Chapter 3

Best Friends or Something More?

“Bbom-ah…it’s time to wake up”

“5 more minutes” I groaned sleepily

“you can sleep more in the van, come on we gotta get ready” Chorong unnie said pulling me off the bed by my leg. I landed on the ground with the big thump.

“unnie! That really hurt!”

“your fault for not getting up when I said so!”

“you have to kiss here now to make the oo go away” I said pointing to my forehead and saying it in aegyo voice

“you wish” Chorong unnie said starting to leave the room. I followed her and saw that Eunji and Naeun were already there. I thought this was the perfect chance to help make Naeun jealous.

“EUNJI!” I shouted making my way towards her

“what do you want?” Eunji said

“Chorong unnie made me fall off the bed and it hurts. Kiss me here, it really hurts” I said pointing to my forehead. Eunji gave a confusing look at first, but realized what I was trying to do. She leaned in and kissed me on my forehead. I looked at Naeun and Chorong unnie and saw they both looked shocked.

“what?” I asked

“since when was Eunji touchy towards you” Chorong unnie asked

“since always!” Eunji said linking her arm with mine. Naeun gave me a scary glare then walked away.

“well I’m going to go wash up now” I said then walked towards the bathroom passing Chorong unnie, who still looked surprised.

After I finished getting ready we all went down to get in the van. (A/N: just imagine the van seating is like a bus lol) Namjoo and Hayoung went in first, then Eunji went in. Before Naeun could go in, Eunji said, “Bomi! Come sit next to me”

“sure” I said happily

“wait, you’re not sitting with me?” Chorong unnie asked with a sad tone

“no sorry, I want to sit with Eunji” I said a little harsh since I was still mad at her. I went in to sit next to Eunji. Then Naeun sat in the front row with Chorong unnie, but gave me a glare before closing the door.

The car ride was about 3 hours, so we all were trying to sleep or keep ourselves busy by using our phones. Eunji was slowly falling asleep and her head was resting against the window. I felt bad because her neck is going to hurt later on, so I moved her head onto my shoulder. I can see Chorong unnie and Naeun looking through the rearview mirror at what I was doing. I decided to get Naeun more jealous and mad, so I took Eunji’s hand and started playing with her fingers and then interlocking them. Then I rested my head on hers and pretended to go to sleep. After about 10 minutes I was still awake, but I pretended to be asleep so Naeun would be mad that we’re ‘sleeping’ on each other. I felt someone flicking me on the forehead, and when I opened my eyes I saw Naeun shifting back into her seat. ‘Wow she is going to hate me after this’ I thought to myself. After about an hour of the car ride Eunji woke up so I also woke up. We were stopping by a rest stop to stretch our legs. We went inside the little store that they had, this time I went with Chorong unnie because I felt like I was neglecting her too much. I was still mad at her, but I decided to not let it get in the way of my visit because who knows when will be the next time I’ll visit. I linked our arms together, but Chorong unnie took out her arm and just walked beside me. I felt a stab in my heart from her action, ‘is it just my touch that you hate?’ I thought.

We bought some food and sat together to eat. Eunji tried feeding Naeun, but Naeun rejected and said she could feed herself. When Naeun wasn’t looking I can see Eunji giving me a thumb up indicating that the plan is working. Since Naeun rejected, Eunji took the spoon and fed me.

“say ahhh” Eunji said. I gladly opened my mouth and accepted it

“the food always tastes better having someone feed it to me” I said smiling big. Chorong unnie then took her spoon full of food and shoved it roughly in my mouth,

“here does that taste good?” she asked in an angry voice

‘why is she getting mad all of a sudden?’ I just nodded slowly and muttered thanks.

We went back into the van, this time Naeun sat with Eunji and I sat with Chorong unnie. I thought this was good because then I’m able to spend time and talk to Chorong unnie. Of course things never went my way. Chorong unnie got a call from a friend, and throughout the whole ride she was just talking on the phone. I felt really disappointed, sometimes I’d tap on her hoping she would talk to me, but she’d tell me to stop. I really don’t get it. When we talk on the phone or skype she was always chatty and paid attention to me. Ever since I came here, she’s been avoiding me a lot. I though my vacation was going to be like the first day, where Chorong unnie was talking to me and taking care of me. What happened to that unnie? We finally arrived at our destination and got out to go into the hotel. We were deciding on roommates. Usually I wouldn’t even have to think about it, I’d automatically go to Chorong unnie, but I felt really mad at her for ignoring me throughout the whole ride. Usually I’m a laidback person, but the one thing I hate most is being ignored. No matter who it is, if they ignore me I will get mad at them for a bit. I went over to Eunji and asked her if she wanted to be my roommate. She can see that I didn’t want to room with Chorong unnie, so she agreed. Naeun looked really mad about that. Crap. I made a mental note to myself convince Eunji to confess soon otherwise I’m pretty sure the sweet innocent Naeun will kill me.

After I finished unpacking I decided to go out and explore the hotel. As I was walking, someone came and grabbed my arm then dragged me into a quiet hallway. I would have protested, but it was Naeun who was dragging me. ‘oh crap. She’s totally going to kill me’ I thought to myself.

“what is up with you and Eunji unnie?” she asked

“nothing” I said, semi-telling the truth

“really? Because Eunji unnie was only touchy towards me, but now she’s touchy towards you and always wants to be near you. Is there something going on between you two? Don’t you dare lie to me Bomi unnie,” she said the last sentence in a pretty scary tone

“I swear there’s nothing going on between us,” I said rising up my pinky, “I swear”

“alright then…” she said a little uncertain

“Why? Is it possible that a certain son yeosin is jealous?” I said in a teasing tone

“no, why would I be jealous of you?” she said defending herself

“ouch. Fine then, I guess I’ll just keep touching Eunji since you clearly don’t mind”

“n..no don’t” Naeun said right away. I smiled at her response

“you really like her don’t you?”

“I think I love her. What am I supposed to do? I tried everything, but the feelings won’t go away!” Naeun said

“have you uhh you know, try confessing to her and see if she feels the same way?” I said in an obvious tone

“and if she doesn’t feel the same way? Then it’s jut going to be awkward!”

“trust me. Just confess to her, you won’t regret it” I said patting her on the back

“alright…hey by the way what is up with you and Chorong unnie? We all expected you guys to be side by side 24/7, but instead you guys seem so awkward towards each other”

“I don’t even know. I thought we’d constantly be hanging out too, but she keeps bailing on me and ignoring me. Do you know where she is?” I asked

“she said she’s going to visit a friend of hers and won’t be back till later tonight” Naeun answered

“what the f- but we’re leaving tomorrow morning. So she’s not going to hangout with us?”

“I guess not” Naeun said.

This is the first time where I keep getting mad at Chorong unnie. I can’t believe her, after years of not seeing each other she doesn’t try to make time for me at all. Naeun and I decided to go for a swim, to help me cool off, so we went back to our room and changed into our swimwear. The others also joined us; they tried to cheer me up because they knew how excited I was about this trip, but only to end up in disappointment. After swimming we went shopping, it felt really lonely without Chorong unnie. I decided to text her because although I was mad at her, the feeling of missing her was greater.

Unnie, where are you?

 

Sorry Bbom-ah, my friend wanted to meet up with me and I couldn’t say no

 

But we planned this a while ago…): I miss you already

 

I’m sorry :[ but we’re still on for tomorrow, right? I promise I’ll make it up tomorrow! It’ll just be the two of us for the whole day, so look forward to that!

 

Alright, I’ll see you later then! Have fun with your friend.

I guess I’ll just wait till tomorrow to have fun. Tomorrow is my birthday and Chorong unnie promised that we’ll spend the day together, just us. We’re going to go to the amusement park; even though Chorong unnie is scared she said she’s willing to ride some of the rides for me. I’m really excited, a whole day with just Chorong unnie. I guess I can forgive her so tomorrow won’t be awkward. We spent 6 hours shopping. I don’t get what’s so great about shopping; I hate shopping, unless it’s shopping for food. The others wanted to go to other malls, I told them to go and I’m just going to go back to the hotel and rest. I decided to order some food and enjoy it while catching up on my dramas.

After a while the others came barging in my room with a ton of shopping bags. They all laid on the bed and the floor looking exhausted. I ordered some food for them since they were even too tired to do it themselves. After eating and regaining their energy, we all sat around and watch tv. Hayoung, Namjoo, and Naeun all knocked out 10 minutes into the movie. Eunji was trying her best to stay awake.

“Eunji-ah, if you’re tired go to sleep,” I said

“no no, it’s fine. I don’t want you to be up alone” she said giving me a smile

“don’t worry about me! By the way I need our plan should end now” I said

“how come?” she said giving me a confusing look

“because Naeun is mad. While you were sleeping on me during the car ride, she flicked my forehead when I was pretending to be asleep! And she asked me a bunch of questions about what’s going on between us”

“nah you’re lying about Naeun flicking you. She would never hurt a fly”

“yeah right! Have you not seen the glares she’s been giving me?! Dude I’m a little scared of her after the glares” I said sounding a little frighten to exaggerate my sentence

“yeah you’re crazy” Eunji said throwing a pillow at me

“you should confess soon though. I know for sure she likes you,” I said smiling

“do you think I should? When should I confess?” she asked

“tonight!”

“what?! I’m not ready”

“come on! Of course you’re ready, just say ‘Naeun, I love you so much. I know I’m the stupidest, most annoying, mean-” I stopped myself seeing Eunji slowly walking towards me with a pillow, “hey! I’m just trying to help here!” that didn’t stop her. She kept coming forward then started hitting me multiple times and shouting “you. Pabo.” Over and over causing the others to awake.

“what’s going on?” Namjoo asked

“huh? Oh nothing, Eunji is just being a big bully” I said grabbing the pillow away from her

“you started it!” Eunji said acting like a 5 year old

“hey Naeun-ah, do you mind switching room with me? I want to talk to Chorong unnie” I half lied because I do want to talk to Chorong unnie, but also I wanted to make Eunji and Naeun be in the same room so they can confess to each other.

“sure” Naeun said giving me a confusing look. I gave her a wink and made a heart sign, then pointed to Eunji and made a kissing face while the others weren’t looking. Naeun threw a pillow at me to make me stop. Man they really are perfect for each other, so violent and always using a pillow as a weapon.

Around 11 o’clock I moved into Chorong unnie’s room and waited for her. She finally came in and this time I stayed up for her and didn’t pretend to be asleep. Once she walked in, I ran and hugged her.

“unnie!” I said hugging her tighter

“I can’t breath Bbom-ah,” she said trying to push me off. Again, I felt hurt at her trying to push me off. I really wanted to ask her why she’s uncomfortable with my touch, but not with the others, but I didn’t want to make things awkward between us.

“did you have fun today?” I asked

“yeah, it was nice catching up with old friends. I’m going to take a shower, be right back,” she said walking into the bathroom.

I laid on my bed feeling excited for tomorrow. I haven’t been to the amusement park in forever! I’m really excited to ride rides with Chorong unnie because the only rides that we ever rode together were the ferris wheel. Even during that she was scared and kept screaming and hitting me every time I shook the basket. I felt myself slowly drifting off to sleep, when suddenly someone jumped on the bed causing me to open my eyes and became wide awake.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOMI!” Chorong unnie yelled jumping up and down the bed. Then the others came in and jumped on the bed also. I was definitely wide-awake by then. I got up to hug each one of them and thanked them. I didn’t hug Chorong unnie because I knew that she wouldn’t want me to hug her. After we calmed down we sat around and talked a bit. Eunji and Naeun announced that they were together, and Eunji whispered thanks while Naeun was telling the others how it happened. I was feeling really happy for them. Now I have to find Chorong unnie a boyfriend so she can be happy too. We stayed and talked until 3, the others went back to their room because we had to wake up at 6 to go back to Seoul. I felt so tired that right after the others left I knocked out. I slept with a smile on my face because I was excited for tomorrow.