Chapter 13

Nothing's Over
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 13: The Impact

 

It was a bit hard to talk himself into entering Da Hyun's company but Sehun managed to do it, anyway. He was a prosecutor and thus held certain authority people respected, all he needed to do was splutter some lies about why he needed to meet the CEO. Of course, his flirting skills came handy in this kind of situation and he managed to melt the ladies at the reception with his suave manners and husky voice. His close lipped smiles were firm and humorless giving him a sense of authority and occasional grins gave him a tint of friendliness. Sehun was a machine when it came to controlling people and that's how he ended up standing in the elevator on his way to the highest floor with his backpack hanging coolly from only one shoulder. He didn't really like backpacks...

 

When he came out he passed and elder man with gray hair and trimmed mustache. Their gazes met for a fleeting second and latter's eyes squinted a little but his attention was soon elsewhere. Sehun thought this man looked familiar but he couldn't quite point where he had seen him. Tilting his head to the side and pouting his lips he continued his way towards Da Hyun's office, stopping at the secretary's desk. She still remembered him and welcomed him with a bright smile as her boss' boyfriend.

 

It was the lunch hour but Da Hyun wasn't feeling hungry at all. She had just met up with Mr. Choi to discuss important company related matters, though she had had difficulties concentrating because all she could think about at the moment was Kang Min. She was wondering how he would use the photographs (which were taken the previous night) against her. And just thinking about Mr. Choi's disappointed face made her want to shrink in shame and disappear. She couldn't believe she had made such a mistake, such a stupid idiotic mistake. The consequences would be lethal.

 

Leaning back in her chair Da Hyun closed her eyes and let out a long strained sigh. She heard the door opening and light footsteps followed. “Secretary Kim”, her voice was cold and authoritative. ”Please contact Mr. Lee from Sensations magazine and ask if he has time for dinner today or tomorrow. Tell him it's urgent.”

 

There was no reply and her eyes fluttered open, her shoulders stiffening at the sight. It was Sehun standing in front of her desk, giving her a dull look. Her eyes fell briefly on the backpack he was holding in his hands but she took no note of how good he looked in the clothes she had picked for him. He was dressed in a biker jacket, dark jeans and v-neck knit sweater, his fancy belt peeked from under the shirt which was slightly tucked in the pants in the front. On his feet he was wearing black motocross inspired leather boots. Wild and wealthy. His hair was in a controlled mess and his eyes full of mystery.

 

“How did you get in here?” Da Hyun asked strictly, a frown settling on her pretty face. As always she was sporting the jacket suit with a pencil skirt, her hair styled like usual and her makeup strong and powerful, making her look a bit older than her actual age. Sehun was already getting bored of her style but he did wonder what kind of underwear she was wearing underneath, like a pleasant surprise. He his lips, shifting his eyes off her and scolding himself mentally for such thoughts.

 

“Does that matter?” he muttered lazily, placing the backpack on the desk. Answering her and asking himself at the same time. Her underwear, did that even matter? Eventually he'd want her to take it off anyway, like a candy wrapper, he snickered inwardly.

 

She kept her glassy eyes on him as she grabbed the handset of the telephone, which was placed at the edge of her desk, and quickly dialed a short number. He opened the backpack and started taking out the huge three tiered lunchbox Jongin had prepared but his hands stopped moving and he blinked when he heard what she was saying.

 

“I want you to fire every single person who was at the reception within last 20 minutes. For breaking security rules. Now!” she ordered with angry undertone. Then she smacked the handset on the top of the phone and glared at Sehun. “Get out of here.”

He scoffed in disbelief. “You are ruining their lives because of?”

“Get out before I call the security.” She knew she was being harsh on the poor employees but she couldn't risk having such feeble people working for her. Today it was Sehun what about tomorrow? If he could get in that meant anyone could. Of course, he would never understand her way of thinking but he didn't need to. And she would never understand that if Sehun could do something that didn't mean anyone could do the same. She would understand that later.

“If you are angry then take it out on me”, he snarled, thinking that this was the Da Hyun he had always hated, this was her. Arrogant, smug and haughty. “Cancel the dismissal.”

“This is the last warning. Get out!” Da Hyun pursed her lips together and furrowed her brows, her eyes throwing daggers at him.

“I'm not leaving before you cancel that unfair dismissal”, Sehun stated arrogantly, crossing his arms over his chest.

“What do you want from me?” Da Hyun asked tensely. “Why are you here?”

A teasing smirk twisted his lips. “How about I tell you once you do what I asked you to do?”

 

Da Hyun got on her feet, her eyes falling on the lunchbox he had placed on her desk. She scoffed inwardly, was this his lousy attempt to apologize and make amends? She was in no mood for useless arguing, nor eating. And simply seeing his face was making her feel sick and tired. With one swift movement of her hand she pushed the box over the edge but he caught it before it could fall on the floor.

 

“Yah! Do you know how hard Jongin worked on this?” Sehun shrieked, hugging the box to his chest. His friend was an amazing chef and everything he cooked was delicious. He would never forgive anyone who disrespected Jongin's cooking.

