6

Red

She watched as he froze at her words before she even thought about what she had said. Instantly flustered, she stammered awkwardly, trying to explain herself.

“What I meant was that uh…think…uh…you’re…” she cursed mentally “nice?”

His expression didn’t change much as his face paled further and his breath seemed uneven. Hyeji blinked as she reached over and placed her hand on his face. He flinched under her touch, trying very hard to ignore his instincts.

“You have a fever.” She mumbled, as his fingers reached up and gripped at her wrist.

“I’m fine.” He growled as he yanked her hand away from him feeling this breath pick up further when her eyes fixed themselves on him. Her scent was even more powerful now as she spun around, sticking her hand into the backpack she had slung on. Another powerful whiff of scent hit his nostrils, sending him reeling as she pulled out a thermos.

“Coffee. I don’t have anything else that’s warm.” She mumbled as she handed the thermos to him. His eyes pierced her soul as she urged him to take the thermos “I haven’t poisoned it. I know you need it more than I do.”

An inquisitive sniff later, he took a hesitant sip of the beverage which filled his mouth with a rich taste he hadn’t tasted in years. The caffeine kick starting his brain as he took another hasty sip feeling the warmth flood him. He downed the rest of it with relish as she laughed, watching him with great amusement.

“I can get you more if you like,” She chuckled as his eyes shot back up to look at her face. He sighed and set the thermos on the leaf covered ground “or since you seem to not like me around I can tell you where you can get it.”

He was sweating now. The sky was slowly getting darker and her scent was starting to get stronger. The adrenaline was pumping through his veins as her eyes fixed themselves on him. He heard her breaths, the last one leaving her lips in a sigh as she reached over and grabbed his hand.

“I’m sorry, but you really look unwell. I really can’t leave you like this.” She gently tugged at him.

“You have to leave.” The sound was hoarse as it left his lips, he could hear his heart beat in his ears, hers joined his, throbbing, but much calmer as a determined expression graced her face.

“Leo.” Her voice was firm as he felt his blood throb and his head get dizzy. No, now was a bad time for this to happen as he tried to yank his hand away from her. Only the rush of blood and the attack on his senses from all sides sent him reeling and tumbling forwards.

His eyes locked with hers as they widened at their proximity, his senses were on over drive as the heard her heartbeat racing and her scent filling his brain. Her eyes flitted over his heated face as her hand shakily reached up to gently brush away the long locks of hair which hung over his forehead before pressing the back of her palm against it. Her voice came out in a whisper as her breath fanned over his face. Her eyebrow raised gently as an amused smirk spread across her lips.

“Do you really think I’m going to leave now?”

“It’s not safe.” He breathed as the scent of coffee wafted its way into her nostrils.

“Well, I can’t leave anyway since I’m not in the position to do so,” she laughed indicating to how he had landed right on top of her “can you stand up?”

Leo scrambled to his feet flustered and feeling dizzy yet again as she quickly grabbed hold of his hand before he could run off and leave or even stumble.

“I’ll walk you back to wherever you stay and leave, alright?” her voice was firm as he turned towards her, resisting the urge to knock her down again. The stark red at the ends of her hair was now slowly changing colour in his eyes as he mentally cursed, why was she so persistent?

“Quick.” Was the only thing he said before leading the way.


Feel free to whack me for being a terrible writer.