Some things you can't hide

Beyond Infinite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KRIS - THERE IS A PLACE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeuxMlkLiPk

Summer had decided not to go to the work for the rest of the week. She didn’t want to be asked about her sunglasses again. Of course, she could lie, but she had never been a good liar. She let her manager know the moment she got home from her morning walk. She knew her manager was upset but could sense the tense friction in the air when Summer spoke. It was not like Summer to speak so tensely towards her, and so, all she could do was give her well wishes for Summer to feel better.

After hanging up, she laid the phone down the desk and went to her bed. She plopped right down, and pulled the blankets over her body. With her head resting on the pillow, she closed her eyes and felt the tears burning behind her lids. She had wanted to cry, but couldn’t seem to allow herself to.

Bumping into Mark first thing in the morning was the last thing she had wanted to do. His “Sunglass” theory made no sense. He was trying to prick at her feelings, but the stupidity of the nonsense that he spouted out his mouth was even more enraging. She saw the way his eyes moved in curiosity and confusion when she stomped off. She saw how lost he looked, and she wondered how anyone could ever have an actual conversation with Mark.

She let out a heavy sigh, and snuggled deeper into her sheets.

Shaking the thoughts of Mark away and last night’s terror, she fell into a deep sleep, dreaming of lost love.

---

Night had fallen when Summer’s mother arrived home. The door to Summer’s room was open, and she walked in. She wasn’t surprised to find her daughter curled up and fast asleep. She stared at her daughter, and her eyes grew soft and pitiful. If only Kai was still here.

Kai had been one of the rare ones that brought out the best in her. He was the only one that knew about her situation at home with her father, and how abusive he could be when he was under the influence…

She sat down on the bed, the mattress deflated slightly from the compressed weight. “Summer,” she shook her daughter gently. “Did you eat dinner yet?”

Summer awoke instantly from her mother’s touch. Confused and groggy, she turned her head and saw her mother. The hallway light was lit up, and she could see half of her mother’s face. “Aw damn,” Summer rubbed her face and then let out a yawn. “I slept through my day.”

“Hungry?” Her mother asked, worried.

Summer blinked her eyes, adjusting them to the light outside in the hallway. She nodded, “Yeah. Just a little bit.”

“Okay, good. I brought take out home. Fried chicken with extra packs of sweet chili sauce, your favourite.” Her mother smiled, running her fingers through Summer’s messy bedhead.

The two of them got up from the bed and made their way down the stairs. The kitchen light was on, and the scent of fresh, crispy chicken was in the air. Summer’s mouth began to water at the thought of it. She didn’t eat anything the whole day, and the hunger was really starting to kick in.

Her mother set the plates out for them, and Summer began to eat away.

“Eat slowly, you’ll get a stomach ache, Summer.” Her mother scolded her.

Summer made an effort to smile, “I haven’t had these in a while. Thanks momma!”

Unfortunately, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter