Chapter 7 (M)

Nothing's Over
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 7: Friendship

 

Da Hyun was packing her bag, about to leave her office when Mi Rae rushed in teary eyed and nervous. Her first words were that Kang Min had kidnapped the kids but after a few questions and one call it became clear that he had just picked them from the daycare a bit early and taken to his parents. Da Hyun offered to go together with Mi Rae and pick them up. It was that easy. But she did feel suspicious about him going to his parents. Could it be that he had maintained the contact?

 

“I'll take you to mother's” Da Hyun suggested. She was driving Mi Rae's car because the latter was still in a shocked state. Despite her frivolous lifestyle her kids were still extremely important to her and she cared about them more than herself.

“I think that would be for the best. How could he pull such a stunt?”

“He is an as.shole and we all know that”, Da Hyun commented indifferently.

“Watch your language, the kids are here”, Mi Rae hissed in her motherly tone.

“Right. Sorry.” Da Hyun glanced at the quiet kids through the rear mirror, they were so cute and obedient. “Has he bothered you these days?”

A sigh left Mi Rae's lips, her gaze focused on the road ahead. She shook her head. They both grew quiet for a moment and Da Hyun the radio. But after some time passed she couldn't hold it in anymore.

 

“When are you going to get back to your senses?” she asked in quiet voice. “About Jongin.” She had just spent a day and night with him and she had to admit she still couldn't hate him. There was something irresistible about him and she understood her sister who must be feeling lonely, shocked and scared lately. But why did it have to be Jongin? Especially when Da Hyun was sort of interested in him too but she was not going to admit that she was being jealous. Never.

 

“Don't start this again”, Mi Rae grunted, glancing at her little sister from the corners of her eyes. “I know what I am doing.”

“Right... “ Da Hyun scoffed. “One gets you pregnant, second beats you and the third frames you for a crime. I wonder what the fourth is going to do?” She muttered in hushed voice so the kids wouldn't hear.

“You have totally misunderstood him”, Mi Rae stated. “He is a good man.” She sounded so damn determined like this was the only thing she was sure about. Just what did Jongin do to sweep her into such a state? Probably not much... He just needed to be there and women would fall at his feet. Just what was it about him?

“I wish that was true”, Da Hyun sighed. “Is he at least going to date you?” she asked, giving in a bit.

“No!”

“See, he is just using you.”

“No he isn't!”

“He should date you at least!”

 

If one of them was going to jail it would be Da Hyun, she would never let something like that happen to Mi Rae. She had to take care of the two sweet little angels who were sitting so obediently at the backseat. And anyway, as long as it depended on Da Hyun no one would be going to jail except Kang Min.

 

“He is gay so of course not!” Mi Rae retorted in annoyance. “There is nothing between us. It's not that kind of relationship.”

 

Da Hyun turned to look at her sister wide eyed and agape. Mi Rae looked back at her and quickly covered with her palm. She was not supposed to blurt that and her words shocked Da Hyun to the point she stepped on the brakes causing the car to jerk violently. Both kids started crying and Mi Rae turned over her seat to calm them down. Da Hyun stared at her sister in disbelief. The biggest playboy of the century was gay. Yeah right....

 

“And you believed when he sad that?” she snorted. “Wake up!”

“It's true”, Mi Rae frowned. “And lower your voice, you are scaring them”, she pointed at the two teary eyed girls. “Why would you stop so abruptly?”

“You said you slept with him!” Da Hyun argued, frown settling on her face.

“It happened once, only once!”

“See, he had with you! How can he be gay?” Da Hyun exclaimed. “If he is gay then I'm a-”

“It's true!” Mi Rae cut her off. “I swear it's true”, she insisted.

“But you just said you two had ! Last time I checked you were a woman.”

“Maybe that's why he ed me in the as.s instead of...” Mi Rae gulped the rest of her words. And as if from a common sign both women turned to look at the two little girls who stared back at them wide eyed.

“Cover your ears”, Mi Rae hissed and they both did as told.

Da Hyun glared at her sister. “Last time you were sleeping on his bed!”

“I wasn't , okay!” Mi Rae shrieked, shooting her an angry look. “He is gay, I swear!