“Then why don't you go and eat it with him instead?” Da Hyun muttered, feeling a bit guilty for being so mean. How was she supposed to know someone had cooked this? She thought he had bought it. “I am not hungry.”

“You are going to eat this”, Sehun growled. “And you are going to can-”

“You are getting repetitive”, Da Hyun cut him off. “If there is nothing else you wanted to say then leave.”

Sehun glared at her furiously as he placed the lunchbox on the desk. “You are eating this or I will force it down your throat”, he warned. “Don't play with my patience.”

“I see”, Da Hyun said emotionlessly, picking up the handset of the phone.

 

But as she was dialing the number of security Sehun grabbed the handset from her hand and slammed it on the top of the phone, cursing her in his mind when his fierce eyes settled on her face. She was being so difficult it was driving him to madness. Da Hyun didn't say anything, she only looked at him disapprovingly – with certain icy authority which sent shivers down his spine – before grabbing the handset again. He snatched it away and when she tried to take it back he held it higher above his head. Frustration ate Da Hyun, she couldn't believe he would resort to something this childish. She didn't have energy nor patience to waste on him and wished he'd leave her alone already.

 

“First you cancel that dismissal and then you eat. After that I'll leave.”

 

He was clearly satisfied to see her struggling as she jumped up to grab the handset, never managing to reach it. Da Hyun gritted her teeth and her fingers curled into tight fists. If he wanted to play then fine, and without any sort of warning she sank her heavy fist into his stomach. Sehun gasped in surprise and doubled over from pain. She grabbed the handset and quickly brought it to her ear. But even though in pain Sehun was not going to give up. He grabbed scissors from the pencil stand and cut the line before Da Hyun could call the security. She gaped at him in disbelief while he smirked smugly. Her eyes darted at the handset and slowly anger started forming on her face.

 

“What the fu.ck is your problem?” she snapped, tossing the handset at his chest. He caught it and placed on the top of the phone. “When will you leave me alone? What the he.ll do you want now?”

“Do you hate me?” Sehun asked mockingly, his gaze sharpening. “Isn't it tiring?”
 

She clenched her jaw, running her fingers though her hair. It was tiring as he.ll, she was tired. He always popped up at random times and places messing with her carefully arranged thoughts and making her blood boil.

 

“You know, this is not even near to what I had to go through”, he commented blandly, crossing his arms over his chest, his intent eyes never leaving her face. “Didn't I tell you? That I would make you understand thoroughly just what it is that you did to me.” If she was tired of this little then how tired was he for hating her all his life?

 

“I don't know what you are talking about”, Da Hyun muttered angrily. “But I know that I don't give a fu.ck.” She eyed him in suspicion. He was not a prosecutor, he was a demon sent straight from hell to ruin her mentality. His mission was to make her go crazy, no doubt. And he was doing good.

“Well, no one said it would be easy to escape from me”, Sehun let out a cold chuckle, winking at her. “Babe...”

That was it, she didn't intend to listen to his pointless mockery for any longer. Without another word Da Hyun spun on her heels and made her way towards the door but there was a knock before she could even reach it.

“Yes?” she asked in loud voice and the door started opening. Her secretary peeked in with a timid little grin on her face.

“Shin Kang Min is here to see you”, she whispered. “What should I tell him?”

“He is here?” Da Hyun asked with a scoff. What a coincidence, two a.ssholes at once. “Tell him to come in.” She threw a quick glance at Sehun who was still standing beside her desk with a frown on his face now. It wouldn't be good to have him present while talking with Kang Min and she was about to walk out the door when...

 

“Good afternoon, sister-in-law”, Kang Min smirked as he strolled in like he was at home. “Oh! You have company.” His smile widened when he spotted Sehun. The latter perked up, straightening his back and squinting his eyes.

“Wait”, Da Hyun said sharply. “Let's go and talk somewhere else.”

“No need”, Kang Min held up an envelope. “I only came to give you this.”

“That's...” Da Hyun swallowed when she realized what it was, her glassy eyes shifting from the envelope at Kang Min's face.

“Exactly”, the latter nodded. “You know what I want and what you want and what to do for things to end on a good note.”

 

Feigning ignorance, Da Hyun scoffed, grabbing the envelope from his hand. It would be a lie if she said that her heart was not beating restlessly when she ripped the envelope open. Or that her hands weren't sweating. She was nervous and she could tell that Kang Min was waiting eagerly to see her reaction. But she would not give him that satisfaction. Never! Not a muscle on her face stirred when she went through the photographs which displayed her disgraced body. Meanwhile her insides were burning and flipping over.

 

“These are just preprints but they turned out quite good, don't you agree?” Kang Min smirked. “The last one is my favorite”, he pointed out. Da Hyun's eyes widened a little and her hands started trembling. Covered by his hair the man's face was not visible, he was holding her body which was wrapped in the familiar white collar shirt and he was kissing her. The photographs fell from Da Hyun's hands and she glared at Kang Min.

