Remember Me (Seolhyun x Hyejeong)

Avocado Procrastinates
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seolhyun peered down at the large brown box sitting near her feet, its opening carefully and tightly sealed by several layers of packing tape. This was the final box to load onto the truck, then everything would finally be ready to go. After a short sigh, she twisted from side to side, hearing the crackle of her bones and feeling the tension in her body ease up. She smoothly rolled back the sleeves of her white blouse and folded them over to ensure that they would stay in place this time. Then she crouched down in front of the box and lifted it up, its weighty contents clinking against one another. From the way it sounded, she guessed that it must have been pottery or something similar. With the heavy box in her straining arms, she made her way outside of the small house to where the truck and the rest of the things awaited.

Seolhyun wasn't a mover or anyone of the sort - she was actually a self-employed private investigator - but here she was performing manual labor for one of her clients. She simply couldn't resist offering her assistance when the elderly woman mentioned that she needed to pack all of the objects in her home in preparation of moving. Seolhyun knew that the woman had no family members around aside from a grandchild she was always complaining about. She had helped the woman so many times before, and she didn't mind helping her again. Although the work turned out to be more tiring than she had expected, Seolhyun felt satisfied knowing that she was able to help. She was like that, someone who didn't mind doing anything as long as they were helping others.

A groan escaped from her lips as she made room for the large box at the back of the truck. There was barely any space left, so she had to push several of the boxes aside. She could see into some of these, and she had caught a glimpse of a few of the objects before her client placed them in the boxes. A lot of the woman's belongings bore a fantastical quality to them that Seolhyun found rather interesting, like oddly shaped statues and unusual things she couldn't name a purpose for . However, in spite of her obvious interest and the woman trying to present one or two of the things as gifts, she refused to accept anything. She was one for giving but certainly not for taking.

After quite a bit of rearranging, Seolhyun finally managed to squeeze the box in. She eagerly hopped out the back of the truck and brought the shutter down, dusting her hands afterwards. "Thank you again for helping me out dear. You're much too kind." Seolhyun turned around to smile softly at the frail old woman approaching her. Her wrinkled hands shook along with her cane, and her gold bracelets jingled with every burdensome step she took.

"It's no problem at all, ma'am. I'm more than willing to help." Seolhyun replied, using a handkerchief to dab at the forming beads of sweat on her forehead. She tucked it into her back pocket when she was done with it. "That was the last of it, so feel free to leave whenever you're ready."

The woman drew a little closer to Seolhyun, and she allowed her to take her hands into her weak hold. She looked up at the young woman, her dark eyes b with intent. "I would like to demonstrate my gratitude for your continuous kindess. Please, allow me to provide you with a gift in return for everything that you have done for me."

"No thank you. It's quite alright."

"You always refuse."

"It's really fine, ma'am." Seolhyun curled her fingers around the woman's trembing hands, keeping them steady in her firm hold. "Believe me, I am more than satisfied with everything I have now. There isn't anything you can give me that I don't already have."

Seolhyun raised a brow as she noticed the woman staring at her fingers, her left ring finger in particular. Their eyes met again, and she knew what question would soon come forth. "You aren't married?" The much younger woman shook her head. There was a pause where the older woman appeared to be thinking. "I don't believe you've ever mentioned a lover either. You're a very kind and attractive young lady, why not?"

Seolhyun decided not to share the fact that she hadn't even been on a single date for the past two years. "I'm...still searching for the right one." The woman made an expression that prompted her to add, "And I'm already precoccupied with work. I wouldn't have much time for dating and such... Besides that, I'm happy with my current circumstances. I don't think I could be any happier."

There was a twinkle in the old woman's cloudy eyes as she said: "Well, I'm certain that I could prove you wrong." Seolhyun grinned in amused disbelief but before she could respond, the truck driver stuck his head out the window to glare at them with visible impatience. "I believe that is my cue for departure. Regardless of your refusal, I will nonetheless send you something. Consider it a parting gift. It should arrive by tomorrow morning." The old woman began to hobble away as quickly as her feeble legs could take her. "Goodbye, Kim Seolhyun, and once again, I thank you for everything you have done." The woman climbed into the truck faster than Seolhyun predicted she would, and the truck went off without a moment of hesitation.

The private investigator stood alone in the dust that lingered. Since the old woman didn't know her home address, she was most likely sending the gift to her office. It was coming, whether she wanted it or not. If it was too much, she'd probably send it right back - hopefully there would be a return address. Seolhyun sighed in resignation. It felt like a long day, but it was at last time for her to return home.

As she walked towards her car parked down the street, many different thoughts swam about in Seolhyun's weary head. There was one she hadn't thought of for a long time, but it was rearing its head again after her brief conversation with her (now former) client. She was finally considering joining the dating scene again and seeing where it would lead her. She wasn't looking for any serious commitment, but maybe, just maybe, she could find someone that would bring a little more happiness into her life.