“Are you making fun of me right now?”

“I swear it's true! He is 100% gay!”

“Then why are you still in love with him?” Da Hyun asked in suspicion. “Nothing adds up in this story.”

“Hmph”, Mi Rae held her chin higher. “I'm trying to prove him that if I love him enough he will fall for me. Love is not about gender.”

Da Hyun blinked with dead serious expression on her face and then burst out in laughter. “That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard!”

“You don't have to believe me if you don't want to...”

“Gay my a.ss...” Da Hyun snorted.

 

A knock on the window on her side startled them both and they shifted their eyes at the police officer. “Excuse me but you are not allowed to park here”, he said sternly when Da Hyun rolled down the window.

 

“Aww, we didn't know. Would you please let us go this time?” Mi Rae said in coy voice, batting her eyelashes. “I promise we won't do it again.”
The officer looked hesitant for a moment and Mi Rae slapped Da Hyun's shoulder, shooting her a sharp look.

“That's right”, Da Hyun smiled sweetly. “This once please. We were just leaving, anyway, handsome officer.”

“You look really cool in your uniform”, Mi Rae added with the sweetest smile.

“Ah, fine”, the officer softened up. “But don't do that again.”

“Thank you sooooo much”, Mi Rae and Da Hyun said in one voice with cutest smiles they could muster. The officer smiled at them and walked away after wishing them a good day.

“He was ugly”, Mi Rae commented once Da Hyun had rolled up the window and was starting the motor. “There you go again... so shallow”, she rolled her eyes.

“Then do you think he was handsome?” Mi Rae asked in disbelief.

“No, but still...”

“See, he was ugly.”

“Okay, I admit he was.”

“Besides, I am sure you were attracted to Jongin too.”

Da Hyun groaned. “Let's not talk about him.”

 

After meeting Eun Yoo and finding out that her father worked within the police Da Hyun assumed that this woman had been the reason of Jongin's and Sehun's fight. Maybe there had been a love triangle of some sort and Sehun had won. This was ridiculous because which sane woman would choose a rat instead of the prince? Da Hyun had not asked Jongin anything because this was none of her business and she didn't want to pry in other people's private lives.

 

But gay? Seriously? He was always flirting with women how could anyone... But Da Hyun found herself hesitating. What if he really was gay? It could explain his weird actions about wanting to be cured from being himself. Maybe he was ashamed of his ual orientation? Maybe he was living in denial? But if he really was gay what a waste. And anyway, it was not her business so she tried not to think about it.

 

Instead Da Hyun concentrated on thinking about Kang Min's stunt. Why would he pretend to be kidnapping the kids? Probably his parents just wanted to meet their grandchildren (everyone thought Mi Rae's first child was his too) and that's all. He was probably just trying to annoy her. Still, she thought it was weird. Maybe it was a warning of some sort? Besides, he was not supposed to meet his parents.

 

Once Da Hyun stepped into her apartment she froze thinking she was imagining things. No, she hoped she was imagining things because dealing with him was the least she wanted to do at the moment. No she was not imagining things, he was there and he was up to no good.

 

“You are finally here”, Kang Min smirked.

 

Fear struck Da Hyun. She was not in the mood to deal with him now, she was afraid of him. It struck her like a lightning and became dry, she was really afraid of him unlike never before. The accident at his office flashed through her mind and she shuddered. What if he attempted to do something like that again and no one would be here to help her? Fear blinded her.

 

Keeping her narrowed eyes on Kang Min, Da Hyun backed, her hand fumbling for the door knob. He was already on his feet, he was speaking, saying something she couldn't hear. All she could hear were her loud heartbeats. With a swift movement she opened the door and ran. And for the first time in her life Da Hyun ran away from something. She was a fast runner and managed to reach her car before he could catch up.

 

Kang Min cursed under his breath knowing he had lost her for now but he wouldn't give up. Sooner or later she'd have to come back home. Then he realized she had nowhere to go and would most probably head to the office, that's where he headed too. Sehun's words about her blaming him for her father's death had angered him so much he was going crazy. It was time to finally shut for once and for all.

