was able to stick out every awkward moment with Junhoe there, knowing that Hyebin was wholeheartedly in love with him. Junhoe nudged him, not realizing the truth in Jinhyeong’s mock accusation, before grabbing Hyebin’s wrist and steering her away. Jisoo was with Soorim and Youjung, all of whom were talking about boyfriends, or a crush in Soorim’s case.

    “What was that?” Hyebin asked with a girlish giggle. It was a cold night, with many lights in the city twinkling. The two were in the balcony overlooking the amazing skyline view, each holding hot chocolate. Junhoe pointed at his wrist, where his watch was shining from the lights behind them in the penthouse.

    “It’s 11:11 PM. Just thought I would do you a favor and spend the last one of 2010 with you, especially because it’ll be your birthday soon.” If only someone could see how quickly her heart was beating in this moment. It was those rare moments of when Junhoe would outwardly show that he did care that made her love him more. Normally, he would whine at her efforts to force him into a wish during their now routinely text messages, or during their rare nights at noraebang or at the cafe.

    “Gomawo.” Can’t I be both his soulmate and the love of his life? I promise I would never hurt him, not intentionally or accidentally. Hyebin felt herself almost tear up from her wish. How much more selfish could she get? Junhoe was for Jisoo- anyone could see it from even their childhood pictures, their first year dates, and now that they were located in the same side of Gangnam, the almost daily updates on social media sites.

    “Anything for my best friend. Let’s get going back inside, because I promised Jisoo I wouldn’t take too long.” And just like that, as though they were two actors on a scene that was finished, the reality of the situation came crashing in. Junhoe seemed giddy at the thought of seeing Jisoo again, especially as he entered the penthouse once again, while Hyebin felt hesitant. She decided to stay outside for a little bit more. She did not feel the chilliness- the hot chocolate helped her battle it off. She did not feel as though she were in the mood to be in the company of others either. She just wanted to stay outside, where she could examine the stars shining above her in the cold night.

    “Gwenchana?” She didn’t even have to turn around to know it was Jinhyeong. She gave him a quick smile, before turning back to the night sky. Inside, anyone could tell that everyone was becoming more hyped as music go louder, and you could see the shadows of the members dancing.

    “Of course. How are you?” There was a small feeling of guilt when it came to Jinhyeong these days. He didn’t seem to have the easiest of times approaching her ever since the first week of school, but Hyebin tried to play it off as casually as possible. Not that it didn’t pain her to see him, someone she had treasured so much, become awkward. But because she knew it would only worsen if she acted as awkward as he had.

    “I’m doing well. It’s almost a new year. You know that saying, ‘New Year, new me.’” He had a look of serenity on his face, and it pleased Hyebin that he didn’t seem to be forcing it. It was comparable to how it had been prior to their date, which had only ended well when they acted as friends and not as a couple.

    “Are you happy?” A note of curiosity was in her voice, and he gave her a wry smile, as though the answer were right in front of her eyes.

    “Besides the initial heartbreak? It got better. I put more work into my business pitches, and I’m finally succeeding in my presentations at school. My singing and dancing got better too. I could be an entertainment company CEO at this rate. But yes, I am doing well.” There was a pause, and he let Hyebin digest his words. “I think I’ll move on. I really should,” he added with a chuckle. Hyebin looked down towards where the streets would be. The dark asphalt roads blended in with the blackness of the night, and a few cars would move by in no rush.

    “I hope you know I’m really sorry, but that I’m truly happy for you.” Hyebin meant it, and it was evident. Jinhyeong nodded, before glancing at her curiously. She already knew why kinds of questions he would ask her. It would be about Junhoe, no doubt.

    “How about you? Are you and Junhoe holding up?” Nailed it. She nodded slowly, thinking about that questions. She was fine, and even if she wasn’t she knew she would still say she was fine because there was no way she would burden Jinhyeong with any of her personal problems- it still felt too soon. However, she and Junhoe were holding up to an extent. “I think he spends more time with you than Jisoo these days. Don’t take a guy away from his girl.” Jinhyeong’s words were honest, but not unkindly said.

    “Jjincha?” It felt like a terrible surprise. How could that be, when she was sure that Jisoo and him spent their days together now that they were living within a walking distance of each other? It made no sense, especially when she saw all the updates of the pair on social media.

    “I mean he actually tries to hang out with you a lot. Don’t get your hopes up, he definitely spends a lot of time with Jisoo, and it’s all very loveydovey, but he takes time to notice you too.” Jinhyeong explained. A thoughtful silence once again fell upon the two, before Hyebin checked her watch. It was nearing her birthday, or rather, it was nearing New Years. 2011 was upon them in a matter of a few minutes.

    “Let’s stop being so serious and end this year with a good note. Happy New Years, Jinhyeonggie. I know you can find happiness, so don’t stay stuck in the present.” She gave him a hug, and she was worried for a moment he would reject it. He hesitated, before returning it.

    “Same for you, Hyebin-ah. Don’t stay an old maid by waiting for one guy, but don’t go around with every guy either. We’re still close friends, so if you need anything, don’t ever hesitate.” He opened the door for her, and she smiled, before entering the penthouse. The music seemed to have been lowered in volume considerably, and everyone was out of sight. She looked at her watch. Only a minute left- and she had no idea where everyone was. Jinhyeong entered the room with her, looking around.

    “Where is everyone?” Hyebin asked, following the source of music. It was one of her favorite songs, High High by GD & TOP, which was understandable as she was a huge VIP. Who was more perfect to her than Big Bang? She was always begging Yongguk for a chance to meet them, in which he would flick her forehead and give her the same one syllable answer: no.

    “Three. Two. One. Happy birthday and New Years!” As she entered the living room, the lights flickered on, and there was a huge banner that read, “Happy Birthday Hyebs!”. A table was set out with cake, and food, and all of their friends were crowded with their presents. Jinhyeong sent her a grin.

    “Did you even notice how loud the music was to cover up the sound of us setting up? Happy birthday!” They stood up, drowning her in a group hug. She never felt so loved in her life by friends, which was considerable because she did not really have a group of friends until high school.

    “I- Uh- Gomawo?” It came out as a question, causing laughter to follow her response. Junhoe came up to her, a large cardboard box in his arms. Little holes were poked into it, and while it was plain, she was ready for some surprise. There was no way Junhoe would let her down. And surprised she was; the box was set at her feet, and it began to move. Hyebin let out a yelp of surprise, before gently opening one flap to reveal a puppy. She recognized it as something similar to a poodle.

    “Like it? She’s four months old, a maltipoo mix, and she’s also yours. I thought she looked like you, so we all came together to get you her.” Hyebin bent down, reaching her hand out for the tiny dog. Her fur was in a wavy nature, and it was a reddish- brown. She was perfect in Hyebin’s eyes.

    “I love it! I always wanted a dog. Youjung, is she allowed?” Youjung rolled her eyes at Hyebin’s words, as though she could not believe what she had heard.

    “Oh please, you were mentioning you wanted a pet since day one. Besides, do you think I would give that babo the greenlight to get you a pet if it wasn’t even allowed? Of course she’s allowed!” Youjung exploded, before pointing at the pile of presents that everyone else had bought. “That is just the supplies to take care of that furball!” A soft grin lit Hyebin’s face.

    “Junhoe, did you really get me this puppy?” He shrugged it off, but everyone could tell he was pleased by the recognition.

    “Well, just to keep you company while I’m not there. I know the pet shop owner pretty well, and apparently the pup acts a lot like me, but looks like an angel. Not to say that I’m not hot stuff myself,” he winked. It earned a pillow thrown by Hanbin and Bobby, along with Jisoo playfully smacking her boyfriend.

    “Anyways, I don’t really know how to explain this, but I feel obligated to try anyways.” The sentence earned a few chuckles from everyone, and although Hyebin truly had no idea what this impromptu monologue was, she felt the urge to try. “Thank you guys so much. I was that unnoticed wall flower in middle school, but now I have a group like you guys. It’s definitely not peaceful, and Youjung and Hanbin, you two need to tone down your make out sessions in public, but I feel blessed to know you guys. When we turn old and wrinkly, we have to have a reunion. I think I’d be willing to give up anything in the future to see yall again. Let’s stay close, arraseo?” The group cheered at her words, and she blushed from being in the limelight. It wasn’t something she was used to doing, but she was okay with it in the moment. Everything seemed to be beginning to make sense in her life.

