17

Red

She woke up to his heartbeat under her ear and his chin resting on top of her head. He was still asleep as his arm lay loosely around her waist. Hyeji eyed his gently parted lips as he exhaled, the night before had been tumultuous for sure, Leo had been all over the place – forceful, gentle, terrified even. Sure, she was baffled by his behaviour, but he had promised to explain it just like she had promised to be understanding. Hyeji was known to be impatient, but for some reason, she wanted to be patient for him.

She felt him stir when she shifted in his arms; his dark eyes fluttering open to look at her face. There is a gentle smile on his face as she reached up to caress his cheek. His eyes trailed down her face to the bruised skin on her neck and suddenly everything that had happened the night before came straight back into his mind.

Leo felt Hyeji bury her head in his chest, almost like she was delighted as she pressed herself against him to hug him and he shuddered as he held her close, trying to sear her figure into his memory. Pulling away, he began.

“This is probably the last time you’ll see me,” he watched her face fall as he took a deep breath, hands reaching to hold her face tenderly “but this is important, and I need you to know who I am and what I am capable of doing.”

Hyeji looked at the man who gazed back at her. He looked hesitant, but the words that came out of his mouth confused her even further.

“Do you believe in curses? Magic?” he asked her, watching her face contort into one of disbelief.

“What are you getting at Leo?” she asked, shifting away from him only to look him straight in the eye. Leo sat up, not breaking her gaze. He knew this was going to be difficult, but he was hoping she would understand. Taking a look at her defensive stance, he sighed.

“I’m the wolf of the woods.”

The disbelief turned into pure confusion as she looked at him for an explanation. Leo gulped, trying to swallow the lump that was forming in his throat. He wasn’t sure how she would handle the information that was to follow.

“I’m the person who hurt your friend, the dangerous person who ravaged the woods, the wolf that has been keeping everyone away from the woods. I’ve been cursed with vulpine attributes and wild blood that will stay with me through my life…which will aggravate every full moon.” He looked down before looking back up at Hyeji who gaped at him with open, trying to process the information overload.

“You’re a wolf…” she asked, her eyebrow quirking, not sure if he was joking “like a werewolf?”

Leo sensed the amusement in her voice and didn’t know what to make of it, it reminded him of the past, he had been warned about this. Hyeji looked at him, still vaguely bemused but she remembered the night before.

“Last night…was a full moon,” She bit her lip, as his eyes fell on the hickey on her neck and he nodded. Maybe she was doing the math in her head, he watched her eyes widen as she remembered every time he got forceful and violent “but…they say that the moon affects the patients in the psych ward… maybe we should get you help?” she said as Leo balked at the sudden turn of events. She thought he was insane.

“Do I seem insane to you?” he growled as she looked back at him.

“I really don’t know what to make of your sudden bizarre announcement that you’re a wolf.”

“I’m cursed!” he spat as she frowned.

“And I’m a logical human! What do you want me to do when you say something like that?!” she yelled back. Yes, she was confused, parts of what he said made sense. But who believed in magic and the supernatural?

“I wanted you to understand.”  He whispered, as she looked back at him, still very upset.

“I’m trying!” she exclaimed as Leo glared back at her only to see confused tears now springing in her eyes. “You’re telling me all these things and then you’re saying that you’re leaving!” the tears welled in her eyes as Leo felt his heart break. She found herself in his arms as he held her close.

“I don’t know any better way to explain my predicament. But I know this is dangerous, and I want to keep you safe.”

“I don’t understand,” She shook her head in his chest “I really don’t. I want to, but I don’t!” she looked up with parted lips as tears streamed down her cheeks. It was heart wrenching. Leo found himself leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead only to have her lips against his.

It was urgent, messy, and full of tears as she gripped at him before he pulled away, tugging at her lip before kissing her again. He breathed, finally sighing and realizing it was time.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered, running his fingers through her hair for the last time and pulling away from the confused girl before heading away to the window, not looking at her.

This was goodbye.


I'm sorry it has been a while. Things have been rather hectic. 

I've been contemplating this chapter for a while, but this is what it has come to.

Thanks <3

Ryukai