Thirteen

11:11

“Come on, Bomi. Let’s go girl.” The puppy was having the time of her life giving Hyebin a headache. They were going out for a walk, something that Hyebin didn’t even mind despite the cold winter weather. However, she did mind that the dog was indeed like Junhoe. Stubborn, that was the exact trait. She was sitting on the sidewalk, refusing to move, and Hyebin did not want to exert forceful teaching on the puppy. She had learned that it was not right to hit in order to instill a lesson, so she tried raising her voice, but the puppy would still not move. It had been a good five minutes or so, and the pedestrians were giving her an amused look, while Hyebin was staring at the dog in disbelief. Bomi- 1, Hyebin- 0.

    Finally, she sighed, picking up the puppy in her arms and making her way back for the apartment. Youjung’s sister was overjoyed at the sight of the puppy, but had been clear that if there was any damage or mess, it was Hyebin’s responsibility. Hyebin agreed, knowing she had to step up and take care of the dog. However, today was a little bit of a busy day, and Hyebin had no time to wait for her puppy to move from the seated position. As she dropped by the apartment, letting Bomi scamper off into some room, Hyebin ran to her room, changing her clothes into something a little nicer. It was not extravagant, but she still found herself in a nice sweater over her skinny jeans. Today was a big day.

    “I’m going out. Be back later.” The shout was for no one in particular, but she said it in case anyone was home. Hyebin ran out of the apartment complex, and towards the cafe, where she had agreed to meet him. Yes, it was Junhoe. On Valentines Day, she had agreed to help him with his gift for Jisoo, which was a dance and a song. And the day after, he had told Hyebin that he would not give up music so easily. Hyebin knew that while she could not help, there was at least some guidance she could offer. So she had set up one day of her weekend to meet up with him. School was beginning to wind down as finals were over, and March was coming up the very next day as the ending of their second year.

    “Shorty!” There was a shout, and Hyebin found Junhoe. He was holding a warm green tea latte, her favorite, and a regular coffee for himself. She accepted it gratefully, feeling the cold from outside still. They sat down, allowing the comfortable air of the cafe surround the two. From the counter, Granny was watching them with a fond eye, still not quite getting over how her two favorite customers were loyal to her business to no end.

    “I have somewhere I want to take you today. It’s a secret,” she added, seeing his eyes spark with curiosity. “You’ll figure it out when we get there. You can’t tell anyone though, okay?” He nodded, serious. She knew he kept his promises- he always made the effort to. She smiled, before getting up from her seat. “Let’s get going then. The bus is leaving soon.”

    The bus ride was about 50 minutes, but to Hyebin it felt like a second. They were seated together, sharing music. She was an avid fan of Big Bang, as well as every other YG artist. Junhoe had an undying love for Michael Jackson. As the bus made its way out of Gangnam, Junhoe would look out the window, obviously trying to put the puzzle pieces together of their destination. He looked stumped.

    “You aren’t trying to kidnap me, right?” The question was partially a joke, but there was an obvious air of frustration that he had no idea where they were heading, especially as the bus came to a halt in Mapo- gu, Seoul. Hyebin had a knowing smile, getting off the bus with a tiny spring in her steps. It had been a long time since she had been in in the area, and she looked around. Surely enough, there it was. Their ride to the final destination, which had people taking pictures of it, craning their necks to see who was boarding it, or who was already in it. Junhoe’s eyes caught the vehicle himself, and his jaw dropped in surprise, before Hyebin dragged him there, acting as casual as possible.

    “You’re crazy,” he grumbled, and she edged closer to the car, trying to pass off as someone who was just there to peek inside. She checked her phone, sending a discreet message, before moving towards the door. People were still taking pictures, and Junhoe looked uncomfortable. “Stop being such a fan-”. The door opened wide enough, and Hyebin darted into the van, dragging Junhoe in with her. There was a clicking sound as it closed, and from the outside, there were howls of protest as they had no idea what went on. It was, afterall, a YG Entertainment van.

    “Long time no see.” Hyebin smiled, delighted to see her brother. Yongguk was giving her a small smile himself, before he turned to analyze Junhoe, scrutinizing his every detail. Junhoe was still stunned, before Hyebin finally cleared .

    “Junhoe, this is my oppa, Yongguk. He’s a lyricist and composer in YG Entertainment, which is why I’m such a diehard fan of Big Bang.” A further silence ensued. Junhoe was in evident shock, opening and closing his mouth like a fish on land, his eyes widened. Yongguk himself was unimpressed, still looking at Junhoe.

    “Don’t tell me this is your boyfriend.” There it was. The famous deep voice of Yongguk, the signature trait of him that made all aspiring musicians recognize him. And Junhoe was just about head over heels in love with Yongguk.

