Eighteen

11:11

The warmth of June made Hyebin feel rejuvenized. There was little balance between school work and fun; she had no time to do anything, and spent more time than ever before in studies. This was about it; it was one of her last years of stressful nights and watching the sunrise from not sleeping. She was going to miss it, but at this point there was little time to be sentimental about how fast time was slipping by. Whether it be her strongest subjects, like Literature or Psychology, or it be the worst like Physics and Mathematics, there were endless supply of other demands to be met. Her moments walking Bomi, who was now a rather boisterous youthful bundle of fur, were like a sanction and what kept her sane.

    “Bomi-ah, don’t make me carry you in this heat,” Hyebin pleaded the tiny dog, who was sitting in one spot on the sidewalk, her rump planted and unmoving from the heated concrete. Other pedestrians were casting amused or adoring looks at the pair, finding not only Bomi’s stubborn nature cute, but also the way that no matter what, Hyebin had no will to force the tiny dog. You could call it spoiling at its finest, as she had a soft spot for the dog and could not bare herself to exert any force on the dog other than potty training and the basics of sit, stay, and so forth. While typically Bomi was an obedient pooch, there were these moments when she would absolutely ignore Hyebin's callings. And for this, she was reminded of Junhoe, who used to be just like this stubborn and sassy dog.

    “That’s it,” she muttered, before scooping the tiny dog in her arms. She walked towards the cafe, which was only down the street, before asking Granny for a cup of water for Bomi. Then she set off on her way back home, where she knew her weekend day would be marred with the workload. She had become almost OCD with this lifestyle; a single blemish in her grades drove her over the edge, and that would ruin her mood drastically. Her mood swings these days were severe, but it was only seen by her friends. She walked into the apartment, and gently let Bomi onto the wooden floor. The dog's scampering paw steps were heard as the tiny bundle of energy dashed off for the kitchen, where bowl of more water and her toys were scattered about.

    “Oh you’re back.” Youjung’s lifelessly dull voice called from her own room. Youjung was filled with just as many advanced classes as she had, and it was quite a drag for everyone. Meanwhile her boyfriend Hanbin was struggling between all the advanced level classes thrown at him, as well as the dancing and such that the boys never gave up. A music major, he had one mused aloud. Youjung supported him despite knowing it was not likely to happen with his family’s expectations of him. Still, he hung on just as much as Junhoe had, and the two talked endlessly about working at renown companies like YG or Cube.

    “I am.” She said simply, before heading to her room for more studying. “Oh right, Soorim asked about a time for shopping.” Youjung perked up a little at the words, or Hyebin could imagine her doing so. It was their third year, which was very much filled with studies, but filled with events as well; the first of which was an exclusively third year only dance. It was semi formal, but it was something that the girls in the grade fussed over, while the guys found themselves imagining what their way to ask a date. There were already many extravegant and cleverly planned out proposals, such as Hanbin's well organized and thought out dance and song for Yoojung, but Hyebin had yet to be asked. While it was still a month or two off, Hyebin, Youjung and Soorim were absolutely done with just studying, and they made it a thing to take a day every week or so to go out and peruse through clothing boutiques for dresses.

    “Oh. I’ll figure it out,” Youjung shouted from her room. Hyebin felt herself relax into the seat at her desk. It was facing the wall of pictures, and the one staring down at her was none other than the poster of her and Junhoe, their faces crinkled into innocent smiles and laughters of the yesteryears, before life got so excruciatingly tiring with work. It was to the point where she sometimes wondered what his voice sounded like, despite hearing it so many times.

    “Junhoe, this is hard, isn’t it?” Hyebin said aloud, peering up at his face. The quality was rather clear, and she could see him as if he were there. Except that was the problem; he was not there. “Why can’t things just be so easy for us?” Her mind drifted as she pulled out the heavy textbooks from her battered backpack.

