Chapter Five

I Hate You Not

 

CHAPTER FIVE

 

“I told them that I just was an exchange student from a normal family.” She says, looking down. “I never told them that I’m an heiress.”

 

Most heirs are very proud of their family status, but when Soojung arrived in Los Angeles, she lied everything about her family. All her friends were from normal families and she only wanted to fit in. Everytime she gets asked about her family, she would lie, afraid that they would treat her differently if they knew the truth. It was late when she realized that lying would only make things worse.

 

“Oh my god,” Jongin says, copying her American accent in a funny way. “You’re really stupid, aren’t you? Of course ‘Blondie’ would get mad at you. You lied to him.”

 

“You really think so?” Soojung asks worriedly, ignoring the fact that he just mocked her.

 

“Nah, I’m just fooling around. Just like what I said earlier, if he really loves you, he would understand. Maybe he would he even fight me or something, ‘cause you know, we’re engaged.” Jongin looks at the girl who looked relieved. He then offers his fork. “You sure you don’t want this cake? It’s really delicious.”

 

“Thank you.” She grabs the fork from his hand with a smile. “I kinda feel better now.”

 

“Great, I can annoy you again.” Jongin stands up his seat. “You have to pay for that.”

 

“You’re leaving me alone?” She looks at him in disbelief. “Wait for me, !”

 

He smiles at her evily, ruffling her hair as he passed by. “Goodbye, wifey.”

 

 

The night was hot and humid – a perfect weather for Mr. Jung’s 50th birthday party held in their mansion. Jongin arrived at the party with his friends. It has been a long time since he went there but he still could remember the last time he went. It was summer, just a few days before Soojung’s depature. He remembers that he had thrown Soojung’s doll as she only wanted to play with Jinri, and not with the boys. Little Soojung almost fainted when she was her dolly in their garden, full of dirt and icky worms.

 

Speaking of Soojung, she looked like a grown up lady that night, wearing a navy blue mini dress personally designed for her by a famous designer. At the beginning of the party, she stood beside her sister, greeting her father’s guests. She admires her sister as she was considered the perfect daughter – had good grades, graduated from New York University and followed all of their parents’ instructions. She honestly don’t like formal parties, but being with her sister makes her happy since she currently lives in Hong Kong with her husband and doesn’t go home often.

 

When Soojung and her sister went to the garden to greet her childhood friends (they didn’t want to go inside as they wanted to avoid the adults), Jongin noticed this genuiene smile on Soojung’s face. It was probably her biggest smile these past days.

 

After asking how they were and if they were enjoying the party, Jessica bids goodbye. “Well then, I’ll see you guys around.”

 

Soojung was about to follow her but her arm was pulled by Jinri.

 

“You’re not going to hang out with us?” She asks, pouting. “It’s lonely here without you. Stay hereee.”

 

“I’ll come back later, I promise!” Soojung declines, running quickly to catch up to her sister.

 

“I still can’t believe Soojung has an American boyfriend.” Tao says, watching the girl enter the mansion. “I never thought she would even have a boyfriend at all. Didn’t she hate us boys when we were younger?”

 

“She didn’t hate guys. My bestie’s not a misandrist.” Jinri says. “She was just scared that you guys would have done the same things Jongin did to her.”

 

“Hey, I wasn’t that bad to her.” Jongin defends himself.

 

“Dude, you gave her dead flowers on her birthday!” Chanyeol exclaims.

 

“Those were the only things I could find.”

 

“You almost drowned her.” Sehun says.

 

“Almost. I didn’t actually drowned her. Besides it was an accident.”

 

“Plus you killed her goldfish, Mr. Orange.” Jinri adds.

 

“I didn’t do that on purpose, Jinri. I accendentally dropped Mr. Orange in the toilet… and then flushed it…”

 

Jinri starts to nag Jongin. How the hell did this guy end up getting engaged to Soojung? She couldn’t help but to feel sorry for her bestfriend.

 

“Mr. Jongin?” A maid came up to them. “Mr. Jung wants to see you.”

 

“Me? Why?” Jongin thought. “Alright, I’ll be there in a minute.”

 

The maid bows as she excused herself from the group.

 

 

Jongin was lost at the party, but finally found Mr. Jung with Soojung beside him, together with some of the most influencial bussinessmen in the country, in their ballroom. It was huge and was full of people dancing to classical music. He coughs so he could notice him which worked perfectly.

 

“Ah, Jongin! Come.” He was quickly pulled beside Soojung. “This is Kim Jongin, my youngest daughter’s fiance.”

 

Soojung felt him smirk; even though she wasn’t looking at him, as her father showered him with praises. He praised him from inteligence to his skills in sports. She knew he was going to boast about this later.

 

“It such a pity. I’ve always wanted Soojung to marry my son.” One of her father’s friends says. “But it seems like your father have found a wonderful man for you.”

 

“I also do think…” She looks at him and smiles. “That he would make the perfect husband.”

 

The boy was dumbfounded. Did she really mean that or is she ting on him again?

 

“, Soojung. Don’t do this to me.”

 

After the chat with her father’s friends, Soojung was left with Jongin watching the people dance. They were actually taught how to dance waltz when they were younger, but she never really had the chance to dance waltz growing up in LA so she has forgetten about it.

 

“Care to dance, Jung?” He asks, noticing that the girl was getting a bit bored.

 

“Nah, I have forgotten how to dance like that.” She answers, looking at the people, mostly adults, who were dancing.

 

But Jongin insisted as he offers his hand to her. “Let me show you then.”

 

 

“You’re stepping on my foot, wifey.”

 

“I know. I’m doing it on purpose.”

 

He didn’t know how he did it, but Jongin sucessfully led Soojung out to the dance floor. He really thought she would walk away from him, but there he was at the center of the room with her, his hand on her waist and hers on his shoulder.

 

“Why are you not looking at me?” She asks.

 

“I am looking at you.” He says as he looks straight to her big brown eyes, but quickly looking away after just 10 seconds. He doesn't know why he can't look at her eyes. “You’re such a bad dancer.”

 

“You really have to insult me every 5 minutes, don’t you?” She chuckles.

 

“Why of course. After all, you’re my frienemy.” He sticks out his toungue at her playfully. The girl laughs and punches him. “Eh, we’re being watched by people. Your parents will know about this.”

 

“Whatever. Let’s go get something to eat. I’m hungry.”

 

 

It was exactly 10 o’clock when Jongin found Soojung at the balcony. He was actually about to leave when she spots her alone.​ She has spent the rest of the night with Jinri and both he and Chanyeol left the two ladies alone, knowing that they missed each other very much. 

 

“Where’s Jinri?”

 

The girl was startled after hearing his voice.

 

“You always pop out randomly.” She says, looking at him. She then goes back at admiring the stars. “She left thirty minutes ago with Chanyeol.”

 

“You don’t seem very happy.” He walks right next to her. “Didn’t enjoy the party?”

 

“I actually liked it. It was a success… And my father looked so happy.” She smiles.

 

The wind blows and Soojung shivers. The boy notices this and being the nice frienemy he is, he removes his blazer and throws it to her, causing Soojung’s hair to be ruined.

 

“How thoughtful of you.” She says in a sarcastic tone but wears it anyway. 

 

“You know, you should be sleeping right now. You’ll get acnes and eyebags if keep up. Go to bed!” He scolds her, waiting for a punch or an insult. But she ignored him and kept looking at the stars above them. To annoy her more, he continously poked her cheeks until she bit his finger.

 

“Jongin, can I ask you a favor?” She asks calmly as the boy cries in pain.

 

“I told you, I’m not going to help you on canceling our engagement.” He glares at her as he blows at his finger.

 

“That’s not it, stupid.” She mumbles.

 

"What do you want then?"

 

“Make me fall in love with you.”

 

He suddenly didn’t feel any pain on his finger anymore.

 

author's note: this might be the last update for a while bc my school is starting next week. thank you so much for reading, subscribing and for commenting. love you ♥