3

Red

Her sharp intake of breath resounded through the woods. Hyeji was certan her heartbeat could be heard by the man standing in from of her and that he could sense the panic she felt picking up in her veins.

“I have.” She said, fingers reaching for the pepper spray can in her pocket. Leo raised his eyebrow at her before turning around.

“I wouldn’t mace me if I were you. I am the only one who knows the way to the village from here.”

Hyeji let out and uncomfortable laugh as her fingers still gripped onto the cold metal can in her pocket. “How can I tell if you aren’t going to kill me?”

Leo halted suddenly as her bicycle came in contact with him as his lips twitched with amusement.

“Think about it, I’d have killed you earlier if I had to, we’ve already passed the densest parts of the woods.” His voice was a whisper, soft and melodious. Hyeji was convinced he would make a delightful singer, expect his voice would sound deadly if he was the last thing she heard before she died. Her eyes darted to his face, down the strong arms and long fingers that could be wrapped around her neck, squeezing till she couldn’t breathe.

“Down this path, you should reach the centre of the village.” His voice graced her ears again. There was a pause as she blinked at the man before her. The village could clearly been seen in the distance. The sound of twigs breaking made her spin around to see Leo turning to leave and she called out to him.

“Thank you! And I’m sorry!” she watched as he paused for a second, almost like he was acknowledging what she said before melting into the darkness of the woods.

Hyeji was quick to deliver the parcels in the village and was greeted with great joy. It had been a while since she had been to the village and greeting people she knew was almost an imperative after delivering the parcels. But all the while she simply couldn’t shake off the memory of the man from the woods. Her eyes kept darting towards it.

“You know Red, it’s beautiful but it’s not very safe.” A voice piped up beside her as she spun around to be greeted by a dimpled smile.

“Hongbin! It’s been forever!” she grinned at the man with the camera around his neck. He had left the village to go to college. She had practically grown up with him. “When did you get back? How long are you here?”

“I’ll be here for about two months. Just got done with a year of college,” He replied “were you here on a delivery?” he leaned against the picket fence she had rested her bicycle on. She nodded, her eyes inadvertently shifting towards the woods before quickly shifting back to Hongbin.

“Well, if you’re planning on taking the path to the city through the woods, I’m accompanying you.” Hongbin seemed to read her mind.

“It’s fine you know, I came here through the woods.” She turned to her friend as he rolled his eyes.

“Which was why Jaehwan was mauled when he went in there.”

“What?” she blinked as Hongbin nodded “Jaehwannie got mauled?” she panicked as Hongbin placed a hand on her shoulder.

“He’s been discharged from the hospital. He can’t remember what mauled him and to be honest I can’t imagine what could have done that to him.”

“But is he alright?” Hyeji stared at Hongbin wide eyed.

“The damage wasn’t very bad,” Hongbin sighed, his eyes travelling over the length of the woods which surrounded the village “I think he was shocked more than anything else. His back was bleeding.”

Hyeji nodded blankly, wondering what on earth could have attacked Jaehwan as Hongbin pushed away from the fence.

“It’s going to get dark, it think we should start moving,” he raised his hand as Hyeji opened to tell him she would be fine, her mind instantly going back to Leo “I’m not taking no as an answer.”

“Alright,” she smiled “then you must stay for dinner and go back by the night bus.”

Hongbin smiled as they both began to make their way to the woods. It wasn’t a long walk, the green was quick to greet them as they exchanged pleasant conversation. But something felt off, particularly for Hyeji. She sensed that they were being watched and when she turned to the left, she spotted the cat-like eyes for a mere second before they vanished.

“I must be dreaming.” she thought to herself as she walked alongside Hongbin.