Chapter 2

Best Friends or Something More?

Bomi POV

I was having such a good sleep and dream only to be ruined by phone ringing.

“hello?” I groaned sleepily

“yah, it’s noon! Are you still sleeping?” Chorong unnie asked

“no of course not! I’ve been awake since…9” I lied

“ha! The day you wake up at 9 during vacation will be the day I have wings!” Chorong unnie said laughing

“aw unnie I’m not that bad! I can wake up early. Anyways, are you done with practice?”

“yeah, I’m free for the rest of the day! Let’s meet at the café around the corner of Cube Entertainment in 20 minutes, okay?”

“sure!” I said excitedly, a whole day with my best friend! This is going to be great.


After finished getting ready, I called for a taxi and made my way to Cube Entertainment. Once I got off I realized that I don’t know where the café is.

“umm excuse me sir, do you know where’s the closest café is?” I asked a nearby person

“yeah there’s one on that right corner, and another on the left corner” the man said

I thanked the man and started walking towards the right hoping that it’s not the left one. As I got closer to the café I can see Chorong unnie sitting by the window. Even though all I could see were her nose and lips I knew that was my unnie. I went inside and immediately Chorong unnie called me over to sit.

“did you wait long?” I asked

“nope I just got here a while ago, did you find your ways okay?”

“of course, I’m Yoon Bomi! I never get lost,” I said with a proud smile.

Chorong unnie just smile at me. The waitress came took our orders, I was about to order myself, but Chorong interrupted me and ordered for me. I was surprised that she knew what I wanted.

“how’d you know what I wanted?”

“I’m Park Chorong, I know all” Chorong unnie said winking at me

“wow you are so lame,” I said laughing.

The café was pretty busy so the waitress told us that our food might take a while, we didn’t mind. We just kept talking about random stuff when suddenly Chorong unnie’s expression turn serious and I asked her what’s wrong.

“Bbom-ah, there’s something I need to ask, but I don’t want things to change between us, okay?” I nodded my head a little scared of what’s she doing to ask

“I know you’re the skinship type of person, but can you not do skinship towards me? You’re my best friend and little sister, but you know that skinship makes me feel uncomfortable and stuff. I’m sorry. Yesterday I didn’t back away from the hugs and touches was because I really missed you.” Chorong unnie explained.

“don’t worry about it!” I said smiling, “I know you hate skinship so I won’t do it anymore” Chorong unnie kept giving me a guilty look, which only made me feel bad

“unnie, don’t worry! Just because I can’t hug you or hold hands with you doesn’t make me love you any less. You’re still my awesome best friend!”

Chorong unnie smiled and went back to her normal self and we continued on our conversation. Our food finally came and we dug in. Korean food is so good; you can’t get this kind of authentic food back in California. While eating Chorong unnie kept using her phone, she also kept using her phone while we were talking. It didn’t bother me at first, but now it’s starting to. She’d get distracted and then ask me to repeat myself.

“oh gosh Bomi! Hara just asked me to go get lunch with her. We’re both always so busy, I think this is the only time where we can hangout. I’m sorry Bbom-ah, let’s grab dinner together instead, okay?” Chorong unnie said then grabbed her bag and rushed out the door. I was left dumbfounded and still grasping on what happened. I felt a little mad that Chorong unnie totally just ditched me, but I guess it’s somewhat understandable since it’s hard for her and Hara to hangout though. On the other hand it’s harder for her and me to hangout since we live in different countries.  I finished my food and then wrapped up Chorong unnie’s food for her in case she wants to eat later. What am I supposed to do now? I didn’t make any plans because I assumed that I was going to spend the day with Chorong unnie. I started walking on the street of Seoul, I passed by a flower shop and that got me thinking maybe I should go visit EunB and RiSe unnie’s tombstones. I went inside and bought 2 dozens of flower and then called over a taxi.

As we were making our way there I started to think about the car accident. Although I wasn’t close with the both of them, their deaths still affected me. I’ve only met them once and they were just the sweetest people. EunB unnie was bubbly and was super nice, she also had a killer eye smile just like Eunji. RiSe unnie was the nicest person anyone can ever meet. She was friendly and greeted everyone politely and cheerfully. Once we arrived, I thanked the driver and paid him. I made my way to the tombstones and placed the flower gently on each of the tombstone. It felt weird just leaving, so I thought I should say a few words.

“RiSe unnie, EunB unnie, how are you guys up there? Having fun? It must be great to be in heaven and getting to look over everyone. I hope you’re taking good care of your family and the rest of your members. I hope you both know that everyone still misses you a lot. Your deaths have not or ever will be forgotten. Please continue to look over and protect everyone. I will see you both soon when my time comes.”

After that I went back to Apink’s dorm and thought I’d relax there. Only Hayoung was home, the others were either busy or had their own schedule to do. To be honest I always felt a little awkward with Hayoung because even though she’s about 3 years younger than me she is so mature. She’s more mature than me! So when I talk to her I’m always afraid that she would look down on me. Chorong unnie tells me that Hayoung would never think that and says that Hayoung really love me because I’m funny. We decided to watch some tv today and I taught her some English while she helped me fix some of my Korean pronunciations.

“unnie, what are you doing for dinner today?” Hayoung asked

“I’m going to eat out with Chorong unnie, what about you?”

“With Chorong unnie? Are you sure? She just told me that she’s going to have dinner with Bora unnie and Soyou unnie”

“are you sure? She bailed on me for lunch and said she’ll make it up during dinner,” I said getting a little mad

“here let me text her again” Hayoung said taking out her phone and started typing.

About a minute later her phone beeped and then she showed me the text,

Yeah, don’t save me dinner. Bora unnie and Soyou wants to go out, don’t wait up.

“wow that meanie, text back and say ‘I thought you had plans with Bomi unnie’” I said

“what’s in it for me?” Hayoung said smiling smugly

“I’ll buy you dinner tonight” I said glaring at her

“okay sounds good” Hayoung said happily and texted. A couple of minutes later her phone beeped again,

Oh crap! Don’t tell her, okay? I’m going to call her right now and tell her

‘well at least she’ll call and tell me, which is better than not telling me’ I thought to myself. Just then my phone rang and of course it was Chorong unnie.

“hello?” I answered

“hey Bbom-ah, I don’t think I can make our dinner plan tonight” Chorong unnie said sounding sad

“wae? We were suppose to spend today together”

“I’m sorry, but a schedule just came up. If I don’t do it our CEO will be mad” Chorong unnie lied. I felt my heart get stabbed as I listened to her lies

“oh arrasso, have fun then” I said, then I hung up.

Chorong unnie never lie to me before, why would she lie now? I can’t believe she’s bailing on me again. I thought I’d be spending a lot of time with Chorong unnie, but I guess I shouldn’t have expectations.

“come on Hayoung, let’s go get dinner” I said, but due to me being mad, my voice came out a little harsh
“unnie are you okay?” Hayoung asked worriedly

“yeah I’m fine, let’s go, I’m hungry!” I said smiling then grabbing her hand leading her out the door.


We decided to just stop by a restaurant and buy to go. When we went inside and waited for orders, I looked around and saw Chorong unnie, Soyou unnie, and Bora unnie. Great. What are the odds? Hayoung also noticed and was about to call Chorong unnie, but I quickly covered . She gave me a questioning look, but I just shook my head and let her go. I stared back at the table and noticed Chorong unnie being touchy towards them. ‘What the hell? I thought she hates skinship’ I thought. After we got our food I hurried and grabbed it then grabbed Hayoung’s hand and left the place fast. When we got back to the dorm, the others were already there. Good thing I bought a lot of food, without even asking the other just started grabbing food. After eating we all sat by the tv to watch other idols perform. Eunji signaled me to go into Naeun’s bedroom, so I went in while everyone was busy watching the tv. A couple of minutes later Eunji walked in.

“what’s up buddy?” I asked

“you’re the only one I’m comfortable talking this about to, so you better now tell anyone, okay?! Or else” Eunji said shaking her fist

“arrasso, what’s up? By the way your threats aren’t scary at all”

“I don’t know if it’s obvious or not-”

“it is” I interrupted her

“you don’t even know what I was gonna say!”

“you like Naeun, right?”

“yes…” she said quietly

“told ya it’s obvious”

“do you think she knows?” Eunji asked panicking a little

“nah, I just notice things that other people don't. I doubt the others know too”

“okay good! Anyways, I need to ask you for a favor”

“sure, anything for my buddy” I said patting her back

“can you help make Naeun jealous?”

“how?”

“I don’t know, you’re a touchy person, so just like hug me in front of her and do what you do to Chorong unnie, but to me”

“yah Eunji, are you sure you’re not in love with me and only using Naeun as an excuse for me to touch you?” I said winking at her. She took a pillow and smacks me hard causing me to groan in pain.

“first, gross. Second Chorong unnie would kill me if I steal you away from her. Thirdly, will you do it or not?”

“yeah sure, I don’t mind. It’s always nice to help couples get together,” I said

“really? Thanks! You’re the best” Eunji said, then started getting up to go back to the living room

“wait Eunji, let me ask you something”

“hmm?”

“does Chorong unnie do skinship with you guys off camera?”

“yeah, out of the 5 of us she’s the most touchy person ever. She’d randomly give us hugs and kisses us on the cheeks. On weekly idol, during break I told her how she kissed me twice and suddenly she kissed me on the forehead and said ‘3 is lucky’”

‘seriously what the hell? She told me she hates skinship. This morning she told me to stop. What is going on with her?’ I thought

“oh wow I didn’t know she was like that” I said

“really? You’ve known her 15 years and you didn’t know that, wow”

“whatever. Anyways, let’s go back to the living room and make Naeun jealous” I said getting up then put my arm around Eunji.

As we were walking out of the room I whispered ‘pretend I said something funny’ so Eunji started laughing loudly causing everyone to look at us with questioning looks. We made our way towards the couch, and before Eunji had sat next to Naeun, but this time she sat next to me. Naeun looked at Eunji and pouted, but Eunji ignored it. While Naeun was still looking, Eunji slid her fingers into mine and interlocked them. Naeun looked away and I can see in her eyes and expression that she did not like what she was seeing. It was starting to get late and we were going to go out tomorrow, so everyone started to head to bed. It was 12, but Chorong unnie wasn’t home yet. I don’t know if I should stay up and wait for her, or just go to sleep. I still felt a little mad for ditching and lying to me. I decided to just go to sleep.

After 30 minutes of trying to sleep, I was still wide-awake. Just then Chorong unnie came in, I didn’t feel like greeting her so I just pretended to be asleep. I can hear Chorong unnie coming closer to my bed.

“Bbom-ah, are you awake?” she whispered.

I didn’t answer and just continued pretending to be asleep. Chorong unnie then walked to the other side of the bed and lay right beside me. I was surprised because she has her own bed. What she did next surprised me even more; she started to gently put her arms around and snuggled into my back. “Bbom-ah” she said quietly.

‘what are you doing Chorong unnie? You told me not to be touchy towards you because it’s uncomfortable, but you do skinship with other people openly and here you are hugging me while I’m sleeping’ I thought as I drifted off to sleep.