    “Promise me you won’t ever leave my side?” Junhoe had asked her a few days back. He was still an emotional wreck; he tried to hide it and it was obvious that he was not able to do so. She was rather taken aback by his request, but nodded nonetheless. There was nothing else she could quite imagine to do if she was not there with him; the world only seemed to spin correctly when he was there. She was definitely relient on him, almost like an addiction.

    “Of course. Why would you even question it?” She asked in an offended tone. Perhaps Jisoo caused more scars and hauntings than intended; she had recently got in touch with the girl. Jisoo had explained her whole side through video chat, almost a long rant or monologue.

    I really do love June- how could I not? He was always there for me, even when I was dating someone else, or when I had broken up. He never left me alone, and he made it like I would die without him. But maybe a part of me did die without him. I don’t regret breaking up with him. Hyebin- ah, but you need to make sure that he realizes he needs you more than me so he stops hurting faster. I promised I would never leave his side when he needed me, and the longer he thinks he needs me, the more I’d be breaking my promise unintentionally.’ And for these words, filled with tears and paused with sobs or hiccups, Hyebin never felt more entitled and indebted to someone. She felt unworthy of this, and she did not know how to face Junhoe.

    “Because Jisoo made that promise too,” he said absentmindedly, flicking a pencil into a perfect twirl between his fingers. It was a frequent habit of his that he did normally during tests or the rare accounts of doing homework, or when he spaced out like now. Hyebin felt her heart sink deeper, remembering the girl’s words. I promised I would never leave his side when he needed me, and the longer he thinks he needs me, the more I’d be breaking my promise unintentionally. If only he knew an ounce of what Jisoo had said,

    “You deserve some closure,” Hyebin said quietly, before looking out the window. “Jisoo may not be here, but I am. I’m not a girlfriend, or a crush, or anything like that to you. But I’m your best friend and soul mate, aren’t I?” Junhoe nodded, still flicking the pencil about in an absentminded way.

    “What would I do without you?” It was a rhetorical question, but Hyebin truly did consider it. From the first day they met, when he had rudely pushed by her in the airport at Jeju Island, she had some connection to him, despite it being quite negative at the time. Then came their friendship through a water bottle, when he had offered to buy her one to compensate for the one he had taken. The first of their Autumn dances, this year making the third, where they were dates but not quite. She recalled the time she had seen him and Jisoo for the first time, how upset she was and how it seemed so cruel to see the pair. The way she felt when he had officially began dating her, despite their numerous dates prior to that. She remembered how heartbroken she felt on her birthday, how disappointed she was throughout the transitional break between one school year to the next. The day she had went to the carnival, the wishes and promises and happiness. The rest became a blur of escaping reality from her unrequited love, and then the stress of tests.

    “It would probably be different if I weren’t here. I might have made it a lot worse too,” Hyebin said in a regretful tone. He shook his head, and maybe that’s when she realized it like a slap to the cheek, the stinging bite of reality all too familiar. He was no longer quite the youthful and joyous brat she had first met. He looked much more mature; his height was increased, his handsomeness increasing, and now there was the finality of a somber look to his gaze. “Junhoe, you’re old!” She exclaimed. He was taken aback, but was amused as he recovered rather quickly.

    “Am I now? I still remember one of those first things you said to me. Something about me being older, so I would die faster.” He closed his eyes, his dark lashes framing them delicately. He truly did look tired now, as this expression somehow enhanced his eyebags. “Maybe that would be a little more favorable. Life is tiring.”

    “Don’t you dare say that.” He opened his eyes, peering at her with curiosity. Her tone had changed rather dangerously, as if warning a rebellious child to stay away from mischief. “You never play with the idea of death. Promise me.” He nodded, his eyelids fluttering with sleepiness, and before she knew it, he was sleeping with his head down on the cafe table. She had left him there for a bit, perhaps an hour or so, before finally reawakening him and telling him gently to go home, as his parents were waiting. He left reluctantly, and she had too.

    And it was that promise that seemed to make her ditch dress shopping on this day, because of one short phone call. Because he needed her as much as she needed him, and that meant a lot. Because he was there for her when she needed it, and she should be there when he needs it. Because that day was the day of confirmation; the day he knew he could not pursue music so freely. Because that day, his father had a horrible heart attack, and was pronounced dead by the time the ambulance could reach him to the hospital.