“Imagine what kind of scandal it would be if I revealed the whole story?” He taunted with a mocking grin. “Who he is, what he does and you know...”

Pressing her lips into a thin line she tore the last photograph into tiny pieces.

“What is this?” Sehun asked sharply when he picked up one of the photographs. He had walked to the two without them noticing and once he saw Da Hyun's exposed body he shot her a questioning look.

“Well”, Kang Min chuckled and Sehun's eyes darted at him. “She had a blind date yesterday and then she went clubbing with the man. Who would have guessed the outcome would be like this?” He observed Sehun's facial expressions as the latter examined the photograph with a dissatisfied frown.

“Do whatever you want”, Da Hyun spat. “You can try whatever dirty tricks you have up your sleeve but know that the consequences will be even worse.”

“I can't wait to find out what you will do”, Kang Min just couldn't wipe that sly smirk off his face. “I mean... if you get kicked out from here then the CEO position would be open once again”, he added idly. “We all know what that means.” That meant he would have another chance.

“Why do you have these photographs?” Sehun blurted, glancing between Da Hyun and Kang Min, the two looked at him indifferently.

“Why don't you ask her?” A small mocking smile spread on Kang Min's lips. He sensed anger in the prosecutor's features and decided it would be better to leave now. He had said what he had wanted to and even though he wouldn't have minded taunting Da Hyun for a bit longer he was not in the mood for a fight.

 

Sehun stared at her intently when she squatted down to gather the scattered photographs.

“What happened?” he asked eagerly, all sorts of horrible thoughts flashing through his mind. He couldn't believe Da Hyun was taking everything so calmly. “Tell me what happened.”

“It was as he said”, she answered lifelessly. “Are you shocked?”

“You are telling me you were drunk and on drugs with some dude in a bar?” Sehun asked sourly.

 

His eyes were on her as she straightened up with the photographs in a neat pile in her hands. Throwing one nonchalant glance his way Da Hyun turned her back at him and walked to her desk. It didn't go unnoticed from her that he was holding one of the photographs on which her chest was clearly visible and a sigh left her lips. How many times had he seen her already? And why was he still not leaving? Why did he even care abut this at all? She wasn't sure how long she could keep up with the calm and collected act.

 

“Maybe that's my definition of having fun.” There was a shade of tiredness in her voice andSehun stared at her straight back and shoulders. She was leaning over her desk examining an open file, suddenly concentrating on something work related. Clearly trying to distract herself.

“Then what does Jongin have to do with this all?”

“Could you please leave?” her voice cracked a little and she quickly cleared hoping he hadn't noticed anything.

 

Of course, Sehun wasn't stupid. Taking in account her disorderly state the night before and Jongin's worry, it was obvious to him what had happened. She had thrown up too and that indicated to her being drugged, if she had not been then would she have let anyone do such things to herself? Her palm was injured. The question was: how come she so stubbornly kept denying everything? Was there a reason for her to want him to believe the worst of her? He flinched when the photograph was snatched away.

 

“How long are you planning to stare?” Da Hyun shot him a glare, the corners of her lips tugging downwards. “And why are you still here?”

“I said that...” Sehun's voice faded away and he blinked. She displayed absolutely no emotion other than irritation and he wasn't sure how to act around her anymore. Should he show compassion? But she clearly didn't want anything like that. And if he left now what would she do? Would she cry? Who wouldn't? “What do I care?”, he wondered by himself but how could he not care? Especially knowing what kind of damage these kind of photographs could have on her career. What if they were uploaded on the Internet for literally everyone to see? And how far had things gone last night? Was she ? His face turned pale at such thoughts and he held his breath. Then, after she had gone through so much misfortune what had he done? Yelled at her, cursed her, told her to get . No wonder Jongin wanted him to apologize. Sehun's heart really went out for Da Hyun this time as a distant memory flashed through his mind.

 

“Looks like I really have to call the security”, Da Hyun let out a frustrated sigh but before she could push the door open she was pushed against the door herself. Surprised gasp left her lips when Sehun spun her around and her back slammed into the wooden surface. There was a determined gloomy look in his eyes as his fingers swiftly ed a few upper buttons of her collar shirt.

“Wh-what are you doing?” she asked in shock when he started to pull her shirt aside, revealing the burns.

“What is this?” His eyes darted at her face.

“Just part of the fun”, Da Hyun blurted. She pushed his hand away and quickly covered the exposed skin, sending him a disapproving look. This man sure knew how to get at her nerves.

“Part of the fun?” Sehun repeated with a tint of irony in his voice, his brown eyes searching hers. There was something gentle in them but only for a fleeting moment before he hid all his emotions under intense darkness. “You are telling me what happened right now”, he hissed, grabbing on her collar with one hand.

Da Hyun swallowed, somehow managing to keep her emotionless mask on. “Get off me before I report you to the police”, she grunted, grabbing his wrist but he held tightly onto her collar.