    “Oh. My. Gosh. I’m a huge fan of yours! I followed you since you wrote all those songs with Teddy Park and I can’t believe I’m talking to you. Is this a dream? Hyebin, pinch me, is this really happening?” He was blabbering on, and anyone could see the amusement on Yongguk’s face, who softened his normally stoic expression, and Hyebin rolled her eyes, before pinching Junhoe’s bicep.

    “Calm down a bit, will you? And no, he is not my boyfriend. This is my best friend, who also wants to be someone big in music someday.” Yongguk scanned him over once more, as if dissecting every detail about the boy. Junhoe himself was starting to get nervous, feeling his palms sweat.

    “Let’s have a discussion then. Take us to the YG building,” he directed the driver, and the van took off, leaving all the stunned outsiders still shrieking after the van. Junhoe was in a daze, before turning to Hyebin.

    “Isn’t he Bang Yongguk? You’re Kim Hyebin,” he pointed out, and Hyebin nodded, looking at her brother. He was looking back at her, and she felt giddy to see him again. It had been a while, and she had already called Yongguk, telling him that her birthday present this year would be to help out a friend who loved music. That friend was none other than Junhoe.

    “That was our umma’s maiden name. Besides, he always wanted to make a huge shift in the music world, like a bomb detonating. Hence ‘Bang’!” Hyebin made a small explosive motion with her hands, and Junhoe nodded slowly, before shyly looking at Yongguk again. There was a masculine charm about the older male that made Junhoe feel nervous, as though he were in the presence of a drill  sergeant who wanted to make him drop down and give a hundred.

    “Relax a bit. I’m not even CEO Yang,” Yongguk muttered, catching Junhoe’s admiring gaze. Despite the short time spent, Yongguk could already tell the whole backstory, and it made for quite a song. His own little sister, the girl who never went out of line at all, falling for this boy who simply reeked of trouble? That was something new. “Besides, you have one of the most talented lyricists in your friend circle and you don’t even know it.” Hyebin shot Yongguk a look, as if to shut him up, but the damage was done.

    “You write lyrics too?” Junhoe asked, and he felt stupid and oddly humbled. This was a girl of many surprises. Not only was she the sister of someone who he idolized, but she was even earning the recognition and praise of him as well. Anyone who watched an interview of Yongguk was aware that he was not easy on any apprentice.

    “She might as well have given Teddy the idea for Park Bom’s ‘You & I’. Maybe not the whole thing, but the basis of it was from a small song she made and I accidentally brought to the studio.” They pulled into the YG building, the security letting them through. Junhoe was staring at Hyebin, who looked awkward at the praise.

    “In my defense, I write a lot, and Yongguk raised me for a bit. It’s only practical to imagine me doing a bit of lyrics,” Hyebin said with a sigh. Junhoe saw her in a new light. It was almost like the day in the carnival, when he had seen her let go of her worries and become that chirpy and childlike girl, instead of the scary and competitive one he knew at school.

    “Let’s go in, and continue this conversation. Then, I want to see this kid for myself.” Yongguk opened the car door and left first, and Hyebin hopped off. It was not the first time she had come to the YG building, although Yongguk had previously only let her come when he knew that none of the idols would be around. Junhoe followed, looking in awe of everything around him. It was a huge dream of his to be in YG, and suddenly to be here gave him the energy to continue this track of music.

    The interior was sharp and chic, and it was like a physical representation of Junhoe’s dreams, and Hyebin could see his glazed over look. It made her swell with pride internally that she could give him such an opportunity that even Jisoo could not- maybe this was the difference between her abilities of a soul mate rather than the love of his life was capable of. Yongguk looked at ease, despite easily being one of the younger producers, and many other employees gave him a nod of recognition, as well as Hyebin, who they had met at least once. Junhoe was still in a dreamy daze, unable to even think about what was going on. Yongguk brought them to the all too famous YG cafeteria, and Junhoe looked around, more excited than Hyebin had ever seen him.

    “I’ve seen this in so many pictures! I always wanted to be here,” his inner fanboy was beginning to erupt, and even Yongguk couldn’t bite back his smile. There was once a time, he recalled, when he had been just as desperate and needy for a chance like this in music. A chance to break free from the oppressive nature of the typical high class Korean family. A chance to make it big in what he really wanted to do. He ushered the two towards the food, taking out his ID.

    “I’ll pay for these two.” Yongguk said to one of the workers, who nodded, sending a smile to Hyebin, who was well known by many of the employees. There had been multiple times when she had come previously, devastated that Yongguk would only let her come when Big Bang was not in the building. Many remembered her for her dedication to the group.

    “Is this her boyfriend? Hyebin really did grow up,” the worker remarked, before looking at Junhoe with a kind smile.