    She found him curled up in the comfortable seat of the cafe, the same spot from a few days ago. His eyes were puffy and red, but he was not crying anymore. He was simple there, in person but not in mind or soul. She sat down across from him, careful as if to not scare a bunny away.

    “Hey Junhoe. I’m so sorry, but you don’t really need to hear that, do you?” He raised his gaze to her, his eyes filled with a mixture of confusion, anger, and sadness. Confusion at how sudden this all happened, that he could not intervene if he even wanted to. Anger that he was not able to do so, and that his dream to be a musician was now shattered into unmendable pieces because of the fact that he was the heir to the company, and that he was needed more than ever to step up to it. And sadness, because he was never able to truly make his father proud. Hyebin never said it aloud, but she knew he acted up the way he did in school because he wanted- no craved- the attention of his all- too- busy father.

    “I don’t. But thank you anyways.” He sighed, a ragged sound from his breathing, and lowered his gaze once more. He looked caged in, as if he were given freedom but let it slip loose from his fingertips. A moment passed, before he sighed again. “I’m not as sad as someone should be. That makes me quite a sinner, but I didn’t feel very attached. I’m just trapped.” There was nothing Hyebin could quite say. She had run out of the apartment wearing her most comfortable of tanktops and shorts, and she was a mess visually. Youjung had been shocked when she saw the girl fly out of her room and through the doors to the cafe. But now that she was here, it was a different story.

    “You need music, and music can need you too,” Hyebin said vaguely. “Maybe you aren’t going to be a musician for a main career, but take on a so called pseudo name, or some pen name, and you can probably still do it. Just don’t get caught.” He smiled slightly at her words, shaking his head slowly. If she thought he looked mature a few days ago, it was nothing to now. Almost a man of age seventeen. He was almost ready to just dominate the world with everything it offered at his grasp, but only a strand of a hair too short.

    “This is why I love you. Because you’re a friend who knows what to say at the right time. You’ll go far in life,” he said with an appreciating tone, before his eyes returned to their glassy look before. She felt something in her warm up; he loved her, but it was as platonic as ever.

    “And you’re the crazy one who makes me realize there’s more to the world then just studying and working hard. There’s so much more,” she said. There was love, there were friends, there were memories yet to be made and dreams yet to come true. And their 11:11 wishes, which had started as a joke all those years back that still held on as a tradition for the two. She would miss making them with him when they were “too old”, but she secretly clung onto the belief that even then, they would continue to do this.

    “Did I?” He sounded a little more relieved, possibly from the comfort of knowing something was going right for him. She nodded, trying to put him more at ease. “You need to really help me this year. I have to do better so I can take care of the company, and then I  can get to a college worthy of my position.” A feeling of distaste seemed to come over him, and his expression became soured.

    “You really want to?” She was shocked at the least: the grade’s number one slacker was asking her to help turn him into an immaculate and perfect boy; not that he was not already like that. She nodded slowly, knowing that she could not say no to him. He smiled a bit once more, a look of peace on his face as he tilted his head back, resting it against the chair.

    “I never got to say bye, but I’m going to make my dad proud no matter what.”

--

HELLO MY LOVELIES. I AM SO SORRY FOR MY LACK OF UPDATES OMG

I've been dying with workload, and also writer's block. I wasn't sure how to describe and add onto the relationship without some other happening occur, so this just became the output of that. I hope you guys really did enjoy the chapter- I incorporated more of what Jisoo's thoughts and feelings were at your requests in the comments, as well as Hyebin being a little more individual as she recognizes she needs success outside of just her relationship with Junhoe. They're at an age to consider their futures more as well, although we are aware that 1.) Hyebin is definitely working for a good college, and 2.) Junhoe is already given a set future within the business world with inheriting the role and power of a hotel chain. Please leave more comments, and upvote and subscribe! Love you all so much and thank you for your patience! <3