Chapter Fifteen

I Hate You Not

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

 

When Soojung said that she won’t be consuming any alcohol that night, Youngji believed her.

 

But it was lie.

 

She drank and she was drunk.

 

Being the good employee friend that she is, Youngji has dragged her home before her sister or her parents could even get there, knowing that they’d freak out seeing her wasted like that. It wasn’t really easy.

 

When Youngji told drunk Soojung that they would be going home early, the stubborn party girl refused and screamed the loudest ‘No’ that she has ever heard in her 18 years of existence. And even back in her room, all Soojung did was silly things. When Youngji came back to check her out if she was alright, she found her boss crying, with a picture frame in her hand of her childhood friends when they were just six years old.

 

“What’s wrong, Soojung?” She asks worriedly.

 

Between sobs, Soojung answers, “Jongin… He still hates me… He’s going to give me an ugly gift, and he’s going to ditch my ball. He still hates me! What did I ever do to him?!”

 

“That’s not true.” Youngji says, trying to cheer her up. “I think the opposite. I think he cares about you.”

 

“That’s bull, Ji. If he really does, he would be here… on my most important day.”

 

“But today is not your birthday. It’s tomorrow. Who knows? Maybe he’ll show up.”

 

Soojung had stopped crying by Youngji’s words, but wass still in doubt. “What if he doesn’t?”

 

“What if he does?” Youngji smiles.

 

“If he does… then it would make happy.”

 

 

The sun shined brightly towards Soojung’s room, which was unusual since the weather has been bad for the past few days. Even though it was still three hours early, Soojung has already started getting his makeup and hair done by a professional stylist who was hired for her. She has tried her best to keep up a conversation with the talkative stylist, but the headache that she was having plus her nervousness wasn’t helping.

 

Thankfully, her brother came up suddenly and asked the stylist that Jessica needed her.

 

“Aw, you brought me flowers?” Soojung points at the bouquet of pink roses (her favourite) Jaejoong brought her. “That’s so sweet! Thank you.”

 

But Jaejoong shook his head with an awkward smile. “Actually, no. Some dude delivered it for you. I didn’t want to look at the card since… well, it’s for you.” He hands them over to her, and she carefully accepts it, not wanting any of its petal to be ruined. She takes the card from a bouquet and reads it:

 

A flower blossoms as a bird sings its song

life is beautiful but it doesn't last long,

so enjoy it while it's here, don't wait till it's gone

or you might miss the flowers and the birds lovely songs.

Happy Birthday.

-Jongin XX

 

“He uses ‘xs’?” She chuckles to herself quietly.

 

“Who is that from?” Jaejoong peeks at the card, but before he could even see it, Soojung hides it immediately.

 

“So where’s your gift?”

 

“Oh, about that… I’ll give it to you later.” He puts up a huge grin and gives Soojung a tight hug. “I just came to tell you… that I love you so much. As your big brother, I want you to know that I’m very proud of you. No matter how crazy you are in reality, and how old you are, you would still be my little Soojung-”

 

“Okay, stop. Stop before I start crying.” Soojung breaks off their hug, and wipes her fake tears. But she did appreciate his message. He has always been the one closest to her in the family and even if she doesn’t see him every day, he tries to send messages to her to ask how she is. “I love you too, Jae. Even if you’re so old now, I still love you- wait, are you crying?!”

 

He planned to make Soojung cry with his words, but in the end it was him who started crying. “I just can’t help it. You’re all so mature now. I- I just. Ugh, my little sister is all grown up now. You’re even going to get married soon. Geez, I really need to speak with Jongin later.”

 

Soojung comforts her crying brother with hugs and kiss. But he just couldn’t stop crying.

 

 

Classical music played in the background with a live orchestra playing when Soojung showed up at the party dressed up in a long red backless gown, designed by her dear sister. Hundreds of people staring at her as she walked down the stairs. Her father joins her minutes after and makes a toast in her honour. She wasn’t really paying attention in whatever her father was saying when she knows that she should.

 

“… And I’m very happy to announce that my youngest daughter, Jung Soojung, is to set to marry Kim Jongin-”

 

That’s when people started cheering. She tried to search for Jongin in the crowd, but couldn’t because of the sudden flashes that left her almost blind.

 

“Where the hell is he?” She thought to herself.

 

“Cheers!”

 

At almost the same time, the aristocratic and elite guest raises their glass. After kissing her in the cheek and congratulating her, Mr. Jung goes back to his colleagues and leaves his daughter with her friends. All her friends from Imperium Academy were there. Seulgi and the girls were there. Seungyoon was there. Taehyun was there.