“Tell me!” He demanded, his sharp eyes drilling into hers. “Tell me right now.”

“Tell you what?” Da Hyun groaned.

“Tell me”, his voice softened and he leaned closer. Da Hyun blinked in surprise, pressing her back harder into the door, trying to escape his warmth. His gaze caught hers and their eyes locked, she was unable to look away, her body froze. Suddenly there was something timeless between them and they both felt it strongly. The sensation was numbing.

“Your story”, Sehun whispered through gritted teeth. “Tell me everything.” His cheek twitched, it was becoming harder and harder to keep his poker face especially when her eyes started drooping and her lips curved downwards as if she was about to cry. Was she really going to keep all the pain to herself like this?

 

No one is that strong Da Hyun, no one.

 

Da Hyun's trembling hands squeezed into tight fists and she bit her teeth together. Why was it suddenly so hard to control her emotions? She felt how tears started to burn her eyes, threatening to drop any second now. It was his warmth that enveloped her, his intent gaze which was making her drop her guard, as if he was going to take responsibility now and make sure that nothing bad would ever happen to her again. Placing one hand against the door beside her shoulder and the other forearm above her head he leaned even closer, his minty breath hitting her face. There was nothing compassionate or gentle in his brooding eyes. Maybe he was doing this on purpose? Maybe he just wanted to see her tears and laugh at her? To mock her weakness.

 

Da Hyun placed her palms on his chest wanting nothing but to push him away. But his eyes were telling her that he was not going anywhere no matter how many times she'd try to get rid of him. Reassuring. And somehow on their own her palms slid up his chest, slowly and hesitantly. His intent eyes never left hers, not until her arms wrapped around his neck and she pressed her shivering body against his, burying her face into the fragrant softness of his pullover. And only then, only when she was not looking anymore Sehun let his face relax and drop, sadness and worry reflecting in his eyes.

 

“Da Hyun”, he whispered as he wrapped his arms securely around her small body. “I'm sorry. I had no idea.” He took in a sharp breath and pressed his cheek against her hair. “I'm sorry.” Not sure what had taken over him, Sehun held onto her tightly, feeling her every restless heartbeat against his own chest. Her heart was screaming inside of her while she sniffled quietly, crying into his shirt. A gust of gentleness swept over Sehun and he was getting breathless all of a sudden. She fit so perfectly in his arms and he liked... He hated to admit but... he liked the fact that he was the one with her now. That it was him and not someone else. Yet... yet a part in him was still suspicious about her. Maybe all of this was just a well played act? Maybe, but he decided to forget about things like that for a while as he hushed her, his palm moving steadily across her trembling back.

 

There was just something about Sehun that always shook Da Hyun in the most uncomfortable ways. Somehow he managed to stir her emotions into a confusing mess, there was something about his eyes, something magical. Disbelief spread in Da Hyun's mind when she realized what she was doing. She was hugging him and crying in his arms, moreover he was holding her gently his warm palm caressing her back. She was not sure how long they had stood in such position but once she realized what was going on she darted away from him, shock evident on her face.

 

She gaped at the gentleness on his face, sympathy, warmth, kindness. He could make such a face too, she would have never guessed. But she didn't need any of it, she didn't need anyone. Biting her trembling lips together she wiped tears off her cheeks as she spun around and stomped to her desk. She knew very well that her makeup must have been ruined but once she fished out her pocket-mirror and saw her own reflection tears welled in her eyes. She crossed her arms over the desk and buried her face in them, crying even louder.

 

As always, to Sehun her reaction was weird and hard to explain. She had pulled away from the hug, glared at him viciously and gone to her desk to cry more. He sighed and ruffled his hair. What was he supposed to do now? Her quiet sobs filled the air and he felt extremely awkward. Then his eyes fell on the forgotten lunchbox.

 

“Hey, stop crying already”, he said softly as he walked to her desk. “How about eating?”

“Eating?” Da Hyun shrieked raising her head and Sehun flinched when he finally realized that her makeup was smeared. “Look at this face! Do I look like I want to eat?”

“Ugh”, he grinned awkwardly. “You look like you want to kill me.”

“Exactly. How can I eat when I look so horrible?” Da Hyun wailed. She picked up the mirror and looked into it, her lips curving downwards. “Oh my God, this is so horrible.” She pressed her fingers to her puffy skin.

Sehun gave her a dull look, placing his hands on his waist. “Are you crying because of your ruined makeup right now?” he asked in disbelief.

“If you were me then wouldn't you?”

“For God's sake”, he groaned, rolling his eyes. “Then go wash your face and stop whining.”

“How can I go somewhere looking like this?” Da Hyun argued, her voice filling with annoyance.

“Honestly speaking I don't have a fuc.cking clue what I am supposed to say now”, Sehun snarled. Ripping his gaze off her miserable face he started unwrapping the lunchbox. Jongin had instructed him to stay with Da Hyun and make her finish all the food. He was allowed to come back only with an empty lunchbox. Though, Sehun was not sure why he was being so obedient all of a sudden.

“Then shut up!”

“You shut up and eat”, Sehun muttered through gritted teeth. At this rate he'd never get to leave. He was getting annoyed once again because it was impossible to be around her and not get annoyed. He had no idea how Jongin did that.

“I'm not hungry”, Da Hyun sighed. She opened one of the drawers and took out baby wipes. “And don't put food on my desk. Can't you see I have important documents here! These can't get stained”, she complained. “You are so clueless...”

 

Shifting his narrowed eyes at her 'oh so important' face he scoffed. But he also noticed that she indeed had work related papers on her desk so he grabbed the lunchbox and carried it to the coffee table to the other side of the office where the small couch and two armchairs were situated. Inevitably a memory of his last visit flashed through his mind. How Jongin had thrown coffee on his face and how Da Hyun had thrown coffee at Jongin. He remembered how they had fought, falling on the armchair in the process, all that seemed so intimate all of a sudden when back then it had been such a serious argument. He couldn't believe over a month had passed, time sure flew by fast. And slowly he started to realize that he couldn't be indifferent around Da Hyun anymore. He sure tried his best but always failed.

 

“So what do you have here?” Da Hyun plopped to sit next to Sehun, her gaze on the food. He eyed her dully when she picked up a pair of disposable chopsticks and pouted her lips thinking about what to try first. The mascara stains were gone from her face and he thought that she looked so much better without makeup. “You didn't poison this, did you?” She glanced at him in suspicion.

“You said you weren't hungry”, Sehun commented dryly, turning his head away from her. With red swollen eyes she looked so vulnerable and that made him want to protect her. “Crazy, all these crazy thoughts.”

“Since you were so kind and came all the way... to get some of my employees dismissed”, Da Hyun said sarcastically. “I thought I should at least eat a little bit.”

 

Her comment really got to him. How was he supposed to apologize now? He watched how she was about to pick something with her chopsticks and – in annoyance – he moved the lunchbox tier out of her reach. She moved closer to him so she could reach but he moved it again. This time she scooted so close their thighs touched, startling Sehun a bit but nevertheless, he moved the lunchbox again.

 

“Would you stop that?” Da Hyun shot him a quick glare before placing her palm on his knee for support as she arched her body forward. He felt the whole effect of her being so close, her fingers burned his knee as if they were fire and he caught a whiff of her scent. Why was she torturing him like this? Swallowing hard, Sehun could only stare at her as she stuffed while still partially hunched over his lap. He caught a glimpse of her white bra through her ed collars and that was too much for him to handle. In one swift movement he pushed the lunchbox tier back in front of her but her hand stayed on his knee even when she leaned into the opposite direction. The food tasted so delicious Da Hyun didn't even realize where her hand was. Suddenly she was hungry.

 

“Oh my God, this is so good”, she mumbled with full. “You have to taste this.”

“I don't...” Sehun's eyes widened when she angled her body sideways bringing her chopsticks towards him. But unfortunately, whatever she had pinched between them fell on his jeans and smeared the dark fabric. Immediately he narrowed his eyes at her.

“Oops, sorry”, Da Hyun grinned. She grabbed a tissue and started to wipe the stain. Sehun's body stiffened when she rubbed his inner thigh without even realizing how close her fingers were to his crotch.

“What the hell do you think you are doing?” He shrieked, pushing her hand away.

Da Hyun frowned at him. “Sorry for trying to help...”

“Help?” Sehun scoffed, cocking an eyebrow. “Why didn't you move your hand a bit higher then?”

 

Her eyes darted at the stain and she realized what he meant, faint blush spreading on her cheeks. And to make her feel even more awkward – or that's how she took it – he leaned closer and wiped sauce from the corner of her lips with his thumb.

 

“Why don't you take care of yourself first?” His voice was husky and his lips tugged into a small teasing smile, his eyes glinting playfully. He his thumb clean, oblivious to his own habitual flirting. Moving closer to the edge of the couch and closer to the coffee table, he glanced over the food and swallowed. It looked and smelled delicious, besides there was too much and Da Hyun wouldn't be able to finish by herself anyway so he grabbed a pair of chopsticks.

 

Beside him, Da Hyun sat frozen. Why did she suddenly feel like hugging him? It was obvious to her that she was not in her right mind and that she would later regret everything. She was already regretting crying in front of him and hugging him earlier. Nothing made sense to her anymore, she was too shaken up, too worn out and too confused. What happened the night before, what happened earlier, what was happening now. Everything felt like a dream. Just a strange dream. Da Hyun knew she should get a hold of herself, she needed to arrange her thoughts properly and snap out of whatever she was thinking at the moment. But everything was a mess and the corners of her lips tugged downwards. She would have been just fine if Sehun hadn't showed up because it was him who made her feel like... being protected could be wonderful instead of shameful. For once...

