Part II: Chapter 9

Nothing's Over
Please log in to read the full chapter

Part II: Welcome to the Darkness

Chapter 9

 

Sehun's eyes fluttered open He awoke all tied up sitting next to unconscious Da Hyun in a tacky motel room. Someone had thrown a glassful of water on his face. It was an unknown man who proceeded to untie his feet and forced him to get up by pulling on his hair. Sehun glanced at Da Hyun from the corners of his eyes worry striking his heart but he couldn't even say a thing because his mouth was covered with tape.

 

Still disoriented and groggy he was half pushed half kicked out into the dim corridor and pulled along. No matter how he protested and squirmed it didn't buy him any time and eventually he was pushed into another dimly lit empty room and thrown on the floor on his knees. The man who had dragged him all the way kicked him in the back a few times and Sehun groaned in pain, leaning forward as if bowing.

 

“Mr. prosecutor, you have disappointed me”, familiar voice spoke from above. Sehun glanced up and saw Kang Min before himself. The latter was still wearing same clothes, a black fitting suit with white collar shirt and no tie. He was holding a baseball bat on his shoulder, his wrist wrapped around the handle. “Your hit earlier hurt a little”, he smirked, rubbing his chin, angling it higher.

 

Sehun narrowed his eyes and his brows furrowed into a suspicious frown. If there was no tape over his mouth he would have cussed and if only he wasn't tied up he'd not hesitate to throw another punch at that arrogant face.

 

“Don't give me that look.” Kang Min warned with a cold smirk, bringing the tip of his leather shoe to Sehun's chin to hold his face higher. Sehun moved his head and Kang Min pushed his cheek with the sole of his shoe. “You have pretty eyes”, he added mockingly before turning around and walking a few steps away. The baseball bat was still resting on his shoulder.

 

“Once I let you go you will obediently close Jung Woo's case, close the old man's case and arrest Da Hyun before I decide to do something rash. Do we have an agreement?” Hearing this Sehun scoffed inwardly. Now nothing would make him stop anymore.

 

After a short silence Kang Min spun around, giving him a questioning look. “How about that?” With unyielding look in his eyes, Sehun shook his head. He sat up straight, proud and fearless. “That's a pity then. You leave me no other options but to punish you for not playing fair. I thought we would be on the same side...”

 

No more words were said. The man who stood behind Sehun kicked him in the back so hard the former fell on his face. Then came the pain when the baseball bat jammed into his side. There was a pause and Sehun took in a sharp breath, closing his eyes tightly. The baseball bat slammed into him repeatedly and he curled up into a ball, trying to protect his stomach but was kicked over, on his back, on his side, on his stomach. But his head was not hit even once as if they were afraid to hurt him too much.

 

At first pain was immense but slowly his body started to grow numb. Inevitably Sehun bit on his tongue and it started bleeding. His mouth started filling with blood and he had problems swallowing it. There was still a patch of tape covering his lips and he started to feel suffocated as if drowning. He started coughing, his eyes flew open reflecting his agony, filling with tears of panic he couldn't control.

 

He didn't even notice that the door opened and in waked an elder man with two men in his trail. The two stopped on both sides of the closed door, their sharp gazes directed forward at nothing in particular. The gentleman in dark brown striped suit walked forward. It was Kang Jin Ki, a man nearing his fifties with black thick hair in a tame hairdo, covering his ears and forehead. His hair was not the only tame thing about him, his eyes were calm and his face relaxed giving him a false harmless appearance. He narrowed his eyes at the scene in front of himself, heaving a soft frustrated sigh, seemingly disappointed. “That's enough”, he said with sharp voice.

 

Both Kang Min and his companion immediately stepped away from squirming Sehun who was caught in a coughing fit. “Did I say anything about killing him?” Jin Ki asked coolly, even amused. “What is this nonsense?”

 

He scanned everyone's faces before strolling to Sehun who was lying on his side. Agile for his age, Jin Ki squatted next to the prosecutor and ripped the tape off his lips. Immediately blood spluttered from Sehun's mouth and he spat it out eagerly, his coughing fit only growing louder. Jin Ki grabbed his shoulder and pulled him on his knees just in time for Sehun to lean forward and hurl out whatever he had eaten for breakfast and all the blood he had already swallowed

 

“There there”, Jin Ki smiled knowingly, patting Sehun's back a few times before getting on his feet. His now strict eyes settled on Kang Min's face, the air about him growing intimidating. He was displeased. “What did he say?”

“He refused”, Kang Min answered bitterly in a simple manner, his fierce gaze connecting with Jin Ki's cool one for a flash moment.

“Aigoo”, Jin Ki pouted his lips and shook his head in amused disapproval. “That is not good, dear prosecutor.”

Sehun was finally calming down, his head still hung low and he was taking in sharp breaths unable to feel his body. He felt like he didn't have a body at all.

“Are you sure you don't want to close Jung Woo's case? I believe you have been warned once before and I don't really like to repeatedly warn people. It's troublesome.”

 

Realization hit Sehun and he looked up, his eyes meeting with Jin Ki's for the first time. But it didn't feel like it was the first time. The elder man looked somewhat familiar but Sehun wasn't sure where he had met him before. He knew the meaning behind the former's words, though. He knew so well he shivered, cold waves running over his body upon the horrible memory.

 

“Don't you recognize me?” Jin Ki asked curiously, his brows arching higher.

Sehun shook his head, lowering his eyes at the bloody mess in front of himself. He scrunched up his nose in disgust. “Ah, right. You got amnesia, didn't you?” Jin Ki nodded by himself, taking a few steps back and forth, his hands tucked behind his back. “Maybe that's why you forgot to stay away from the danger zone? And you even went as far as reopening a certain accident case as a potential murder case”, he paused for a moment, glancing at Sehun. “But I still find this hard to accept even if you forgot. Actually I don't like it when people forget so carelessly. I'm not very pleased with you, pretty boy”, he spoke in scolding manner.

 

Sehun looked at the man's face again, now with a frown. Maybe Da Hyun's father's accident and Jung Woo's murder somehow connected since this man wanted them both closed and forgotten? Then what about the money laundering? Jin Ki was looking at him sternly, studying his face and body, then he glanced at Kang Min again. The corners of his lips dropping.

 

“Do you think he will be scared just because you beat him?” the older male asked blandly, even disappointed. “Is he a dog?” Kang Min didn't say anything, he stood tall averting eye contact, his lips forming a straight line. “You must have had fun”, Jin Ki scoffed. “But this is not about having fun.” He walked to Kang Min and grabbed the baseball bat from his hands, examining it carefully. “This is a weapon, it can damage or it can kill, depends on how you use it. I thought you knew the basics, no?” he spoke lazily, his voice deep and thick, there was a warning tone to it.

“Or do you want me to teach you?” He asked in low voice with caustic undertone, his eyes drilling into Kang Min's face. He pressed the tip of the baseball bat against the younger male's cheek and pushed slowly, causing Kang Min to turn his head slightly to the side.

“I made a mistake” Kang Min said trough gritted teeth. “I apologize for that.”

Jin Ki clicked his tongue, his face relaxing and his eyes becoming calm again. He slightly hit the top of Kang Mn's head with the baseball bat. “You don't sound very sorry to me. Maybe you should practice that?”

Kang Min scowled at the older man from under his bangs.

“Don't give me that look. You are lucky I caught you today before you managed to dig a nice deep grave for yourself. It's been a while since I buried anyone alive...” Jin Ki commented with a small shrug, as if what he had just said meant nothing. Yet it had been evident in the tone of his voice that he was not joking. There was humor in his eyes but it was cruel and cold. “Watch your back because I am watching you. One step on the sidetrack and you won't see the daylight ever again.” For a flash moment his face grew cold and serious, as if underlining the meaning behind his words.