 

“Wait, did I give him an invitation? Oh well, he hasn’t actually done anything mean to me so…”

 

And of course, her birthday wouldn’t be completed without her childhood friends. Jinri was there, wearing a purple dress, looking like a goddess like she usually does. Luhan was there and arrived with his wife, Yoona. Chanyeol and Sehun were together with Tao and Kris who came from China. They were teasing poor Junmyeon who wore an unusual suit.

 

It was nice to see them all together, laughing and enjoying themselves. But Soojung couldn’t help but to think if she celebrated her birthday back in California, where Amber would probably throw a party at her house for her, and Derek would compose a song for just like last year-

 

“ Soojung! Stop thinking about somebody else when you’re with your friends!” Her conscience tells her.

 

As the group continue to tease Junmyeon, Soojung laughs along. That was until Kris points out something at the entrance. Soojung was hesitating to do so since he was smiling cheekily; thinking that it was a prank.

 

But she was glad she did turn around, after seeing Jongin in a tux walking in the group's direction with a big smile on his face.

 

“Jongin!” Soojung runs towards him with a big smile. “You came! You actually came!” Forgetting that their friends and some other guest were also looking at them, Soojungs hugs Jongin, that left him a bit off guard but still has his smile on his face.

 

“Damn, if you miss me this much, then I’ll never leave you again.” Jongin smirks. He didn’t mean that literally, but her reaction upon seeing him did make him happy. “Did you receive the flowers that I sent you?”

 

“Yeah, they were lovely. Thank you.”

 

Jongin glances at their friends quickly, who were already looking at them with much delight. Chanyeol sticks his right thumb up, and Jongin winks at him in return. Seulgi has been watching them and had no freaking idea what that was.

 

“Boys.” She thought to herself.

 

“Oh, sorry I overreacted.” Soojung, remembering that she was in a party, laughs awkwardly and turn to face her friends. “Let’s go.”

 

But before she could even move from her place, Jongin grabs her hand. He doesn’t say anything and just signalled at the dance floor, where Luhan and Yoona had already started dancing. Chanyeol and Jinri also followed the couple, and by that I mean Jinri dragging Chanyeol to dance just because she wanted to dance.

 

“If you don’t want to, it’s alright.”

 

“No, no. It’s okay. Let’s dance.” Jongin smiles wider as he led her at the crowded dance floor. As soon as they reach the centre part, he gently puts his hands around her waist, while Soojung puts hers around his neck.

 

It is a well known fact that the real Soojung isn’t a fan of classical music, but she knows much about the genre since her family has been educating her about the music ever since she was young. From Mozart to Beethoven, their songs were always played around throughout their mansion when she was younger, if her memory is right. The one particular song that was playing while they were dancing was Johann Pachelbel’s Canon in D, and even though she hates the genre, the song held a very special place in her heart.

 

During their Christmas vacations abroa, it was the song her father liked to listen to it during their family dinners and it was also the only time they’re complete in a year. After that, they would spend their winter vacation in either London or New York because everybody in the family hated spending Christmas in Los Angeles because there’s no snow. Well, it doesn’t snow regularly but for just some reason her parents liked to spend Christmas on the east coast.

 

The song was also her favourite piece to play in the piano. Her piano teacher wasn’t really the nicest teacher she ever had, but still she always has fun playing the song in her piano. Thankfully she didn’t forget how to play since she always helped Dere-

 

“Ugh, .” She mumbles as she unintentionally buries her face into his chest.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jongin asks and she just shook her head. She knows that she shouldn’t be thinking about Derek, but she couldn’t help it when he has always been the one who would organize her birthday parties ever since they started dating. 

 

“Uhm… I-I’ve been practicing my moves ever since you told me that I at dancing.” Soojung changes the topic in hopes that Jongin will get distracted and forget about it. And it did work.

 

“That was a joke, princess.” He chuckles. “You don’t at any way in terms of dancing. I knew you stepped on my foot on purpose.”

 

“Princess?” She repeats, her brows furrowing. She knows (and she has stopped caring) that he calls her his ‘wifey’, but this was the first time she heard him call her princess. “That’s new.”

 

“Well, you do look like a Disney Princess tonight. The only thing missing is a tiara.” He winks at her. “Reminds me of that sleeping princess…”

 

Soojung laughs at her fiancés zero knowledge to her favourite princess. “If I am Princess Aurora for tonight, will you be my Prince Phillip then?” 

 

“I have no idea who those people are, but sure. As long as you’re the princess.”