 

 

Seolhyun was the type of person to set an alarm and wake up before it even rang. And it wasn't because she wanted to. This morning, it was the sunlight leaking through her blinds and shining right onto her eyelids that had woken her up. She was so exhausted after her shower the previous night that she had collapsed onto her bed and completely fallen asleep - thus missing the chance to even close her bedroom blinds. She to her side and moaned, attempting to pull her blanket over her head - but something prevented her from doing so and even tugged back.

A drowsy Seolhyun to her other side to see what was wrong and her eyes grew to the size of golfballs as she realized there was someone else sleeping in her bed. It was a stranger too, a beautiful stranger who slept so serenely and quietly, and Seolhyun knew this because she was gaping at her from a few inches away. Her first instinct was to shriek in surprise, which caused the stranger's eyes to flutter open.

Her second instinct was to roll toward her nightstand, where she had a loaded gun she kept inside for protection. Just as she turned her back toward the intruder, she stiffened, feeling the woman's arms snake around her from behind and her face press into her back. She didn’t realize it until now, that she had fallen asleep in her bathrobe and it became undone throughout the night. Seolhyun shuddered involuntarily as she felt the woman's warm, rhythmic breathing against her exposed skin. She had gone back to sleep.

Seolhyun wasn't sure what to do. The woman wasn't an immediate threat since she was still slumbering away, but there was no telling what she would do when she woke up (or what she could've done to Seolhyun while she was asleep). So the next course of action she deemed most appropriate after slipping out of the woman's embrace was straddling her and pinning her arms over her head. She knew a few self-defense moves so she was prepared for a fight if it were to ensue. 

The woman finally woke up as Seolhyun hovered over her, her eyes narrowed. The stranger merely smiled. "Good morning, darling." She took notice of their current position, murmuring, "So soon?" She didn't appear to be bothered at all and didn't even seem to take notice of the panic and hostility that wracked Seolhyun's nerves.

"Who are you?!"

Calmly, she answered: "My name is Hyejeong and I'm twenty-five years old." Was that even her real name? She didn't ask for her age but if she was telling the truth, she was only two years older than Seolhyun.

"Why are you here and how'd you get into my apartment?"

"...I don't know." Seolhyun stared at Hyejeong in disbelief, but she seemed sincere when she said this. There was an air about her that lacked awareness, and it reminded Seolhyun of the cases where she had found her clients' amnesiac loved ones. She hardened her gaze, wondering if she could find an indication that the woman was lying. As a private investigator, she was trained to do these kinds of things, for interviews and interrogation.

"That hurts." Hyejeong murmured her demeanor similar to that of a wounded animal. She wasn't fighting back at all. She seemed harmless so far, but Seolhyun wasn't going to let up until she was satisfied. She slightly eased her pressure on the woman's wrists but continued pushing them down.

"Do you even remember how you got here?" Hyejeong shook her head. "...do you even remember anything at all?"

"I..." Hyejeong's eyes shifted about, as if she were trying hard to recall something. "I can't remember... I just know my name and age." Her eyes lit up. "Oh, and I know yours too - Kim Seolhyun. You're twenty-three." Seolhyun furrowed her brows. She was certain that she'd never met this woman or even a single 'Hyejeong' in her entire life. As if this recollection had triggered something, a wave of information had suddenly overcome Hyejeong, and she began to recite everyting she knew about Seolhyun. "You're a self-employed private investigator. Your office is a few blocks away from here, on the corner of the street. Your favorite colors are pink and purple. Your hobbies are drawing, reading, and painting, but you enjoy helping people the most." 

Hyejeong continued listing facts about Seolhyun that caused her to huff in frustration. This was only getting stranger. Hyejeong could remember all these things about Seolhyun but couldn't recall anything about herself other than her name and age? The worst part was that Seolhyun couldn't even sense a hint of a lie from the woman. What exactly was going on? "How do you know all of that? 

She stopped, blinking several times. "I don't know."

"Are you...a stalker?"

"No, I'm your true love." Hyejeong answered unabashedly.

"Ex...Excuse me?" Seolhyun could barely believe what was happening, but now this woman was just spouting nonsense. It was official now; Hyejeong was lost, confused, deluded, and possibly amnesiac, but she definitely needed help. This wasn't the kind of help that Seolhyun could provide (especially with the lack of a client to guide her), so she was just going to turn the woman over to someone who'd be able to. "...I'll take you to the police station in a little bit. They should be able to help you."

As if the situation wasn't odd enough, Hyejeong had absolutely nothing except for the clothes on her back, so Seolhyun couldn't even provide an identification card or another object that would assist the police in their investigation. There were no signs of forced entry into her apartment either, so Seolhyun still had no idea how Hyejeong had gotten inside. The biggest question of all was how Hyejeong knew so much information about Seolhyun - but she figured that she'd allow the police to identify Hyejeong first before further questions could be answered. There was something she felt like she’d forgotten, but the matter at hand was too pressing to delay.

