10

Red

“Hyeji!” Hongbin greeted her causing her to jam her fingers on the brakes and the bicycle to come screeching to a halt. He grinned as he walked over, a sly grin taking over his lips “you’re red.”

“That’s what people call me silly.” She rolled her eyes, hopping off the bicycle and getting in pace with him as he walked beside her.

“Jaehwan is back, got his stitches removed.” Hongbin announced as Hyeji turned to him with a smile.

“That’s good news. I’ll drop by when I’m done with this delivery.”

“I’ll come along, I’ve been wanting to meet that bugger for a while.” Hongbin smiled fondly at the thought of Jaehwan. Hyeji didn’t have too many deliveries to make as they headed around the village and then towards Jaehwan’s house. The bubbly Jaehwan appeared to be standing by the window when he spotted them and waved wildly before disappearing and rushing out of the house.

“Binnieee! Hyejiiji!” he exclaimed as he hurtled towards them as they laughed greeting him with unequal enthusiasm, simply because no one could be as enthusiastic as Lee Jaehwan. Once they had been dragged in and had been supplied with sufficient snacks by Jaehwan’s mother, the chatter began.

“Well, I’m not sure what hit me actually,” Jaehwan spoke with a mouthful of cookie “the last thing I remember seeing was long hair and pale skin actually. And deadly red eyes.” He shuddered as Hyeji froze.

“Red eyes?” she asked as Jaehwan nodded.

“Well, vaguely they looked red, I passed out actually. So it could all be in my head.” He shrugged as Hyeji took a look at her watch before standing up from her seat.

“I’d better get going, it’s getting late.” She mumbled, as Hongbin looked at her, worried as she smiled back at him.

“It’s fine. I should get going. It’s nearly seven. You stay here. I’ll take the safe path if that’s what you’re worried about.” She grinned as Hongbin looked visibly relieved.

***
“I heard something today.” She whispered causing his head to perk up and his dark eyes gaze at her from his position beside her. Strands of red hair curled over onto the dark fabric of his shoulder as her heady scent created a warmth in his chest. His inquisitive eyes met hers as she lifted her head off his shoulder, a position he found comfort in. He felt her breath as her lips parted and the words left them.

“There was someone there when Jaehwan was mauled.”

Leo’s brain fell into a flurry of thoughts as he shifted away from Hyeji, eyes still not unlocking. Her fingers reached out to gently touch his hair.

“He said that the person had long hair,” Her fingers were warm against his cheek where they rested for a mere second “pale skin,” her eyes stared straight at him “and red eyes.”

His eyes widened as his breath picked up. This was not okay, he needed to silence her as soon as he could before she said it. Before she found out the horror he was, the truth he had wanted to hide desperately from her. He watched as she tilted her head, eyes still on him as she pursed her lips.

“I’m not going to pry on what happened, but I was told by the village doctor that a person with the same description as that brought Jaehwan to the hospital before disappearing.” 

He let a breath of air escape his lips, looking down before looking back up at her.

“I’m glad it was you Leo, you do have a heart even if you deny its existence.” She smiled as his hands reached for hers and grasped at it.

“If only you knew Hyeji. How horrible I am.” He whispered, freezing when her arm wound around him and her chin rested on his shoulder.

“I’d like you anyway. So you can tell me when you want to about whatever you feel like you’ve done wrong.” She smiled when she felt him return the hug, burying himself into her shoulder and she ruffled his hair. For once he felt at peace. 


I'm sorry I took so long :( got really caught up with college and barely have time for anything.

 

Thanks for reading! <3

 

Ryukai