 

It was hard to concentrate but Sehun tried his best, grimacing from pain every once and then. Unshed tears had blurred his sight and he tried to blink them away, spitting out blood once in a while. He wasn't sure about Jin Ki's and Kang Min's relationship, he was not sure about anything. The only thing he could concentrate on was Da Hyun. Was she all right? What would they do to her? Would he be able to save her?

 

If they wanted to take his life they could try but it's not like he'd give up easy. He didn't give a damn about these warnings and he was not going to do what they asked him to do. Never in his life had he swiped a case under a rug. Well, he had done it once but that was a different story. Now was now. He would take no bulls.hit from gangsters, he could take a beating but he took no orders. If he had learned something about gangsters there were two types of interactions: business and slavery. If he did something for them without getting anything in return he'd become their bit.ch. They'd know he was weak and they wouldn't hesitate to threaten him again and again, asking him to hide more of their crimes. He would not give in unless they offered him something in return, that would mean they stood on the same grounds.

 

Sehun knew better, he knew that no matter how warped and cruel gangsters were, deep inside they were businessmen and businessmen went for profit. Just like any businessmen anywhere. After all, underworld was just a copy, just a reflection of the surface. The darker reality with its own rules and laws. They were just living their lives like any other people. You could go against them, you could arrest them, you could punish them but once you were caught in their own world you'd have to abide by their rules just like you make them abide by yours. The safest way to deal with them was making a deal. They could be surprisingly flexible if you had enough guts to push it.

 

Snapping from his thoughts Sehun shuddered when he was forced to stand on his wobbly feet. He knew he needed to stay strong but his body was now weak and he had difficulties to control his movements. Jin Ki was now beside him, his hand on Sehun's shoulder. The prosecutor saw a sly smirk from his lateral view before he was pushed forward and tripped over. A quiet groan left his lips when his body collided with the hard floor, pain shooting up his shoulder. All air left his lungs and he coughed loudly.

 

“This is what happens when you go against me. You fall”, Jin Ki explained calmly and paused for more powerful effect. “Get up.”

 

It took Sehun a while to process the order and a bit longer to move but the older male waited patiently beside him. Because Sehun's hands were still tied behind his back he found it hard to lift his upper body from the floor but he somehow managed with a grimace. However, once his chest started lifting off the floor a foot shoved him back down, his cheek pressed against the cool rough surface and he felt pressure at the back of his neck.

 

“Oh sorry I forgot”, Jin Ki let out a dry chuckle. “He stepped harder on Sehun's shoulder blade and pressed the baseball bat to the back of his neck, digging it deeper. “Once I make you fall”, Jin Ki's voice grew cold and threatening. “You will never get up again. So, next time I want you to think twice if you don't want to hear a snap. But the again... it will hurt only once.” With that said he stepped away from Sehun, who felt his heart leaping madly in his chest. He had to admit that he was getting a bit scared but he was not going to show it. He couldn't show any other emotion but pain, anyway. The back of his neck burned, the spot where the baseball bat had rubbed was on fire. Just a little bit more pressure and he would have died.

 

“Help him up and untie his hands.” He heard an order and two pairs of arms lifted him on his feet. His hands were freed and he rubbed his reddened wrists. There were a few cuts and blood.

“Follow me”, Jin Ki simply said as he walked past him.

“Uncle, are you letting him go just like this?” Kang Min's angry voice rang from somewhere behind and Sehun froze in his steps, slowly raising his astonished gaze at the elder man who was now standing in front of him with his body angled sideways. Was he Kang Min's relative or were they just on close terms?

“I can do whatever I want with him and that's none of your business”, Jin Ki said with amused tone of voice, his eyes mocking Kang Min. “You have caused enough trouble, be thankful I don't have time to deal with you today.” His eyes fell shortly on Sehun's frowning face and then he turned towards the door. “Follow me.” But the the prosecutor did not follow.

“Where is Da Hyun?” Sehun spat, turning his head towards Kang Min instead of following the elder man.

