Chapter 1

Best Friends or Something More?

Bomi POV

I woke up right as the plane had landed. I’m feeling really excited because this was my second time in Korea. Also I’m going to see my best friend today! I haven’t seen her in months due to her busy schedule. It’s really hard to be best friends with a Korean idol. My best friend is Park Chorong, the leader of a girl group called Apink. We’ve been friends since I was 5 because our dads were best friends back in their days. We were always by each other sides, but were separated when I moved to California at the age of 11. We still kept in contact with each other and remained best friends since. We rarely see each other though because Chorong unnie is always busy with practice or traveling to perform. This is one of the rare occasions where I can visit her since I’m on summer vacation and she’s on break for a bit. After getting off the plane I called for a taxi because I knew Chorong unnie wouldn’t be able to pick me up since her fans might recognize her.

Once I got to the apartment I pressed in the passcode and walked in. It was completely dark, but in a blink of my eye the lights and Chorong unnie and the other members all shouted surprised and came to greet me. Although this was my second time seeing the other members again, we were all comfortable with each other. I happily hugged each of them, I purposely hugged Chorong unnie last because I wanted to hug her the longest.

“how was your flight?” Chorong unnie asked

“it was good, I slept through the whole thing”

“definitely expected from Bomi unnie” Hayoung said smiling. I just stuck out my tongue at her

“we’re about to go out to eat, do you want to come? Or do you want to sleep more” Chorong unnie asked

“I’ll go with you guys, can’t say no to food!” I said earning a laugh from everyone. Chorong unnie came and put her arms around my shoulder. I was feeling happy because Chorong unnie doesn’t like skinship or ever initiate it. This was hard for me because I was always the touchy type. When we were kids, whenever we were walking somewhere I’d always try to hold Chorong unnie’s hands, but she never hold mine back or she would tell me to stop. It hurt at first, but I’ve gotten used to it and sometimes I would still do it to just annoy her. We got into a van and because I wasn’t used to a van being so covered up I kept looking around and touching everything.

“Bbom-ah! Are you 5? Stop touching everything and sit still” Chorong unnie said slapping my hand every time I tried to touch something.

“Bomi has only been here for 10 minutes and she’s already getting scolded by Rongmama” Eunji said making fun causing the others to laugh

“yah, Jung Eunji, I bet you get scolded everyday” I said back sticking out my tongue.

As the driver started to drive, I discretely slid my hand onto Chorong unnie’s and I interlocked our fingers. Surprisingly she didn’t reject it, but squeezed my hand and smiled at me. I need to take an advantage of today because Chorong unnie is being nice.


While waiting for our food to arrive we started to catch up on what’s been happening.

“so Bomi unnie, what do you plan to do during your stay?” Namjoo asked

“nothing much really, I want to meet up with other people and catch up with them. I’m mostly going to spend my time with my beloved best friend though” I said winking at Chorong unnie

“gross, who wants to spend time with you?” Chorong unnie said sticking out her tongue

“wow unnie,” I said pouting, “fine I’ll leave then!” I started getting up only to be pulled back down by unnie.

“I’m just kidding Bbom-ah, I can’t wait to finally spend time with you!” Chorong unnie said, and hugged me tightly.

Right then the food arrived and we all dig in. I thought it was really cute how Eunji kept feeding Naeun. Sometimes I wonder if they were secretly a couple or liked each other. Eunji would always stare at Naeun and always tries to be around her, while Naeun is talkative and more outgoing when Eunji is around. I really think they’re the perfect couple, as they always say, opposite attracts. I sometimes wonder which team Chorong unnie plays for because she never seems to be interested in any guys or girls. Although we’re best friend I guess it’s a topic that is hard to bring up. As for me, I swing for both teams. I don’t care about genders; I care more about how they make me feel. If they care for me and love me unconditionally and also make my heart race then they’re the one.

