ACT 2 - SCENE 2

The Journey of The so Ever After

The park's son, Daniel Owen better known as D.O, was singing on the porch. He wasn't just any good, he was beyond excellent. I watched, transfixed. I studied how he velveted the tone of his voice from strong to low. The song flow like a river of sweet fruit punch, as if it sang by a angel.

"You enjoy singing, do you?" The park was right in front of me now, and the sun had already set down. How long had I been staring at D.O?

"I was just intrigued by his singing," I said

The park lifted his bushy eyebrows. "Singing is a gift dear child, but perhaps my son can teach ya..... for a price." He lifted his palms as he waited for some monetary fund. I wanted to say yes. Something inside of me ached to sing at loud. My foot twiched with the rhythm of D.O's singing. My throat itched with feed to sing my heart out, to feel the vocal tones coming out of my mouth. I almost said yes, and then I thought of Gran. I could spend my own money, but I couldn't betray Gran.

"Oh," I said. "I just like to watch."

"Yes," said the park. "My D.O will marry well and become a magnificient person like his father."

My face heated. I wasn't talking about him. Why would I look at him like that?

Sure, he was handsome with his reddish brown hair and pearl light brown eyes. Minah Choi had persuaded him fo rmany years, but to her misfortune! His father had turned her down. The park sweared saying that mare like her was not up to her son's level, the girl left in a river of tears with her head low, and everytime someone ask her in regards to the issue. She just seems like she doesn't want to talk about it.

Just at that moment, D.O looked up at me. I noticed something I hadn't before. He was handsome indeed, but his face looked sort of blank. D.O stared at me and then flicked out her tounge and wound it around his mouth, like a frog catching flies. Not so handsome, I wondered if Minah Choi had noticed these things. Maybe they would make her feel better.

The park put his palm in my shoulders. "Dear bring me gold and I'll have D.O teach you how to sing. He is a fine singer, but I've known some who possess a more... natural talent." He looked at me with a strange smile on his face. Why was he kind all of the sudden? I'd never known the park to be kind, in fact he is exact the opposite of that.

I waved my goodbyes and headed my way towards the cottage. Gran was resting, so there was nothing to eat but a bit of cheese. I fed milk and nothing and the chickens, and they all bleated and brayed and chuckled at me for more. A pixie flew in my face and a gnome ran under my feet.

Suddenly the world felt crowded and noisy. I didn't want to be around anyone or anything. I just wanted to be alone and there's only a place on The Mountain where you can count on being alone. The Woods...