12

Red

Leo was taken aback when Hyeji caught hold of his hand with a grin on her face, he looked up to see that there was no bicycle with her.

“It’s my day off, I’m going to spend it with you.”

“So why are you tugging at my hand?” he looked down at her hand in his, attempting to pull him up from his seated position outside his cabin. She simply quirked her eyebrow at him, tugging yet again as he sighed, standing up noting how she didn’t let go of his hand even after he did. His fingers wove themselves between hers.

“Will you trust me and come with me to the town?” she slowly asked, halting at turning to look him straight in the eye “we will not go unless you want to.” Leo lurched, almost bumping into her as he steadied himself. He had gone to the village every now and then for supplies, but never with someone, he had watched the city from afar never daring to set foot in it. Here she was, asking him if he wanted to accompany her to the town.

“All we’ll be doing is going grocery shopping, and making a meal back at home. My parents aren’t in, so I’ll be cooking. But, like I said, if you don’t want to, we can always stay here.”

“No,” his grip tightened “we’ll go.” It was a risk he was taking, but it wasn’t like the full moon was close by. The comforting warmth of her hand in his reassured him as she pulled him towards the path she had come from. He could see the little smile on her face as she slowed down, walking alongside him.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve been to town,” He whispered, knowing she was listening “I can’t remember the last time I went.”

Hyeji smiled, looking at him “then let’s make this a nice time so you’ll come back.” Descending down the slope towards the town, Hyeji led the way towards the grocers. Leo followed silently, watching the changing landscape around him from the cool woods to the sun-lit city. Hyeji looked as comfortable in both her surroundings, halting when she reached a colourful shop with neatly stacked groceries outside leading inwards. Leo eyed the items watching the strands of red hair disappear behind a stack.

“What would you like to have for lunch?” her voice could be heard over the stack of boxes of pasta as Leo headed towards her. He reached over to pull a box out and tap her head with it.

“Do you know how to make rose pasta?” he asked, his mind whirring as he remembered the rich taste that brought him great happiness in the past. She looked up at the box of pasta in his hand, reaching for it as their fingertips brushed and she grinned.

“Sure do!”

Leo headed over to the vegetable section looking for mushrooms and tomatoes, his eyes still fixed on Hyeji who fluttered around, collecting ingredients. Suddenly halting at an aisle, and looking down and to the side. Something about her expression made Leo suspect that something was wrong. Picking up the ingredients, he walked over to see a man standing in the same aisle with a smirk on his face. Even his scent was off putting as he grinned at Hyeji.

“When are you finally going to chop that hair off? That’s been enough attention seeking. You’ll never land a…” he paused, watching Leo steadily making his way towards Hyeji holding the ingredients up.

“I’ve got the ingredients, shall we get moving?” he dropped the ingredients in the basket she had in her hands, taking it from her and reaching for her hand before leading her away. The man was no longer grinning. Hyeji turned to Leo with wide eyes as he dropped the basket at the cashier counter.

“Thanks.” She mumbled, as he gave her hand a comforting squeeze. Picking up the groceries, she turned to him, her mood seemed to have returned.

“You ready?”

The road to Hyeji’s house wasn’t far, but they walked slowly. Leo opened his mouth again.

“What was all that about?”

“Old school bully,” She mumbled, as he walked closer to her “you know how it is, if you try anything different, you get picked on. If you aren’t the conventional beauty, you get picked on.”

He wanted to reassure her just like she had with him, but the words wouldn’t come out. He watched her unlocked the door and push it open to let him in. Soon the pasta was on the boil and they both stood by the cutting board, preparing the other ingredients.

“How come rose pasta?” she asked. He stopped slicing the mushroom inhaling.

“My parents used to make it. I remember it very clearly.” He said as she nodded in response eyeing the red strands of her hair that curled down her shoulders wondering, what if it was a moment of attention seeking, just to make up for her ordinary looks. Nothing was missed by Leo, not a single look.

“I can always make it for you.” She said, picking up the ingredients and heading towards the saucepan. Leo crossed over and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Just don’t think about what he said.”

Hyeji remained silent as they tipped the cooked pasta into the sauce, mixing them together. Leo eyed the expression in her face, taking a deep breath of her scent, reminding himself that this was the one thing that make him calm and hyperaware at the same time. Shifting away, he watched her serving the pasta into two dishes and turning back to him with a smile.

“I’m sorry I’m letting that effect me.” She said, handing him the dish with steaming hot pasta, the smell which brought him a great sense of comfort. Leaning against the counter, they ate, not bothering sitting at the table as she stole mushrooms from his plate and he fought her off with his fork.

 He dug in quickly as she laughed, watching him wolf down the food as she began eating as well. The dishes were empty pretty soon and Leo found himself looking more and more at Hyeji’s face. Why on earth would someone not find comfort in it? The constant warmth and the smiles, the persistence, and the strong heart. That scent which was so typically hers.

“Leo, is everything okay?” her voice flowed into his thoughts and he saw those tender eyes looking straight at him again. He shook his head.

“I was thinking about how that guy was wrong. I think you’re beautiful, inside out.” The words escaped him as he set his plate back on the counter. He could see the red flooding her cheeks in delight as she looked down before looking back up into his dark intense eyes with a wide smile.

“You’re so sweet I could kiss you.” She laughed resting her head against his arm, his heart rate quickened, feeling her warm body against his side.

“Could I?” he said lowly as she turned to meet his eyes with a slight frown indicating her confusion.

“Could you?” she asked.

“Could I kiss you?”


*covers face* I'm sorry.

Consent is important ladies and gentlemen.