Two Cheeseburgers

Silver Rose

 

The cafe was a small little place tucked away in the corner of main street. It was a popular hang out for locals that Eunkyung had never been brave enough to go to. It was the kind of cafe that would the main characters would go to on their first date. It had the white table cloth, the over abundance of flowers, and a scenic view of main street from the seats at the entrance. 

 

Eunkyung instantly loved it.

 

Jungkook ushered her inside the cafe and they were immediately greeted with, “I’m not giving you a discount today.”

 

The waiter that greeted them was tall and very handsome. He had ashy red hair and lips that were made to be kissed. And he was currently scowling at Jungkook.

 

“Jin…” Jungkook whined. “But you always give me discounts!”

 

“You always forget to take out the trash!” Jin scolded him. “Why should I help you out when I keep having to do your chores.”

 

Eunkyung watched them with an amused but awkward expression. After glaring for a moment, Jin noticed her standing behind Jungkook. 

 

“And who’s this?” Jin straightened up and held himself in more of a respectful air. 

 

“Eunkyung. She’s my classmate. We were working on a project at the library and got hungry.” Jungkook looked to the side with a slightly shy expression.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Eunkyung,” Jin bowed slightly. “I’m Jin, one of Jungkook’s housemates.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you, too.” She smiled and bowed back.

 

There was an awkward pause for a moment until Jin sighed. 

 

“Fine, I’ll give you a discount.” Jungkook whooped. “But only because you have a friend with you.”

 

Jin sat them at a small table in the back of the cafe near the cafe display. Eunkyung peered in it before sitting down at the table and taking the menu that in handed her.

 

“I’ll give you guys a few minutes to decide on what you want.” Jin said before asking over to another table to chat animatedly with the customers there.

 

Jungkook and Eunkyung were quiet as they looked over the menu. There was all sorts of food on it and it all looked delicious. 

 

“Hm…” Eunkyung silently looked over the menu and flipped through it a few times. There was a lot of options and honestly she felt lost just looking at the menu. She glanced up at Jungkook and he was just dully staring in the distance while sipping on his water, obviously having already picked what he was going to eat. 

 

Awkwardly, Eunkyung looked back down at the menu. Didn’t girls normally just order a salad when they went out with a boy? But she was really hungry and salad wouldn’t hold her over until the morning. Plus, why would Jungkook be impressed that she’d getting a salad? He seems like the kind of guy who could honestly care less what his date ate.

 

Not this was a date.

 

Eunkyung got bright red and covered her face after that thought.

 

God, why was she so awkward? She couldn’t even have dinner with a classmate without thinking about something weird.

 

Reaching across the table, Eunkyung went to grab some water to try to cover up the blush on her face. But she was so flustered, she wasn’t paying close attention and ended up knocking over the salt shaker.

 

It made a loud thump, when it hit the table and Jungkook snapped out of his trance and look over at her. Eunkyung quickly righted the salt shaker, her face an even deeper shade of red now, and mumbled a quite apology.

 

Jungkook smiled faintly back at her and they made eye contact.

 

All of a sudden, there was a lot of awkward going on between them.

 

Luckily, Jin swung around to their table right then with a bright, oblivious smile on his face.

 

“Alright, what can I get for you guys tonight?” He asked them as he pulled out his notepad to take their orders.

 

“I’ll have a cheeseburger with sweet potato fries.” Jungkook told him and handed him back the menu.

 

“You decided not to do your usual kid’s mac and cheese tonight?” Jin laughed at Jungkook as he blushed a sputtered out denials. “I’m teasing you! It’s not every day you come with a friend so I have to embarrass you while I can.”

 

Eunkyung giggled before Jin turned to her. 

 

“What would you like, Eunkyung?” He asked.

 

“Oh, um… I’ll just take the same thing as him.” Eunkyung closed the menu, too shy to actually pick something out for herself.

 

“Alright!” Jin jotted down her order on the notepad. “I’ll go ahead and get your order to the kitchen for you. Let me know if you need anything! Particularly embarrassing stories about Jungkook. I have plenty!”

 

“Jin!” Jungkook yelled after his roommate who quickly made his escape to the kitchen.

 

When it was obvious that Jin wasn’t going to come back and face Jungkook’s wrath anytime soon, he slumped back into his chair and grumbled his discontent under his breath, Eunkyung reach over and carefully grabbed her water cup this time, so she’d have a reason not to talk.

 

At this rate, she was going to drink a whole river trying to keep herself from being awkward.

 

A few minutes passed and Eunkyung felt like she was going to being come a stone statue if something didn’t ease up the tension between her and Jungkook.

 

Maybe it wasn’t the best of ideas for her to accept his invitation to dinner.

 

But then again, if she wanted to get better at interacting with people and make friends, she had to start somewhere. An opportunity was being handed to her on a silver platter and it was her’s for the taking.

 

Now it was up to her to take the first step.

 

“So,” Eunkyung started. “How long have you known Jin?”

 

Jungkook finally looked up from the spot he had been staring at. 

 

“… 5 years? He got me out of a sticky situation and he’s been mollycoddling me ever since.”

 

“He looks after you?”

 

“Yeah, he’s honestly kind of like a mom. He always nags me about everything but he means well.“

 

Eunkyung smile as the conversation began, though awkwardly, to flow a bit more.

 

A/N: Thank you for all the comments you guys left last chapter!! I makes me super happy and I was able to churn this out as well as a lot of backstory (which will be revealed as time goes on) really quick! I know it doesn't seem like a lot but trust me, I've thought nonstop about this fic for the past few days and I've built on the universe a lot. I hope you enjoyed this chater and I'll see you soon!!