Some Things Are Better Left Unread (Yuna x Mina)

Avocado Procrastinates
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yuna let out another soft sigh as she swept below a desk, collecting more debris in her dustpan. She usually wouldn't mind staying behind to clean the classroom, but said room was particularly dirty today. She made her way to the trashcan in the corner of the room to empty her dustpin, making note of the windows that looked like they needed some wiping as well. Before she could dump the contents of the dustpan into the trashcan, however, something caught her eye - something bright pink that stood out underneath the heaps of white, crumpled paper.

Yuna wasn't the type to rummage through trashcans and she certainly wasn't the kind of person to nose into other people's business, but she simply couldn't resist when she realized that her own name was written in red on a bright pink background. She set the broom and dustpan aside to carefully reach in and fish out the object of interest, which turned out to be a paper heart. It was rather small and relatively unscathed despite the time it had possibly spent in the trashcan (only a bent corner or two), but what intrigued Yuna the most were the walls of neat handwriting on both sides of the paper heart. She stole a glance around the vacant classroom before she silently read what it said:

 

Dear Seo Yuna,

I've always been quite the absentminded person. My mind is usually wandering elsewhere, and it never stays in one spot. But since I've met you and gotten to know you, my ability to concentrate has greatly improved. Actually, you are the one person who can keep me focused, and I frankly can't stop thinking about you - even though you are a girl and I am a girl too. I hope you nonetheless consider my feelings.

I really like you.

 

It was a confession letter. As a student in her final year of high school, Yuna has already received her fair share of confessions, gifts, and love letters - but she'd never received any of those aforementioned things from another girl before. For some reason, it really piqued her interest - excited her, even. Unfortunately, the letter wasn't delivered to her directly, and there was no indication of the writer's identity - aside from their gender.

Since the writer didn't give it to her, Yuna assumed that they were probably too afraid or shy to do so. Yuna had a strong feeling that this girl still liked her (especially she found the letter in the trash on this day), and she was too curious to let this go without a second thought. She decided to find out who wrote the letter. Once she confronted them, she'd figure out what to do from there.

 

 

"Mina!" The shorter girl instantly spun around to face Yuna when she heard the other girl calling out her name. Yuna grinned at her friend as she approached her. "You'd never guess what I found in our classroom trashcan yesterday." Mina raised an eyebrow and Yuna was too excited to allow the former to actually start guessing. "A love letter addressed to me! And it's even a confession from a girl."

"Wow, really?" Mina looked just as surprised as Yuna did when she discovered the letter.

"Yep! The person didn't leave their name, so I'm trying to figure out who it would be. It has to be someone in our class though, since the letter was thrown in our class' trashcan. Plus, the handwriting seems familiar."

"That...sounds interesting." Mina quietly said, brushing some strands of hair away from her face. "Do you have any idea who it might be?"

"I have no clue, so I think I'll ask around my other friends." Yuna answered, frowning slightly. Then she paused for a moment and narrowed her eyes thoughtfully at Mina. "Just to make sure, you're not the one who wrote it, right?"

Mina shook her head, and a small smile graced her lips. "No, I didn't."

"Alright then. Let me know if you hear or find out anything interesting. I'd show you the letter, but I think it's something that should be kept between me and the writer." The two of them perked up as they heard someone shouting Yuna's name in the distance. "I gotta go, I'll see you later." Yuna told her friend, beginning to walk away and waving goodbye at her.

As Mina watched the redhead stride toward a group of her other friends, she placed her hand over her pocket, feeling the  texture of smooth paper through the thin fabric of her skirt. She'd give her own confession letter to Yuna when the time was right, and that time wasn't now. Whoever that other person was, they deserved just as much of a chance as Mina did at being able to confess. She was going to wait in the meantime - just as she always did, but if nothing happened to deter her, then she was definitely going to confess to Yuna at last.

 

 

"A girl in our class who likes you...?"

"We can't really pinpoint who it is without seeing the confession letter itself. Then we can recognize the handwriting and maybe the way the writer speaks too."

"I can't show you the letter. It's something private." Yuna refused once again.

Jimin and Choa looked at each other, then released simultaneous sighs. "At this rate, we'll have to go through every girl in our class. First, let's eliminate who isn't the writer for sure. Obviously it's not me or Choa." Jimin briefly scanned the classroom before saying: "Junhee, Jiseon, and Seojin already have boyfriends, so they're out."

"How about Mina?" Choa brought up, eyeing the girl who was having a rather animated conversation with Junhee. "She's a little weird around you sometimes."

"No, I already asked her this morning. She isn't the writer." Yuna replied, also looking at the girl in question. For some reason, she felt a bit disheartened to know that Mina couldn't even be considered a candidate. But she couldn't exactly determine the reason why she felt this way. Maybe it was because they'd gotten closer recently and Yuna was feeling affectionate towards the other girl.

"Okay, what about Youkyung?" Yuna and Jimin slowly shook their heads at Choa's suggestion, and the blonde shrugged. "You never know. She's always keeping to herself."

"Chanmi!" Jimin offered after seeing the girl enter the classroom - a bit too loudly, because said girl peered into their direction right afterwards. Much more quietly, Jimin added, "I take it back. She's kind of aggressive, so I doubt she'd write a love letter. She's the type to tell you flat out that she likes you."

The trio hummed as they racked their brains for other likely candidates in their class. Just as they did that, one of their classmates skipped into the classroom. The newcomer cheerfully greeted everyone in the room, putting wide smiles on their faces. After the three of them gave their own greetings to the girl, they huddled together and continued their conversation from there.

"O

Please log in to read the full chapter