ACT 1 - Your Name Is Your Destiny

The Journey of The so Ever After

My mother nicknamed me after her decease dog. It's the favorite village joke, and probably the only one. That name has given me such an ungrateful luck, nobody takes me seriously and when they do, they take advantage of me. At least I don't think a name has to be a matter of principles to make fun of others so you could feel better about yourself, and neither does Gran. Really, my mother had another name for me, a wonderful name, but no one ever heard it. They only heard what it was convenient for them.

Gran once said that mother was a very beautiful women with a cheery personality and magnificent complexion that no one could match her standards. Even her suitors will come from faraway lands just to persuade her hand in marriage but she politely refused all of them, until the day a handsome young man delighted her heart. Both souls foolish enough to sworn that they shall never part ways until death do them apart. A year later, the handsome man died in a tragic accident, the news devastated the young mistress who was about to conceive their first child. The young mistress felt in a stage of depression and agony, her once beautiful self had transformed into a weary and lifeless corpse.

Even though, she had been very ill, she used her last source of energy to bring me to life. A child who no only brought happiness to her, but also great despair. Still, my mother held me close and whispered my name in my ear. No one heard it but me. 

"Her name?" Gran asked. "Tell me her name ."

"Her name is .....ha a a cough cough cough. .."

Gran gave mother something warm to drink and pried me from her hands but soon enough, the young mistress had fallen into a deep sleep. 

Gran had insisted her for my rightful name, but all this time my mother kept it a secret. During that time The village had gone through various faces of poverty,  one of them was the lack of food. Mother had insisted Gran to let her go far yonder in searched for more food, Gran kindly decline of several occasions, but my mother was so persistent that one day Gran finally agreed.

Gran and me await mother at the front porch to said our farewells. The old cuckoo clock marked the time for mother to embark in her journey to the netherworld. 

It was a sad day for both of us, but we respected her decision. She came out with award winning smile to wave us goodbye.

I knew that behind that fragile smile, she hold a secret. I was so deep into thought that I didn't notice her kneeling down in front of me, as she bit away her Goodbyes. 

" I am going into town puppy, I will be back." She said with a smile on her face and one final hug, I just nodded.

"Take care of yourself, Victoria and come home soon!" ,Yelled Gran.

Her silhouette was the only visible thing on the faraway prairies and that was the last time I saw her.