“Are you ignoring my orders now?” Jin Ki asked in amused disbelief.

“Where is Da Hyun?” Sehun repeated, his eyes filling with rage. He couldn't stand the smug look on Kang Min's face, it was driving him crazy. For a second he forgot all his pain, he forgot where he was and who he was with.

“I'm sure she is enjoying her time very much”, Kang Min flashed a sly little smile.

“Son of a bit.ch!” Sehun snapped. He grabbed the baseball bat from the floor but before he could take a step forward:

“Hold him back.”

Jin Ki's men grabbed him by shoulders and he squirmed, a string of curses leaving his lips but he couldn't break free. His eyes burned, an apoplectic rage blinding him.

“If anything happens to her I'll murder you!” Sehun yelled. “Let go damn it.”

“Calm down, wolf boy”, Jin Ki sighed a laugh. “She is fine. I will make sure she gets home safely”, he rest assured, his voice now calm and kind. “We don't want any trouble”, he then added mostly to himself.

 

Eventually struggling and furious Sehun had been wrestled into yet another room and forced to take a seat on a leather couch. He refused to calm down, unable to let go of the idea that something indescribably horrible was happening to Da Hyun at this moment. His behavior amused Jin Ki and he laughed benevolently instead of being irritated. In the end he sent one of his men to get Da Hyun so Sehun could calm down. Only the man came back saying that she had disappeared.

“What do you mean?” Jin Ki asked in disbelief.

Upon hearing these words the flames in Sehun's eyes grew even stronger and he attempted to break free from the hold of Jin Ki's men.

“Calm down before I tie you up, hero”, the elder man hissed. “I'm trying to think.”

“Sir, I think she escaped. We found the ropes she had been tied with in the room and the window was open.”

“How could she escape?” Sehun shrieked, his eyes filling with disbelief. She was only a tiny woman, helpless and weak. At least that's how he thought. He couldn't have been more wrong about that.

“Check the CCTV first”, Jin Ki said with a frown and then shifted his gaze at Sehun. “She is capable of a lot of things so stop worrying. Kang Min is under my control, he won't touch her.”

Sehun's frown deepened his eyes drilling into Jin Ki's calm face but he found nothing suspicious in the latter's eyes. So he decided to stay put and at least listen to what this man would say. A frustrated sigh left his lips and he lowered his gaze, relaxing his body.

“Good”, Jin Ki nodded, signaling for his men to retreat. “Leave us.”

 

Silence fell in the room. The older male clasped his hands behind his back and took his time to observe Sehun who was slouching on the sofa, his elbows propped on his thighs and his gaze lowered. He was breathing sharply, worn out from earlier beating and his little fit of anger just now, definitely in pain too. A friendly smile tugged at the corners of Jin Ki's lips and the look in his eyes softened.

 

“I might not seem like it at the moment but ever since taking you to the hospital I have been looking for an opportunity to thank you”, he said softly, his eyes observing Sehun's reaction. The latter wiped a trail of blood from his chin and glanced up with his charming intent eyes. Jin Ki liked his eyes, they held certain power to them.

“Did I meet you during those four months I don't remember?” Sehun grunted, shifting his gaze at the edge of the coffee table. He reminded Jin Ki of a sulking child. Very cute.

“Yes”, he answered with a smile. “You got hit by a car when you saved me and were reconciled with your family when I took you to the hospital. I wanted to meet you but decided to wait until you regain your memories. It's a good thing I came by back then otherwise I wouldn't have recognized you just now, I didn't know you had a pretty face like that.”, he spoke with ease, his voice now friendly and jolly. As if he was reminiscing about some old good memories. “Who knew we'd meet again in such a way...”

 

Hearing these words about saving the old man's life didn't ring a bell, Sehun had no memories about such events. But if Jin Ki said so them it must have happened. However, he'd think about this all later, now he needed to concentrated on more important matters.

“What are you planning to do with me?” Sehun asked in suspicion. His voice was far from friendly or amused, it was stern and cold.

Jin Ki shook his head, heaving a laughter. “Is it that hard for you to relax?”

Sehun uttered a dry bitter chuckle. “For all I know you might pull out a gun and kill me any minute now. So yeah, it's a bit hard to relax”, his voice laced with irony.

“I won't touch you”, Jin Ki rest assured. He ed his blazer and pulled it open revealing that he had no weapons on him. “I have another thing to discuss with you.”

Sehun narrowed his eyes at the man, his brows furrowing.

“You saved my life and I haven't paid back yet”, Jin Ki flashed a lopsided smile. He managed to look like a nice innocent man and it was a bit confusing. Just now he had been threatening Sehun with death and now he was talking to him gently even offering help. Either it was split personality or then he was simply crazy. “So I wanted to hear if there is anything you want or need. I'm no miracle man but I can do pretty much anything.”

“Promise me that Da Hyun's safety will never be threatened again”, Sehun blurted without thinking. He surprised even himself with his request but seeing how dangerous Kang Min could be he couldn't just ignore it. He disliked her but he didn't want her to be traumatized either. Besides, it was his duty to protect citizens from danger.

 

A friendly smile twisted Jin Ki's lips and his eyes filled with warmth. He was pleased with this request but shook his head. “You are...” he started to say but his voice faded away. “You don't need to ask me that.”

Sehun raised his brows in surprise, not exactly the words he had expected to hear. Maybe she already had someone backing her? Someone dangerous. More dangerous than this man.

“So, anything else?”

“What do you mean?” Sehun narrowed his eyes again.

“Stop prying into it.”

“Who are you?”

“Don't be too curious”, Jin Ki shook his index finger in the mid air. “You don't need to know anything about me and it's better if you don't even try to find out. You don't want to piss me off.”

 

Sehun's eyes darted at Jin Ki, then at something else before returning at the older man again. It would be better to not annoy him, he knew that well. So he gathered and organized his thoughts, grimacing from the pain he realized he was feeling all over. He rubbed his shoulder, closing his eyes for a moment.

 

“You better see a doctor and add something cold to your tongue if you don't want it double in size”, Jin Ki said in amusement. “It's going to be uncomfortable for a few days.” He noticed Sehun wasn't even paying attention and shook his head, sighing a laugh.

“Right”, Sehun suddenly realized. He stopped rubbing his shoulder and straightened up in his seat. “Let me proceed with both cases”, he said with dead serious face.

“You are testing my patience, I swear. Such a wolf boy”, Jin Ki rubbed his temple. “Let's just say that the justice has been practiced on those two cases. You don't need to bother anymore.”

 

The meaning behind those words was crystal clear to Sehun It meant revenge had been delivered and whoever was behind the murders had been taken care of. But he was now too interested to back off just yet.

“Then tell me what happened.”

“It's obvious you have nothing on your mind right now”, Jin Ki muttered. “All right, I'll give you some time to think about it.”

“I want to hear about those two cases, that's all”, Sehun said sternly.

“That's all?” Jin Ki raised a brow. “You saved my life, how can I repay with something so petty?”

“I am modest enough to accept.”

“No my friend, you better save your wish for later. There will be time when you will need my help.”

Sehun gave him a hard stare, carefully weighing the meaning behind the man's words. There was a knowing look in Jin Ki's eyes, as if he was giving a hint Sehun couldn't quite grasp.

“Go, go and rest”, Jin Ki smiled. “I'll find you when the time is right.”

“What about Da Hyun?” Sehun asked with concern.

 

“I told you not to worry. Don't worry about her, worry about yourself.”

 

It sounded almost like a threat.

Almost.

 

There was always a surprise when it came to Da Hyun. In this case it was a tall handsome young man in black fitting suit and a hands free behind his ear. He knew the pass code to her apartment and had permission to enter on his own so no doubt he was close to her. He smiled with relief when he saw Da Hyun and took it upon himself to take care of her. Sehun could only watch from the side and frown. Jealousy eating him inside out. Who was this handsome stranger?