    “I hope you truly like that dog. It took me a long time to find her, because if the dog didn’t look like you, I wouldn’t get her.” Junhoe mentioned as she bent over to pick up the soft bundle of fur. The puppy looked tired from the excitement of the moment, and was squirming lightly in her arms.

    “Gomawo. You really know how to give a girl a swoon worthy gift,” Hyebin grinned, looking up. Jisoo was with Junhoe, his long arm wrapped around her shoulder securely. The two shared a smile, although Jisoo had a rather guarded look in her eyes, perhaps from how she was normally not used to staying out from her home so late at night. Jisoo’s family was, as far as Hyebin could tell, quite prim and conservative, especially with their reputation as one of the top department store chain owners.

    “Isn’t my Junhoe the sweetest? Not when he’s an arrogant little monkey, of course,” Jisoo said affectionately, and Junhoe sent her a warm smile, not even protesting to her words. Was he whipped or what? Hyebin flashed a smile, unable to verbally trust herself. She was almost a hundred percent sure she would unintentionally diss Jisoo. It got hard, and Hyebin was only human. There was only so much she could stand of jealousy, that familiar friend inside her stomach that seemed to scream at her in protest whenever Jisoo and Junhoe were together.

    Hyebin let herself drift around, thanking everyone for their gifts. Not once had Bomi ever left her arms, and the said puppy was soon fast asleep, while Hyebin was sitting on a sofa, too scared that a single movement would wake her up. Everyone was still mingling, although it was evident that the sun would probably begin to poke through the lightening sky within an hour. Jisoo sat beside her, looking tired from staying up.

    “I just wanted to thank you for helping Junhoe,” Jisoo said sincerely. There was an understanding between the two that Junhoe valued them both equally, although it was in opposite directions. One could readily agree that if a stranger saw Junhoe with Hyebin, they would assume the pair to be dating, but if the stranger saw Junhoe with Jisoo, they would know for fact that the boy was smitten.

    “It’s nothing. Junhoe is as important to me as he is to you, but in a different way of course,” Hyebin said with a light smile. She had long given up putting up a fight for the boy, especially because Jisoo was a lovely companion. She could not say that she was angered because without the two dating, she was quite certain she would have never befriended such a friendly and lovable girl.

    “I think we both know that’s not completely true, Hyebin-ah.” Hyebin felt her muscles tense at Jisoo’s words. While she was certain that Jisoo knew there was more to Hyebin about her dedication to Junhoe, she never expected her to say it aloud. The two had always kept it silent, always sending unsaid messages through their eyes about the fact that they both shared affection for the same boy. “I’m not mad, but I’m confused why you never made a move. I knew for a long time that you loved Junhoe."

    

--

AN: Two updates in two days? A gift because I finally had some time, and for not being the most active.

HELLO MY LOVELIES! That ending though- oh my I admit I don't know what I did that so suddenly. I think I was in a nostalgic mood. I had something like this in my own life, where my friend and I liked the same guy for a few years. And we both knew it internally, but I think it became so much different when we admitted it verbally. It's like a finality of confirming that the two of you have an issue, and that it's either you fight for a winner, or you let it go peacefully. And honestly, there's a medium. I won't say what happened to me personally, because this is about the story. I really wanted to have Junhoe show a little more about himself, and I hope you guys caught it. He wanted to let Hyebin know that while he isn't there for her physically anymore because he moved, that Bomi the puppy is there because the dog acts up like him, as in loves attention. As for Jisoo, I think it's obvious Hyebin has something going for Junhoe, and any girl friend should be attentive enough to pick up when a close friend has the hots for her boy. I want to thank you for all the comments, and please please PLEASE upvote! I really want this fan fiction to become more popular and give our boys, iKON, some recognition before their debut! :) Stay tuned for more of this, and love you all!