Starting the Camp Fire

Silver Rose

Even after everyone had long finished their cake and ice cream, the conversation and stories continued and no one could find it in themselves to end the evening yet. The sun had gone down and the moon had rose with the stars blinking their way into existence to light up the dark sky.

 

Jr had suggested that they take the conversation outside so they could drink hot chocolate and roast marshmallows around the fire pit in their backyard. All of the boys had jumped on the idea and Youngjae had run off to grab the marshmallows and chocolate (later going back for the forgotten graham crackers) and JB went outside to make the fire.

 

Yugyeom trailed behind the rest of the boys and looked back at Eunkyung, who was still sitting in her chair. 

 

“You coming?” He asked her and she nodded.

 

“Yeah, just give me a second. I’m going to ask Jr if he needed any help in the kitchen.” Eunkyung got out of her chair and took a step toward the kitchen.

 

“He’s fine. If he needs any help, he’ll ask.” Yugyeom tilted his head at the door, seemingly reluctant to let her go spend time with Jr. “Just come outside with us.”

 

“Are you sure? How is he going to carry 8 mugs of hot coco with two hands?”

 

“He has a tray that he likes to show off.” Yugyeom took her hand and gently tugged her outside. “He makes hot chocolate for us like this all the time.”

 

“Well… Okay. If you think so.” Eunkyung followed him and stared at her hand wrapped in his. 

 

Her hands were so small compared to his; They were completely encased by his. Her hand felt almost hot because of his warm hand and Eunkyung glanced back up quickly to shift her thoughts else where.

 

The other boys were sitting around a brick fire pit and JB and Jackson were arranging kindle. Youngjae kept swiping marshmallows from the bag and Bambam scolded him, despite the chocolate that was smeared on his fingers from snagging a few sweets himself. Yugyeom let go of her hand and went over to withhold the chocolate and the marshmallows from his childish hyungs.

 

 Eunkyung joined them in the circle and hesitantly sat next to Mark on a one of the long logs placed around the fire pit. He smiled welcomingly before turning back and watching the first sparks of the fire come to life.

 

“Are you enjoying yourself?” Mark asked her, not taking his eyes off the fire.

 

“… Yeah I am.” Eunkyung brought her legs up to her chest and curled herself into a ball. “It’s nice hanging out with you guys properly.”

 

Mark smiled. “The kids are pretty loud, but they’re good people. They have some of the biggest hearts. It means a lot to them that you finally feel comfortable enough to come over. Particularly Yugyeom.”

 

Eunkyung furrowed her brows in confusion. “What do you-”

 

Right then, Yugyeom sat down heavily next to Eunkyung, cradling the bags of sweets in his arms.

 

“Eunkyung, would you please hold on to these? If Bambam and Youngjae eat any more, we won’t have any more to make s’mores. They won’t try to take it from you.” She nodded and accepted them from him. He paused as he watched her uncurl herself and then hug the bags to her chest, slightly hunched over. “Are you cold?”

 

“Oh, no.” She quickly straightened up. “I-I’m fine!”

 

But Yugyeom was already taking off his light jacket and putting it on her shoulders. “You don’t have to li to be polite. I saw you shivering. Hold on for a bit, okay? The fire should help warm you up in a second.”

 

“Thank you…”

 

“Hey!” Bambam shouted. “Yugyeom! Don’t flirt with her in front of all of us! No one wants to see that!”

 

“Flirting?” Yugyeom shot him an incredulous look. “I’m making sure she doesn’t freeze to death. Stop being weird about everything.”

 

Eunkyung pressed a hand to her cheek, hoping that her cold fingers would cool down her flush cheeks. Mark rolled his eyes and took one of the bags of marshmallows from Eunkyung and started putting them on skewers. He handed a few over to Eunkyung and distracted her from Yugyeom and Bambam arguing over the logistics of flirting.

 

“See what I mean?” He asked her. “Loud.”

 

“Haha, yeah…” She trailed off and tried to will herself to be less awkward.

 

“Bambam doesn’t really mean it, by the way.”

 

“What?”

 

“He’s just teasing Yugyeom since he’s the only one younger than him in the p-house.” He coughed and glanced over at JB on the other side of the fire. “He doesn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable.”

 

She smiled slightly. “Thanks.”

 

“Any time.” He nudged her shoulder gently. “I’ve known these guys for so long I can practically read their thoughts. If any of them are acting weird, just let me know and I’ll help you out. We might not talk much, but we’ve lived by each other for so long that it almost feels like your my younger sister.”

 

Mark took the finished skewers from Eunkyung and handed them out to the other boys. Eunkyung stared down at her own and held it over the fire while she blinked furiously. She took a deep breath and quickly used the sleeves of Yugyeom’s jacket to wipe away the tears in her eyes that threatened to fall.

 

It was amazing.

 

These boys, who she had barely exchanged more than few words with over the course of the 7 years they lived next to each other, had welcomed her so completely. They treated her with kindness and consideration and they looked out for her. The few hours she had spent with them had gone by so quickly and Eunkyung had enjoyed every minute of it. It was comfortable with the boys and for the first time in a long time, Eunkyung felt a part of a group.

 

Warmth spread through Eunkyung’s chest and she smiled.

 

A/N: *squeals* THIS CHAPTER IS SO CUTE!!!! I LOVE THIS STORY SO MUCH!!! EUNKYUNG AND YUGYEOM ARE LITERALLY SO ADORABLE I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!! 

 

ALSO YOOOOO????? GOT7'S COMEBACK???? YALL THEY LOOK SO GOOD!!!! PLEASE GO SUPPORT THEM AND STREAM IT ON MELON AND GENIE AND WATCH THE MV SO WE CAN GET THEM THEIR FIRST WIN ON A MUSIC SHOW!!!!!!

 

Anyways!!! I hope you guys have a very good day and I hope your favorite band has a comeback soon!!!