 

*

 

Jongin walked through the brightly light corridor with a frown on his face. Once again it had been waste of his time to come to the police station since the team leader of a particular case would refuse to meet him, as always. No matter how hard he tried he'd never get through. That's how he felt. Was there anything more he could do to contribute? He felt hopeless.

 

“Kang Da Hyun...” He froze when he saw her standing at the entrance, peeking out through the glass doors. She was dressed in her usual business attire but unusually jumpy compared to her always so calm and collected character. Jongin glanced at his wrist watch. “Why are you here at this time? Did something happen?”

 

She glanced over her shoulder and her eyes widened a little from surprise but he saw relief wash over her when she realized it was him. Immediately Jongin perked up, he walked next to her and glanced out through the doors but didn't see anything out of ordinary. Da Hyun relaxed when she felt his presence, a sigh escaping her lips. Jongin had changed his suit to a fresh one, he stood straight and tall, his body angled towards her while his face was turned at the door. His pupils shifted at Da Hyun and he observed her from his lateral view.

 

“What is it?” He asked, his voice serious, even a bit worried.

“It's nothing”, Da Hyun muttered. “I was just on my way out”, she faked a smile and started to push the door open. There was no way she would start telling him a sob story about Kang Min. She'd just go to her mother's, that house was the safest place on earth.

 

“Don't bluff. Why would you come all the way to a police station if it was about nothing?” His words made her stop in her tracks. Jongin was now directly looking at her face, observing her every reaction and she felt like he could see through her.

 

“I said it's nothing”, a slight frown crossed Da Hyun's face. She still couldn't believe he was gay and the question threatened to spill out. However Da Hyun kept her composure somehow managing to collect her thoughts. As if finding her confidence anew she finally regained her usual attitude, giving him a cool look. “Are you trying to put your moves on me again?”

 

Jongin let out a small sigh. “There is only one reason for someone to enter a police station randomly. When their safety is threatened”, he said matter-of-factly and then flashed an encouraging smile. “I'm all ears”, then he smirked playfully. “And I am happy to meet you again so soon.”

“Well, I have nothing to say”, Da Hyun simply said before pushing the door open and walking out.

 

Jongin shook his head when he saw her walking down the steps. She looked cautiously around herself in a subtle manner but he noticed, anyway. Someone might have been following her for all he knew. And if it made her come all the way to a police station it couldn't have been anything simple. He knew her well enough already, little things wouldn't make her face turn so pale.

 

With an amused little smile playing on his lips Jongin followed her, running down the steps in a relaxed manner. She was already sitting in her car with the key in her hand when he pulled the door open, startling her.

 

“What is it?” Da Hyun hissed.

“Come on, get out here and tell me what's burning your as.s”, Jongin smiled, his smile slowly widening. “I'm here for you.”

Da Hyun made a disgusted face at him. “Do women really fall for that?” she asked.

“I'm curious”, Jongin pouted cutely, leaning his folded arm on the door. “Come on, let's go get some dinner and talk about it.”

Da Hyun scoffed. “Go play with someone who cares.”

 

She grabbed the door handle and tried to pull the door close but Jongin didn't let go, he stepped between the door and the car. His gentle eyes sparkling with amusement and warmth. When she glared at him he smiled playfully, winking his left eye, pouting his lips with tease. And suddenly it seemed like the best idea ever to run into his arms, to trust him, to indulge in his warmth. He was shining like an angel, he was such a sinful angel calling for her to join him in something wrong but overwhelmingly sensual. Da Hyun quickly shook her head, terrified by her own thoughts.

 

“Move”, she pushed his leg with her foot.

“Ha”, a crafty smirk appeared on Jongin's luscious lips. “I know what you were thinking about just now. You are blushing”, he teased.

“Whatever”, Da Hyun grunted. “Just leave me alone.”

“How could I? Knowing that you are actually interested in engaging after dinner activities at my place”, he joked.

“Yeah right...”

“Did I make you feel hot miss CEO?” he teased on.

 

“Maybe you should stop wasting your time and go to a gay club if you are feeling ”, she blurted and then quickly bit her lips together. She carefully glanced at him from her lateral view, her shoulders stiffening a bit. His brows slightly furrowed, confusion and surprise mixing into an unreadable look in his eyes.

