Chapter 4

Best Friends or Something More?

After a 4 hours of quiet car ride, we finally arrived at Seoul. When we got back to the dorm we all went to get ready for our plans. Hayoung was going to hangout with Joy, Namjoo was going to visit her parents, Eunji and Naeun were going on their first date, and Chorong unnie and I were going to go to the amusement park. I decided to go wait in the van since Chorong unnie was taking a while. I took out my phone and noticed that I have a lot of notifications from facebook. I was so busy saying thank you to people on facebook that I didn’t notice Chorong unnie coming in.

“ready?” she said smiling

“definitely!” I said excitedly.

She came in and sat next to me, I reached out to hold her hands, but immediately stopped remembering that she doesn’t like it. I still don’t get it. She likes touching other people and having people touch her, but she’s not okay with me being touchy towards her. I sighed and rested my head on the window thinking why would she be like that.

“Bbom-ah, are you okay?” Chorong unnie asked concerned

“yeah I’m fine, just a little tired” I lied

“oh, go ahead and sleep I’ll wake you up when we’re there”

“thanks unnie” I said, closing my eyes. I wasn’t tired, but I wanted to try to sleep so I wouldn’t kill myself with overthinking.

After a bit we finally arrived, I jumped out of the van and started stretching. Chorong unnie came to my side and gestured us to go. I was feeling happy that there weren’t much people, which mean we won’t have to wait in line long. We decided to go on a small rollercoaster first to get Chorong unnie used to it. While waiting in line I can see unnie getting pale and starting to shake a bit.

“unnie, if you don’t want to ride it we don’t have to” I said

“it’s okay Bbom-ah, I’ll be fine” she said giving me a reassuring smile

I grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly as we were walking to our seat. Chorong unnie gently let go of my hand and said, “Bbom-ah don’t do that, if people see they might get the wrong idea.”

“but it’s okay to hold Bora unnie’s hand in a restaurant” I mumbled to myself

“what?” Chorong unnie asked

“nothing” I said, then just faced forward waiting for the ride to start. I didn’t want to get mad today so I decided to just ignore the anger feeling and try to have fun. During the ride unnie was screaming which was really adorable. After the ride our hair were a mess. We started cracking up at how we both looked like monsters when they took a picture. I decided to buy the picture for memories and Chorong unnie glare at me for it. We walked around just looking and enjoying each other’s company. We walked past the game center, but Chorong unnie immediately stopped then dragged me to one of the game place.

“I want that pink panda, let’s try to play” Chorong unnie said acting like a 5 year old

“alright” I said paying the man. The game was just shooting a basketball, except the basket was really high and far. Chorong unnie went for the first try, but was a little off. I wanted to give all three chances to her because I wasn’t a good player, but Chorong unnie insisted that I try. I grabbed the ball and I just threw it as hard as I could and in it went. Chorong unnie and I both stared at each other in amazement. I got the pink panda and handed it to Chorong unnie. She squealed and hugged the panda bear really tight. Great now I’m even jealous of a stuffed animal.

We made our way to the next ride, which was that ride that takes you up then drops you down. Before we could get there I guess some people recognize Chorong unnie so they came up asking for autographs and pictures. Chorong unnie kindly explained to them that she can only pictures with some fans because she was here with someone. After about 10 minutes or so Chorong unnie was finally done, she apologized, but I didn’t mind. I knew that it was going to happen sooner or later. When we finally got to the line we heard someone calling Chorong unnie’s name, I assumed it was just a fan, but when I turned it was Changsub-shi

“Chorong-ah, what are you doing here?” He asked running over to us

“we’re celebrating Bomi’s birthday, what about you?” Chorong unnie answered

“oh happy birthday Bomi-shi,” he said and politely bow a bit, “I was meeting an old friend. Are you going to ride this? I thought the great Park Chorong was scared of heights?”

“Bomi wants to ride it and since she’s the birthday girl, I have to do what the birthday girl says,” she said smiling at me, “do you want to ride it with us?”

“sure!” Changsub agreed and got in line with us.

I don’t have a problem with Changesub, he’s a really great guy, but it was supposed to just be me and Chorong unnie today. I felt a little disappointed that Chorong unnie asked him. Well I guess it’s just one ride then it’ll be us two again. When we were slowly going up I saw that Chorong unnie grabbed on to Changsub’s hands. ‘I seriously have to ask her about this. It’s really getting on my nerves. Am I repulsive towards her or something?’ I thought. We were really high up and I saw that Chorong unnie was getting paler again and she closed her eyes tight. When we were going down Chorong unnie opened her eyes and screamed to the top of her lungs. I’m pretty sure the people in Busan can hear her screams. After we got off Chorong unnie was breathing heavily trying to calm herself down.

“that was fun!” Changub said, “hey you know there’s this ride that isn’t scary, but really fun. It’s going on break soon let’s hurry!” Changsub grabbed Chorong unnie’s wrist and ran off.

I was waiting for Chorong unnie to look back or tell him she’s busy, but she ran with him laughing and smiling. I should have known that today wasn’t going to be just us. I picked up the pink panda that unnie left on the ground and started walking after them. I just don’t understand. I keep thinking that when we talk on the phone or through the internet Chorong unnie talked to me normally and paid attention to me. I thought it’d be the same in the person, but it seems like Chorong unnie is avoiding me. As for reasons why, I really don’t know. I heard my phone ringing, hoping that it’s Chorong unnie finally noticing that she left me behind.

“hello?” I answered

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOON BOMI” I heard someone screaming into the phone

“oh! Sojin unnie, thank you! I didn’t think you’d remember”

“of course I remember! What are you doing today?” Sojin unnie asked

“I’m at the amusement park with Chorong unnie right now, but she bailed on me again for Changsub” I said sighing

“aww my poor baby, I don’t have any schedule today, do you want me to come keep you company?”

“thanks, but it’s okay! I’m just going to try to find Chorong unnie now. Are you busy tomorrow? Let’s hangout”

“tomorrow is good! I’ll see you tomorrow then, but don’t hesitate to call if you need anything”

“thanks unnie!” I said hanging up.

After walking for about 30 minutes I finally found Chorong unnie eating snacks with Changsub. She didn’t even text or call me asking where I am. Why is Changsub still there?

“Bbom-ah! Why did you leave us?” Chorong unnie asked

‘leave you? You left me!’ I wanted to say, but instead I kept it in and said, “oh sorry”

“are you hungry? Let’s go grab dinner, Changsub wanna come eat with us?”

“sure I’m feel hungry from having too much fun haha,” doesn’t this guy have something else better to do? Aiish.

“oh Changsub, you like the meat from that place in Hongdae, right? We should go there” Chorong unnie said. Changsub agreed happily and they got up, then we started heading to the van.

Wow just great. This morning Chorong unnie said that I would pick the place for dinner. I was done being nice and bottling up my feelings. I also didn’t want to be a third wheel so I texted Sojin unnie.

 

Hey, do you have plans for dinner? If not, come to Kim Lee restaurant in Hongdae

Okay, see you in 30 minutes!

 I smiled feeling happy that at least I’ll have Sojin unnie to company me. We arrived at the restaurant and I asked for 4 seats, earning a confusing look from Chorong unnie. We went to our seat, I was hoping that Chorong unnie would sit next to me, but instead she sat next to Changsub. Her actions are really getting me mad. I came all the way to Korea for her, but she’s avoiding me most of the times. About a minute later I saw Sojin unnie walked in, boy I was so glad that she’s finally here.

“Sojin unnie!” I said loudly waving my hand. She smiled and made her way toward the table.

“Hey baby!” Sojin unnie said hugging me, “happy birthday again!” then she kissed me on the cheeks

“thanks” I said smiling happily. Sojin unnie nickname for me is baby or baby borilla. She says I act like a 2 year old and I look like a gorilla when I eat so the nickname fits me.

“hey Chorong, Changsub” Sojin unnie greeted the other

“hi” Chorong unnie said monotone

“hey noona, I didn’t know you were coming” Changsub said

“oh yeah it was a last minute thing, Bomi just texted me about an hour ago asking to come” Sojin unnie answered. The waitress came and we ordered our food.

When the food came we all ate in silence, Sojin unnie would feed me and I can see from the corner of my eye that she’s giving us her glare. I really don’t know why she would glare at us. I wanted to see if she was jealous, so I started feeding Sojin unnie too. Again, I can feel Chorong unnie glaring at us. Why would she be jealous? She told me she hates those things, so she shouldn’t be jealous. I wonder what is up with her. After we finished eating the check came, both Chorong unnie and Sojin unnie grabbed for it at the same time.

“I’ll take care of it, don’t worry” Chorong unnie said

“oh no it’s fine, I’ll pay. I want to treat Bomi to a birthday dinner” Sojin unnie said

“it’s okay, it’s my job as her big sister to treat her on her birthday” Chorong unnie said in a tone only I could tell was her mad tone

“alright then,” Sojin unnie said, “I’ll just treat her tomorrow” she patted my head.

After dinner we all bid our goodbyes and went back home. Chorong unnie was really quiet during the ride back. When we got back to the dorm the others hugged me again and wished me happy birthday. Hayoung came out of nowhere and smashed a cake in my face. I tried to get her back, but missed and hit Eunji thus a cake war was started in Apink’s dorm. When we were done I went to shower to wash up. After I was done Chorong unnie was already getting ready in bed, still not really saying anything to me.

“unnie, are you okay?” I asked

“yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

“I don’t know, you just seem off. You were really quiet on the ride back, and while we were throwing cakes you kinda stayed back”

“I’m fine, don’t worry. Did you have a good birthday today?”

“yeah!” I lied, honestly I didn’t enjoy today. It was only fun in the morning, then it was all ruined

“I’m also free tomorrow, do you want to hangout just the two of us?” unnie asked

I scoffed at the mention of ‘just the two of us’. Really unnie? You’re going to say that when every time you do you end up bailing on me?

“what?” Chorong unnie asked

“every time you say that, it’s never just us. You either bail on me, or one of your friend tags along” I said

“I’m sorry that I have to cancel our plans, but you should understand that it’s hard for me to hangout with my other friends so when I get the chance I have to hangout with them too”

“yeah I get that, but unnie it’s hard for us to hangout too! I’m leaving in a week and a half. The most time I’ve spent time with you was 3 hours”

“that’s why we’ll hangout tomorrow!”

“I can’t. I already made plans with Sojin unnie.” Right when I said that I can see Chorong unnie expression changing

“what are you guys going to do?” she asked

“I don’t know, probably just go shopping and go out to eat”

“okay. I’m going to go to bed, goodnight” she said, then headed off to her bed.

Is she mad at me for hanging out with someone else? Whatever. I decided to just sleep it off. Hopefully going out with Sojin unnie tomorrow will make this trip better.