Chapter 6

Best Friends or Something More?

Bomi POV

After leaving Apink’s dorm I called a taxi. Not knowing where to go I told the taxi to drive around the block a couple of times while I figure out what to do. I can always call Sojin unnie, but I feel bad for disturbing her. In the end I just went to stay in a nearby hotel. Once I got into my room that was when I let it all out. I broke down crying. I didn’t care how loud I was being or how weak I looked. How can Chorong unnie say those words to me? Is that why she’s been avoiding me? If she was tired of me then why didn’t she just say so before I made this trip? Unnie. What did I do to make you hate me? I thought she was my best friend. My big sister. Someone who will stay by my side through thick and thin. Ugh. I threw my phone against the wall out of anger. I didn’t care that the screen cracked. I didn’t care that it broke. I walked over to the bed and laid down thinking of what to do. I have a week left in Korea, but there’s no point in staying anymore. 

I got on my laptop to see if I can change my flight to the earliest as possible. The next flight was at 4 in the afternoon. I guess that’s good enough. After I rescheduled my flight I closed my laptop and lay on the bed. Chorong unnie was drunk so is it possible that she didn’t mean what she said? But then again, whenever Chorong unnie is drunk she tends to say what’s on her mind. So maybe she really does hate me. She was always so nice and caring towards me, why waste that time if she really hated me?

It was 3 in the morning so I snuck into Apink’s dorm hoping no one is awake. I went into Chorong unnie’s room and noticed that she wasn’t in there. I guess she was sleeping with Hayoung. After I packed up my luggage and bags I went out quietly. After i left the building I looked back once more and thought 'goodbye Apink.' Once I got back to my hotel I laid on my bed and cried myself to sleep.

Chorong POV

I woke up with a massive headache; I looked around to see where I was and realized I was in Hayoung’s room. I looked over to the nightstand to see if my phone is there, but instead there was a cup of water, a pill, and a note.

Unnie, we have practice today, but you don’t have to go. I can still smell the alcohol on you, so just sleep. I told manger oppa that you’re not feeling well. Get some rest, okay? I’ll call to check up on you soon and when I do I’m going to need the full story

-Your mature maknae, Hayoungie

I smiled feeling glad that I got such a caring little sister. I went back to my room and noticed that Bomi’s luggage was gone. I sat on the bed and sighed to myself. What did I do? Why did I say such horrible things to her? Is she really not coming back? This was our first fight and it feels so chaotic. I wonder where Bomi stayed the night. She probably called Sojin unnie. I started getting mad again at the thought of Bomi and Sojin unnie being together. Should I call her? No, it’s too early. Ugh. I really do hate this. I heard my phone ringing and picked it up right away hoping its Bomi.

“Bomi?!” I asked

“no it’s Hayoung, are you okay, unnie?” she asked worriedly

“yeah I just woke up. Thanks for covering for me”

“no problem! We’re done with practice, the others are going out to eat, but I’m going to come back to talk to you”

“Hayoung-ah you can go eat with the others, I’ll tell you everything later”

“no it’s fine! I’ll bring us food. I’ll be back in 20 minutes.”
Then we hung up. I really didn’t want to talk about it, but at the same time I want to let it out. ‘Bbom-ah, where are you?’ I thought to myself. I got out of bed and went to wash up hoping it’ll help me feel a little more refreshed. When I came out of the batroom I saw Hayoung coming in through the front door. Once she saw me she came running and hugged me tightly.

“unnie! What happened? Your eyes are really swollen and you reeked of alcohol last night”

“Hayoung-ah, I made a really horrible mistake,” I said hugging her tighter. I can feel myself crying again. I was glad that Hayoung didn’t say or ask anymore and just let me cry. After about 5 minutes of nonstop tears and me rambling stuff I finally calmed down.

“so what happened?” Hayoung asked, rubbing my back

“Hayoung-ah, I don’t know if you know this, but I’m in love with Bomi. I’ve been in love with her since we were kids”

“unnie, I know. We all know”

“what do you mean ‘we all know’?” I asked feeling confused

“we as in the members. Unnie, it’s pretty obvious that you’re in love Bomi unnie. At first we thought that you just really love her as a best friend, but then we started noticing how happy you get even just the mention of her name. You get happy when you’re on the phone with her, we saw that you’d smile throughout the whole conversation and always wonder doesn’t your cheeks hurts from smiling so much. When you finish skyping with her we see you pouting and being sad. Unnie, remember this?” she asked, taking out a picture frame

“what about it? Wait that’s not the frame that I bought” I said feeling confused

“yeah, we had to buy a new one. You broke the old one when you found out Bomi unnie had a boyfriend. When you found out you took the nearest thing and threw it against the wall. That was when we knew you like her more than a friend”

“do you think she knows?”

“of course not, Bomi unnie is as dense as a brick” Hayoung said making me smile a bit

“that’s good, but I think I screwed up pretty bad. I’m sure you guys noticed that I’ve been avoiding her”

“yeah we’ve been meaning to ask that. Ever since you found out that Bomi unnie was coming to visit you were really excited. You had everyday planned out!”

“I thought I was going to spend a lot of time with her too! I just didn’t expect my heart to pound rapidly every time she’s near me. Whenever I’m next to her I feel like I’m going to lose control over myself. Every time she touches me my heart feels like it’s going to jump out. I always want to be with her, but I’m afraid that if I’m constantly with her I would end up telling her my true feelings”

“maybe that’s a good thing,” Hayoung said, “maybe then she’ll know how you feel and then you guys can be together!”

“and if she doesn’t feel the same way then our friendship will be awkward. I don’t ever want to lose her.” Right after I said that I started crying. I started crying again because I lost her last night. What am I supposed to do? I can’t live without her.

“unnie, what happened between you and Bomi unnie last night?”                              

“I exploded. I let my jealousy and anger do the talking. I told her that I hate her, that I hate everything about her. I also told her that I was tired of her and I’ve wasted 15 years of my life. Then I told her to get out. She asked me if I really meant it and if I really do mean it she won’t ever come back. Of course me being the stupid person that I am, I said I meant it. Now she’s gone.” Tears started rolling down my cheeks at the realization that Bomi may never come back.

“oh unnie, you need to learn to control your emotion. Has she messaged you or anything yet?” I shook my head sadly. I guess Hayoung ran out of things to say so she continued on hugging me as I cried on her shoulder again.

 

-same time Chorong and Hayoung were talking-

I woke up feeling like crap. My eyes were swollen and I had bags under my eyes; if I were to stand next to a panda we’d be twins. I wonder what happened to the pink panda that I got for unnie. What am I thinking? Why am I thinking about the panda when there are more serious things to think about. It was 2 in the afternoon. I had about 2 hours. I decided to just go straight to the airport and say my goodbyes through the payphone since my phone broke. I guess I’ll just buy a new one when I get back. This is good in a way, I’ll get a new number. All my contact lists will be gone so I won’t give into myself and try to talk to Chorong unnie. I made my way to the nearest payphone to call Sojin unnie first.

“unnie! Do you have time to talk for a bit?”

“yeah, what’s up?” Sojin unnie asked

“something came up and I have to go back to California today. I don’t have time to say goodbye in person so I thought I’d call you”

“you’re leaving?! But we only saw each other twice, I was actually going to ask you to go out again”

“sorry unnie, next time! My flight is leaving soon so I should go. Thank you for taking me out, I had a lot of fun! I love you unnie” I said the last part in an aegyo voice

“aww, alright. Let’s hope we see each other soon! I hope you and Chorong talked about why she’s avoiding you. I love you too baby borilla!”

Hearing Chorong unnie’s name just makes my heart turn into knots. I guess we technically did talk about it. I finally got my answers to why Chorong unnie isn’t touchy towards me. I feel bad that I’ve wasted unnie’s time. I decided to call Eunji next since I was the closest to her and she can tell the others for me. Who am I kidding about the new contacts? I memorized all of the Apink members numbers already.

“hello?”

“Eunji-”

“BOMI! WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?” Eunji shouted into the phone

“I’m at Incheon airport. Yah stop shouting and listen will you?”

“hey! Bomi is at Incheon airport” I heard Eunji shouting, “why are you there?”

“I’m leaving in about 30 minutes”

“What! Why are you leaving?” Eunji shouted again

“yah Jung Eunji if you keep shouting I’m going to hang up!”

“sorry sorry. Why are you leaving? Come back. We heard about what happened, you can’t take unnie seriously”

“you weren’t there. I’m pretty sure she meant everything she said” I can feel the tears threatening to come

“look, Chorong unnie is coming out of her room right now. Talk to her”

“no! Eunji! Yah yah yah!”

“Bbom-ah…” with the soft voice that I love since we were kids

“umm…tell the others bye and that I love them” I said then I hurried and hung up. I lost all feelings in my legs after I hung up. I was just sitting on the floor thinking why would unnie want to talk to me if she told me she’s tired of me. Maybe she didn’t mean what she said? No. She definitely meant it. I even asked her and told her that I wouldn’t come back. I guess she didn’t care.

Chorong POV

“umm…tell the others bye and that I love them.”

With that she was gone. I dropped to my knees and started bawling my eyes out. She’s really leaving. Why am I such an idiot! The others came and helped me to my bed. Should I go stop her? I wouldn’t make it in time. I took out my phone to try to call her, but it just went straight to voicemail. Maybe I should let her go. Bomi is popular. she doesn’t need me anymore. She has other friends that will help her when she’s in need. ‘Yoon Bomi. No matter what I will never stop loving you’ I thought to myself.