14

Red

He was out of breath and his fingers clutched at his chest as he heaved, taking large gulps of air tainted with the scent of blood. Shaking with adrenaline, his eyes fell on the body of the creature now lying dead on the ground with its blood on his hands. Leo couldn’t particularly identify the mangled thing in front of him anymore but he was certain he couldn’t sense the same danger he did any more.

He sighed, leaning down to pick up the furry creature and hauling it over his shoulder before walking away to dispose it.

The things he did out of duty.

But what about Hyeji? Her worried face floated before his eyes as he disposed the carcass in a ditch. Should he go back? Explain the hurried rushing away? With all those blood on his hands? Leo found himself taking the usual path towards a small stream deep in the woods which was the only source of water there.

“Leo?”

He froze when an all too familiar voice caught his ear and he spun around to stand face to face with Hyeji panting with a tear on the sleeve of her shirt and a dusty face. Her eyes trailed over his face and down to his blood covered hands widening in horror as she took a step towards him.

“Are you alright?! You ran suddenly and I just couldn’t keep up.” She began rambling, reaching over to grab hold of his wrists to inspect him not bothering how the blood got onto her hands as well. It almost matched the disarrayed strands of hair that was hanging down her shoulders. Leo pulled his hands away as she looked up at him, confused. A look which caused him pain. He couldn’t tell her, not just yet. He wanted to hold onto the few moments of happiness he had.

“I heard an animal cry…” he mumbled as he watched her visibly calm down as she wearily said.

“I was worried,” He found her head buried in his chest as she leaned against him “what kind of animal was this?”

There was a moment of silence as he revelled in her scent and rested his chin on top of her head.

“A deer. Didn’t make it.” He mumbled, remembering the bared teeth of the actual creature which resembled a rabid wolf whose life he had just ended.

“Oh,” he felt her breath against his skin before she moved away, she looked a little upset “if only we could have saved it,” her eyes fell on his hands again “let’s get you cleaned up now.” He looked at her confused expression, understanding that she had no idea where she was. She heard him laugh and nod in a direction, indicating to follow.

She followed without question and that thought scared him. She trusted him and he couldn’t even tell her the truth. He found himself staring at her as the sight of the stream caused a large smile to bloom on her lips as she turned to him with a huge grin, grabbing hold of his hand and leading him towards the water. He remained expressionless as she dipped her hands in the water shuddering at how cold it is and washing off what little blood was on her palms before turning towards Leo, watching his glazed over eyes.

He was snapped out of his daze as cold water was splashed onto his face causing him to turn towards the devilish smile thrown at him as he shook his head, washing his hands before turning around to splash water back on Hyeji who giggled and attempted to escape and splash him to ice cold water again causing a laugh to escape his lips and echo through the woods and her rushed over to chase her.

Of course he couldn’t throw away this happiness for the truth.