 

“What did you just say?” he asked with a scoff.

Da Hyun stared at him with widened eyes and brows raised. He didn't seem to be pleased about her comment just now. In fact he just flinched. “Are you really gay?” she asked in disbelief. “You?”

“What? Gay? Are you joking me?” Jongin uttered a dry chuckle.

“Mi Rae told me everything”, Da Hyun said in quiet voice while observing his reaction. He scoffed in disbelief.

“It was just a way to get rid of her. Did you really believe that?”

“No... but...” Da Hyun couldn't stop staring at him. “Are you like seriously really gay?”

“You are crazy”, he shook his head. “Anyway, just go home and take a rest. I'm off.” She watched how he started walking back towards the police station but stopped middle way and turned around walking back to her car. She still had the door open.

“And I am not gay, understood?” he grunted. “How could you believe something like that?” he hissed in, placing his hands on his waist. “That's so... aish.”

 

Da Hyun only stared at him wide eyed, realization sinking in slowly but surely. How come she never noticed? But she had to admit he hid it really well underneath that playboy act of his. Stirring ual attraction was his specialty after all. Suddenly she burst out in laughter, leaning her head back.

 

“You are gay, aren't you?” she asked between the laughter. “Oh my God, you are so gay.”

“Listen, I really dislike to be called gay”, Jongin commented dully. “Besides what makes you think so? Should I get in there and kiss you to prove you wrong?”

“Oh my god!” Da Hyun laughed even harder. “You are so flamboyant. I should have known!”

“Hey”, Jongin frowned. “That's-”
“Why are you even denying it anymore when it's all in the open?” Da Hyun taunted. “Are you in a secret relationship with Kang Min or something? Is that it?”
“I think we need to talk...”

 

No words were exchanged while the two walked towards their destination. Da Hyun was still chuckling and Jongin had a thoughtful look on his face, sulking. They headed to a small chicken restaurant down the street. It was a cozy place owned by a young couple, hip and modern full of lively university students. There was only one empty table at the far end in the corner and they were happy to take it. The place was popular so it was always busy.

 

After ordering a few drinks and snacks they both sat in a silence. Da Hyun observed Jongin's face while he was thinking about something. Smile lingered on her lips while she thought about it. He was a handsome guy who took really good care of his appearance. There was nothing what would scream gay about him. His voice was masculine and his behavior well...

 

He was always chasing women like a walking flirt machine programmed to only recognize females. Or at least this was the image Da Hyun had of him in her head. She didn't deny she even thought about having with him before because he was hot, he was desirable. He was nothing like typical gays out there and it was highly possible he was still hiding in a closet. The real question was how did Mi Rae even find out?

 

“Look...” Jongin finally spoke, shifting in his seat. He was leaning back, his legs sprawled under the table and his hands resting on the table. “What did she say?” he asked tiredly, the look in his eyes was now dull. All playfulness was gone.

“She just said you were gay”, Da Hyun blurted. The waiter who was placing their drinks on the table gave Jongin a weird look before retreating with quick steps. Jongin shot Da Hyun a stern look.

“What?” she asked innocently.

“Why don't you tell the whole world?” he rolled his eyes.

“So it's true?” Da Hyun raised a brow.

“I didn't admit to anything”, he said nonchalantly as he grabbed his beer.

“How did she find out, anyway?” Da Hyun asked casually as she took a sip from her drink.

“I told you I lied t-”
“Yeah right”, she snorted. “She was 100% sure about it and her gay radar is really good. When she says it's true then it is”, Da Hyun bluffed but Jongin didn't know that. When it came to Mi Rae she didn't even have any radars let alone a brain. There was a shoe in her head instead of a brain.

Jongin lowered his eyes and sighed. “She caught me making out with a guy...” he mumbled.

 

Da Hyun would find out sooner or later, anyway. It was true, he was as gay as a man could be. Mi Rae had promised to keep it a secret but apparently she couldn't be trusted. He had tried to somehow explain the situation but once she had got him being gay in her empty head she refused to believe anything else. What Jongin could do now was to silence Da Hyun and make her silence Mi Rae.

