Chapter Eleven

I Hate You Not

CHAPTER ELEVEN

 

It was exactly past noon when Soojung arrived at the Jungs’ mansion. Knowing that nobody was there to welcome her except for the servants who worked in the mansion, she was about to head straight to her new bedroom when she was surprised by a grinning Jaejoong. Her brother squeezes her into a long, tight hug before asking how she was.

 

“Exhausted… Physically and emotionally.” Soojung replied, dropping her backpack on the floor as she slumps down in the couch next to her.

 

Jaejoong sits not so far to his sister. He knows that she has broken up with her boyfriend and by the looks of it, it seems like she didn’t want to talk about it so he decided to talk about something else.

 

“So how’s Paris?” He asks as he massages her head. Soojung used to do that to him when they were younger, especially when he was stressed out due to his exams and school works.

 

“Great, as usual.” The younger Jung answers with her eyes closed. She was too tired to even tell him stories about her trip so she just let her brother tell her stuffs. That was until he notices that yellow plastic ring on Soojung’s ring finger.

 

“What’s that?” Jaejoong points out the ring to her sister.

 

“Oh, this? Jongin gave it to me.” Soojung raises her hand to show it. “He said it’s my engagement ring.”

 

Jaejoong takes her palm to observe the said engagement ring closer. Since he lived in Europe, he knew that the ring was just a freebie from a candy but he decides to just keep quiet about it. “Ah, about your wedding…” He stops midway, remembering that Soojung wasn’t feeling her best today. But Soojung has already heard it and caught her attention.

 

She sits down properly and asks, “What about it? Have you spoken to father already?”

 

“Uh, yeah. Yes, I did.” The older Jung laughs uncomfortably before continuing. “He heard about you going to Paris with Jongin. Let’s just say he’s very, very happy that you two get along well that… That he thinks that you fancy him…”

 

“What?! That’s bull, that’s not true!”

 

“… And he also wants you two to marry next year on summer.”

 

Soojung, who looked very sleepy a while ago, now has a horrified expression on her face. All of her tiredness went away by his father’s thoughts and unexpected decision. “B-but that’s… too sudden. W-why is he rushing this?”

 

“Well who wouldn’t think that you like him? I mean, you two went to Paris alone.” Jaejoong wasn’t really mad about the trip, nor was he happy about it. He knows her sister and Jongin don’t get well in reality so he was glad when he found out that the two went to Paris together. He was also sure that it would distract Soojung’s thoughts and help her relax and forget. Though he wished they could have asked for permission first, he knows Jongin wasn’t that kind of boy.

 

“God, we didn’t if that’s what you think! We didn't even touch each other! He hates my guts!” She explains angrily to her brother. Suddenly the scene of her kissing Jongin came into her mind, making her blush.

 

“I know that, Soojung. I believe in you. But you know how the people think.”

 

Soojung bites her lip from saying another word. She knows that if she didn’t shut herself up, she’s going to curse in front of his brother. And she didn’t want that because she knows he was right. As she calms herself down, she hears another person approaching them. She immediately stood up, thinking it was her mother. But she was more surprised to see her sister, who was supposed to be in Hong Kong together with her husband, followed by a young girl wearing the same uniform as the other maids.

 

“What are you still doing here?” Jessica asked Jaejoong, her eyebrows raised in shock.

 

“Oh you know, Sooyeon. Just wanted to see my favorite sister who just came back from Paris.” Jaejoong smiled cheekily as he pats Soojung in the head. “Can’t I be here anymore?”

 

Jessica sighs. “When will you ever stop calling me Sooyeon?” Irritated, she ignores her older brother’s question and turns to her younger sister to welcome her back. She hugs her quickly and tells something Soojung didn’t expect. “By the way, this is Heo Youngji-”

 

Soojung looks at the girl behind her sister.

 

“-your new personal maid.”

 

“P-personal maid?” She looked back to Jessica, confused, and then to Jaejoong who just shrugged. Nobody told her that she was going to have a new maid. “Oh, uhm… Hello, it’s nice to meet you.”

 

Youngji bows slightly to her and smiles. “It’s nice to meet you too, Miss Jung.”

 

“We have to fix something in the garden, so we’ll see you later.” Jessica motions Youngji to follow her, and as soon the two girls were out of sight, Soojung went back to lay on the couch.

