5

Red

It was the scent of incense that brought him to his senses as he rolled off the mattress carelessly tossed on the wooden floor. Dragging his fingers through his hair he stood up, tensing when he felt a new burst of adrenaline coursing through his veins. His ear twitched as he pushed the wooden door of his make-shift cabin open. No one should be in the woods at this time. It was a full moon night and the people of the town and village avoided the woods like the plague fearing wolves.

So why was the smell of incense wafting its way towards him?

Picking up his pace, he sped towards the source of the smell and was greeted by a flash of red and a soft curse. His eyes fell on her as she hovered over a small shrine clutching onto her hand as the embers from the incense sparked and landed on her skin. He could smell her now, she had a unique scent which mixed with the incense as his toes curled and his eyes shut. The slight scent of burnt skin mingled with it.

She jumped when he crouched next to her and grasped at the pricking skin.

“Leo.” Her eyes were wide as they placed themselves on the long locks of hair before trailing over his leonean features and landing on his eyes which had fixed themselves on her red skin.

“What are you doing here?” he whispered at her skin, carefully releasing a puff of air on it, resisting his natural instincts watching her gape at him embarrassed. Her skin was still red as she mumbled something about finding the shrine during her last visit and wanting to pay her respects.

“It’s nearly full moon, you should stay away.” He rasped out as she gently pulled her hand away from his before pressing her lips to the prickling area soothing it as he watched. She looked up at him and the scent hit his nostrils again.

“I haven’t encountered any wolves Leo,” She chuckled “I’ve only encountered you…and the experience hasn’t really been frightening at all.”

He was taken aback by the genuine smile on her face as her eyes turned into crescents. He couldn’t bring himself to mislead her with his appearance.

“What if…” he began watching as she paid close attention to him “what if I’m the one you should keep away from?” he watched as she looked at him skeptically, her eyebrow slowly raising as she let out a short laugh.

“You sound like you came out of one of those romance novels.”

Leo’s face continued to remain stoic as she looked at him again. The red of her hair strikingly contrasting the black of the hoodie she had donned. He could hear the steady beat of her heart as she placed a hand on his knee steadying herself, not knowing how his skin burned under her touch.

“By that you’re going to have to be a little more specific about why I should keep away from you.”

“I’m not safe…for people.”

“Do you have a communicable disease?” she asked point blank as his eyes widen and he shakes his head.

“?”

Another shake of his head.

“Murderer?”

“No, I’m just not safe. You have to stay away.” He said, mildly frustrated as her hand gently patted his knee. His eyes shot up to meet hers yet again to see a determined look as a flash of heat took over him. He shuddered, hoping she would leave soon enough before something happened.

“Listen Mr. Big Bad Wolf, I happen to like you. So staying away is going to be a problem.”


Hello to all my new subscribers, thank you for subscribing and reading :)

So what do you think is going on?

- Ryukai