 

“I see”, Da Hyun nodded, smile still lingering on her lips. “But you are in trouble now because apparently she has decided to cure you from your gayness”, she chuckled in amusement. However Jongin was not amused at all.

“Yeah?” A bittersweet grin tugged at his lips. “I wish she could come up with a way for that to work.”

Da Hyun frowned at his words. “What's wrong? You...” she paused when she saw his gloomy face.

“Don't tell anyone okay? And tell her to keep shut, she promised”, he said dully.

“She can keep a secret, all right. It was me who made her spit it out”, Da Hyun explained. “But...” her frown deepened. “Are you shamed of it?”

“I don't want to talk about this”, Jongin chucked his bear down his throat. “Just pretend you don't know.”

 

Da Hyun lowered her eyes, feeling a sad tug at her heart. She if anyone knew how painful it was not to be able to be who you really were. To think that for all these years he had been trying to be “normal” like the close minded society was telling him to be. He wasn't a playboy, he was just a man trying to live his life in hiding. How much he must have suffered to become such a good actor. Women didn't attract him yet he knew everything about attracting them. He must have put so much effort into his research.

 

Da Hyun's heart softened for Jongin. She remembered Chili and the blissful feeling he made her feel when she could be honestly herself in his presence, without being judged. It was silly how much she treasured their meeting, after all they had just talked about some insignificant things and that's all. But she knew she would never forget how it felt like to be appreciated for who she was in all its simplicity. It was not every day she met that kind of people.

 

”Excuse me!” Jongin called for a waiter. “I would like to-”

“Order more beer and some chicken”, Da Hyun finished for him and he turned to look at her with a frown.

“Let's be friends for just this evening”, she flashed a careful smile. “Just this once.” She was willing to forget everything for a few hours. He had finally gotten on her soft side, not with his playful sleazy flirting but with being honest.

“I guess a few drinks wouldn't be too bad”, Jongin sighed, touched by her suggestion. He honestly liked Da Hyun and wanted to know more about her. “But don't ask me about that...” he added quietly, avoiding eye contact.

“I won't. Let's talk about something else”, Da Hyun lied with a smile.

 

Yeah right, once she'd get him drunk she'd make him tell her everything and maybe even more. Never mind that she was lately drunk all the time which was not really her style but she had the feeling that this time being drunk would benefit her.

 

15 beer bottles, 5 soju bottles and a huge plate of friend chicken later...

 

Jongin had his arm spread over the table and his head resting on top of it while Da Hyun was sitting straight, her head bobbing up and down while she tried to stay awake. Suddenly she let out a loud burp causing Jongin to snicker. With a trembling hand she reached for a half empty soju bottle to pour them more alcohol.

 

They had been talking about all sort of usual things like weather and hobbies and then Jongin was back to his usual flirty self, he admitted it had become a habit. He relaxed and cheered up after the topic about him being gay was ignored. Meanwhile Da Hyun was thinking really hard for a way to bring it up again.

 

“I”, she hiccuped. “I am never eating again.”

“You are such a pig”, Jongin slurred. His head was still resting on his arm, his eyes trying to catch her wobbly figure from across the table but there were countless bottles blocking his view and all he could see was her hair.

“Come on, come on. Don't tell me you can't drink anymore”, she teased with a goofy smile. “We are only getting started.”

“How about going somewhere else”, Jongin groaned. “A walk would do us good.”

Da Hyun hiccuped and shrugged. She downed her shot and hissed quietly, alcohol burning . “Aaaaah.”

“Let's go”, Jongin whined, pushing himself up. Once he was sitting straight the whole world seemed to be shaking and he leaned on the table with his both hands.

“We are not going anywhere before”, Da Hyun smirked. “Before...”

 

“What?” Jongin slurred while yawning and scratching his chest. He wasn't wearing his blazer anymore, it was hanging on the backrest of his chair. The sleeves of his collar shirt were rolled up to his elbows and his tie loosened around his ed collars.

“Are you really that shamed of being gay?” Da Hyun asked in loud voice.

“Shhhh!” Jongin glared weakly at her with his index finger on his lips. “Lower your damn voice.” Then he looked around with squinted eyes and overly dramatic movements of his head.

“Shhh”, Da Hyun nodded, imitating him. “Why do you pretend to love women?”

He let out a frustrated sigh, the look in his unfocused eyes sharpening. “Have you tried to be gay out there?” he barked. “Do you have the guts?”

“But you can't help it”, she argued. “No matter what you can't change. So why are you trying?”

“Is this why you made me drink?” Jongin protested, irritation crossing his face. “You sly woman! I thought you were my friend.”

“Excuse me”, Da Hyun snorted. “At least I'm not trying to get you behind the bars.”

Jongin scoffed. “You don't even know anything!” He grabbed a bottle and started pouring himself more alcohol, drinking three shots in a row. He didn't bother to fill Da Hyun's glass and she grabbed her own bottle, drinking straight from it while glaring at him.

 

“Maybe if I knew something I wouldn't be so suspicious about you”, she retorted.

“Then why are you here drinking with me in the first place?” Jongin squinted his eyes.

“Because I want to know what kind of person you are”, Da Hyun said proudly and then hiccuped loudly. “Damn it”, she muttered, covering her lips with her palm.

“What kind of person are you?” Jongin asked. “I am curious too.”

“Anyway, now that it's in the open again I can't believe”, another loud hiccup. “That you are really gay.” She couldn't stop hiccuping.

“Stop talking about that...” Jongin pleaded.

She kept hiccuping. “How do you even have with women in the first place?”
He shrugged. “I just force myself.”

“Don't do that”, Da Hyun whispered, her face now sad and her lips were tugging downwards “That's...”

“What do you know?” he scoffed pouring himself more alcohol. “You know nothing...”

 

Da Hyun sighed. It was hard to watch him in such a joyless state when he'd always go around smiling and joking. She didn't want to pity him or care about him on any level but in her current drunken state she found herself caring so much it hurt. She forgot about everything else, thinking about how he had asked her to be his friend. Now he looked so lonely and lost, like his heart was smashed into tiny little pieces. He looked like he loathed himself for not being able to change. He looked like life was tortuous and painful. He looked like he wanted to drown in alcohol and die.

 

“What is it?” Jongin flinched when Da Hyun burst out in tears. She crossed her arms over the table and buried her face in her sleeves. He sat there staring at her shaking shoulders until she looked up, her teary eyes on him. When drunk her always so well hidden emotions surfaced in this manner.

“It's okay”, she sniffled. “It's okay. I think being gay is not wrong.”

“Da Hyun”, Jongin's face fell and tears gathered in the corners of his eyes. He felt warm in his heart, relieved, and at ease.

“You can't help it, anyway”, she muttered as she blew her nose into a tissue and then proceeded to wipe her eyes. Jongin thought she was acting so unladylike now, she wasn't even cute and even embarrassing but he was thankful it was her there. He wouldn't have changed her for anyone else. “For some people it might be strange”, she continued. “But there are a lot of people who don't even care.” She finally looked at his face and saw tears rolling down his cheeks.

“Here”, she handed him a tissue and he accepted it with a silent sob.

“I feel you”, Da Hyun sighed. Once more she wiped her eyes dry, already calming down. “I've always been a tomboy. When I was a kid I got often mistaken for a boy. I was bullied in school too.” She paused to drink from her soju bottle. “I always thought that one day I'll meet a guy who won't care about my appearance. Bullsh.it, I just had to change. I hate... I actually hate the world I live in. So much pretense and lies”, she rambled, slumping back in her chair.

 

Jongin listened to her silently, unshed tears glistening in his eyes. He was not the type to cry easily but the atmosphere was so tender and palpable it had gotten to him and he was drunk too. He was so drunk he thought he'd black out soon.

 

“Why do we always need to pretend no matter where we go, no matter what we do? Why is it that if we don't put up a strong front we will be crushed? Why is that if someone is slightly different others will look down on them? Why is it so hard to be accepted for who you are?

 

Why is that men only like sweet and kind girls? Why is that women always fall in love with bad boys? Why? Why do we always go for something we can't have? Why do we fall in love with impossible? Why is it so hard to be imperfect? Why?” Da Hyun gasped for air after saying all this in two quick breaths her words slurring and tangling together. “Why?”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter