Twenty Four

11:11

A year. A whole year. Their final year at school was coming up, and they were busied with their new burdens as the oldest in the school. College applications were coming on fast, and tempers were becoming short and snappy. Youjung and Hanbin even went on break to figure out their colleges, although anyone could see their lovesick glances when they found the time to hang out. Jinhyeong and Soorim did not even give up their relationship- they were practically applying to the same universities for the chance to spend a future together. The boys were in it for the widest range of universities- Donghyuk was studious and clever, aiming for the top of the top, while Bobby was applying internationally for US schools as well. Hanbin was going for the arts schools, and Yunhyeong and Jinhwan found themselves applying everywhere they thought they could get in.

    Then there was Junhoe, who was basically knowing he had to go to Seoul National University, and if not there then Yonsei. His grades improved a lot in the course of their four years, but he was stressed out. He was grateful for a helping hand who was able to cheer him up daily, from morning to evening. Yes, Hyebin was always there for him from the start of their four years together. As they gathered on the green lawns of the school that was a home to them all for four years, she felt herself smile at the memories.

    In year one, she was lost. She did not know what it was to be social, and she only knew what it was to succeed in academics. She worked her off, and she saw little results. And she was pushed to fall in love with the biggest jerk she could have ever laid her eyes on- Junhoe. And she did fall. She fell hard. He was her first love, and he was one of her bestest friends, and he had no idea that every day he spent with Jisoo was another death for her soul.  

    In year two, she was still a child. She made her wishes, she struggled with Jinhyeong’s misplaced affections, and she wanted a break from her ever breaking heart. She wanted to reset her grades that she messed up, and the struggle to even achieve her mother’s expectations was an overbearing pain on her shoulders. She did not know what it was like to be free and sleep in because she always had more to learn and more to study.

    In the past year of school, she was stressed. She had Junhoe as a date to the dance, which was one of her favorite days of her life. But it was not first; because he confessed on a different day. It was the day on the balcony. And she had graciously accepted with tears in her tired eyes, and the most beautiful smile she ever had. And that smile came to her everyday.

    And here two were, her head on his shoulder, and his arm draped around her shoulders. They were listening to the conversations, but unusually quiet. Today was a big day; acceptances were coming in, and the two did not know what to expect. Would they go to college together and be able to finally be official? Despite admitting their affections, Hyebin refused to be in a relationship. What if they did not go to college together? What if he was mistaking his emotions for her in the spurt of a moment? She would turn down every romantic advance he made to evolve into girlfriend and boyfriend, but the pair acted like they were dating every moment they were awake.

    “We get our results from the US today too!” Bobby shouted in rage. He was ranting on and on to Jinhwan and Hanbin, while Yunhyeong and Donghyuk were too nervous to say a word. Jinhyeong and Soorim were off on an after school date, while Youjung was too sick from her nerves to come to school, leaving Hanbin worried to the bone. Bobby was a good distraction.

    “Hyung, you’re going to leave us for college in the states? This squad is going to be incomplete!” Donghyuk said, and Bobby nudged the younger male’s shoulder.

    “I won’t let you be stuck with these morons. Don’t worry, send me a holler and I’ll come flying here with my awesomeness.” He got a smack from Jinhwan, earning a soft chuckle from Hyebin. She was never more content in her last year until this day, which was a surprise because the result of three years of work was on this single day. In an hour or so she would figure out her future, along with her relationship status.

    “That is so sweet I think I will barf,” Yunhyeong averted his gaze from Junhoe and Hyebin, earning two tongues to be stuck out at him. They boys complained about being single to Hanbin, Junhoe and Jinhyeong almost daily, but the trio never failed to make them feel more single whenever the girls were around.    

    “I hope Youjung is okay,” Hanbin sighed, looking at the blade of grass he had plucked out. Bobby pretended to make a gagging sound, as if trying to throw up, and Hanbing childishly tackled his friend, causing the two to roll away in a wrestling match. Hyebin shifted her head slightly, looking at Junhoe. He was definitely the most handsome of the boys.

    “Are you okay? Why are you so quiet?” She asked, and he gave her a warm smile. The day on the balcony was still the most heated conversation she had ever been a part of to this day. Not that she minded, as it lead to this wonderful moment.

    “Just wondering what to name our future child.” He replied, earning Hyebin to scoot away from him and punch his bicep. He laughed at her immature reaction, before getting up, dusting off his knees. A cool breeze was coming in, and he knew it was better to send her home.

    “Time to go home, shorty.” He helped her get up, and the two bid farewell to their friends, who were wolf whistling and causing further embarrassment. Junhoe carried both of their bags, and while neither were heavy, Hyebin felt undeniably guilty. “I am not letting my shorty hold a bag. You’ll get smaller from the weight on your spine.” He skillfully dodged the predictable kick to his shin, making a tsk sound. “I know you too well for that.”

    As they arrived at her apartment, she looked at him, worried. As soon as she went upstairs, and he to the dorm (he finally moved back in with the boys after a long talk with his mother about how it was less stressful for him), it would be time to face her future. Her future would be decided on a few paper envelopes, and the choice of what college, assuming she got accepted into more than one.

    When she arrived in the apartment, Youjung was waiting. There was a stack of paper envelopes neatly arranged in front of her, and another in the empty sofa across the coffee table. Hyebin knew what it was. She sat down, and the two girls stared at each other, their eyes full of fear and desperation. There was too much to lose, but so much to gain as well. If the cards were played well, then Hyebin would be successful in executing her plan.

    “How was it today?” Youjung gave a feeble smile, and Hyebin felt at peace in the fleeting moment of remembering Junhoe. He was truly a sweet guy, and there was no doubt that she was growing to rely on seeing his face everyday for it to feel right.

    “It was good. Hanbin oppa was worried about you.” Youjung gave a weary sigh as she glanced at the stack of envelopes. Her hand reached for the first, and so did Hyebin’s. It was for Yonsei University, Hyebin was a fan of Yonsei while Junhoe seemed to prefer SNU. It was a troubling thought if they were to be separated for that but it was obvious neither would be childish enough to put their future in the hands of a romantic relationship that they had lasted almost four years without.

    “Three… Two… One.” The rips seemed to be the only sound, and there was a rustle as the two girls fumbled with the paper. Hyebin’s normally nimble fingers felt awkward as she rushed to open the tri folded paper. She scanned the letter, and Youjung read her own from SNU.

    “I… I got in.” Youjung whispered, her eyes rounded in surprise. Youjung had won so many math competitions that it was no surprise that she was accepted, especially with a track to major in mathematics. The school found it charming that their social queen was a genius, refreshing from the typical bubblehead.

    “I didn’t.” Disappointment was thick in Hyebin’s voice as she read that she was waitlisted. Yonsei had a strong student pool, the letter explained briefly. It hurt her confidence, and she let out a shaky sigh as Youjung leaned over to give a quick hug of comfort.

    “It’s fine. They’re being stupid to not accept a girl like you.” She said with a firm voice, before handing Hyebin the envelope for SNU. “I bet SNU will take you and make Yonsei regret it.” Hyebin ripped it open carelessly, scanning the letter with a sharp glint in her dark eyes.

    “Wow. They actually did take me in. Stupid Yonsei,” Hyebin growled uncharacteristically mean, obviously cross with how the application pool had turned out. There were still four more letters, but all from colleges in the States that she found timeworthy to apply for. Youjung had a few more to open, but there was more ease in the pair as they were already accepted.

    “I got into SNU, and that US school you thought I would like, MIT. Except I prefer SNU.” Youjung said as she rolled over on the sofa. Hyebin knew it was because of a certain boy who was probably tearing through his own papers to see if he could arrange something feasible between him and Youjung for the future.

    “I think I’m pretty solid too. I have SNU, Korea University, but I have Amherst College, and UC Berkeley. I guess they needed more international students,” Hyebin said thoughtfully. Youjung gave her a sly smile, as if to suggest something. Hyebin gave her a glance, asking what it was about.

    “I think we know a certain lovestruck girl is going to stick around in Korea for a boy with thick eyebrows.” Hyebin rolled her eyes, but a small smile erupted on her face at the thought. Could she really be able to truly allow herself to be dependent and share her burden with Junhoe, as well as accepting his own burdens? The thought of being in a real relationship made her giddy.

    “Is this girl you?” Hyebin shot back instead, taking her cell phone to fire a quick message to Junhoe. The boys were slowly sending around their college destinations over their group message; Soorim was in Korea University for art, which was a successful feat for a girl who did not care for grades at all. Jinhyeong would be at Yonsei, and the two were devastated at the separation but everyone could tell they would most likely persevere. Donghyuk too was at Yonsei, making Hyebin go a little insane at their acceptances. Yunhyeong was heading to Korea University for business with Jinhwan, while Hanbin was not yet revealing, but from the stupidly blissful smile on Youjung’s face, one could imagine they would have a future together. And then there was Junhoe.

    “I’ll get the door,” Youjung rolled off the couch, as she was closer to the door, while Hyebin stared at the colleges. She was quite fluent at English- there was an obvious accent, but she was easily understood and she did quite love UC Berkeley’s campus. Amherst made her happy, but she was not sure from the flight length on plane.

    “Where’d my girl get into?” Hyebin looked up to see a grinning Junhoe and Hanbin. Hanbin and Youjung left for the kitchen for their own privacy to talk over snacks, while Junhoe plopped himself besides Hyebin. The seat was not that big, but the pair did not mind how they were discretely forced to be together.

    “SNU. Korea University. Not Yonsei though,” she was disappointed, especially because she had looked into Yonsei the most. Everyone knew it, especially the girls and Junhoe. He ruffled her hair, before playing with a few strands.

    “We have SNU together,” he said thoughtfully, as it confirming that they were indeed entering another four years of schooling together. “We have a very bright relationship to kindle too, don’t we?” Hyebin blushed at the thought. Four years. Four years, and she was still a shy and dysfunctional girl around this fool.

    “Don’t you think we can’t focus on school? You need to learn business, and I need to get into medical school,” Hyebin fretted, earning her a gentle flick on the forehead. Junhoe’s eyes were shaped into crescents as he sent her a boyish smile.

    “We can deal. You’re my future doctor, Dr. Koo.” Hyebin frowned at the name, although inwardly she was giddy at the thought of even marrying him.

    “Dr. Koo? Excuse me, you said you didn’t want to be a doctor. I’m Dr. Kim,” she said, acting oblivious to his actual meaning. He rolled his eyes, enjoying that she did not challenge his preposition to maintaining a relationship. He tugged her closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder and let out a content sigh.

    “I waited a really long time for something like this. I think it’s safe to say that you make me feel really different than anyone else ever has. In the best way possible, of course.” He quickly added, and a smile quirked up. A chuckle interrupted the two, and they looked up to see a smirking Youjung and Hanbin.

“Did the couple finally get together? This was years overdue. You guys were matched up in the beginning of our high school career,” Youjung teased, tossing a peach to Hyebin. She passed it to Junhoe, before catching a nectarine this time- Hyebin was more of a fan of nectarines over peaches, while Junhoe could not distinguish the two.

“The world may never know,” Junhoe retorted, biting into the fruit. He let out a low hum of appreciation, before looking through the letters. His eyes widened at the letters for UC Berkeley and Amherst College, a proud glint in his eyes.

“That’s my girl! Getting into great colleges in the States. Maybe not the best, but you deserve it. Too bad they lost you to SNU with your favorite person in the world,” Junhoe said fondly, causing Hyebin to smile a bit more. She allowed herself to enjoy this moment with him because it took too long to get here, and it could take only a second to destroy it all. She knew that better than anyone else.

“So how much did it take you to bribe SNU for your acceptance?” She asked him, and he played along with her words, acting like it actually happened. Not that she doubted there was some influential factors of money- every college needs donations and fundings, so why not take the ones who have it?

“Enough to buy our future house,” he said, and shen leaned her head on his shoulders. Maybe wishes have a chance to be.

--

AN: Hello my lovelies!! I finally did update once again! And I know there was something like a time skip, but I feel like it'll make sense because their year together was relatively peaceful after that night. And here we are, nearing the end. They got into their colleges, and Junhoe and Hyebin have a chance to be together, and so do our favorite Hanbin and Youjung. And Junhoe is pretty into Hyebin, which you can tell from their banter. And she's growing more and more in like with him, and shes relying on him now too. I'm not good with fluffy stuff so try to understand hehe. Please subscribe and upvote and leave comments because I love reading your opinions!