 

“What are you staring at?” Sehun mumbled, glancing at her from the corners of his eyes. “Admiring my looks?” he teased dryly. Da Hyun only shook her head, on a second note... who the hell would want to hug this a.sshole from their own will? Who knew what games he was playing with Eun Yoo and Jongin? He was disgusting, cruel and stupid. Losing her appetite, she got up on her feet and straightened her skirt. Sehun gave her a questioning look.

 

“As I told you earlier I'm not hungry”, Da Hyun went back to her cold business attitude. It would be the best to not drop her guard near him. She didn't want any more stupid accidents happening and she hated to give him reasons to . That was childish, anyway.

“Gosh, you are so bipolar”, Sehun scoffed, thinking about a few minutes ago when she was acting all cute.

“And you aren't?” Da Hyun raised a brow.

“Fine”, Sehun groaned in defeat. He didn't need another argument so he placed his chopsticks down and stood up too, towering over her. “I'll leave.”

“Finally”, she breathed out in relief.

“But you are not firing anyone”, he quickly added.

“If you feel so bad why don't you hire them or something”, Da Hyun scoffed. “This is my company and you get no say in what I do here”, her voice got a warning undertone. There was certain authority to her and he thought it was y, her body was suddenly clouding his mind and he found it hard to think straight anymore. “White underwear, huh?” Why was it so hard to be around her? And why was it so hard to get along with her?

“You are so...” Sehun muttered, swallowing hard. “So...”

“What?”

“Never mind...” He averted his eyes from her face.

“Tsh, no wonder you didn't inherit your father's company”, Da Hyun sighed, flipping her hair. “You are too softhearted for your own good.”

 

Sehun couldn't believe his ears.

She was calling him softhearted.

Him?

 

Parting with Da Hyun was always hard. It was difficult to explain and Sehun was not quite sure about his own feelings either but he was sure that he was somehow slowly getting addicted. There was never enough of her. He wanted to know and see more. Figuring her out was entertaining (albeit irritating as heck at times) and he was afraid that one day he'd not be satisfied with knowing more but would want to know everything. Maybe one of these days he'd find himself being unable to stop. He was like that, when he set his eyes on something he found it difficult to let go.

 

She was supposed to be hateful but she wasn't. She was anything but hateful. She always thought of others before herself, she was responsible and reliable. She was a good person, most probably even better than him. And slowly Sehun was staring to understand just how much he had misunderstood Da Hyun all the while. But at the same time he wondered if he was affected only because she was pretty and had a desirable body. Maybe she was not as great as he now imagined? Maybe it was all just ual attraction? He was so terribly confused.

 

*

 

Because Da Hyun considered herself a polite person who had to maintain a good reputation she decided to pay a visit to Jongin's apartment to return the lunchbox. She didn't go right after work because she wanted to take a break and relax a bit. After a short afternoon nap and a long shower she felt quite refreshed. And not in the mood to wear anything classy she settled for a pair of jeans and a hooded sweater, her makeup too was rather light compared to her usual style.

 

But to her dismay Jongin was not home. Her shoulders sank a little when no one came to open the door no matter how many times she rang the doorbell. She had anticipated meeting him because she wanted to invite him for a drink to ask about his relationship with Kang Min. There was a huge possibility he wouldn't say anything but she could at least try. All these plans went down the drain now, especially when she didn't even have his phone number.

 

It had been such a long time since Da Hyun had felt so lonely the last time. Staring at the lunch box she contemplated whether she should leave it in front of the door but what if someone took it? What if Sehun showed up to nag her about it later? Just the thought abut having him around the office made he shudder. By simply showing his arrogant face he had caused her to fire three people and now some crazy rumors were probably spreading all over the company. Anyhow, she felt like it had been cowardly from Jongin to not come himself but to send his friend.

 

Some twenty minutes later Da Hyun found herself standing in front of Sehun's apartment. Since she had gone out to return the lunchbox she could as well go all the way. She'd just hand the lunchbox to him and leave, that's all. But awkwardness crept under her skin as she thought about the strange kiss they had shared in front of his apartment after the kidnapping. She swallowed nervously, her finger hovering hesitantly above the doorbell. Why would he ask her to kiss him? That was so damn strange. Slightly annoyed by the memory, she took in a sharp breath and quickly fixed her facial expression. For once and for all Da Hyun decided that she would not let anything – what had happened with Sehun so far – get at her. She simply wouldn't think about any of it anymore. Ever! With determined mindset she rang the doorbell and waited patiently.

 

It was Eun Yoo who opened the door and Da Hyun's eyes widened in shock. She was afraid to be terribly misunderstood but before she could even start explaining Eun Yoo flashed a wide happy smile and pulled her into the apartment. Da Hyun was about to insist that she was there just to drop off the lunchbox and would leave right away when bright laughter caught her attention and she blinked.