“Chorong unnie say ahhh” I said holding a spoonful of food

“no thanks, I should be the one feeding you! Look at the stains on your shirt. Aiish Bomi, you’re so messy!” Chorong unnie said, then grabbed a napkin and dipped it in water. She then started wiping my shirt to get rid of the stain. I smiled at the sight because even though Chorong unnie is only a year older than me she’s like my second mom. She always takes such good care of me and always set me on the right path.

“Thanks Rongmama!” I said smiling cheekily, and then I leaned in and kissed her on the cheek. Again, surprisingly, she didn’t flinch back or hit me on the head like she usually does.

“Rong unnie is being strangely nice today” Hayoung said

“yeah, this is weird…” Eunji said

“hey! I’m always nice!” Chorong said defending herself.

After we ate we decided to go shopping. Luckily it was in the afternoon on a weekday so there weren’t much people. We couldn’t all shop together because we were scared that fans might recognize Apink so we separated. I was shopping alone with Chorong unnie, which I really didn’t mind. She kept offering to buy me things, but I kept rejecting. My mom died giving birth to me so I didn’t have a motherly figure growing up. Chorong unnie had decided that she was going to be my best friend and my mom. She was constantly worried about me when I was in California, so she would try to call or skype as much as she can. I always felt appreciative towards unnie.

“unnie, you know I can buy my own thing, right? I have a job back in California and it pays really well so I’m pretty stable” I said turning down her offer for the millionth time

“I know, but it’s really hard to act like a big sister through technologies. So since you’re here I want to spend all my time with you and spoil you nonstop!”

“thanks unnie, but I’m fine. You should worry about yourself! I’ve been meaning to ask, unnie you’re not getting any younger when are you going to find a boyfriend?” I asked in a light tone so she would not get mad at the fact that I just called her old

“you’re getting old too! Why don’t you get yourself a boyfriend?” Chorong unnie shot back

“I do have a boyfriend,” I said smiling, even though I was just kidding

“w-what? Since when? Yah! I thought I was your best friend, why didn’t you tell me?!” Chorong unnie bombarded me with questions

“haha unnie, relax I was just kidding!” I said laughing, only to earn a flick on the forehead from unnie.

After shopping we all went back to the dorm to relax. It was already 9 at night, although they were technically on break, Apink still had to practice for their future comeback. Almost all of them went straight to be because they had to get up at 4 in the morning. I truly felt bad for them and also have tremendous respect for them. I mean sure it’s nice to be a celebrity, following your dream, and doing something that you love, but they lose so much sleep and is always constantly practicing. They also have to live with the fact that they have immature haters, whose goals are to put them down. I headed into Chorong unnie’s room since I’ll be sleeping there during my visit. I’m pretty Naeun and Eunji was happy about me staying in Chorong unnie’s room because Eunji was her roommate, but since I needed a bed Eunji went to sleep with Naeun since she has a room to herself. Chorong unnie was just sitting in her bed reading a Japanese book trying to learn some Japanese. I went and sat beside her and hugged her.

“thanks for today! It’s only the first day and I already had a lot of fun.” I said hugging her tighter.

“Bbom-ah, I really missed you!” Chorong unnie said returning the embrace

“unnie, are you crying? Why are you crying?!” I asked worriedly

“I’m okay, I’m just glad you’re here. You’re the only person who I can truly open up about everything. So just having you here already took away half of my stress, these are tears of joys”

“aww unnie! You’re such a baby,” I said lightening up the mood. Chorong unnie slapped my arm and started laughing and smiling

“I’m gonna go to sleep since I have to wake up early tomorrow. Do you have any plans tomorrow? Let’s grab lunch together, just the two of us” Chorong unnie said

“alright, sounds great!” I said.

Chorong unnie laid on her bed, while I went to brush my teeth and get ready for bed. By the time I finished and went out of the bathroom Chorong unnie was already asleep snoring quietly. ‘I’m glad to be by your side again’ I thought to myself.