 

 

It reached the point of the party where Soojung felt uneasy and sadness was consuming her whole heart out. After dancing with Jongin, she was pulled over by her mother as she wanted her friends to meet her youngest child. Of course, she had put a big smile on her face just like how her mother would always ask her.

 

“She’s very bright and obedient. She just stays here or hangs out with Kim Jongin or Choi Jinri.” Mrs. Jung says proudly.

 

“Oh, dear. How I wish my daughter was the same.” One of her mother’s friends says. “Mine would sneak out at night to hang out with her friends and boyfriend."

 

“My son would do the same. He’s doing poorly at school too.” Another one sighs.

 

Soojung just smiles. She wasn’t like that at all.

 

When she finally got the chance to escape from her mother and her friends, Soojung searched for her friends all around the house but was stopped by people to have a short chat with her. Some were family friends, second cousins and some people from different companies. She didn’t know any of them, but thanked them all anyways.

 

 

She also stumbled upon Kim Jinwoo, the school’s football captain. He approached her with a soft smile but his dimples were still showing. “Err, happy birthday Soojung.”

 

“Thank you, captain.” She bows slightly and tries to think of a topic to talk about. She’s not as close with him like her and Seungyoon are, but he does try to talk with her sometimes.

 

“Are you looking for Jongin?”

 

“Uhm, not really-”

 

“Soojungie!”

 

With Sooyoung’s sudden back hug, Soojung was unable to keep up her conversation with Jinwoo. She turns around and hugs the girl back. “Happy birthday love!” She says in her usual cheery voice.

 

Seungwan, Taehyun and Mino followed and greeted her in chorus. “Happy Birthday Soojung!”

 

“Thank you, guys.” She thanks them sincerely as they pull her into a group hug. “I honestly didn’t thought I would make such good friends at school this fast.”

 

“Well, you should expect the unexpected.” Taeyong suddenly comes out of nowhere with a smirk. “Nothing is what you think it seems.” Soojung laughs awkwardly but deep inside she was being paranoid and wondered if he was talking about her.

 

“Dude! Where have you been?!” Taehyun pulls him over closer to the group. “We’ve been looking for you!”

 

“Uhm, so where’s Seulgi?” Soojung asks, avoiding Taeyong’s gaze. “And Seungyoon?”

 

“Seungyoon forced her to dance with him.” Mino says, chuckling a bit. “It’s best to avoid her for a little while. She’s not on her best mood.”

 

“Would you care to dance, Jung?”  Taeyong taps her shoulder to grab her attention.

 

“Err, actually… I have to… Uhm, talk to my sister. Yeah. I’ll see you guys later.”

 

Running away from her friends, Soojung felt her heartbeat race. She swears that Taeyong kid was into him, and she doesn’t mean in a romantic way. Does he know about her real self? Does he know about Derek? She hopes not. But she just can’t seem to trust the guy.

 

Without even knowing where she was heading, she was about to slip when her prince charming came to the rescue. slip

 

“Jongin…” She says under her breathe with a sign of relief.

 

“I should have said that you’re more like that princess who left the palace without her other shoe than the sleeping princess.” Jongin laughs after he catches her into his arms. “What’s the hurry? Why are you running?”

 

“Get me out of here, please.” She mumbles, her eyes looking straight to his. Jongin didn’t understand at first, but just nodded.

 

“Your wish is my command.”

 

 

The cold breeze of October welcomed them outside the mansion where the garden was dark and empty and the light that only enlightened them was the white full moon. Soojung walked on the grass barefooted as Jongin held her Jimmy Choos for her. When they stopped hearing the music from the mansion, meaning that they were far enough from the people, they decided to sit down atthe cold grass and watch the stars. 

 

“What time did you arrive in Seoul?”

 

“I went straight here after the plane landed.”

 

“Damn. Aren’t you tired?” Soojung looks at Jongin in disbelief. “Do you even experience being jetlagged? I mean, you stayed there for like, hours only!”

 

“Nah. I honestly forgot that I travelled all the way from America when I saw you smiling.” He says, and even though he told that in the most sincere way as possible, Soojung just laughed it off. “Seriously Soojung. I loved how you smiled at me today. You looked so excited to see me.”

 

“I could say the same if you were always so sweet. It’s so nice of you to send me flowers. And I didn’t know you were into poetry.”

 

Jongin chuckles. “Oh, that. I copied the poem from the internet. I’m a man of a few words so I just couldn’t think of anything good to say apart from ‘Happy Birthday’.”

 

Things started to get awkward when both of them had stayed quiet and had run out of any topic to talk about. The wind blows harder, and Jongin puts his blazer over her shoulder just like the last time, except this time he lends his blazer in a nice way.