 

“Honey, you have to see this”, Sehun's relaxed voice piped in. “This is so freaking funny, I swe...ar.” His face soon came in to the view and in an instant that carefree smile was wiped away, familiar frown settling across his features. Da Hyun stared at him weirdly because it had been such a shock to actually see him in a good mood, even if it had been only for two seconds. His voice had sounded different, gentler and nicer. Then her eyes fell on his bare chest, he was wearing only loose sweatpants, the elastic band of his boxers showing clearly and his hair was damp. He had a small towel hanging around his neck and was rubbing it against his hair with his left hand while holding his phone in his right.

 

“Look who I found behind the door”, Eun Yoo exclaimed happily, looking between Da Hyun and Sehun with a bright smile.

“What are you doing here?” Sehun grunted, clearly dissatisfied to see Da Hyun at his doorsteps.

“Good evening to you too”, she sighed, giving him a sour look. “I just came by to return this since Jongin wasn't home.”

Sehun's eyes fell on the lunchbox and then he thoroughly scanned Da Hyun's face.

“Stop looking at her like she is some kind of criminal”, Eun Yoo shot Sehun a meaningful look but then quickly turned to smile at Da Hyun. “Since you are here how about having some tea?”

“Thank you for the offer but I-” Da Hyun trailed off when she glanced at Sehun who was giving her this haughty look she didn't quite like. He was making it quite clear that he didn't want to have her around and that made her want to stay for a bit longer just to annoy him. “You know what, why not? Tea sounds really good”, Da Hyun grinned at Eun Yoo.

“Great! I baked cookies yesterday and they turned out just perfect”, Eun Yoo exclaimed happily, clasping her hands together.

“Hey, those are my cookies”, Sehun protested. “Besides it's getting late.”

“Aw, stop complaining Mr. Grump”, Eun Yoo teased. “I'll bake a new batch tomorrow.”

 

Sehun's lips curved downwards and he sulked like a little boy who just god scolded. Seeing the face he was making Da Hyun covered her lips with her fist to hide her smile, he had his cute moments too. He narrowed his eyes and shot her a warning look while she took off her shoes and jacket.

 

“Where was the the bathroom again?” Da Hyun asked as she followed Eun Yoo into the living room.

“Don't you have any manners?” Sehun scoffed.

“Hey”, Eun Yoo shot him a short glare before beaming at Da Hyun. “Second door on the left”, she instructed happily.

“Who asks for a bathroom first thing when they visit someone?” Sehun muttered under his breath. Earning a slap on his chest from Eun Yoo. “What? Besides, have you forgotten how thin the walls are in this apartment?” a smirk tugged at his lips when he glanced at Da Hyun who only rolled her eyes.

“Sehun, I swear if you don't stop being rude right now I will never bake those cookies for you again”, Eun Yoo threatened.

“What?” His eyes widened and his lips parted. “You can't do that to me!”

“It will be your own fault. You shouldn't be so rude to her.”

 

A smile tugged at Da Hyun's lips when she walked towards the bathroom, leaving the cute couple behind. Though, seeing them together made her also feel uneasy, the reason being Sehun. He made it seem like the two were in love yet he still flirted with other people. So mendacious and secretive. Da Hyun couldn't but pity Eun Yoo yet she was happy for the girl at the same time. How confusing.

 

When Da Hyun came from the bathroom she found the two in the kitchen, Eun Yoo was standing at the counter arranging cookies on a plate and Sehun stood behind her, his arms wrapped around her waist.

“Go away”, she pouted cutely.

“One more”, he murmured into her neck, making her giggle and she held up a cookie for him but he pecked her on the lips instead.

“Stop that”, Eun Yoo pushed his face away. He smiled, pecking her on the cheek once before snatching the cookie from her hand and stepping aside, releasing her from his embrace.

 

Witnessing such an intimate scene made Da Hyun feel a bit awkward, like an intruder, and she swallowed hard trying to act indifferent about it. She had nothing against people acting lovey-dovey but she was not used to seeing it and didn't really know how to react. When she saw that Sehun was going to turn around she pretended that she was just coming from the bathroom.

 

“Oh you were there”, he said indifferently as he tossed the rest of the cookie into his mouth. “You took your time in the bathroom, huh? Did you take a sh-”

“You try saying that and see what happens”, Eun Yoo cut him off and when her head turned at Da Hyun she was all smiles again. “Please take a seat.”

“Uh, yes...” Da Hyun muttered with a polite smile as she grabbed a chair and pulled it out for herself, taking a seat across from Eun Yoo who sat beside Sehun after finishing setting the table.

“So you baked these cookies yourself, unni?” Da Hyun asked.

“Yes, I hope you will like them.”

“These look delicious.”

“Not only look but they are delicious”, Sehun corrected, with a crooked smile.

“I don't doubt that”, Da Hyun said matter-of-factly, sending him a quick look. He was so different from his usual self, so relaxed and laid back.“Unni is good at cooking.”

“I'm not that good”, Eun Yoo blushed at the compliment.

“True, you are even better”, Da Hyun grinned as she reached for a cookie and her eyes widened because – to her horror – she had somehow managed to grab the same cookie Sehun had reached for.