 

Hong Kyu placed Da Hyun on the bed and sat beside her, leaning over her face to examine her wounds. His fingers followed the cut at the hairline, flicking bangs off her forehead at the same time. He took off the bandage, arranging her hair a bit better. Lastly he took a look at her wrists, knowing exactly how she had gotten those wounds, a proud smile tugging at his lips. He was concerned but not worried, knowing that none of this could be undone anyway.

 

Finally he covered her with a comforter up to her chin, stood up and faced Sehun and Jongin. The latter was here because Sehun had called him for a ride and he sure had a lot of questions about what had happened. Why was Sehun's eye black? Why was Da Hyun in such a bad condition. Who was this new guy? And he was not going to leave before he got the answers.

 

“For the starters, may I ask who you two are?” Hong Kyu smiled politely as they all walked out from Da Hyun's bedroom.

“I'm Kim Jongin, a detective”, Jongin answered promptly.

“A detective?” Hong Kyu asked in surprise but with humor in his eyes. “Is this about Kang Min?”

“I'm hoping to prove that”, Jongin nodded.

“And you?” Hong Kyu turned to look at Sehun who had an irritated expression on his face. He looked at the younger male with contempt in his eyes and scoffed silently.

“Prosecutor”, he said indifferently.

“Oh Sehun”, Jongin finished for him.

“Do you two work together?”
Jongin flashed an awkward smile. “It's a bit complicated.”

“You are making me feel suspicious”, Hong Kyu joked with some truth to it.

“And who are you?” Sehun asked sternly.

“Oh, how impolite from me. My name is Choi Hong Kyu, security.”

“In other words a bodyguard?” Jongin asked with a smile. “How cheesy.”

“I know, right?” Hong Kyu chuckled. “But I am mostly in charge of the villa's security and madame's personal matters”, he added.

“Why are you here then?” Sehun grumbled.

“Because our Da Hyun's safety is in danger”, Hong Kyu looked at him from the corners of his eyes. He knew this was Hyuk Jae's son but the guy was ruder than he had expected. There was no grace to him, especially in the way he was dressed.

“Don't mind him, he is always rude and arrogant. Just discuss it with me, he is the brains and I'm the face. Okay?” Jongin placed his hand on Hong Kyu's shoulder blade. “Should we sit down?”

“I can see why...” Hong Kyu smiled. “Right, first of all let's brew some coffee.”

 

Sehun couldn't believe his ears. There had been a kidnapping and these two were talking about coffee. He was so angry it shook him, his thoughts were falling apart. He couldn't understand how these two could just sit there and chit chat. When he saw them sitting at the kitchen table he couldn't take it anymore. Besides, when Hong Kyu had referred to Da Hyun as 'our Da Hyun' it rubbed him in a wrong way for some reason.

 

“Don't you two think she needs to be taken to the hospital?”

“I called the family doctor and he should be here soon”, Hong Kyu answered, leaning back in his chair. He seemed too relaxed for Sehun's liking.

“Relax dude”, said Jongin. “Everything has happened already and it can't be undone. The most important thing is that she is safe now.”

“Safe?” Sehun asked in disbelief. “You know it too, you know that Kang Min might have something to do with Kim Jung Woo and you know that Mi Rae had an affair with him and you know he has connections to the whole money laundering case. You know her father was murdered! You knew all this yet you sat on your fat a.ss and did nothing!” He yelled slamming, his hand on the table so hard Jongin's coffee spilled a little.

The latter squinted his eyes, his facial expression stiffening. Hong Kyu just sat back curious to see how this would play out. “I sat on my fat as.s and did nothing?” Jongin asked tensely. “What makes you think so?”

“You could have put it forward! So why? Why did you push the case back when I wasn't around? Why were you going to close Jung Woo's case? Why?”

Jongin bit his lips together, his eyes growing darker.