 

“It annoyed you, didn’t it?” Jongin suddenly asks. “The party and the people who talked to you, I mean.”

 

“Not really. I was more of scared…I mean, what if they find out?” She says in a quiet voice. “Everybody thinks that I’m this good girl, a role model… When in reality I’m the exact opposite. I’m crazy party girl. Being in a room full of sophisticated and respectable people suffocates me.” Soojung sighs before continuing. “I wish I could just tell my parents, but my family is just full of decent people. I have no guts to do it.” 

 

“In case you forgot, your brother did date someone who isn’t from our social class before he got married so…”

 

“That didn’t help, Jongin.”

 

“Just trying to cheer you up.” He says as he lay on the grass beside her. Soojung does the same thing, not even caring if her dress gets dirty. She places her head into his chest and rests her eyes. “It would be best to tell them yourself.”

 

Soojung didn’t reply, not that she didn’t want to but just got too comfortable beside him that she got lazy to speak. She liked hearing his heartbeat, she liked the smell of his perfume and most importantly, she liked how Jongin plays with her hair. The way he did it makes her a bit sleep but in a good way. She loved this kind of Jongin.

 

Come to think of it, there were days were moments where the younger Jongin wasn’t so mean to her. She remembers that time back when they were kids playing tag. Both her shoelaces got untied, and during that time she still doesn’t know how to tie them no matter how many times she tries to. Soojung sees Jongin running towards her, and knowing that he’ll just going to tag her, she run away at the other direction.

 

Because of this, she trips and stumbles into the ground, causing her to have a cut on her left knee and bleed. At that age, blood was the most fearful thing to little Soojung. She loathed seeing blood to the point that she would feel dizzy when she sees one. 

 

“Oppa! Jaejoong oppa!” She cries, hoping that her brother would hear her. But she forgot that they were out in the garden, and her brother was upstairs studying.

 

“I was going to tie your laces, idiot!” Jongin walks closer and bends down. “That looks like it’s going to leave a mark.”

 

“Please don’t touch it!” She screams before he could even place his hand on her left knee. “Please…”

 

He laughs and pulls out a handkerchief out of his pocket. He folds it before tying it on the area where she got hurt. “Stay here.” He stood up, and went running towards the mansion. Unfortunately for him, he didn’t know that Jinri was behind his back. When he got tagged, he puts his hands up in defeat and continues his way to call a maid to assist Soojung.

 

Jinri was confused to see how chill Jongin accepted defeat, but she immediately stop thinking about it when she sees Soojung on the ground with a wounded knee and messed up hair.

 

“Oh my gosh! Time out guys! Soojung’s bleeding!” She ran towards her with a shocked expression. “What did Kim Jongin do to you?”

 

Little Soojung shook her head, denying that it was the young boy’s fault. “I fell because of my shoelaces.” Soon all their playmates came rushing to her, and a maid came out to get her with Jongin behind her looking worried.

 

“Soojung, are you sleeping?” Jongin ruins her thoughts by getting up a bit and peeking at her. “Should we head back?”

 

“Can I ask a question?”

 

“Sure, what is it?”

 

She stood up properly before smirking, “I know that if your heart doesn't beat it means that you're dead, but why is your heart beating so fast?”

 

“We should definitely head back.” He answers. He briefly thanks God that it was dark outside that she couldn’t see his blushing face.

 

 

“Actually, I am not sleepy. I was just too relaxed a while ago. Stop forcing me to go to bed.”

 

“But it’s almost midnight, Soojung. You have to sleep.”

 

Soojung looks at Jongin suspiciously. “Did you do something in my room?”

 

“No! What kind of man snoops around a lady’s room?!” He says, frowning. He finds it amazing that even though they got along all night, in the end they will still argue.

 

But she still doesn’t believe him. She asks Youngji (who is for some reason just standing near the room at the corridor) if he really did do something inside in which Youngji denied.

 

“If you really didn’t do anything, you enter first.” She challenges him. He just sighs but does it anyways. She doesn’t know why but she felt that something was strange so she waited about 5 seconds to enter. When she did, she immediately freezes and automatically covers her surprised mouth with both of her hands upon seeing a familiar blonde.

 

“O-oh my god. What are you doing here?” She looks at her ex-boyfriend and then back to Jongin. “What is Derek doing here?”

 

Jongin could only smile. “Happy Birthday, Soojung.”

 

The next thing she knew, she was already in Derek’s arms as Jongin exits the room quietly.

041.gif

author's note: i shouldn't have said that there will be a special guest....... :-)))