 

They stared at each other in surprise for a moment neither wanting to let go. It felt awkward to be holding the same cookie but it also felt awkward to be the one letting go first, as if admitting to doing something this embarrassing. Neither of them wanted to admit defeat and their eyes started narrowing at each other. Eun Yoo glanced at the cookie and then their faces, stifling a laughter. These two just had to compete in everything...

 

It felt like time had stopped and it started moving again when unexpectedly the cookie crumbled from the pressure, causing their fingers to brush against each other. Da Hyun was putting so much strength into holding onto the cookie that her hand dropped dangerously close to the plate and Sehun's fingers slid between hers – fitting so perfectly – holding her hand still to avoid the accident. Da Hyun flinched at the contact and quickly withdrew her hand.

 

“The hell?” Sehun snapped, quickly grabbing the plate and pulling it to himself. “Are you trying to destroy all of these?” He furrowed his brows in disapproval.

“Uh, sorry...” Da Hyun mumbled, her cheeks turning even redder. She wasn't sure what had just happened or how to comprehend this strange situation. If it was something related to business she could have talked her way out of it suavely but she was not even sure what kind of situation this was.

“You are impossible”, Eun Yoo huffed at Sehun. “Stop being so rude to her already. Why are you behaving like this?”

“Like what?” Sehun asked cluelessly holding the plate with cookies even closer to himself.

“And stop hogging the cookies all to yourself.” Eun Yoo tried to grab the plate but Sehun held onto it tightly.

“But honey”, he pouted cutely.

This was Da Hyun's limit, she couldn't stay there any longer. Simply everything was freaking her out including Sehun's bare chest and the fact that she had actually kissed it. Nauseous, that's how she felt. The couple gave her questioning looks when she sprang on her feet with an awkward grin on her lips.

“I uh, think I left the stove on... Gosh, I really left the stove on”, she muttered. “I need to go now. Sorry about the disturbance.” And before anyone could say anything she was already in the hallway putting on her shoes.

“Da Hyun”, Eun Yoo followed her with a worried look on her face. “Is everything all right?”

“Sure”, Da Hyun flashed a rest assuring smile. “Except that I left the stove on, haha. I'm such an idiot”, she mumbled awkwardly. “Let's have tea next time”, she added quickly before bidding her short goodbyes and leaving. Eun Yoo gaped at the closed door and then her eyes darted on something shiny on the floor.

“Oh no, she dropped her keys!”

 

There was so much anxiety in Da Hyun that she couldn't stay still to wait for the elevator so she went for the stairs. She walked down slowly, her hands safely tucked in the pockets of her jacket and her frowning face was lowered. “What the hell was that all about?” she mumbled under her breath, letting out a scoff. Her heart was beating restlessly in her chest and her cheeks burned red. “I must be going crazy.” But then again, Sehun was an awkward guy so no wonder he had made her feel awkward too, so awkward she had to escape. It was all his fault, he had made all those moves on her in the first place, he was the strange one and these were all consequences of his irresponsible actions. It was all him!

 

But these thoughts didn't calm her heart at all especially when she could still feel the lingering warmth of his touch on her skin, it burned painfully. And she wondered just what was it that had made her so nervous? Sehun was Sehun and she disliked him greatly so what the heck? It was just a simple touch, nothing more. A groan left Da Hyun's lips and she closed her eyes for a fleeting moment, cursing herself in her mind. She honestly didn't like Sehun, honestly. Was it guilt eating her up? She was feeling guilty for things she had never wanted to do in the first place. Sehun was really good at whatever he was doing to her, he always succeeded in making her feel like cr.ap.

 

When Da Hyun approached her car she realized that she didn't have her keys and her eyes shot wide open. Immediately she pat through all the pockets she had, finding nothing. She bit on her lower lip in despair, not really wanting to go back in there.

“Looking for these?” Familiar husky voice spoke from behind and she spun around her eyes meeting Sehun's. He was holding her keys in mid air and he was not shirtless anymore, he was wearing a hoodie.

“How did you?” Da Hyun frowned.

“You dropped them”, he said blandly. “I didn't know you were this careless...”

“Thanks for bringing them all the way down here”, Da Hyun said hastily, reaching for the keys but her fingers brushed against his and this time they both felt a bot of electricity. They withdrew their hands at the same time and the keys fell on the ground. Sehun's frown deepened as his eyes darted from Da Hyun to the keys, she was acting strange in his opinion. They both stared at the keys for a long moment before simultaneously reaching for them, their hands brushing together again.

 

“Jesus!” Da Hyun grunted, quickly pulling her hand away.

“The hell is your problem now?” Sehun snapped.

“Stop touching me!”

“What?” he asked in confusion. “Who is touching you?”

“Anyway, give me those”, Da Hyun's eyes darted at the keys.

“Here”, he reached out his hand and she held her palm open under the keys, waiting for him to let go. But he didn't let go right away and she pulled her hand away in annoyance just when he actually decided to let go. The keys ended up on the ground again. Sehun raised a brow, familiar playful sm

Please log in to read the full chapter