Jagged Edge

Silver Rose

“What?” JB clutched his phone to his ear. “How much is there? How fresh is it?”

 

“There’s a lot.” There was a shuffling sound on Mark’s end. “It’s not very fresh though. It’s all dried.”

 

“Is there a trail? Where are you?” JB demand. He was frozen and tense, really to run as fast as he could to what ever direct the blood may lead them in.

 

“I’m on Eunkyung’s property. It’s all just kinda in the same place.”

 

JB closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He had to stay calm. Yugyeom could still be okay. It’s was up to them to find him now.

 

“Mark, let the others know. But everyone is to keep searching where we agreed. We just need to move faster.”

 

“Got it.”

 

JB swore, shoved his phone back in his pocket, and broke into a sprint toward Eunkyung’s house. A sense of urgency he didn’t have earlier was suddenly pumping through his veins. He though Yugyeom was just running around by himself for the past week and having adventures. 

 

But he wasn’t.

 

His blood had been spilt and now JB knew he was injured.

 

And it was all his fault.

 

Jb tried to shove the guilt back into the darkest place of his mind. 

 

JB had chosen where they moved when their parents were helping them get ready to form their own pack. They had warned him against this but he had stubbornly though that everything would be find.

 

He had gotten cocky and put his pack right on the edge of werewolf and hunter territory lines. And now his youngest member, not much more than a pup really, was hurt. There wasn’t a doubt in his mind that a hunter had been the one to harm him. And on top of all that, he had been missing for more than a week and JB hadn’t though to check if something was wrong until now.

 

His foot hit a rock hidden in the leaf covered path, sending him sprawling into the dirt. JB hissed at at the pain but shoved himself back onto his feet and ran down the last bit of the path. He ignored the two steps leading up to Eunkyung’s porch, leaped over them, and pounded his fist on her front door. 

 

JB doubled over, putting his hands on his knees while he tried to catch his breath.

 

He waited a moment, but there was no answer. 

 

He waited a moment longer, until her caught his breath, and there was still no answer.

 

“Eunkyung?” He called out and knocked again, gentler this time though. “It’s JB. I live next door. I’m the one that invites you to dinner all the time!”

 

There wasn’t even a shuffle of someone moving around inside.

 

“I just want to know, have you seen Yugyeom?” 

 

Still, silence.

 

JB sighed and leaned his head up against the door. 

 

Now what?

 

This was the only lead he had. JB didn’t have a clue where else to look and he couldn’t stand waiting at home while the others finished searching their area.

 

Then, all of a sudden, he heard a small scratching sound on the door and the fainted, most pitiful familiar whining he had ever heard.

 

“Yugyeom!” JB yelled. “Yugyeom is that you?!”

 

The whining louder and more persistent.

 

“Oh my god, are you okay? We were worried sick!”

 

Yugyeom just kept whining.

 

“Are you stuck in your wolf form, Yuggie?” Whine. “Okay okay, give me sec. Um…” JB glanced around and tried to figure out how he could get into the cabin. There weren’t any open windows, so it looked like he was doing this the hard way. “Stand back. I think I gotta kick the door down. Let me know when you’re ready.”

 

There was more shuffling around and after a bit Yugyeom whined at him again. 

 

“Okay, on three.” JB took a deep breath and headed himself. “One… Two… Three!”

 

He jumped and kicked the door just below the handle. It gave in and the door flew open. JB landed on the ground with a loud thump  and groaned at the feeling of his soon-to-be bruises. As he laid there for a second, an insistent and very excited tongue started his face. JB grinned and one of his eyes fluttered open to look at the young pup.

 

“Yugyeom… I’m glad you’re okay.”

 

The young wolf gave him one more affectionate before gingerly laying down next to him. JB reached out to try and pet him but quickly pulled his hand away when Yugyeom let out a pained yelp.

 

JB quickly sat up and looked at him. 

 

Yugyeom was in his wolf form. And while JB knew that, he didn’t quite realize it. That meant something was obviously wrong. Yugyeom hadn’t transformed to get the door for him. And even then, Yugyeom wasn’t moving around excitedly like he normally would. 

 

He was injured. He couldn’t change back.

 

JB looked at his tightly bound wound and let out a soft, “Oh.”

 

“We need to get you home. We need to dress your wounds properly.” He stood up and brushed the dust off his hands. He went to pick up Yugyeom but the wolf shrugged off his touch.

 

“Yugyeom?” 

 

The wolf slowly got up and walked away from him. Jb watched with a stunned look on his face. After a few steps deeper into the house, Yugyeom turned around and glanced at JB and to the next room and back again.

 

Then JB got the picture.

 

Yugyeom wanted to show him something.

 

JB shifted on his feet for a second, slightly uncomfortable with intruding uninvited in Eunkyung’s house anymore than he already has. Then Yugyeom gave him the smallest little impatient wuff and Jb walked after him. 

 

Yugyeom padded over to the living room as JB glanced around Eunkyung’s cabin with interest. It was his first time ever actually being inside it.

 

At the base of the well worn love seat in the living room was a pile of old ragged blankets covered in fur. Yugyeom went over to them and gently scratched them so they’d be more comfortable before laying down and looking up expectantly at JB.

 

“You… Want to stay here?” 

 

Yugyeom sighed, closed his eyes, and snuggled deeper into the blankets. JB took that as a yes.

 

“You’re not going to listen to me if I tell you you need to go home, are you?”

 

Yugyeom turned his head away from JB and flattened his eyes to his head.

 

JB sighed. “Fine. Just tell me this. Was it a hunter who attacked you?”

 

This was the most important thing for him to know other than Yugeom’s being okay. Because this could change everything. This could go from “random hunter loose in the woods” to “there’s a hunter looking for his pack specifically.”  This could go from “in time this will be forgotten” to “in time, we could all be dead.”

 

Yugyeom whined as he turned back to look at JB and nodded.

 

JB closed his eyes and groaned.

 

A hunter had broken the Pact.

 

 

A/N: IM GETTING SO PUMPED TO WRITE THIS WE'RE ALMOST DONE WITH ALL THE BORNING INTRO STUFF AND WE'LL BE ABLE TO GET TO THE REALLY GOOD STUFF SOON