    “Uh, aniyo. He’s just a good friend. Can I have an iced coffee?” Despite the winter, Hyebin was sure she wanted to have a cold drink. She always did that, and it was forever a habit. Even in the dead of winter, ice cream was still her favorite sweet treat. Junhoe nodded in agreement, doubling her order. Yongguk gave his card, before asking for a mug of barley tea, and Hyebin bit back a smile.    

    “Grandpa Yongguk is making a comeback,” she giggled, and he raised an eyebrow, unamused by her comment.

    “I hope you know I still have not even started on how awful you did your first year of high school, and that there is probably a horrible lack of colleges who would want to take you, and an even lesser number of medical schools.”  Hyebin winced at his words, and even Junhoe felt the blow to her confidence.

    “I’m sorry, but that’s kind of rude.” Junhoe said in a protective manner, and Yongguk looked at him, his gaze piercing.

    “As for you, you need to prove that you’re even worth a five minute investment.” Junhoe too shut up, and Hyebin could see the fears reeling in his mind. What if he was not cut out for music, but he was not meant to do anything? Hyebin put a hand on his shoulder, which was a simple gesture out of kindness, but she could tell Yongguk was noticing every small detail. Like how when he had found out she was dating Chanwoo in middle school, that the two were awkward as she did not seem to genuinely return his affections.

    “I think I can be worth more than a decade.” Junhoe replied in a steady tone, before taking a sip from his drink. Yongguk nodded, a look of satisfaction on his face.

    “Then let’s get you up to my room. I have the recording studio, and a bit of time in a choreography room. Impress me, and we can see what I’ll do for you.” Hyebin wanted to strangle her brother, except for the fact that one, at the moment he was the only family member she was on good tersm with, and two, he was Junhoe’s number one idol.

    They moved at a rapid pace from setting to setting, and Hyebin was unsure what to do for Junhoe. Was he handling this well, like his appearance? Or was he going to flop his chance to impress Yongguk? They neared a familiar room, which was labelled ‘BYG’ in large, black letters. However, there was a familiar sihulletee in the inside, and Hyebin froze. She had seen him once in the hallways of the building, but she had hid out of a mixture of shock and excitement.

    “Don’t back out now.” Yongguk opened the door, and there he was. CEO Yang himself, with his famous hat perched neatly on his head, and his posture looking that of a true boss. No one could deny the amount of respect any figure of this building had for him. He was not just the person who had probably the best music business in his power, but one of the legends from Seo Taiji and the Boys himself. It was, as far as Hyebin was concerned, a mental breakdown for someone who truly wanted to be a musician like Junhoe. But he took it in his stride.

    “Annyeonghaseyo, CEO Yang. I hope you don’t mind my intruding your building for a day,” Junhoe said with a handshake and a smile. Hyebin could recognize it- his father was a business man, and a successful one at that. Of course he would have obtained the proper mannerisms for such a meeting at this age of a quickly approaching sixteen year old. Yang Hyunsuk nodded, not finding a cault in his introduction, before turning to Hyebin, an amused smile on his face.

    “I see the little girl who used to cry about not seeing T.O.P. has finally grown up. There was a time when I asked Bang Yongguk if his little sister was capable of being an idol, and he told me he would rather have you be an actress or a composer. We can give you an audition later,” he muse, giving Hyebin’s rather bland appearance a once over. She blushed before shaking her head in refusal. Her mother would undeniably kill her if she suggested to being anything but a doctor at this point, and she herself had an undeniable love for it.  “I wasn’t giving an option. It’s a good chance for me to pick the cream of the crop before the other companies do, neh?”

    “Sir, we were here for Junhoe to showcase his talents. Do you have anything you wanted to say to me?” Yongguk asked in a light tone. There were stories from YG artists all the time of how CEO Yang would always visit, giving little pep talks and whatnot. To his words, he shook his head, before tuning back to Junhoe.

    “I think I’d like to stay to watch though, if this is okay with you. Consider it an opporunity for you to have a private audition and casting session.” Junhoe’s eyes widened slightly, before nodding. Hyebin sent him a warm smile, trying to encourage him from a dsitance. Had she put too much emphasis, it would have been quite clear to everyone that she was only a distraction.

    “Okay, let’s pull up the songs that Hyebin sent me. Apparently you sing to these quite well.” Yongguk walked to his computer, scooting his chair closer to the desktop. Junhoe himself was walking into the studio, his initial excitement reappearing. Hyebin sat down on the sofa, a little distance away from where CEO Yang was sitting. He glanced at her, before trying to not laugh.

    “I hope you know that T.O.P sat there before too,” he said as casually as he could, and Hyebin let a small whine of embarrassment escape her before she realized that he was no person to be so casual with. She immediately dipped her head in apology, and he shook his head. “I like it when YG family has other relatives that treat us so closely. It’s what makes this family work- you look at SM Town, and you can tell why there are so many things happening between them that cause issues. Same for JYP Nation, although don’t even tell Jinyoung I said that.” There was an awkward laughter from Hyebin, causing a more genuine one from CEO Yang.

    “Ready?” Junhoe nodded from inside the studio, and Yongguk clicked on a few more things to get the track to play. It was Big Bang’s song, or rather, it was Taeyang’s song ‘Wedding Dress’. Hyebin herself had a soft spot for this song, as she remembered how much she loved the lyrical depth in relation to her own one sided love. The piano came in, and there was an air of expectation arising from Yongguk and CEO Yang. Hyebin was confident in his abilities, and she sat back, relaxed.

    And she had every right to be confident. As soon as his voice entered the song, there was no turning back from falling in love with him all over. His voice was not the typical sweet and light voice of a Korean male singer. Instead, it had that trait of roughness to it, and yet that’s what she loved the most. He had a sufficient range to do anything, but it was the uniqueness of his voice that made her love listening to him.

    Some say it ain’t over till it’s over. But I guess it’s really over now. There’s some things I gotta say before I let you go, listen.” The very beginning was almost like a message she would have wanted to say to him. Every time the thought of moving on occurred to her, this song came to mind.

Wasn’t he like a boyfriend to her before Jisoo came to the scene?

    Every lyrical meaning seem to hit her more and more. Was he as attentive to her behind the scenes as Taeyang’s song lyrics had said? Junhoe was belting out every note passionately, as though he went through with it himself. Hyebin felt at a loss, not even knowing who it could have been for. Perhaps Jisoo had a bad break up prior to the two becoming a couple.

    “Mm. Okay. I think that is enough.” Yongguk cut off the song at CEO Yang’s signal, and his face was unreadable. Hyebin knew that if he closed his eyes, or if he was grooving to the song, it would work out, but she also knew that if he did not like it, it was blatant. She thought she had seen him bob his head but she was not sure.

    “How’d I do?” She thought back to only a month ago, when she was sitting a sofa with Jisoo. The way the older girl gave her a look that had no anger or dislike, but a look that was instead peaceful. The way she had said she understood that emotions were uncontrollable, and that Junhoe was so lucky to have the affections of a girl like Hyebin, whether he realized or not. The feeling of how naive she was, as well as Junhoe, who was in their line of sight and chatting away without realizing the secrets being shared between the two girls. Yes, they both loved him. But he chose one, and her role was to only be there.

    “You did great. I bet Yongguk and CEO Yang are more than willing to help you.” There was sincerity in her voice that was evident despite how tired she felt. Since that day, she had taken an extra measure to try and only see Junhoe as a friend. It did not work, but at night she found it harder to sleep, even with Bomi curled up at her side, due to the relentless thoughts.

    “Thanks so much. I thought I screwed up though,” there was a small shared silence, and Hyebin looked at this face she had seen so many times. No matter how many glances she snuck at him, she always found herself fawning over every detail.

    “You have a wish that you make every 11:11, and I’m pretty sure more than half of them are for music. You need to make that wish come true, so never let it out of your grasp.” She froze slightly, but it was hard for her not to as he reached out and grabbed her hand.

    “I won’t let my wishes out of sight, but I hope you realize you’re in a good portion too, and that I want you to be happy. You should really get a boyfriend soon too, and I know plenty who try to ask you out. I don’t see why you turn so many decent guys down.” Hyebin felt herself sigh, before pulling her hand out of his, and turning to walk after Yongguk, who left the room with CEO Yang for the choreography rooms.

    “Maybe I’m already in love with someone too blind to realize how many wishes I make for him.”

--

HELLO MY LOVELIES! Guess which lazy finally got around to updating? ME! Haha I'm sorry if I made so many of you wait. Now you finally know what went down... Jisoo and Hyebin are not mad at each other, but Hyebin is apologetic and trying to see if she can move on. Jisoo is not going to take any action at the moment. Anyways, how did you like the idea of letting Junhoe meet Yongguk and Yang Hyun Suk at YG Entertainment? (PS, I don't think I'm going to make him an idol as his occupation). I also just wanted to give a small update on my life too, if anyone wants to know why I took a while. Besides this being a super long chapter for me to write, but I had actually been writing in something called the DuPont Challenge, which was a science related essay contest for various age groups. I actually received honorable mention, which I'm super excited about, so I was busy with my Biology teachers discussing my achievement in my spare time. Anyways, thank you so much for the comments, which I loved reading, and please leave more, and upvote because May 1 is coming faster and I cannot wait for Big Bang's return (omg I'm a TOP fangirl too like Hyebin!) and I want to give more recognition to their lil bros, iKON :)