4

Red

It was difficult for her to stay away from the woods. Summer meant a lot more deliveries and the route through the woods even though Hyeji was told to take the longer route away from the woods. She couldn’t help but go back in search of the mysterious man in the woods. There was something about him, she couldn’t put her finger on what exactly, that made her want to see him again.

Another perk about riding through the woods in the summer was finding her favourite berries growing there for her to pick. They were wild mulberries, in a deep, dark red growing from bushes that spilled over the path in the woods. For most part Hyeji would stop to pick a few and take them with her, but never had enough time to collect much. 

Pedaling through the dank leaf covered path on her way back home, she halted when she saw a vaguely familiar broad build crouching over the dark bushes. Her fingers slid over the brakes as the cycles halted and the figure was quick to turn around. Those flashing eyes stared at hers intensely, she felt her breath hitch as a weak smile perked her lips up.

“Leo.” She whispered, her eyes fixing themselves on the basket of mulberries grasped in his hand. He stiffened when their eyes met again watching her lips twitch as she tried to form words to say to him. Hyeji was surprised when the basket was extended filled with gleaming mulberries.

“How did you know I liked these?” she blurted out as he simply pointed to her face.

“You have a mulberry stain on your face.”

Hyeji turned red in embarrassment. In a futile attempt to wipe it off, she nearly missed Leo placing the basket on her bike and turning to leave. Her head shot up to the receding figure as she called out his name and he halted for just a second, turning around to meet her eyes yet again. She breathed out again, a breath she didn’t know she was holding.

“I can’t eat all these by myself…” she began shyly as his blank expression didn’t seem to change at all. She took slow steps towards him, getting into his eyes.

“Would you like to share some with me?” she breathed out as the dark indifferent orbs flickered just for a second as they travelled over her face. His tongue gently ran over his dry lips as she grasped at the basket.

“You do know that the woods aren’t safe.” His voice was hoarse.

“I know, but you’re here.” She grinned, but his gaze didn’t waver.

“What makes you think I’m safe?” his figure loomed over her but she stood her ground, reaching for a berry in the basket and pressing it against his lips.

“Here, have a mulberry.”

She felt his sigh against her fingers as his lips engulfed the berry. His eyes didn’t leave hers as he still looked at her questioningly. Hyeji simply rolled her eyes.

“You guided me to the village safely, why wouldn’t I trust you?” she offered him the basket of berries while nodding to a space for them to sit down at. At first he looked hesitant, but when she tugged at his jacket, he silently followed her to settle down beside her under a tree. The basket was placed between them as a silence filled the air. Their hands met in the basket as they both reached for the fruit and she was quick to retract her hand on instinct as he slowly picked up the berry and gently bit into it, staining his lips in the process.

“I’m assuming you’ll want to talk.” He said suddenly surprising her as she turned towards him and shook her head.

“No, not unless you want to.” She laughed as he turned toward her, his eyes wider than usual as she leaned back against the tree sighing and reaching into the basket. She took a peek at the man beside her again as he guzzled at the berries.

“Hey Leo,” he turned towards her as she resisted the urge to laugh “your lips look like candy.”

For the first time in her life, she saw his eyes widening as he swiftly turned away, trying to hide his burning cheeks.

That was an image she would never forget.


Sorry for the ridiculously delayed update!

I'm on my summer break now, so expect updates ^^

- Ryukai