“Why aren't you saying anything? Is it because there is nothing you can say? Did he pay you that well?”
“You were the one who wanted to blame Da Hyun for it in the first place”, Jongin said through gritted teeth. “You were the one who said it's her and you refused to believe when I told you it wasn't so! Why the fu.ck did you change your mind so suddenly? Did you really just believe her words when she told you about Jung Woo and Kang Min? Since when have you believed anyone's words so lightly?”

“Don't you try to change the subject now”, Sehun yapped.

“I'm not changing the subject”, Jongin glared at him. “Why did you change your mind? Last time I checked you were so sure about your genius little theory. You told me I was an idiot to mix Kang Min into this, you told me I was crazy! You asked me how come I didn't see the truth, you said it was just in front of my eyes. Why the fu.ck are you asking me now?”

“You really make no sense to me now”, Sehun said in disbelief.

“You neither. What do you have on you to prove that she wasn't involved? What?”

“Is this why you took over the case? So you could manipulate Ji Hwan from behind without me being around and do whatever Kang Min told you to do?”

“All I am trying to do is to buy more time so you could finally figure it out you moron!” Jongin yelled. “I got you one more month and what did you do with it?”

“No, seriously... Have you lost your mind? What are you talking about” Sehun frowned, he wasn't quite following anymore. “What the fu.ck are you trying to get at?”

“How come you are walking around like this? Did you escape or did they just let you go? What happened?” Jongin asked in suspicion. “She escaped but you... what about you?”

“That's what I would like to ask too”, Hong Kyu cut in. They both turned to look at him and he just shrugged, sipping his coffee. “Another thing what interests me about this all is what exactly is going on between you two? It's like you are working on the same case but at the same time against each other?”

Sehun crossed his arms over his chest and squinted his eyes at Jongin. The latter looked annoyed.

“There is someone who happens to own me his life and it happens so that Kang Min listens to him well.”

“And who might that be?” Jongin asked sternly.

“I have no idea about that”, Sehun answered blandly.

“Mind elaborating a bit more?”

“It's a long story and my memory about that time is not clear but he seems to be in control.”

“Fine, let's say he let you go this once. What next? Will it be your turn to do a favor for him?”

Sehun rubbed his forehead. “I can't believe money could change you so much. I thought you were better than this.”

 

Jongin stood up with such speed his chair made a horrible noise as it slid on the floor. He wanted to say something but he didn't know how to articulate his thoughts. His lips parted but no voice came out.

 

“What? Are you suddenly feeling guilty?” Sehun mocked.

“One random night on your way home someone attacked you and tried to kill you but you survived. Don't you even wonder why that happened?” Jongin asked angrily.

Sehun frowned. “What do you mean?”

“I knew something like that would happen but I had no idea they'd do it to you!”
“You knew?” Sehun felt his heart tightening in his chest and his mouth became dry all of a sudden.

“Someone contacted me and told me to close Jung Woo's the case. They warned me, saying that if I don't close it something unfortunate would happen. Even boss told me to let it go!”

“Is that how you tried to save yourself?” Sehun asked bitterly.

“Is that really how high you think of me?” Jongin snapped, hurt flashing in his eyes. “I thought my partner was dead, I couldn't concentrate on work for weeks, I couldn't sleep at nights! I thought I'd never see you again. I didn't even know who was behind it but I was not going to forgive anyone, especially not myself. Do you really have so little trust in me?” Jongin shrieked.

“Then why didn't you say anything earlier? Why did you let things get this far” Sehun snapped.

Jongin scoffed. “Did you give me a chance? You told me I was a sad excuse of a human being, that I should go and die somewhere. You couldn't even look at me because I was so disgusting and sickening. And now you are asking me why I didn't tell you? I thought fine, I will never give up on the truth even if it kills me. But apparently I am not even worth dying! Well fu.ck you!” Jongin kicked his chair at Sehun, giving him one last glare before he his heels and left, slamming the front door shut behind himself.

 

“That was... intense?” Hong Kyu blinked. He shifted his eyes at Sehun just in time to see him fainting.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter