Twenty Five

11:11

"You mailed it in already?” Soorim looked up from her magazine to peer at Hyebin with a questioning look. Hyebin nodded meekly, unable to understand why it was such a big deal. She was certain of her university choice, and she could see that there would be a lot of studying ahead- a top school would require only the most intellectual of students. And that was where she saw herself.

    “I need to stop hesitating about my future and get over my fear of failing. The most prestigious of schools even took me in- how could I not feel the need to challenge myself like this?” Hyebin retorted softly, before looking at where Youjung was in a small dressing room. Here the trio was, once again, trying on formal and long gowns. The final year, after college acceptances, was always fun. There were parties, there were little worries, and there was the finale of a winter dance before the graduation trip and graduation itself. This year it happened to be a masquerade theme, and Youjung was oblivious to anything but trying to find the best dress.

    “I plan to get the crown for Winter Queen,” Youjung had announced earlier in the day. There was still a good two months until the dance, but of course she had it her way. Soorim agreed with mild interest that it was better to just start the hunt for an appropriate dress early, although Hyebin could tell she was dying internally to look nice for Jinhyeong. Then there was Junhoe, who was probably unable to tell the difference between a trash bag and a designer dress in the dimly lit venues that dances were mainly kept in. Not that it bothered Hyebin, who

    “There’s the future Winter Queen.” Youjung popped her head out, before fully revealing her dress choice. She had brought into the changing room at least five different dresses, but she seemed to know that she was going for a bold red color. Hyebin herself was thinking along the lines of a midnight blue, while Soorim was going for a coral color. Of course the only one to find so many dresses was Youjung.

    “I think this makes me look like I gained weight.” Youjung whined as she looked at the trifold mirror. Her nose was scrunched in distaste. She changed the angles to suit her position better, spinning around and craning her neck to catch a glimpse of every view possible.

    “You look fine, gosh. We didn’t even look at the dresses here because we had to carry yours in.” Soorim grumbled, putting the magazine down. It was one from Sherri Hill, showing off all the newest styles freshly in for the year of 2012 and 2013. They were all very pricey, especially in an Asian country like Korea, but the girls were quite willing to spend a hefty amount. Even Hyebin could- her mother was so proud of Hyebin’s hard work paying off, and their relationship was slowly repairing back to the fond bickering that existed years ago, while Yongguk got Epik High to send a congratulations video from YG, making Hyebin shriek when she saw Tablo, DJ Tukutz and Mithra enter the screen.

    “Okay, go look then! I can always ask the workers here for help, right?” Youjung pouted, and Soorim stood up, grabbing Hyebin’s wrist and dragging her out the door.

    “Be careful! My bracelet could get messed up,” Hyebin yanked her hand back, covering her wrist protectively. There was a leather braided band around it, with a musical note engraved. Junhoe had a matching one with a stethoscope, representing Hyebin and his own desires.

    “Of course. To think you two are-” Soorim began, causing Hyebin to stomp away childishly, refusing to hear the rest of Soorim’s lecture. Soorim always seemed to about Junhoe, and it was only fair after she had done so about Jinhyeong previously.

    “Hello, would you like any help?” An employee asked, a professional smile on her pretty face. Hyebin returned the smile politely, before asking for the floor length gowns in a dark blue shade. There were many with different designs, and the more suggestions she received, the more Hyebin seemed to be flabberghasted. Some showed too much skin for her to be comfortable, and others were a little too low cut. Some were much too flashy, and there were those that were too long for Hyebin’s height. At the end, only a select few seemed to fit Hyebin’s style, but the selections made were more than enough.

    “Thank you,” Hyebin said as she was lead back to the changing room where Youjung was finishing up. She seemed to be unsatisfied, and was handing back all the dresses on a rack to the employee who had helped her.

    “I’ll just check on you and Soorim. After all, you two refused to show your dates what your dresses are going to look like,” Youjung said, and Hyebin tried to not protest. She did not officially even have a date, as Junhoe had yet to ask her, although it was more of an obvious thing that the two would be together that night. She had only pointed the shade of a color she would probably look for, and he said he would find a tie of that color.

    “We still have two months. That’s more than enough time to find this stuff. Why are we doing this now?” Hyebin grumbled, making sure that Youjung could hear her voice.     

    “Because we have nothing to do in school now!” Youjung screamed from outside of the dressing room, and Hyebin rolled her eyes despite knowing the other girl could not see her exaggerated expressions. She tried the first dress, and looked at the mirror thoughtfully. It was nice and flowy, but a little more puffy at the skirt than she had intended for it to appear. She was not the type to like such a tutu shaped dress anyways. She changed into another hastily, knowing not to even show the others. She could hear Soorim in a different changing room, chatting to Youjung through the door about how there were too many coral dresses and too many shoes to go through.

    “Does this one look okay?” Hyebin stepped out. It was the second of three dresses, although the last one seemed a little too feminine with the sweetheart cut out. This was still strapless, but not a sweetheart cut, and had small crystals decorating the top while the skirt was flowing down in midnight blue layers. It suited Hyebin, and she was pleased in the mirror.

    “I think you found the perfect dress,” Youjung grinned. “And that is so lucky for a girl who hates going from store to store for a dress.” Hyebin smiled back at her while Soorim popped out wearing a vibrantly colored dress. It was quite flattering on Soorim, but it was not what Hyebin would have imagined for Soorim. Clearly Soorim thought the same because her expression was uncertain, while Youjung seemed to analyze the dress.

    “It’s pretty, but not for you.” She deadpanned, and Soorim nodded, before looking at Hyebin, who was still standing there in her dress.

    “I think Hyebin’s is spot on.” Soorim ducked back in to check another dress, while Hyebin did the same but to change into her normal clothes. The employee took the dress to wrap up, and Hyebin followed to empty out her wallet on it. For a elegant piece of cloth with some crystals, it was quite a hefty price.

    “I have to go now,” Hyebin said apologetically to her friends. “Junhoe and I are meeting up for an early dinner at the new restaurant at this mall.” The two wouldn’t let her go without a flow of teasing comments, but agreed to take her dress to their home before Hyebin left with a small spring in her steps. The restaurant was only a few steps away from the fancy department store Soorim had suggested to go into earlier.

    “Hello, how may I help you?” A waitress asked with the utmost of manners, and Hyebin smiled warmly at the young woman. She looked like she was headstrong and independent, living a life of being self efficient and letting no one be the boss of her. It was exactly what Hyebin had envisioned herself to be in the near future.

    “I’m reserved for a table for two? Under the Name Koo Junhoe.” The woman lead her away, and soon a booth for two appeared. It was a nice eatery, not particularly fancy or expensive, but more directed towards the younger audience with delicious foods. Although it was new, it was filled up and Hyebin could see most of the customers seemed to like the restaurant.

    “Hey shorty.” A smile filled her face as she sat down across the owner of the voice. He looked at the time, which was almost 11:05 am. He knew Hyebin preferred earlier meals, and he was willing to adjust to her habits.

    “Hey.” There was a hushed silence, and it enveloped their table for a moment. He was staring at her face, as if he were deep in thought, and she was trying to not turn pink from his attentive nature.

    “I ordered already. I hope that’s okay. I just took a guess at what you liked,” Junhoe finally said, leaning back in his chair. He was relaxed, and it reminded her of the endless years of high school, where he would lay back in his chair and make it obvious he did not give a crap about the lessons for a good majority of their classes.

    “I trust you to know this by now, seeing as in this type of an eatery I only order two things.” He laughed at her biting remark, before separating his wooden chopsticks. They split oddly, and he looked displeased with the uneven ends. He grabbed Hyebin’s pair next against her will, and she watched as he tried again. It snapped evenly this time, and he replaced her hair with his own.

    “Hey! Why would you take my pair away from me?” He grinned broadly at her, before tapping his watch. It was a gift from his mother for being able to make it through the rest of high school with rather amazing marks, and for his acceptance to SNU. Hyebin mainly thought of it as an apologetic way to try to remind him he was forced to be a businessman in the near future.

    “Time to make our wish.” He chided, and she rolled her eyes but complied willingly. They spent almost every day with some wish, and hers revolved around the same things: happiness, love, and success. Today was no different; for her to be able to have no regrets and live happily.

    “Your order has arrived. One cheese ddukbokki, kimbap roll and ddonkatsu.” The table was filled with plates that were too large, and Hyebin eyed Junhoe suspiciously.

    “You asked Soorim what my favorite foods were, didn’t you? If not her, then Jinhyeong.” He shrugged, but his smile gave the answer away.

    “I tried. And for the future, you should be ashamed that another guy knows you more than I do.” He said it coolly, but Hyebin stifled her smile with a piece of kimbap as she realized he was jealous. The great and laidback Koo Junhoe was jealous of his best friend, and he was like this because of a girl? The whole media must report this- it was practically unheard of!

    “I think you should say that to a mirror. You let Jinhyeong be my best friend,” she shot back, enjoying his barely controlled expressions. He tried to not get peeved, but it was obvious, especially when he crammed his mouth with food to prevent himself from arguing back.

    “You better get ready. In college, I’m going to make sure you and Jinhyeong can’t call each other. I’ll walk you from class to class if I have to.” She giggled at his remark, and felt a pang of loss for a moment. This was ending- their years of high school were gone. She would be in college, an adult soon. There was no longer any slack for being young and inexperienced- if she could not adapt, then it would just be harder on her.    

    “You’re going to be busy with your own plan. How do you plan to break it to your mom?” She retorted softly. Junhoe scrunched his face slightly at the thought. He was planning to double major in music and business, and he would be allowed to compose and make his own choreographies, but would be a full time businessman for the family company. While right now it was under the supervision of his older cousin, they were all aware it could not stay this way. He also had no will to cast away his father’s dream of a successful business for his own desires to compose and he was more than ready to try for this future, no matter the work load.

    “I’ll explain it to her after I make my own songs and send it in to YG. If not YG, then can’t Cube take me?” She tried to not roll her eyes at him. He seemed worried that Yongguk would not allow him to work under him as almost an intern, but it was obvious Yongguk seemed pleased with his work.

    “I’ll be too busy with my own schooling to baby you now, you know that right?” She poked at her food with the chopsticks, thinking about her plan. To be in medical school, she needed to go through a lot of schooling with the highest of grades, but she was sure she wanted to do this. Dermatology? That was the most fascinating thing to her. Yes, she loved writing, and maybe in the future someday she would go back to school for a bit to pursue a bit of writing, but for now medicine seemed to be what she wanted the most.

    “You never babied me.” It was a lie, and it caused the pair to laugh it off, with others in the restaurant to look at the couple curiously. As they calmed back down, he sent her a heart melting smile, one that sent her stomach into a frenzy of butterflies.

    “I hope you know that I wish this would never end.”

--

This is coming to an end T-T

Hello my lovelies! I decided to pick up my game with writing again, so here's another update. I'm going to be charging ahead because a lot of you were interested in how the ending will turn out, although I think I'm revealing Junhoe and Hyebin's majors and hinting at their choices. Hyebin mentioned to Junhoe a long time back to take on a pen name or something for composing (when his father died) and he thought it was plausible idea at the time. As for her, she recognized that their high school years in a medically related coursework seemed to influence her and she's deciding on a future with a lot... of... freaking... school. The two seem pretty happy and cozy together, but as you read the foreword, there is a little distance that can happen... until next time (which is going to be VERY soon) please do leave your comments, subscribe, and upvote and thank you once more for the love! <3