 

Her thoughts were much occupied at that moment, but the one thing she was most confused about was her sister staying. It’s not that she doesn’t want to see her sister. In fact she’s very happy to see her again. But she finds it strange, that Jessica was staying there when she was planning to debut her first collection in Hong Kong with the help of her husband.

 

“Why don’t you go to your room and rest?” Jaejoong says, grabbing her backpack. “Remember, you have school tomorrow.”

 

Soojung groans in irritation. School is the last thing she needs right now. “Do I have to go to Imperium Academy?”

 

Jaejoong nods. “With Jinri, Jongin and the kids.”

 

“I don’t think I could go tomorrow.” She stood up from the couch, and takes her backpack from her brother. “Can I skip school tomorrow? Please?”

 

“Fine.” Jaejoong sighs while Soojung celebrates in glee. He didn’t want her to miss school, but he just let her since she just arrived. The two hug for the last time. “But you have to go to school on the next day, alright?”

 

“Yes, sir!” Soojung shouts as she heads to her new room.

 

If only his stomach didn’t grumble, Jongin wouldn’t get up from his bed. He was visited by his parents when he got home, and then his friends followed so he didn’t really get any sleep throughout the day. He decided to go downstairs and look for a snack.

 

That’s when he remembers about the ring he secretly gave Soojung in the airport. He checks his phone but he hasn’t receive any calls nor messages from the girl. He wonders if he actually did put it on her bag or if he dropped it… But that would be impossible. He would have known if he dropped it.

 

“Oh, so she’s ignoring me, huh?” He thought to himself.

 

With an apple on his left hand and his phone on the other, he dials Soojung’s phone number but there was no answer. He realizes that it was late in the evening and she might be sleeping already so he just let it go.

 

 

Soojung was a heavy sleeper, but that night she couldn’t sleep at all. She blames the jetlag for it but it might be also because she wasn't used of her surroundings. She just couldn’t believe she was back in Seoul after a ten years of living in the States. Speaking of the United States, she tried her best not to think about Los Angeles, or a certain someone. She didn’t think of anything at all in hopes that she would get any sleep.

 

But in the end, she didn’t get any bedtime at all. She fell asleep at two in the morning but woke up four hours later. She wasn’t planning on going to school that day, but it felt like she was by the time she woke up. She tried to sleep a bit more, but gave up.

 

Since she really had nothing to do all day in the mansion, she decided to give her cousin Yoona a visit, knowing that her classes started after noon. When she went out of the mansion to wait for the driver and their car, she sees Youngji wearing her school uniform, rushing. Soojung had to call her out for her to notice her. When she did, Youngji comes back to apologize.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t notice you, Miss Jung!” She bows continuously. “It’s just… if I don’t rush, I’ll be late.”

 

“Oh come on. You’re as old as I am. Just call me Soojung!” She puts her hand on her shoulder to calm her down. “And don’t worry. I’ll give you a ride so you won’t be late.”

 

Youngji blinks at Soojung. She didn’t expect that she was nice. If she wasn’t late she would decline, but her school has strict rules so she just nodded shyly. But then she remembered that she was an Imperium Academy student.

 

“I-is it okay for you to go to my school? I mean, you’re from Imperium Academy, right?”

 

“Well, yeah I am… Kind of. And besides,” She tilts her head and asks. She didn’t understand why she sounded like she was prohibited to go to her school. “What’s wrong with that?”

 

“I go to Ehra High.” Soojung looked a lot more puzzled. Youngji just smiled weakly at her. “I guess you don’t know about it.”

 

“Is there something that I should know?”

 

According to Youngji, Imperium Academy had always been rivals with Ehra High. The students of both school never got along. There were even rumours of fistfights between the students, though Youngji has never seen it and she never plans to see it. Whether there were academic competitions or sports matches, those two schools will always come out as the top in the country. Comparing the two schools is like comparing Apple and Samsung.

                           

As soon as they arrived infront of her school, both Youngji and Soojung came out, with Youngji bowing (again) and thanking Soojung. The girl was about to head to her class, when they heard a loud booming voice.

 

“Woah!” A guy wearing a snapback screams as he looked around the Audi Q7 that they just rode. Beside him was another guy in a beanie, who was just staring. “This is sick!”

 

Youngji sighed and pulled his friend away from the car. “I’m really sorry about this guy. He’s an idiot.”

 

“Wait, is this yours?” The guy asks in amuzement.

 

Soojung just smiled and nodded. “Kind of.”

 

“Wow. That’s really cool.” He grins. “We should be friends.”

 

“Please don’t listen to him.” Youngji smiles awkwardly as she tries to shut Jackson up. He didn’t listen as she expected.

 

“My name is Jackson. And this,” He pulls the other guy closer to him and presented him. By listening to his accent you would know that he is a foreigner. “This is Mark.”

 

“Oh, nice to meet you. I am Jung Soojung.” She bows before continuing. “But you can call me Soojung.”

 

“You know, there’s this party on Saturday on-“

 

“Jackson, let’s go! We’re late!” This time Youngji pulls Jackson away and Mark follows them. Soojung laughs at how Youngji and Jackson started to argue. It reminded her somehow of how she and Jongin would fight. As the driver opens the door for her, Mark glances at Soojung for the last time.

 

 

"So you're telling me, that you dated a boy?"

 

"Y-yeah."

 

"Behind your parents' back?"

 

"Unnie, you're making me sound like I cheated or something!" 

 

Soojung was currently in the Xi-Im residence, telling her cousin everything she can't tell her sister or her parents. She knew that she would understand her better, plus her husband already knew her secret. She might as well tell her since they were alone, with Luhan attending a class at his university.

 

"I won't scold you, but let me just do this." Yoona flicks her cousin's forehead causing her to groan in pain.

 

"What was that for?!" Soojung says, rubbing her forehead. "That really hurt..."

 

"For lying to me. Jesus Christ, how will auntie and uncle react to this?" She sighs. "You're going to tell them, right?"

 

"I don't want to. I'm scared." Soojung admits. She wasn't her parents' favorite child, it has always been her sister. But ever since she was young she has followed everything they told her to do, just so she wont be scolded or much worse - be sent off.

 

Yoona pulls her into a hug. She never expected her to do something like this. They weren't really prohibited to date, but only if it was someone who was from their social circle. Even though she was a bit disappointed, it doesn't change the fact that Soojung is just a teenager. And teenagers love the thought of being in love.

 

"You know, it's better to tell them now. They might hear it from somebody else, and that wouldn't be good."

 

 

Ah, Imperium Academy.

 

The prestigious school for the rich kids, and their only goal was to be the best and forget about the rest. With the classic marbled floor, high ceilings and massive chandeliers, it didn’t even look a school. The school is so influential, that even world leaders and other powerful personalities holds meeting at the campus.

 

In her navy blue blazer, white shirt, black and blue tie, beige skirt and black high knee socks, Soojung felt goosebumps when she first stepped in the academy – and no it’s not because she was feeling cold. The school had this Slytherin feel to her. Everywhere she looked at there is branded products. And that was one of the things she couldn’t understand with people of her social class. Why spend a lot on things that will never last? She wasn’t used to this anymore that she had to remind herself that she was one of them. These people around her weren’t just rich kids; they were also South Korea’s future, and so was she.

 

While she was admiring the view of her new school, she felt somebody tap on her shoulder. When she turned around, she sees a girl a bit shorter than her. Before she could even introduce herself, she has already guessed her name.

 

"You must be Jung Soojung. Am I right?"

 

Surprised, Soojung nods slowly.

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Kang Seulgi, the school's president." The girl smiles and gives her a slight bow. Soojung does the same, despite the fact that she's still confused on why the school's president is talking to her. "I was informed by the headmaster that you're arriving. So, I offered to show you around."

 

"Oh, really? That's really nice!" Soojung grinned. Seulgi seems like nice kid, plus she has really nice eye smile. She could already see her hanging out with her. "Even though I don't think we could do that right now. Isn't class starting in like, five minutes or so?"

 

Seulgi glances at her watch. "Is it almost time already? I didn't notice. Oh well. Shall we do it after class then?"

 

"Sure. I don't mind."

 

"Alright. I'll look for you after class then." She bows again and waves goodbye. "I'll see you around!" Soojung waves back as she watches her go. She couldn't believe she just met someone, who doesn't look like spoiled arrogant rich brat. But then again, it might be because she's the president.

 

 

Angrily stomping as he enters at the cafeteria, Jongin spots Sehun and Chanyeol at their usual table. Jinri usually eats with them but as she recently accepted a small role in a sitcom, she’ll be missing for a while. It was no surprise to them since both of her parents were celebrities. They’re basically the Brangelina of Seoul. He sits downs right next to Sehun, without even ordering anything.

 

“What’s with the long face?” Sehun asks.

 

“I found out that I only have two classes with Jung Soojung. Two ing classes! I asked headmaster Son if he could change it and he told me that Soojung’s the person who can ask him that.” He says with his eyebrows furrowed. Chanyeol shook his head in disbelief on how stupid his friend was.

 

“Of course he would say that. Who are you to change her class schedule any-“

 

“Excuse you, Park Chanyeol. I happen to be her fiance.”

 

“You’re just her fiance, not her father. You can’t control her life.” Chanyeol states while Sehun nods in agreement.

 

Jongin sighs in defeat. His friends were right. They weren’t even married yet but he was already controling her life. What can he say? He just wanted to see her every day.

 

“Where is she anyways?” He asks to his friends as he looked around the cafeteria. He hasn’t seen her all day, nor heard anything since they parted ways in the airport.

 

“Talked to her after Biology class and she said that she was going to find out her locker number.” Sehun informs.

 

Jongin thanks him and stood up. “Catch you guys later.”

 

“Are you going to eat lunch?” He hears one of the boys ask but he just ignored them.

 

 

The halls were empty and Soojung was the only person using her locker. She was almost finished decorating her new locker when she felt Jongin's presence. He was leaning at the locker next to hers while looking at her, but she decided to ignore the boy to annoy him.

 

"Hey, notice me." He says and ruffles her hair to grab her attention.

 

"Good morning to you too, Jongin." Soojung chuckles. "You really like to do that to me, don't you?"

 

"So how's your first day?" He asked as helped her fix her hair.

 

 

“Quite lonely without Jinri, honestly. I wish she was here.” She admits. “But apart from that, I had a pretty good time in class and met some wonderful people, which is surprising actually.”

 

“I told you we’re not that bad.”

 

“I still don’t trust these people though.”

 

When Soojung closed her locker, Jongin glances at her index finger briefly, not wanting to be caught, and neither the yellow plastic ring nor the diamond ring was there. He’s not gonna lie, he felt a stung of pain on his chest.

 

"Uhm... If you need me, I'll be on the cafeteria." The boy says and walks away. He wasn't hungry anymore, but he just want to say an excuse to leave. He didn't want to ask her about the ring because he thinks that she didn't like it. He wanted to slap himself. Why was he was worrying about the stupid ring? If he didn't like it then fine.

 

"I haven't eaten yet so I'm heading there as well." Soojung states as she catches up on him. "But first can we ta-"

 

"Ah, did I say cafeteria? What I meant was... coourt! I wanted to play basketball... or something..."

 

Soojung raises her eyebrow. Why was he suddenly strange? Before he could even run away from her, she grabs his hand.

 

"Thank you."

 

"For what?"

 

The girl pulls out a silver chain with a small diamond wedding ring on it from inside her collar. Jongin’s eyes widen as soon as he saw it. "Thanks for this. I didn't want to lose it, so I put it on a chain." Jongin couldn't help but have a big grin on his face. So she did find it, and she's even wearing it!

 

"So you did like it, huh?" He smiles at her fiancee. He looks at the precious ring closely, and then looks back at her. "It looks good on you like that.Take care of it, alright?"

 

"Of course. It's the second decent gift you gave me."

 

"Second? What was the first one?"

 

"The yellow ring, idiot." Soojung hits him lighty on the head. "Seriously, you forgot that already?"

 

"Aren't you going to throw that away? It's hideous, honestly."

 

"Nah, it reminds me of you." She giggles before running to the cafeteria.

 

"Did... did she just call me ugly?"

 

041.gif

author's note: lol poor Jongin. XD I'm pretty sure Soojung didn't mean that.

Heeeeey guys! I'm back. I really missed updating tbh T_T Sorry I took like three months to update. I was really busy because of school stuffs. But school, it's summer time now! Yaas! I also broke my laptop so I couldn't write the chapters in advance but I got a new one c: The bad news is that I'm going to the Philippines this Friday and I don't think I will have internet on my grandmother's house. I'll just write the next chapters and if I ever find a place where there's free wifi, I'll try to update.

And I almost forgot! Some new minor characters appeared in this chapter! Heo Youngji (KARA), Jackson Wang and Mark Tuan (GOT7) and Kang Seulgi (Red Velvet) are here! There are more to come. Please give them lots of love. O u O