 

 

Officer Park nodded as she filed a report on what Seolhyun had just told her. The investigator was glad that the woman was attentive to all the details she provided and seemed competent enough to actually carry out her duties. After scribbling something on her clipboard, she looked up at the two standing in front of her desk. "We'll review the missing persons reports of the city to see if we can match her to any of them. We'll also alert the departments of nearby cities. If there's nothing by then, we'll search further and go through the databases and such. However, that might take a while. As you know, there are reports being filed every day and we're constantly busy."

"I see." Seolhyun stole a glance at Hyejeong, who stood noticeably taller beside her. She didn't see the point in keeping her around any longer. The officers would probably find it more convenient if Hyejeong was present at all times. "Should I leave her here - " A hand suddenly enclosed around hers, and she lowered her gaze to see that it was Hyejeong's. The woman looked straight ahead, but she held onto her hand tightly, unwilling to let go. Seolhyun didn't know why she was compelled to do this. She felt like she was going to regret this later. "...nevermind. She'll be staying with me for the time being."

"Very well, then that concludes the initial filing process." Officer Park smiled, straightening out the papers on her already tidy desk. "We'll contact you periodically and keep you updated on the progress of the investigation. Also feel free to do the same with Hyejeong here, if you discover any relevant information that will aid us or if there's any general need to contact us."

"Thank you, Officer."

"You're very welcome. Have a good day, ladies."

Hyejeong wouldn't release her hold on Seolhyun's hand until they made their exit from the station. It was then that the taller woman clutched at her stomach, frowning at the younger. "Seolhyun, I'm hungry."

"That reminds me, neither of us has eaten breakfast yet."

 

 

Seolhyun's mouth slightly dropped in amazement as she witnessed Hyejeong wolfing down her fourth sandwich. As they were driving down the street, the woman had excitedly pointed out this generic family diner and insisted that they came here to eat. Seolhyun could see now that she wasn't exaggerating when she looked at the photos of the sandwiches and claimed that she could probably eat several. "Where does it all go..." Seolhyun muttered, taking a sip from the freshly squeezed orange juice she had ordered. She'd eaten only one sandwich herself, and she felt more than full just from that.

Hyejeong chewed and swallowed all the food in before replying to Seolhyun's rhetorical question with: "Love takes a lot of energy." She looked serious as she said this but Seolhyun let out a small laugh anyway. Hyejeong was too odd sometimes. Seolhyun had to constantly remind herself that Hyejeong had only forgotten her identity - she hadn't forgotten anything else and she was still a full-grown woman older than herself.

"What is it with you and love?" The younger of the two drummed her fingers on the table while Hyejeong washed down her meal with her own glass of orange juice. "Didn't you say something about you being my true love? I'm curious as to what that's all about."

Hyejeong shrugged her shoulders as she set her glass down, lapping at the sour residue on her lips. "I don't know. I just feel this strong connection to you - like I've known you forever and I wouldn't be able to stand being away from you…like I need you. Isn't that what true love feels like?"

"...I don't really know about that." Seolhyun had long forgotten what it felt like to be in love, making ‘true love’ simply out of the question. But if Hyejeong really felt like she needed her as she said she did, then this woman was here to stay until things were finally settled. This situation appealed to Seolhyun’s compassionate nature, so she would generously accept it.

"I don’t know either. I can’t remember. I just know that we're meant to be." With that said, Hyejeong picked up a fry from the previously untouched plate and began eating it.

Seolhyun observed the woman with amusement taking form as a smile across her lips. She was an interesting character, and she was going to make sure that all was going to be well. "I'm taking you to see my friend after this. She's a neurologist, so she should be able to figure out if there's anything wrong with you."

 

 

Seolhyun felt the urge to stand up but managed to remain seated anyway as Yuna entered the room with a manila folder. She flashed a bright smile at Hyejeong, who stared at her curiously. The other woman returned the smile with similar enthusiasm and visibly relaxed knowing that she was in good hands. “So I gathered all the results of the tests we took after the physical exam and compiled them into a single folder. As far as these tests and blood and urine tests go, the results came back normal. She’s clean.”

“What about the other ones - like the MRI?” Seolhyun asked, eager to know what the cause of Hyejeong’s condition was.

"I don't see any abnormalities in her brain. You said that she has amnesiac symptoms, correct? Amnesia has several different possible causes, such as tumors, seizures, , lack of oxygen to the brain, neurodegenerative disease, physical head injuries, and in rare and severe cases, emotional trauma. Since I can't seem to find anything that would indicate the other possible causes, I'd say that dissociative amnesia is the likely cause of her current state. If that is truly the case, then her condition is only temporary and she should be able to recover her memory soon."

Seolhyun felt a little disappointed knowing that Yuna couldn

Please log in to read the full chapter